• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Like, just now? From where?
23.49 on Ebay, I got a set for 21.50 on TCGP moments ago, might be able to get under Ebay still using them.

Angels have a lot of casual appeal, its a mythic from a low-opened set, etc. I don't see it going down any further and any Mythic from Origins has spike potential.

The best performing standard decks were still two color gw megamorph :p (including one with zero- !!!- Gideons)

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptbfz/24-27-point-standard-decklists-2015-10-18

* Surprised to see sideboard Lantern Scout in Autumn Burchett's deck.
* Ricky Chin has Radiant Purge in the sideboard. Given how many multicolored cards are appearing, I'm surprised it isn't seeing more play.
* I like Corey Baumeister's red-green aggro with landfall creatures and Yasova in the sideboard.
* Woah, Javier Dominguez's deck has mainboard Dragon Whisperer! As a one of, but still, I forgot that card existed. Also, mainboard Yasova.
* After all the hype, Hojae Han and Scott Lipp are the only decks at this level I've seen use Bring to Light.
* Hao-Shan Huang has an interesting red-black deck, surprisingly with no low-mana creatures mainboard besides Hangarback Walker. Ma and Pa Nalaar is a neat inclusion.
* Interesting that Retreat to Emeria (white) is seeing a fair amount of play, especially after everyone was saying the only one even close to playable was the blue one.

Firemind

23.49 on Ebay, I got a set for 21.50 on TCGP moments ago, might be able to get under Ebay still using them.

Angels have a lot of casual appeal, its a mythic from a low-opened set, etc. I don't see it going down any further and any Mythic from Origins has spike potential.
So it'll increase by a few dollars in a decade or so. I want ROI now dagnabbit!

still kicking myself i didn't get a set of jaces

kirblar

So it'll increase by a few dollars in a decade or so. I want ROI now dagnabbit!

still kicking myself i didn't get a set of jaces
Yasova's available for .25 each w/ free shipping from Happy Viking Games on TCGP, seems like a good chance to grab a playset in case a bud ever needs to build Atarka.

This is not a RoI buy, this is a "oh playset for a buck is way cheaper than a LGS price." :p

edit: Also, My origins history: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=169980554&highlight=jace#post169980554 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172875365&postcount=6291

I think I didn't post about Jace when I bought him cause I assumed he'd go down when more of the set was opened after short-term spiking. :-/

Haines

Banned
I moved all my pulls at the card shop friday including gideon.

Idk how magic has this randy guy casting. Even as a newbie, i cant stand him. Maybe magic people love him tho.

I like almost everyone else. Still watching the draft vods.

OnPoint

I moved all my pulls at the card shop friday including gideon.

Idk how magic has this randy guy casting. Even as a newbie, i cant stand him. Maybe magic people love him tho.

I like almost everyone else. Still watching the draft vods.

I've disliked listening to Buheler ever since I've come back to Magic. He's awful.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182110850]Tamada is the most impressed I've been with a Top 8 PT player since Yuuki Ichikawa at PT M15. This is great.[/QUOTE]

:-|

kirblar

I've disliked listening to Buheler ever since I've come back to Magic. He's awful.
Buehler's wife works for WotC and prevents him from actually playing so he's a guy who they don't really have anything better to do with because he's stuck in limbo.

edit: Wingmate Roc- if you want to play G/W/x decks, you may want to jump on it today, its $5 copies were just bought out on TCGP.

Buehler's wife works for WotC and prevents him from actually playing so he's a guy who they don't really have anything better to do with because he's stuck in limbo.

Why is Reid Duke allowed to play? It's obvious from the way Ian talks about him that they're in contact during his testing.

traveler

Not Wario
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182112635]Why is Reid Duke allowed to play? It's obvious from the way Ian talks about him that they're in contact during his testing.[/QUOTE]

Does Ian actually work for WotC or does he just do coverage?

Edit: Just google'd it. Yup, that is pretty weird, especially given his role is development, where he'd be best positioned to give information on what does/doesn't work from new sets.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182112635]Why is Reid Duke allowed to play? It's obvious from the way Ian talks about him that they're in contact during his testing.[/QUOTE]
Because they're not married.

That would be gross.

2x posting for visibility edit: Wingmate Roc- if you want to play G/W/x decks, you may want to jump on it today, its $5 copies were just bought out on TCGP.

traveler

Not Wario
I think adding a scry to every mulligan rather than just the one you keep would be a mostly fair addition to the game. Having mana screw/flood play such a decisive part in these high skill tourneys with lots of money on the line is pretty unacceptable. I get that its part of the game at its core, but I think everything should be done to mitigate it. Color screw is fair, but just drawing pure/no lands is totally boring and would be laughed at if a logical equivalent were present in other competitive games like football, soccer, basketball, etc.

The major concern is how combo could exploit it, and without having seen such a proposal in action or testing it out, I could see it being problematic, so I'm not sure what the right answer is, but I think this new mulligan rule needs to be the start of finding that answer, not the end.

And Takimura won, holding up the new master, same as the old.

The top 8 aren't necessarily the absolute strongest decks in the format.

Should I go to Grand Prix Atlanta? I'd be flying in by myself, so I'm not sure if I'd have a good time solo. Does anyone else have experience with that? I do like commander, and it sounds like a nice time...

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Like in real life, with all these 4 color decks/weird mana, the odds of someone getting mana/color screwed and making a game just a one-sided sweep is way high. Same with mulligans.

OnPoint

edit: Wingmate Roc- if you want to play G/W/x decks, you may want to jump on it today, its $5 copies were just bought out on TCGP.

Dumping him on us in coverage is not a good solution lol he's awful.

I dunno, I've never found Randy particularly annoying. Plus Vintage Super League was his idea so he's got some points to start from me.

If it were possible I'd just want Marshall and Ian to do every match tho.

So is the mana just not as good as advertised?

The percentage of games where you can fix your mana correctly for four colors is still high enough to go with, it's just that in the four color decks during the games where the mana doesn't come together it's a complete blowout.

traveler

Not Wario
Wow I totally misread Villainous Wealth. I thought you only got to cast spells that cost X for free- not X or less. Time to get back on that sultai ramp wealth/sire of stagnation brew.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I dunno, I've never found Randy particularly annoying. Plus Vintage Super League was his idea so he's got some points to start from me.

If it were possible I'd just want Marshall and Ian to do every match tho.

The percentage of games where you can fix your mana correctly for four colors is still high enough to go with, it's just that in the four color decks during the games where the mana doesn't come together it's a complete blowout.
Yep! I think Jeskai black is the best deck if everything goes your way and even if things don't, as long as the mana works with you. If not, you just get worked. Same with all the other 3+ color decks.

traveler

Not Wario
So I checked the facebook page for the Washington SCG Standard states from yesterday and the guy I lost to in the semis in top 8 won the whole thing, so at least I can feel good that I lost to the final champ. Aristocrats won in Seattle then. I'll post his list whenever SCG uploads all the decks up. I remember it being a GB variant. Seems pretty hard for Megamorph to fight if the game goes late; they actually do outgrind us. Need to figure out if I should tune the deck to beat it, or just play it.

y2dvd

Finally pulled an expedition land! The pic doesn't do it justice.

yL29XNx.jpg

Also got the legendary vampire. Pretty lucky draft. Ended up going 2-1 losing to a sick BW ally deck. Dude had at least 10 allies and had March from the Tombs ever game. Allies looks tiny but geez all that draining adds up.

traveler

Not Wario

Also got the legendary vampire. Pretty lucky draft. Ended up going 2-1 losing to a sick BW ally deck. Dude had at least 10 allies and had March from the Tombs ever game. Allies looks tiny but geez all that draining adds up.

Grats!

That's the best looking one too.

traveler

Not Wario
So just how bad are the bfz lands when fetches are gone? Are we going to go from one of the best standard manabases ever to one of the worst?

I'm sorry, but I think the actual Expedition art is so fucking shoddy and terrible. The BfZ tangolands look better than the faux-impressionist crap.

So just how bad are the bfz lands when fetches are gone? Are we going to go from one of the best standard manabases ever to one of the worst?

Well, four-color decks won't be feasible, of course, The lands won't be terrible, but it will require decks heavy in basic lands. I'd say we're just going to get two-color decks mainly.

I would rather endure a root canal than deal with the displeasure of a grindy, trolly Blue/Black deck. It only attracts the cocky asses who think they're smarter than they are because Wizards loves overpowering Blue's color pie.

WotC, stop encouraging this draw-go bullshit. Good fucking lord. /vent

kirblar

I would rather endure a root canal than deal with the displeasure of a grindy, trolly Blue/Black deck. It only attracts the cocky asses who think they're smarter than they are because Wizards loves overpowering Blue's color pie.

WotC, stop encouraging this draw-go bullshit. Good fucking lord. /vent
DTT rotating should help.

Matriox

I'm sorry, but I think the actual Expedition art is so fucking shoddy and terrible. The BfZ tangolands look better than the faux-impressionist crap.

The art for Prairie Stream expedition is incredible, too bad it cuts out most of the amazing detail on the card.

Here was the list I ran this weekend for states:
http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/120965

A couple of notes

Silumgar drifting death is very subpar outside of GW megamorph, and I didn't play against a single opponent playing it. I'd drop Silumgar to 1 copy and maybe another in the board. I could have really used the 4th copy of Dig through time in its place. Also, radiant Flames as a 1 of was way more important in most matches than my crux through the weekend, I'd probably swap my 2nd crux mb for a Radiant Flames. Transgress the Mind was okay, but I just feel like duress would have been better. Horribly Awry was really good almost every match, but I feel like 2 is the correct number to run. Without a match against Gw megamorph I really didn't utilize Complete Disregard the way I wanted to, but it is still great for most matchup anyways, I might swap those for some help against atarka red since that deck was a main problem I had for the weekend and my loss in the top 4. Dragonlord Silumgar over performed for me by stealing 2 nissa's and a Gideon over the tourney, I really wonder if I should be running one mainboard depending on how little atarka red is running around.

Overall the weekend went well, I'm just glad I could build a deck that didn't play Jace, Gideon, or Deathmist Raptor :p

traveler

Not Wario
They're just gonna reprint more bullshit instant-level draw.

That's really the problem. Either have instant draw, or counterspells. You cannot have both.

Besides, we still have Scatter to the Winds, Clash of Wills, and Scorn.

If they only ever allow control to do one thing at instant speed, it can't function. You can't sit there and hold up mana for a counter when you're opponent knows that the only thing you can do- likewise whats the point of holding up mana for instant speed draw if it's the only thing you can do; doing it at sorc speed serves the same purpose.

Instant speed draw is fine. Instant speed on the power level of DTT is not. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom