• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hard to get excited about U/B Aristocrats when I have no idea what it is, even from the few minutes we saw on camera

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
May I ask why these decks are called "X Aristocrats"? Is there a card called "Aristocrats" in BFZ or do decks simply play like Innistrad Aristocrats?

May I ask why these decks are called "X Aristocrats"? Is there a card called "Aristocrats" in BFZ or do decks simply play like Innistrad Aristocrats?

It's just because the deck focuses on sacrificing a lot of creatures to boost one creature and drain life using another, like Innistrad Aristocrats.

And also maybe a sideways reference to the Aristocrats joke.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Just because the sac deck is similar to the Innistrad Aristocrats deck (that had aristocrats obviously).

now tell me what CoCo means. off to FNM!

177.jpg

My Dragonmaster arrived but I still might not go to the PPTQ tomorrow. Don't really want to buy Ojutai's Commands when I've got three on the way, and I don't have the sideboard cards I really want(like Surge). That $600 for first place, though...

Efro actually proposed to his girlfriend at the Magic HOF induction ceremony.

I have no words.
I was testing with my roommate with the PT on at our table, and Efro starts talking so long that I was like, "Is he gonna propose to his girlfriend right now?" And then he calls her up lol
Jeskai Ascendancy tokens is going to be a thing isn't it =/ not a fan of the first few decks shown so far.

Stop seeing a deck once then going into snap depression all the time -_-

Just like the time you got mad that Abzan was the "best deck" again after I beat you like once and complained that GW sucked right before it was a mirror match in the finals at an open.

And then you complained again anyway because of how expensive GW was. :-|

Happy to see TC being played instead of DTT.

It's the correct choice.

Angry Grimace

And then at the end, your opponent asks what you call this deck, and you go "The Aristocrats!"

I typed out the Aristocrats joke with Sultai Emissary and Zulaport Cutthroat, and then thought better lol

Angry Grimace

I don't know why Ross kept using the 0 instead of the Emblem, especially when it killed him the first game.

Just came back from Drafting, went 2-1 with a RW deck.Wanted to go allies but someone else was drafting all of them away.

Ended up Landfall (3 Makindi Sliderunners) + the Menace Ally (which is insane) and half a dozen combat tricks.
Serpentine Spike was the MVP.

In my opening pack I was very tempted to just take the foil island, but took a Gideon's Reproach instead (which is insane with the Sliderunner) only to get passed a 2nd foil island which I also didn't pick. Feelsbadman
Topdecked a blighted gorge one game. Once again didn't play a single Eldrazi but the one round I lost was against an UB Eldrazi deck.

Ended up with a nice FNM "Äußester Preis"

In the Prizepacks I got a 4th Zada hedron grinder.

Haines

Banned
Just came back from Drafting, went 2-1 with a RW deck.Wanted to go allies but someone else was drafting all of them away.

Ended up Landfall (3 Makindi Sliderunners) + the Menace Ally (which is insane) and half a dozen combat tricks.
Serpentine Spike was the MVP.

In my opening pack I was very tempted to just take the foil island, but took a Gideon's Reproach instead (which is insane with the Sliderunner) only to get passed a 2nd foil island which I also didn't pick. Feelsbadman
Topdecked a blighted gorge one game. Once again didn't play a single Eldrazi but the one round I lost was against an UB Eldrazi deck.

Ended up with a nice FNM "Äußester Preis"

In the Prizepacks I got a 4th Zada hedron grinder.

Yeah that menace ability seemed strong on allies to me. havent seen it in play yet tho

Favorites (let's be honest, this changes all the time):
  • White Spell - Balance
  • Blue Spell - Upheaval
  • Black Spell - Shriekmaw
  • Red Spell - Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
  • Green Spell - Craterhoof Behemoth
  • Gold Spell - Desolation Angel (technically not gold, but practically gold)
  • Colorless Spell - Karn Liberated
  • Land - Ancient Tomb

Still catching up on the thread, but this list is legit gross, lol.

Got this in the Booster box me and my friends are doing a sealed draft with tonight. So awesome!

So is this, hahah- congrats, man!

Haines

Banned
Wow.

Pretty sick.

Going to my second sealed tmrw as i have been working during fmn drafts. Ive amounted lots of little questions so going to post em up tmrw morning and let you guys rip after i see if i can find some answers from google, but some are sunjective to opinion.

Either way excited to go with at least the knowledge of what im walking into under my belt so i that i can focus on playing and having fun

When I first ever started drafting it was with rare redrafting. It's often cheaper, it encourages everybody to play out their games, it rewards skill more than other draft types and sometimes you just don't have fucking prize packs to give out.

Which is exactly why shitty people use it to steal from less skilled players.

In regards to Maro: He made a post the other day about Volrath stealing Slivers from another, non-Rath plane. Can someone ask him what plane they originated from, and if he can't say, if we'll ever find out?

Both Rath and Mirrodin were planes populated entirely with critters stolen from other planes so they always have "the origin of...!" in their back pocket as a random bit of spot color for a new plane (the way they had Kor show up in Zendikar.)

That said, all current indications are that the slivers are originally from Shandalar. I'm more interested in where the Soltari and Dauthi came from.

Sliver abilities should be symmetrical. That creates interesting gameplay.
fight me

<thing that makes mirror matches vaguely more annoying and literally cannot come up any other time> is never actually interesting. Shit like this is exactly why R&D (rightfully) don't listen to old crabby players about anything.

traveler

Not Wario
So many tech/sb choices. Need to make some decisions for the deck soon and get to bed for states. I saw Majors was running Avatars of the Resolute in megamorph now to shore up the Jeskai matchup, but I haven't tested it out at all and he doesn't seem to be doing so well in the PT.

Which is exactly why shitty people use it to steal from less skilled players.

Both Rath and Mirrodin were planes populated entirely with critters stolen from other planes so they always have "the origin of...!" in their back pocket as a random bit of spot color for a new plane (the way they had Kor show up in Zendikar.)

That said, all current indications are that the slivers are originally from Shandalar. I'm more interested in where the Soltari and Dauthi came from.

<thing that makes mirror matches vaguely more annoying and literally cannot come up any other time> is never actually interesting. Shit like this is exactly why R&D (rightfully) don't listen to old crabby players about anything.

I'm not sure why new players would play limited in the first place to build their collection. Drafts typically have a higher buyin than the cost of your product, so if new, crappy players are trying to obtain great cards, they should just straight up buy product instead of competing in drafts, if we're assuming they won't win at all.

Secondly, not rare redrafting sends a signal to players to rare draft, instead of trying to improve their skillset by always evaluating the best pick for their draft, meaning you're actively hampering their skill development.

I hate players who take advantage of new guys (or anyone, really) as much or more than the next guy, but I think this preaching against rare redraft is misguided.

pigeon

Banned
I'm not sure why new players would play limited in the first place to build their collection. Drafts typically have a higher buyin than the cost of your product, so if new, crappy players are trying to obtain great cards, they should just straight up buy product instead of competing in drafts, if we're assuming they won't win at all.

I mean, theoretically new players might play limited because it's a fun way to play Magic and one that stores and experienced players do often? You can't assume that newbies are going to make economically rational decisions all the time. They're newbies. It's a good idea, then, to eliminate decisions that are basically unfair to them.

Secondly, not rare redrafting sends a signal to players to rare draft, instead of trying to improve their skillset by always evaluating the best pick for their draft, meaning you're actively hampering their skill development.

I don't think much of this argument -- as Pascal Maynard will tell you, even high-level pros rare draft on occasion. But even if we allow it, those players who rare draft significantly will just lose more. That's an educational feedback loop!

Angry Grimace

My buddy got one pity pack. Scalding Tarn. I got 5 packs and nothing but full art lands lol.

I can't be the only one who is not feeling Ojutai's Command at all in the Jeskai Black deck. Utter End has performed really well in its place plus 2 Soulfire in pace of the Dragonmasters. Liking the one-of Sorin in place of one Gideon. I beat a guy on Sigil of the Empty Throne(!) with Sorin's emblem and Soulfire recurring Crackling Doom to pick up stragglers and get him really slowly to 0.

kirblar

I suspect Evan's going to Twitch. They're in the midst of a hiring spree, have a ton of community partnership slots (but none advertised for MTG), and he was just in SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom