• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.ZZZ

BrokeBack Goblin R
Creature - Goblin
As BrokeBack Goblin ETB or attack, each player discard a card at random then draw a card.
BrokeBack.png

1/1

I'd call that the BrokeBack mechanic. Disruption via chaos basically. Also draw a card if you're hellbent, but it's still a 1/1 with no evasion so whatever who caer eheheh.

Land bounce/stall maybe could be printed if LD isn't "fun" enough?

Unstable terrain R
Sorcery
Bounce target non-basic land. Deal 1 damage to that land's controller.

BrokeBack Goblin R
Creature - Goblin
As BrokeBack Goblin ETB or attack, each player discard a card at random then draw a card.
BrokeBack.png

1/1

I'd call that the BrokeBack mechanic. Disruption via chaos basically. Also draw a card if you're hellbent, but it's still a 1/1 with no evasion so whatever who caer eheheh.

Land bounce/stall maybe could be printed if LD isn't "fun" enough?

Unstable terrain R
Sorcery
Bounce target non-basic land. Deal 1 damage to that land's controller.

Random discard then draw would be good.

As for land bouncing, Wizards claims that it really isn't that different from straight up land destruction. It's why Boomerang isn't printed anymore.

bigkrev

I like that Owen made the play that left him tapped out and dead on board, as opposed to holding up for a spell he didn't have

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I am generally super aggressive with mulligans. I would have mulled Owen's G2 hand. Would I have been wrong? I know Owen got unlucky, but still...
I would've mulled. He basically put his PT Top 8 in the heart of the cards. If he drew all lands for the next 3 turns he would've probably done very dirty things to his opponent.

I still don't get why these guys don't board in disdainful stroke against Abzan. Doesn't make any sense.

bigkrev

Everyone was Gideon.

I'm not sure what race and gender have to do with it.

Before the Meddling Mage reprint, they had reprinted both Avalanche Rider (without changing the art), and Voidmage Prodegy (with new art that still was in Kai's likeness). People were not happy that Meddling Mage was changed so drastically, and Chris himself was very vocal about hating the drastic changes to his card.

Haines

Banned
watching the pt draft tourney vods, i have to pinch zoom closer to table on my ipad so i can actually see board state

They do an ok job but i enjoy seeing the board state and a closer look much more than a huge bar telling me life and cards in hand etc

I have to assume that this is the best they can do, and it will never change and like i said i can kind of fix it for myself, but ive always been dissapointed with the production in terms of seeing cards on the table

watching the pt draft tourney vods, i have to pinch zoom closer to table on my ipad so i can actually see board state

They do an ok job but i enjoy seeing the board state and a closer look much more than a huge bar telling me life and cards in hand etc

I have to assume that this is the best they can do, and it will never change and like i said i can kind of fix it for myself, but ive always been dissapointed with the production in terms of seeing cards on the table

Star City Games does it so much better. But they don't ever really stream limited, so you'd have to get your feet wet in the big leagues to start enjoying their content.

I like the new Snapcaster. I'm excited to pick up at least a couple of them in the coming GPs I'm attending.

I'm now going to blame my poor performance this weekend in not believing in myself. I kept wanting to add kolaghan's commands and keep duresses in the board and just never did. I need to trust my instincts again, I win more when I'm not looking at tons of decklists and constraining my mindset.

edit: Tamada is a goddamn mad genius.

MASTERY OF THE UNSEEN IS AT THE PRO TOUR.

This makes me incredibly happy. And it's doing exactly what it should do: confounding the fuck out of an unprepared opponent.

Toxi

Banned
Before the Meddling Mage reprint, they had reprinted both Avalanche Rider (without changing the art), and Voidmage Prodegy (with new art that still was in Kai's likeness). People were not happy that Meddling Mage was changed so drastically, and Chris himself was very vocal about hating the drastic changes to his card.
Sure, but the problem there is just changing it to a different person when the card was originally made with the pro's likeness, not what kind of different person is in the art.

Unless Dark Confidant becoming a different white guy is somehow preferable.

traveler

Not Wario
Pick up a set of Archangel of Tithes now.

I ran them some in the main and sideboard this weekend at states. Didn't break open games but definitely felt like an improvement for the deck.

Did not run Avatar of the Resolute in the main like some of the pros are- only two in the side- after a little testing. Didn't feel that great as the anti Mantis Rider in testing, but I didn't ever face Mantis Rider at states so who knows. I do feel like it's even less likely to get run now with Archangel becoming an archetype staple.

Sam Black in his deck tech mentioned he wanted 4 Nisaa/3 Visionary in his Emeria Retreat based-deck.

We tested up to three Nissas, but Eric can be a bit finicky on green cards. (He's one of the few people I know that will actively complain about Siege Rhinos in his decks.) He liked the feel of two, but ultimately landed on one based on an audible, I think.

The BIG downside of Nissa is how many basic forests you have to run for each copy of her that you play.

Hero

Correct, it's in Autumn's 9-1 deck instead of Gideon. It's 100% casual demand right now and likely at its low ebb.

Speaking of, Gideon: $38 TCG low.

Buy in low, low-risk, likely will increase in price long term for casual demand regardless of constructed play.

Okay, got in on a playset for 22. Let's see how this goes.

kirblar

We tested up to three Nissas, but Eric can be a bit finicky on green cards. (He's one of the few people I know that will actively complain about Siege Rhinos in his decks.) He liked the feel of two, but ultimately landed on one based on an audible, I think.

The BIG downside of Nissa is how many basic forests you have to run for each copy of her that you play.
Yeah, Sam's deck was W/G I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom