• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to try out one of my old decks, Devour, it's awful.

The mana base is horrendous for being a tri colour deck, it's way too expensive and has no way to protect the creatures.

But I got to sacrifice a 4 power creature to Disciple of Bolas and got my combo off to do 24 damage in 1 turn.

Endreck Sahr into Predator Dragon, giving me 6 tokens, Devour 10 creatures, it gets 20 +1/+1 counters.

Felt really nostalgic.

How you phrase that:

"This is the biggest moment of MY life, but I'd rather it was the biggest moment of OUR lives."

I would never do that, seems tacky.

You know, if they're happy, then awesome. I can't hold it against them.

But man, I agree. I just...can't imagine doing that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think the real question is which story you'd rather tell your kids:

"I proposed to your mom in the middle of a Magic: the Gathering tournament" OR "I proposed to your mom in the middle of a John Cena match at a Monday Night Raw."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"I proposed to your mother with a set of Moxes."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jeskai Ascendancy tokens is going to be a thing isn't it =/ not a fan of the first few decks shown so far.

Need my Monastery Mentors to go up in price!

(Virulent Plagues existence is going to keep it to a deck that has trouble being super dominant)

Angry Grimace

Gideon goes in way more decks than Elspeth, though.

Firemind

>Dark Jeskai
>Blue Abzan

failfish.png

Gideon goes in way more decks than Elspeth, though.
Gideon as a Planeswalker or this specific Gideon?

My main issue is that WotC tries to make each walker have their own flavor in their colour pie segment(Ajani tends to care about life when he's MonoWhite/buffing your whole army through the use of counters, Elspeth was Tokens/Emblems, Gideon tended to be about controlling your opponent/animating himself/protecting your stuff). Gideon 4.0 is Elspeth's things attached to Gideon's Animate mechanic.

It's kind of meh flavorwise to me, especially since he makes 2/2 Knights despite being a soldier.

kirblar

When Elspeth comes back, they may be altering her mechanics due to the story.

Flip Liliana is probably worth grabbing now (it's as low as its gonna be) if its in G/B aristocrats.

Violet_0

Banned
so how much of a target do you become when you show up with Phenax, God of Deception (or well, any mill deck) to a commander game?

OnPoint

When Elspeth comes back, they may be altering her mechanics due to the story.

Flip Liliana is probably worth grabbing now (it's as low as its gonna be) if its in G/B aristocrats.

I imagine Elspeth returns as a God, not as a planeswalker.

Man... don't say stuff like that about flip LIliana. I probably gotta get her if that's the case.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
so how much of a target do you become when you show up with Phenax, God of Deception (or well, any mill deck) to a commander game?

Might as well be a bulls eye

With that said, my best story playing against a Phenax deck was when I had like 80 cards in my graveyard and I managed to draw and play this guy

q87z5zjcqk_en.jpg

Ended up being like a 62/48, he conceded with "yeah I've got nothing for that"

kirblar

The flipwalkers are absurdly hard to reprint long term. This is likely her low ebb (because she's good in Modern/Commander and won't crash too bad on rotation.)

I imagine Elspeth returns as a God, not as a planeswalker.

Man... don't say stuff like that about flip LIliana. I probably gotta get her if that's the case.

I like the idea I've seen around that Elspeth will be the face of block 2 of Return to Theros and will have a devotion Trigger flip thing, though the logistics on that are shakey(though if Theros does go from PseudoGreece to PseudoRome it could be a fun idea to show the change).

Granted, the Flipcards are hard to make and if I had to choose between Flip Theros and Flip Khans(The two timelines meeting means they'd either need like 25 cards per faction max in the large set excluding lands or some way to show the conflict on both sides) Flip Khans all the way.

Granted, this is my pipe dream.

I swear if this guy says "temmer" one more time...

EDIT: Now that does sound like a sick curve. T2 Rattleclaw Mystic, T3 Beastcaller Savant, Mantis Rider.

I do love the balls on this guy to put Mantis Rider and Savage Knuckleblade in the same deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom