• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
I'm not sure why new players would play limited in the first place to build their collection. Drafts typically have a higher buyin than the cost of your product, so if new, crappy players are trying to obtain great cards, they should just straight up buy product instead of competing in drafts, if we're assuming they won't win at all.
New players draft because it's fun and because it's a good way to learn deckbuilding in general.

I used to be for rare redrafts, and then I realized how shitty they must feel for any new player who opens up a planeswalker.

kirblar

Expanding collections via limited play is absolutely something players do. I did it for many years. Kids/Teens don't have adult budgets.

I'm not sure why new players would play limited in the first place to build their collection.

They're not doing it to build their collection, but you can assume that people who are relatively new also have small collections and can benefit a lot from even a few good cards acquired in the course of play.

Secondly, not rare redrafting sends a signal to players to rare draft

Which is what people should do in 95% of cases if they're actually looking out for their own interests, so I don't really see an issue with that.

I'll need to look over the U/B aristocrats list. I tried Golgari 'crats and it isn't good without blue, I wonder how Silumgar 'crats runs in comparison.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It makes me laugh they fucked up so bad making JTMS and then they fucked up again, and with another Jace.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But JTMS actually is pretty sweet. JVP is just kind of generically good.

On the bright side, this block being the bullshit it is with nearly every deck being $300+ has gotten me to begin to assemble an EDH and Modern Deck, so that's nice on that part. I'm not drafting the set anymore, so that's effectively $20 saved a week. I'm actually at the point where I'm not buying any packs/singles unless I need to from Standard.

On a Commander note, I'm stuck between Alesha/Derevi/Trostani right now for the first deck I'm building. Anyone have any suggestions on how to build Derevi/Alesha? I'm mostly following TCC's Trostani EDH Deck advice.

Violet_0

Banned
whenever I come up with an idea for a EDH deck and look up other decks on the internet I come across infinite combos and it's frustrating. Phenax and B/U mill have quite a few easy-to-do infinite mill combos. It seems like I'm just gimping myself if I don't use those but at the same time infinite combos are just so lame

Yeah that menace ability seemed strong on allies to me. havent seen it in play yet tho

you really don't need many allies to benefit from it.

It'll get your creatures through at least once or lead to favourable trades and it's a constant threat the opponent has to keep in mind since he doesn't know your deck and lack of allies.

Firemind

whenever I come up with an idea for a EDH deck and look up other decks on the internet I come across infinite combos and it's frustrating. Phenax and B/U mill have quite a few easy-to-do infinite mill combos. It seems like I'm just gimping myself if I don't use those but at the same time infinite combos are just so lame
That's why it's good to have an array of decks of varying power levels depending on your group. You have your I win deck, your fun deck, your screw your opponents deck, your political deck. I start with my fun deck and if they play unfair decks, I change to my unfair deck. It's not like cramming all of the infinite combos your colours can allow will make for a good deck. I did that once with Niv-Mizzet and I found out I should really just focus on a few combos. Too many times you draw one of the combo pieces that does nothing with another combo piece.

Violet_0

Banned
That's why it's good to have an array of decks of varying power levels depending on your group. You have your I win deck, your fun deck, your screw your opponents deck, your political deck. I start with my fun deck and if they play unfair decks, I change to my unfair deck. It's not like cramming all of the infinite combos your colours can allow will make for a good deck. I did that once with Niv-Mizzet and I found out I should really just focus on a few combos. Too many times you draw one of the combo pieces that does nothing with another combo piece.

well, but with black you get access to 10+ tutors and you can just look for your combo pieces, and blue gives you another few tutor-like cards as well. Like, with Phenax as your general for example you just need to look for Eater of the Dead and, assuming 1 in four in all the graveyards is a creature card, you can potentially mill out all your opponents in a single turn. Or a Duskmantle Guildmage and Mindcrank loop that is just slightly harder to set up

I'll have to come up with another idea for an EDH deck because the mill variant doesn't seem very interesting. Most of the other cards in the deck consists of creatures that just get huge from cards in graveyards, you tap them, there goes 30 cards, untap them and do it again with a doubled effect. Meh

I mainly just want to build something around the Theros gods because those are some of my favorite cards. I'll have another look at an enchantments deck

Firemind

Well, yeah, if you can afford all the tutors. :p

Even a Revised Demonic Tutor will set you back $10 despite not being constructed playable anywhere else.

I paid 20 bucks for a Gamble. Madness.

Violet_0

Banned
Well, yeah, if you can afford all the tutors. :p

Even a Revised Demonic Tutor will set you back $10 despite not being constructed playable anywhere else.

I paid 20 bucks for a Gamble. Madness.

at the moment I'm just looking at magic online, and once I move and find a decent store with an active player base I might get a paper deck as well. Generally the MTGO prices seem to be a lot cheaper than the paper cards, particularly for older cards. Most of the tutor-effect cards (not talking about the really expensive ones) are under a dollar, from what I've seen

El Topo

It makes me laugh they fucked up so bad making JTMS and then they fucked up again, and with another Jace.

Eh, I doubt either of those was an actual fuck up. You can't tell me they didn't know what they were doing, especially with JTMS. They put Unsummon and Brainstorm on a 4CC planeswalker with 4 abilities. They knew.

El Topo

Mike Turian got canned as a developer after the debacle it caused in Standard.

I just have a hard time believing they didn't know it was going to be insane. Granted, they probably didn't expect it to be that problematic, but still. What were they thinking?

Firemind

at the moment I'm just looking at magic online, and once I move and find a decent store with an active player base I might get a paper deck as well. Generally the MTGO prices seem to be a lot cheaper than the paper cards, particularly for older cards. Most of the tutor-effect cards (not talking about the really expensive ones) are under a dollar, from what I've seen
Oh I didn't know you wanted to played online. Yeah, prices have been tanking lately due to lack of sustainable growth for eternal formats. I disassembled my legacy deck because no one was playing legacy. What's your handle? Maybe I can help you test your EDH decks.

Violet_0

Banned
Oh I didn't know you wanted to played online. Yeah, prices have been tanking lately due to lack of sustainable growth for eternal formats. I disassembled my legacy deck because no one was playing legacy. What's your handle? Maybe I can help you test your EDH decks.

waiting for an email from support because I forgot, haven't used MTGO in years heh
I'll pm you once I have reactivated my account and got used to the controls again, would love to play some games with fellow Gaffers

El Topo

BBE kept it in check until rotation.

Some would say BBE wasn't exactly their brightest moment either. Then again, sometimes the line is thin between "very powerful" and "too good". It's just that I've heard the whole "We changed it last-minute without testing" narrative a bit too often. I might just be too cynical though, I admit that.

Eh, I only draft anyway, so as long as they don't screw that up I'm fine with whatever they do.

Firemind

Yeah, it'd be great to have an online EDH group. Any takers?

Regrettably, JTMS made sure we're not going to see a walker with four abilities for quite a while. In a way, he's a bit like Jesus. Jace died for our sins.

Haines

Banned
Ok here comes my list of newb questions. Im a sealed amd soon to be draft player for context. No standard here yet.

1. If i play something that allowes me to landfall on opponents turn i get that trigger til end of his turn correct?

2. Do you guys like mires malicein sealed? Or any discard really.

3. Spell shrivel. Is it weaker bc you have to play it on opponents turn?

4.where can i learn draft fundamentals. Im sure theres a shit ton of articles videos. So wondering if theres certain ones you guys would pick over others

5. Vampiric rites? Seems strong? Sac dudes that will die anyways blocking?

6. Indestructable. I thought originallythis just meant things couldnt die. But i need to google some more bc i think the mechanic is more complicated than that?

7. Regenerate. Another one that seems more complicated than just paying for it to brinb it back from graveyard? Gunna have to google it too

8. Playing at a draft. Dunno what a card does or want to check cards. Saw people at pro tourr just grabbing them. Is that ok. Can i just touch the opponents cards?

9. Can i shuffle my cards after my opponent cuts them/shuffles them on me? My friend told me ots possible bit i have to ask him if he wants to shuffle or cut gain.

Just a lot f random thoughts i had added up in my phone.

Answer/ discuss as you would like.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
1. If i play something that allowes me to landfall on opponents turn i get that trigger til end of his turn correct?
Yup
2. Do you guys like mires malicein sealed? Or any discard really.
Its not awful but don't prioritize it, I'd say. Its a filler spell if you're struggling to reach enough playables
3. Spell shrivel. Is it weaker bc you have to play it on opponents turn?
Not because you have to play it on their turn, but its sort of weak overall. For three mana I really want a hard counter, not something they can get around by paying 4 in the late game
5. Vampiric rites? Seems strong? Sac dudes that will die anyways blocking?
Not super strong unless, maybe, you have a deck built around abusing that effect. You can draft such a deck, but on its own the cards also just okay
8. Playing at a draft. Dunno what a card does or want to check cards. Saw people at pro tourr just grabbing them. Is that ok. Can i just touch the opponents cards?
I wouldn't just grab them, that's a bit rude. Just say "may I?" with your hand over the card, every reasonable person will just nod and let you take a look

Counters are bad in limited because it's all about developing your board state. That said, it's decent sideboard material in draft or just playable in sealed if you're light on removal and need more interaction.

Haines

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181989629]Counters are bad in limited because it's all about developing your board state. That said, it's decent sideboard material in draft or just playable in sealed if you're light om removal and need more interaction.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense. I guess i need to get the difference between a counter and removal through my head. Coming from hearthstone where dont really have both, so i think my head percieved them as kind of the same thing.

Counters are "bad" in limited for a lot of reasons:

1) You typically don't have a lot of instants in a limited deck. If your opponent doesn't play a spell, you went an entire turn cycle without spending mana. Unless you're already ahead, this is bad. This is why we say that counters are only good in decks with lots of other instants; for example, in Dragons Maze draft, it wasn't hard to draft a deck with 6-7 instants/flash spells at the 4cc slot, making even "bad" counterspells like Mindstatic playable because you could just play Eyes in the Skies instead (I actually loved this deck in that format; one of the few things I liked about DGR).

2) To the above point, what this typically means is that you're "priced into" countering anything that your opponent plays or risk losing massive tempo. This means that counterspells typically trade with replacement level cards and are often unimpactful.

3) You often hear people say that counterspells are better in sealed. This is because sealed decks are usually less synergistic, less tempo based, and generally have a more uneven power level distribution. That is, they play more replacement level cards without direct synergies, but they have a few very powerful individual cards that need to be answered. Beggars can't be choosers: you'll play Cancel because it's the card in your pool that can answer your opponents bomb, and it'll answer Gideon just as easily as it will Planar Outburst or Emeria Angel. And if you take a turn off to hold up a counterspell, it's probably not as big of a deal as it would be against a draft deck.

Santiako

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181958981]All but one of my maindeck cards arrived(the second prairie stream), and I worked out the numbers for my sideboard plans so I've decided to go to the 2k tomorrow after all.

My final list for the tournament:[/QUOTE]

I just checked and my DCI number is two full numbers shorter than yours, is it still valid or would i need to make a new one should I decide to go to a tourney?

I just checked and my DCI number is two full numbers shorter than yours, is it still valid or would i need to make a new one should I decide to go to a tourney?
It just means you registered your number before mine. Mine is relatively recent because I forgot my original number from before I took a break from magic and made a new one.

Santiako

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";181992095]It just means you registered your number before mine. Mine is relataively recent because I forgot my original number from before i took a break from magic and made a new one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I registered it way back on 2002 or so. I just wanted to know if at any point they made a clean break and started again with the numbers. I'm planning on starting to play again after my 10 years break.

Bonus question. Why is pilgrims eye so good? I get the mana fixing but the body you get pings for 1 at best?
It's mana fixing that works in any deck that can trade with a scion or a nettle drone or whatever. It's not insane but you basically always play it, especially if you splash a card. Mana fixing that develops your board is very good.

bigkrev

6. Indestructable. I thought originallythis just meant things couldnt die. But i need to google some more bc i think the mechanic is more complicated than that?

It can't die due to Damage or being destroyed. The card can still be exiled, sacrificed, or killed via a state based effect (ie, an Indestructible creature having it's toughness reduced to zero by spell effect). Note that a card like Touch of the Void (3 Damage to a creature, if it would die, exile it) would not deal with an indestructible creature, because it needs to "die" in order for the exile to trigger, and indestructable prevents it from dying.
7. Regenerate. Another one that seems more complicated than just paying for it to brinb it back from graveyard? Gunna have to google it too

You can pay the regeneration cost of a card at any time to set up a "regen shield" for the turn. If that creature would die (not be exiled), you remove all damage from the card, remove the card from combat if it was in combat, and tap it if it was untapped. Note that if something reduces it's toughness to zero, regenerating does nothing, as it would regenerate with zero toughness and die again due to state based effects. You can only use regen when the card is on the battlefield, not when it's in the graveyard.

You should always ask before you just grab cards, but yes, you are allowed to read any card in play, and can ask a judge for an oracle wording of a card if it's a foregn card or you want clarification.

9. Can i shuffle my cards after my opponent cuts them/shuffles them on me? My friend told me ots possible bit i have to ask him if he wants to shuffle or cut gain.

No. You may not shuffle your deck after your opponent has shuffled and/or cut your deck.

Regeneration is super weird. I had an opponent Turn to Frog my Ancient Silverback after blocks. I regenerated it in response. Once it turned into a frog, he let damage happen and the 0/1 frog regenerated. Then he shot it with a Lightning Strike. The poor guy next to us had his mind blown at that series of events.

bigkrev

My DCI number is an 8 digit one, I'm not sure how old it actually is though (my guess is it's from 2002). It's my second number, as I lost my original one.

I lost my original number when I came back to Magic. It was probably an 8-digiter. My new one is ten digits, and strangely, when I finally signed up for a Wizards account, they issued me a new DCI number that was considerably lower than the number I got 3 years ago. I attached my current number 521XXXXXXX, which overwrote my "new" number that was 111XXXXXXX. So they're reissuing unused numbers, it seems.

What's the big take away so far for constructed after day one?

Play white in your deck or play a rogue deck. For real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom