• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

I really don't understand why the success of a setting has such a huge impact on whether it returns or not. At the end of the day, the cards dictate the success of a block. Sure, flavor is great and all, but it's not like Return to Ravnica had any leg up on quality or that a return to Kamigawa would have a harder starting point to work from. They've got to come up with interesting, playable, and new feeling cards regardless of the setting they use; I'm not going to be optimistic or pessimistic based on how many of those they happened to create for the last block in the setting.

When a block is successful, people tend to remember it fondly and that is a natural boost for inital sales of the return set. It's as simple as that.

I remember going to the original Ravnica prerelease making a Boros deck my best friend making a dimir deck and we ended up playing against each other he had

54.jpg

and I could do nothing against it. I had Agrus Kos

190.jpg

and already lost game 1 so decided to just fuck it and attack with everything and won. First time either of us went to extra turns and drew.

Ah good times. I wish I could redo all my prereleases to see what I'd do different. I did not like RtR nearly as much as the original, but I didn't like guildpact and dissension at all, same with Gatecrash and Dragon's Maze

Hey now, Return to Ravnica may not be beloved, but I'll always love it for what it did for U/G and changing Simic from a lame mutant experiment guild to a badass "let's make just a little tweak to improve its competitiveness" Merfolk evo guild.

Only being the second block following my involvement with Magic I thought that RTR was fairly well regarded? Not breaking expectations nor especially amazing, but a decent enough block? Apart from DM.

I know that for me a tribal based block can't come soon enough.

Also in regards to full art lands, they've been confirmed for Oathkeepers, so I'm just going to get one of those fatpacks instead!

I'd probably like it more nowadays but I generally disliked small sets compared to big sets back then.

I disliked them mainly because Gruul wasn't what I hoped for with RG which was my favourite colour combination at the time. And Izzet, Rakdos, Orzhov, Azorius and Simic were all colour combinations I wasn't interested in at the time

Firemind

Gruul combo'd well with Izzet and Simic. Play a bunch of creatures, tempo, sometimes both (Ogre Savant, Steamcore Weird) and beat some face in. Gruul had Streetbreaker Wurm, Ghor-Clan Savage and Savage Twister, which were massive beatings.

My favourite combo though was Grixis. Dimir was alright in 3xRAV, Transmute was a bit slow with a lot of filler, but the two later sets catapulted it into one of the best value chains imaginable. You generally only needed a couple of creatures to win. Never did open a Niv-Mizzet though.

Firemind

I like that flavour text more than the fake math one. Too bad about the shitty foiling.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181842215]I hate watching this Jacob Wilson draft. He's passing every combo in the cube. I hope he loses in the first round after passing Dark Depth + Thespian's Stage :mad:[/QUOTE]
First five picks: four lands and Ral Zarek ayy lmao

I like that flavour text more than the fake math one. Too bad about the shitty foiling.

First five picks: four lands and Ral Zarek ayy lmao

It's okay the cards been used in my Izzet deck for a while, for flavour.

Watching the draft, I was like "no shit you're open drafting 4 different coloured lands."

He did great though considering what a mess he drafted.

Firemind

UGIN REKT

He would have won the game if he had the double green for Eternal Witness. That's what you get though for trying to play Eternal Witness, Vedalken Shackles and Kiki-Jiki in the same deck. He didn't even have the Pestermite which he could have taken. :lol

Haines

Banned
Trying to watch some people play bfz draft mtgo

My heart goes out to any poor soul who endures the blandness of that client. What a shit show.

Crocodile

Pro-Tour this weekend :)

Probably won't be able to watch much if any of it though

Can't wait for cards I know I wanted but wasn't able to get in time to spike, hurray :p

In the sense that it works out great for the shitty people who roll endless parades of newbs out of money cards, I guess.

When I first ever started drafting it was with rare redrafting. It's often cheaper, it encourages everybody to play out their games, it rewards skill more than other draft types and sometimes you just don't have fucking prize packs to give out. It isn't ideal when you have significant time constraints or a running like 3+ pods at a time and it less ideal in environments without stable communities. But that's why there are different ways to do things - choose the one that works best in your circumstance. Considering that nobody is dumping this on people as a surprise or a "gotcha" I'm not sure I get this "scamming the newbs". Feels like its defending/arguing some strawmen.

Wulfric

They sell exclusive merch at the Pro Tour, right? I was thinking of grabbing a PT Milwaukee playmat and snapping a few pics before heading to class today.

Hopefully the result from this weekend's tournament trickles down to FNM. Standard has dwindled to 8-11 people locally ever since rotation. Nearly everyone at the LGS has switched to drafting. I think Jace has got everyone spooked.

OnPoint

In regards to Maro: He made a post the other day about Volrath stealing Slivers from another, non-Rath plane. Can someone ask him what plane they originated from, and if he can't say, if we'll ever find out?

Tuning Travis Woo's Mono Green Ramp deck:

28 Creatures:
  • 4 Rattleclaw Mystic
  • 4 Leaf Gilder
  • 4 Whisperer of the Wilds
  • 4 Surrak Huntcaller
  • 4 Oblivion Sower
  • 4 Greenwarden of Murasa
  • 4 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

4 Spells:
  • 4 See the Unwritten

5 Artifacts/Enchantments:
  • 1 From Beyond
  • 4 Hedron Archive

23 Land:
  • 4 Spawning Bed
  • 2 Mortuary Mire
  • 17 Forest

Sideboard:
  • 2 Plummet
  • 4 Hangarback Walker
  • 1 Evolutionary Leap
  • 4 Jaddi Offshoot
  • 1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
  • 1 Nissa's Revelation
  • 1 Conclave Naturalists
  • 1 Whisperwood Elemental

Surrak into See the Unwritten -> Ulamog + Greenwarden is just dumb. It's a basic 2-4-6 ramp deck with some explosive draws and good juice in the long game.

Turn 2 whisperer
Turn 3 Surrak
Turn 4 See the Unwritten + Haste Ulamog

LET'S GO

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Probably still traumatized by Twitch chat. It's a different work culture there they don't have a tolerance for the dank memes.

In regards to Maro: He made a post the other day about Volrath stealing Slivers from another, non-Rath plane. Can someone ask him what plane they originated from, and if he can't say, if we'll ever find out?

That's something that's been known for a while, and "Sliver Home Plane" has often been on lists of planes people want. I don't believe they actually planned out what that plane is, but it is something they're aware that people are interested in.

bigkrev

That's something that's been known for a while, and "Sliver Home Plane" has often been on lists of planes people want. I don't believe they actually planned out what that plane is, but it is something they're aware that people are interested in.

I think the violent reaction to Slivers in M14/15 has shelved any idea of new Slivers for at least a few more years.

I think the violent reaction to Slivers in M14/15 has shelved any idea of new Slivers for at least a few more years.

Besides the design, what I disliked about the slivers was how boring their abilities were; though M15 did have some interesting ones.
Image.ashx

I feel like slivers are at their best when they're inexplicably copying abilities of older cards. That is to say, Time Spiral block slivers.

Outpost Sliver - 5R
Creature - Sliver
As Outpost Sliver enters the battlefield, choose Khans or Dragons.
• Khans — Sliver creatures you control have, "At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card."
• Dragons — Sliver creatures you control have, "Whenever a creature you control leaves the battlefield, this creature deals 1 damage to target creature or player."
2/2

Haly

What if we combined Slivers with Ravnica Guilds for maximum pandering?

Sliver abilities should be symmetrical. That creates interesting gameplay.
fight me

I agree for the most part. I think having them get one-sided as they go up in rarity would be a good way to have their cake and eat it too. Commons slivers share, rare slivers are just for you.

OnPoint

I know it was known for a while. I just want a follow up from him.

Sliver abilities should be symmetrical. That creates interesting gameplay.
fight me

I agree.

I agree for the most part. I think having them get one-sided as they go up in rarity would be a good way to have their cake and eat it too. Commons slivers share, rare slivers are just for you.

Uh, wouldn't it be the exact opposite if they want to help new players and prevent this situation from coming up in Limited?

And then if you do that, you get the situation that the rare slivers are inexplicably weaker than the common slivers, so you may as well makes all slivers just affect your own stuff.

Haly

Visual design was the big one. There's lots of things that makes slivers attractive but with Magic art design being so heavily referential, they were a unique tribe in a sea of derivative designs.

kirblar

Slivers being symmetrical causes issues in Limited. It doesn't come up in Constructed enough to make it relevant enough to most games.

ultron87

Sliver mirrors with symmetrical Slivers are dumb. If they get ahead of you you can't play your cards because it helps them more than you, so you just get even farther behind.

The lack of the design space of Plague Sliver is an unfortunate loss, but it is worth it.

Firemind

Sliver mirrors with symmetrical Slivers are dumb. If they get ahead of you you can't play your cards because it helps them more than you, so you just get even farther behind.

The lack of the design space of Plague Sliver is an unfortunate loss, but it is worth it.
Uhm

There's a reason why Time Spiral is an awesome limited format. There's still unexplored design space for slivers.

Haly

okay but how do the Eldrazi fit into this
and Jace, something with Jace (e: nvm, beaten)

Maybe Jace, the living Guildpact is using his Guild magic to breed an army of Hybrid mana Slivers to take down the Eldrazi.

But something goes wrong and the Slivers adopt Eldrazi characteristics and becomes Eldrazi Slivers???

For some, including yours truly, there are actually three problems with the new 'Slivers': The visual design, the card gameplay, and the flavor disconnect.
As for the art issue, had they spread the change over a longer period of time and shown intermediate stages in the evolution from Sliver to 'Sliver', I for one could have been on board with the change. Plus, there'd always be the option to simply reprint them with different art and more traditional designs.
On the other hand, the gameplay and flavor issues (one-sided 'Slivers' simply aren't as interesting as symmetrical Slivers and the supposed lack of confusion during mirror matches is in no way enough to make up for that, plus they fly in the face of all the established lore) can't be fixed without errata or retcons, so in my view at least, they're the big issues.

Slivers should be symmetrical, or they should not be at all.

I can't say I agree with you guys about wanting slivers to affect all guys. Going from my reaction when I first encountered protection, where I was incredulous when his creature not only couldn't be blocked but could block my stuff all day, I probably would have been playing slivers as though they only affected my stuff and then when my opponent pulled out his own slivers and got my benefits, I would think he was cheating. I didn't actually encounter slivers until way later, so that wasn't an issue for me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Martell's draft strategy there seemed aggressively poor. He basically just avoided green at all costs until he drafted a horrible deck.

Martell's draft strategy there seemed aggressively poor. He basically just avoided green at all costs until he drafted a horrible deck.

The same thing happened to Shahar at champs. He avoided the best deck that came through his chair because it was an archetype he considered "bad" and 0-3d the draft.

You see this from time to time from players on teams that do a lot of prep work. They get these ideas in their head about forcing and/or anti-forcing, and sometimes they get punished for it.

Firemind

Yes, detrimental slivers as a counter are interesting. I said that. That doesn't really answer my point.
Why doesn't it answer your point? If you're that far behind, you were losing anyway. If you're about equal, it opens a lot of interesting decision trees.

I never really encountered actual sliver mirrors anyway; most of them have good stats because they're symmetrical. You didn't need slivers to make Psionic Sliver and Opposition Sliver good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The same thing happened to Shahar at champs. He avoided the best deck that came through his chair because it was an archetype he considered "bad" and 0-3d the draft.

You see this from time to time from players on teams that do a lot of prep work. They get these ideas in their head about forcing and/or anti-forcing, and sometimes they get punished for it.

The inbred testing problem.

Or as I call it, "the LSV problem" where LSV mentions some archetype is not that good and nobody ever drafts it so you can win draft pods with RW Equipment constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom