• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also local target just got more Fat Packs so that story was obviously bullshit.

Haines

Banned
Anybody know of where to find good bfz draft videos? Youtube came up dry aside from one of louies videos on channel fireball

kirblar

I'm too lazy to go dig through my posts, but I totally called Lili too. Granted, I thought her and Jace would see equal amount of play, so you know, you win some you lose some. I do feel like a genius jumping on those two super cheap though. I still believe in Kytheon too. Maybe not now, but he'll have a spot somewhere.
I had Lili/Nissa pegged immediately (it wasn't hard) - I missed Jace and the Ojutai's interaction and caught ordering him as he was rising initially.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Anybody know of where to find good bfz draft videos? Youtube came up dry aside from one of louies videos on channel fireball

CFB has some and will continue to have them: http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/
Kenji (AKA Numotthenummy) is the most prolific MtG streamer and he basically only does drafts. http://www.twitch.tv/numotthenummy/profile I learned to not suck entirely at draft from watching him.

I had Lili/Nissa pegged immediately (it wasn't hard) - I missed Jace and the Ojutai's interaction and caught ordering him as he was rising initially.

I recall. I ordered Nissa based on your hyping of her. I knew Jace was going to be a thing, but I didn't predict JTMS prices.

kirblar

Yeah, me either, I thought it'd be more evenly spread- him seeing Modern/Legacy play is likely the pushup combined wth him being more generically good in blue decks than the other two are in green/black decks.

The problem with eternal play means that on the reprint equity scale he goes away from the Elspeth, Sun's Champs of the world and towards the Snapcaster Mages.

I'd be surprised if he showed up in a duel deck. Gideon or Deathmist might.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182050979]The problem with eternal play means that on the reprint equity scale he goes away from the Elspeth, Sun's Champs of the world and towards the Snapcaster Mages.

I'd be surprised if he showed up in a duel deck. Gideon or Deathmist might.[/QUOTE]

Remember that he's a DFC. They can't just reprint him in any old supplemental. Plus, he's still in print now. Which is why his price is so crazy. JTMS was a busted card. JVP is fair, but great.

I'm too lazy to go dig through my posts, but I totally called Lili too. Granted, I thought her and Jace would see equal amount of play, so you know, you win some you lose some. I do feel like a genius jumping on those two super cheap though. I still believe in Kytheon too. Maybe not now, but he'll have a spot somewhere.

Kytheon's been seeing play in White Weenie, as his attack clause works well with the deck, his Indestructability, his ability to untap and make the MVP of the deck Archangel of Tithes indestructable until your next turn, etc.

The issue is that he wants to be in a low to the ground aggro shell where he's able to swing and transform turn 2/3 if he can but a lot of the good weenies in White go removed post rotation, leaving us with Woe Reaper, Kytheon, Dragon Hunter, and Expedition Envoy, none of which really are a good choice for the deck.

I've been trying to get some Boros creature shell for him working, but the mana for Boros right now sucks by itself. You can either go painlands and get taxed each time you play a spell of the "splash" colour(my list is predominantly White with red splashed for Alesha for a total of 4 cards), you can go gains which make it harder to hit your curve(which for this deck is hell because you want to hit 4 mana turn 4 for Archangel) or you have to run fetches/santas for a colour you're not using.

cory64

Flip cards are REAL hard to print in supplemental products.
Same with tokens (but not checklist cards). They only make Duel Decks how they do because they're 60 + 60 and a print sheet is 121.

edit: actually now I'm not sure because DDs usually include tokens and two foil cards. So I think the PW flippers could work. It's the non-marquee DFCs that aren't reprintable.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Drafted this nugget today and went 3-0 without so much as a flinch. Probably the most fun I have had in draft in years. Deck was down right stupid at times. Kalastria Healer did serious work, especially with 5 of them and 10 other Allies.

Good times!

3TlJ9bS.jpg

Supast4r

Flip cards are REAL hard to print in supplemental products.

Yes, but they can Duel Deck Jace. If anyone wants to play the jace lottery, he is worth almost the price of a box of Magic Origins if you buy it from a store that hasn't jacked up the price of the box yet.

kirblar

Yes, but they can Duel Deck Jace. If anyone wants to play the jace lottery, he is worth almost the price of a box of Magic Origins if you buy it from a store that hasn't jacked up the price of the box yet.
That's just it, they can't. That's a supplemental product.

Firemind

I'm surprised Gideon is that low.

When is Owen eligible for the HoF btw? He's a slam dunk first ballot, even without a 4th PT T8.
Pfffft

Yuuya's stats are way more impressive.

Also where is Bring to Light in the top 8? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Supast4r

Kytheon's been seeing play in White Weenie, as his attack clause works well with the deck, his Indestructability, his ability to untap and make the MVP of the deck Archangel of Tithes indestructable until your next turn, etc.

The issue is that he wants to be in a low to the ground aggro shell where he's able to swing and transform turn 2/3 if he can but a lot of the good weenies in White go removed post rotation, leaving us with Woe Reaper, Kytheon, Dragon Hunter, and Expedition Envoy, none of which really are a good choice for the deck.

I've been trying to get some Boros creature shell for him working, but the mana for Boros right now sucks by itself. You can either go painlands and get taxed each time you play a spell of the "splash" colour(my list is predominantly White with red splashed for Alesha for a total of 4 cards), you can go gains which make it harder to hit your curve(which for this deck is hell because you want to hit 4 mana turn 4 for Archangel) or you have to run fetches/santas for a colour you're not using.

Kytheon is alot better in a token deck using things like Hordling outburst or Raise the Alarm with the new Gideon.

Every time I see Paulo on screen I wonder how he could get so high with his deck. He's always out valued and has nothing past turn 3 or 4.

I know it's a combo deck, I've just never seen the combo go off.

traveler

Not Wario
Got 3rd in states in Seattle today with a tweaked version of gw megamorph.

We had a little over 100 turnout, so 7 rounds of Swiss. Went 6-1 and seeded second going into top 8. Matchups were:

2 bring to light 5 color controls deck- I came with a coworker and knew no one there besides him as his brother. Naturally, we end up paired very first round. He knew my deck and I sort of knew what he had, but not all his singletons. Went 2-0 off aggressive warden lines.

The second time I got match up against the deck I got flooded, and had too slow a line, so my opponent got to kill me with siege rhino into btl languish, costing me my only match loss in the swiss.

2 esper dragons list- The Drifting Death is a huge problem for the deck if we aren't closing in for the win by the time he comes down, but this matchup doesn't seem too rough outside that. They don't do enough early game, and foul tongue invocation is pretty bad here. Was super scared of ever letting them hit 8 as Ugin would have spelled the end. Fortunately, neither of my opponents ever had Ugin and 8 mana at the same time.

A jund/abzan? list that played tons of good stuff. Tasigur is a beating now that stance is down to one copy in the main and none in the board, but fortunately, the game was wrapped up by rocs quickly enough for him not to get rolling too heavily. Evolutionary leap was such a huge help against all his spot removal. I also remember seeing rhinos and den protectors.

A mirror match. This matchup feels super dumb when both decks have the aggressive draw, as being on the play is basically the win or loss. Dromoka's Command is considerably worse on the draw, when you're both dropping and pumping Wardens. We each took a game off each other in this fashion, and then we had a proper gw game with a stalled board state that turned into a gideon and whisperwood for him, with me recurring raptors via den protectors. Turns out the recursion loop ended up being stronger.

Atarka Red. The final match of the swiss. This was against my coworkers brother, who I'd been happy to see elsewhere on the pairings all day as I didn't really want to play against the deck. Got the play with a decently aggressive draw and beat him the first game without his pump spells ever getting a chance to put me on the defensive. 2nd game, he dashes, pumps, and wins like the deck should. Third, he puts me pretty low with two creatures on board and a sizeable hand. I stick two wardens and hold up surge each turn. He holds off the attack, to get more pump I assume, and I dump my open mana into the wardens turning them into 3/3 lifelink tramplers. I swing with a single warden with 2 wardens and a raptor on board. He atarkas me to drop me to 5 and prevent the lifegain. Same exact thing happens to me the following turn dropping me to 2. He goes for the kill the next turn but I have the surges and group blocks to live. I untap, gideon emblem and swing 8 lifelink damage on his now empty board and stabilize before a third atarka or firecraft can hit. Probably the most tense game of the day.

Top 8

Won another mirror match off archangels and mastery, then went up against aristocrats in the semis. I'm familiar with generally how the deck works but have never played against it, know its a rough matchup for megamorph, and generally don't know the lines to look for. I get him down to 4 game 1 with an unblockable roc in the air, then drop gideon and immediately emblem for the win, missing that his has 1 g open to sac a guy to evolutionary leap and drain me for 2 with cutthroats. I dig through the rest of the top half of my deck while keeping his and my lifetotals constant with wingmate roc swings. I go through over 30 cards in the deck but don't see a single one of my 4 dromokas to deal with the evolutionary leap and he keeps gumming up the board and generating tons of value off sacs with leap and haruspex in play. Eventually drops a husk, sacs his board, and drains me for 17 in a single turn to win. Second game, I never draw past a third land and I'm out.

The finals was between him and another gw megamorph deck. I didn't stick around to see it, but I have to imagine 'crats won, as megamorph needs an aggressive draw to beat it. You aren't going to outvalue it.

Didn't see a single Jeskai all day, although they were in the room. Meta felt pretty similar to whats happening in the Pro Tour, so I feel like, Jeskai's absence aside, it was a pretty good test for the deck. This was my first standard event since playing fnm during lorwyn/alara, so I was pretty happy with third, but it did feel kind of bitter to get that close to the invite to Vegas and lose.

Liked the archangel addition to sb and main. Definitely solid in low numbers. All star of the day was warden. Steals more games than any other card in the deck.

MjFrancis

I want to build Calcano's U/B Aristocrats deck but I don't have a fourth Hangarback Walker or a fourth Liliana, Heretical Healer. Realistically the last Hangarback is cheap enough, but it took me longer than it should have to realize I could jam two Treasure Cruises in there and probably do well enough at FNM level anyways.

Vampiric Rites is probably enough card draw for Calcano's testing though, and they are competing with a full playset of Murderous Cuts for delve material, but it should suffice.

The deck is just so cheap. If you have the fetches and nothing else, it's still just $165 post-Liliana spike.

If you have the Liliana's and Hangarbacks, it's less than $40 for the rest of the deck, sideboard included.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Obviously I have the classiest vampire tokens at FNM:

c1FRy6c.png

I want to build Calcano's U/B Aristocrats deck but I don't have a fourth Hangarback Walker or a fourth Liliana, Heretical Healer. Realistically the last Hangarback is cheap enough, but it took me longer than it should have to realize I could jam two Treasure Cruises in there and probably do well enough at FNM level anyways.

Vampiric Rites is probably enough card draw for Calcano's testing though, and they are competing with a full playset of Murderous Cuts for delve material, but it should suffice.

The deck is just so cheap. If you have the fetches and nothing else, it's still just $165 post-Liliana spike.

If you have the Liliana's and Hangarbacks, it's less than $40 for the rest of the deck, sideboard included.
I don't run Lili or Walker in mine for budget reasons, so I can't say anything on that.

What I can say is Vampiric Rites is better value than Altar's Reap, and Bone Splinters is better than Murderous Cut by a long shot.

Keep in mind though, my Aristocrats deck is combo, with important green being absent from Calcano's deck.

My graveyard stays surprisingly shallow, so I'd test his build for yourself first to see how smooth delve is.

It occurs to me, looking at how much card selection there is, would an instant speed Winds of Change be good in this format? That is to say, "Each player discards/shuffles his or her hand then draws that many cards."

Santiako

Just found my old extended Psychatog deck. It has 4 Sensei Tops, 4 Polluted Deltas, 3 Watery Graves, 2 Engineered Explosives and a bunch of other goodness. I'll keep it for old time's sake. It also has 2 textless Mana Leaks, I really loved those.

duxstar

That's my problem with these red decks in a nutshell, you either have the nut draw and kill your opponent turn 3 or 4 or you flounder and do nothing.

It's just not fun magic for either player

bigkrev

Hype match a ton, have mull to 6 and flood followed by mull to 5 and screw

Ah, variance~

(Jon flooded like crazy in g2 as well. Saw 5 spells all game I think and just crushed)

G.ZZZ

That's my problem with these red decks in a nutshell, you either have the nut draw and kill your opponent turn 3 or 4 or you flounder and do nothing.

It's just not fun magic for either player

Thx wotc for removing red LD, let's maek every dek creature after ceature eheheh

Hmm, idea. Forcing the opponent to "rummage" and the Vendilion Clique ability in red.

Scattering Gust - R
Sorcery
Target opponent discards three cards then draws three cards.
Draw a card.

Face Punch - 1R
Instant
Face Punch deals 3 damage to target opponent. That player discards three cards then draws cards equal to the number of cards discarded this way.

Goblin Psychiatrist - 2R
Creature - Goblin Advisor
Menace
When Goblin Psychiatrist enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals his or her hand. You may choose a nonland card from it. If you do, that player discards that card and draws a card.
3/1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom