• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Just watched Liliana tick up. Guess a lot of people do watch these. I should have grabbed my fourth one already, but I'm happy with running three.

Also, Who else finds it funny that most of the deck is 4-ofs? Looks like there's room for optimization. Decklist grabbed from here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/3p5csk/standard_ub_aristoctrats_calcano_deck_tech_list/
yup they def do. Beleieve in the kirblar, he doesn't spec because he doesn't have time to move shit.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182017745]Got crushed. I don't know how I could have played differently but I also don't want to blame bad luck. I did get to correct a judge though, so at least I had a highlight for the day.

Why do you complain about literally every deck?[/QUOTE]
Damn. That's rough. Bad match ups / bad cooperation from your deck or was it a very prepared field?

Damn. That's rough. Bad match ups / bad cooperation from your deck or was it a very prepared field?

M1g1: Mirror - mulled to 6 on the play, stabilized with mantis rider and double gideon emblem but in order to do so I had to go to a very low life total, bounced around 4-8 life until my opponent Dug into two burn spells. Very fun game.
M1g2 - Had all the answers, kept my opponent from doing anything but after seeing the top 15-20 cards of my library I never drew a single threat outside jace and eventually my opponent stuck a pair of planeswalkers. Still a fun game, lots of fighting over jaces. Got a weird judge call where we almost got warnings for misrepresenting the board state when... nothing happened. Really weird so I corrected the judge and he took it back.

M2g1: Esper Awaken - mulled to 6 on the play, kept Plains, Battlefield Forge, Hangarback, Hangarback, Mantis Rider, Dispel and never drew a third land. My opponent was playing super suspiciously but it didn't matter so I let it go.
M2g2: kept 7(flooded strand, prairie stream, sunken hollow, hangarback, mantis rider, treasure cruise, Sorin). Never drew red mana and continued to draw red spells until I died. I did get to kill a jace by stealing it with Silumgar and minusing though. That was fun.

0-2 was out of top 8 so I dropped. It takes two hours to get back so I decided to get out early rather than go for the extra testing.

I could swap from Cruise to Dig and add a 25th land based on these results, but these aren't things that happen in testing so I think it's still premature. My mana is 14-14-14-13 and I don't run forced taplands so generally the mana is quite good and Cruise is the card I'd rather have almost every time I cast it. I keep running back my options, but I don't think I had a ton of decision points.

Ugh, Crucible of Worlds just slowly climbs in price... Feels like a dollar every couple weeks. I really don't want to pay 40 fucking dollars (US) for a Magic card, but there's no other card like it... It's a tough life.

I'm tempted to just buy damaged copies for $10 off, lol

Ugh, Crucible of Worlds just slowly climbs in price... Feels like a dollar every couple weeks. I really don't want to pay 40 fucking dollars (US) for a Magic card, but there's no other card like it... It's a tough life.

I'm tempted to just buy damaged copies for $10 off, lol
I'm screwing around with Azusa + Crucible + Storm Cauldron in EDH right now. People hate me.

Ahaha, loved the ending of that Finkel/PVDDR match. All these Command shenanigans and cards like Soulfire Grand Master make for entertaining games.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182024759]What's unique about his build? I haven't seen much of it since I was playing today.[/QUOTE]
Soulfires up the wazoo. Kologhan and Ojutai's command, just like all the best value cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182024759]What's unique about his build? I haven't seen much of it since I was playing today.[/QUOTE]

Seemed lke bog standard Jeskai black.

Firemind

I missed it, what happened?

Also, first time actually hearing LSV. For some reason, I previously imagined him having a wacky European accent.
An interviewer said he can add another PT top 8 to his resume and he responds with something along the lines of: "Oh yeah it's great. That's a guaranteed 10k, maybe even 40k." LOL Owen keeping it real.

Glad Finkel has made top 8. Straight up beasting the last two rounds.

An interviewer said he can add another PT top 8 to his resume and he responds with something along the lines of: "Oh yeah it's great. That's a guaranteed 10k, maybe even 40k." LOL Owen keeping it real.

Glad Finkel has made top 8. Straight up beasting the last two rounds.

Oh man loved that line, had me cracking up

El Topo

I'm more surprised about Exert Influence. Makes sense I guess, given its synergies with Jace and how easy it is to get 3/4 different mana, but I would not have expected it.

Exert Influence has seen a bit of sideboard play the last couple weeks. Control Magic as a sorcery is really, really good. I've been back and forth on it vs the Dragonlord, but stealing a Gideon and ulting is too key.

Liliana's -1 often becomes JTMS's -1 in that deck, wow.
Yeah, I posted a deck in here that had liliana with silumgar's sorceror and the 1 mana bounce guy when dragons came out but I didn't think it was very good lol

I still don't

Not every deck. I see what the u/b aristocrats is doing and is kind of cool; i just hate that decks that require MINIMAL thought process.

You complained about Abzan coming back.
You complained about GW being bad.
You complained about GW being too expensive.
You complained about Atarka Red.

If someone doesn't win with brews are you ever happy? lol

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182022434]M1g1: Mirror - mulled to 6 on the play, stabilized with mantis rider and double gideon emblem but in order to do so I had to go to a very low life total, bounced around 4-8 life until my opponent Dug into two burn spells. Very fun game.
M1g2 - Had all the answers, kept my opponent from doing anything but after seeing the top 15-20 cards of my library I never drew a single threat outside jace and eventually my opponent stuck a pair of planeswalkers. Still a fun game, lots of fighting over jaces. Got a weird judge call where we almost got warnings for misrepresenting the board state when... nothing happened. Really weird so I corrected the judge and he took it back.

M2g1: Esper Awaken - mulled to 6 on the play, kept Plains, Battlefield Forge, Hangarback, Hangarback, Mantis Rider, Dispel and never drew a third land. My opponent was playing super suspiciously but it didn't matter so I let it go.
M2g2: kept 7(flooded strand, prairie stream, sunken hollow, hangarback, mantis rider, treasure cruise, Sorin). Never drew red mana and continued to draw red spells until I died. I did get to kill a jace by stealing it with Silumgar and minusing though. That was fun.

0-2 was out of top 8 so I dropped. It takes two hours to get back so I decided to get out early rather than go for the extra testing.

I could swap from Cruise to Dig and add a 25th land based on these results, but these aren't things that happen in testing so I think it's still premature. My mana is 14-14-14-13 and I don't run forced taplands so generally the mana is quite good and Cruise is the card I'd rather have almost every time I cast it. I keep running back my options, but I don't think I had a ton of decision points.[/QUOTE]
That's pretty rough. I've pretty removed all the tri-lands from my deck at this point. After FNM and watching the pro tour today (my flight this AM made me miss states), this is what I'm playing moving forward. It's just flexible as hell. You can play Aggro, tempo, and control based on your draws. That I think makes it even more fun, since there are always options and outs.

Except Ugin. A resolved Ugin blows me out, usually on Game 1 only though.

Jeskai Midrange.dec, Built with Decked Builder
http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/120560

Just had to make sure, but yup, called the Lili-Faithful combo :p

draft24gu54.png

Haines

Banned
Opened dragon outkast or we its called inmy sealed today. People didnt like me.

Also turn against, that steal your minion card, serpent spike etc. Ran red green blue converge

My four Event Decks showed up today so now I can build Standard Abzan. Whoo!
And I'll have enough leftovers I can build my friend a budget GB Aristocrats that could be good enough for FNM.

vT0QGpT.jpg

That's just my Modern Jund deck and Legacy deck left out on the table. The Legacy deck is actually a stack of cards that can be turned into either Miracles or Jeskai Stoneblade.

I need to get better organized . On the floor out of picture are boxes of Magic cards in various states of disarray along with Commander decks and stacks of loose cards. It's getting a little sad, actually.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
7 midrange decks. And Paolo.

20 copies of Gideon, 16 copies of Jace.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182041514]Just had to make sure, but yup, called the Lili-Faithful combo :p

draft24gu54.png
[/QUOTE]

I'm too lazy to go dig through my posts, but I totally called Lili too. Granted, I thought her and Jace would see equal amount of play, so you know, you win some you lose some. I do feel like a genius jumping on those two super cheap though. I still believe in Kytheon too. Maybe not now, but he'll have a spot somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom