• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vader as a flip card is good, but having the front side be Darth Vader pre-mask and the flip side be Darth Vader post mask makes no sense. Vader is less powerful in the mask than he is as pre-mask.

If the front side is Anakin Skywalker, he should be white-black or even white-red and then mono-black on the back.

It's also really awkward to put counters on a card and then flip it. I understand that it can happen via the interaction with other cards in the set, but for a card to put counters on itself and then flip is just annoying.

Eh, if it had "...and its activated abilities can't be activated" it'd really be perfect.

"You control enchanted creature.

Enchanted creature is a colorless artifact creature with no abilities and can't attack or block."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's also really awkward to put counters on a card and then flip it. I understand that it can happen via the interaction with other cards in the set, but for a card to put counters on itself and then flip is just annoying.

"You control enchanted creature.

Enchanted creature is a colorless artifact creature with no abilities and can't attack or block."

At Mythic Rare I think the counters are acceptable

What isn't okay is the fact that I think the flip condition is acceptable flavor-wise, but also way too powerful, even for a 3 color 6 drop.

That flip condition is fine if you're making an Obi-Wan Kenobi card.

Williams is definitely great.

Also, this match made me realize I should at least throw a couple Dispel into my sideboard. It's an instant-heavy world right now.

OnPoint

Yeah, but David Williams' commentary is great so it all balances out.

I feel like Buehler was severely outclassed by him last night. Notably. He kept trying to push the one line of play, and Williams was like "No, this is what I would do." And Buehler just kept at it, despite the fact that Williams plays the deck. So pompous.

Williams is definitely great.

Also, this match made me realize I should at least throw a couple Dispel into my sideboard. It's an instant-heavy world right now.

Current consensus seems to be they belong in the main.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Random aside: I think SaffronOlive and MTGGoldfish are putting out some of my favorite content right now. Like actual budget deck ideas, etc. and while he does do the MTGFinance thing a little, he doesn't really do it in the that "hoard a million Gideons/fetchlands/etc." way, but more of a "consider picking this card up in ______ because that's when it will bottom out." It helps that I think MTGGoldfish is a really good site for figuring out price data, decklists and sorting what cards are seeing play in what.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Random aside: I think SaffronOlive and MTGGoldfish are putting out some of my favorite content right now. Like actual budget deck ideas, etc. and while he does do the MTGFinance thing a little, he doesn't really do it in the that "hoard a million Gideons/fetchlands/etc." way, but more of a "consider picking this card up in ______ because that's when it will bottom out."

Agreed. SO (along with PVDR) is writing the best M:tG content on the web right now. I wasn't even familiar with him until a month or two ago, but he just seems to be striking gold with his approach to writing about the game from a thoughtful and less aggressive way than a lot of the popular writers.

kirblar

Random aside: I think SaffronOlive and MTGGoldfish are putting out some of my favorite content right now. Like actual budget deck ideas, etc. and while he does do the MTGFinance thing a little, he doesn't really do it in the that "hoard a million Gideons/fetchlands/etc." way, but more of a "consider picking this card up in ______ because that's when it will bottom out." It helps that I think MTGGoldfish is a really good site for figuring out price data, decklists and sorting what cards are seeing play in what.
That's my approach- I'm not offering stock tips, I'm looking for cards that you want to get now if you want to play them. His stuff is great.

OnPoint

KqUFAXt.jpg

My current build of Yore-Tiller:

draft23ruja.png

The main thing I learned from the Pantheon build was just how important it is to play cards that work well with Jace and Kolaghan's Command. Stuff like Surge of Rightousness or Silkwrap and overloading on planeswalkers are just losing out on value. Outside of that I think Evolving Wilds is much better than Mystic Monastery, makes your Santalands a lot more consistent and you have better color selection while also improving your delve spells slightly.

aidan

Now that they've been around for a few weeks, what are people's thoughts on the BFZ dual lands (Tangolands, Battlelands, whatever) in Modern?

kirblar

Now that they've been around for a few weeks, what are people's thoughts on the BFZ dual lands (Tangolands, Battlelands, whatever) in Modern?
If you use them you have to warp your entire manabase around them. It's doable, but is it worth it for most decks?

Paying 2 life is almost always going to be better than having basics. You play stuff like checklands and Desolate Lighthouses/Gavony Townships in modern so getting two basics in play is not as feasible in standard. There might be some deck that wants them, but it'd have to be for a relatively specific reason.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182480324]Paying 2 life is almost always going to be better than having basics. You play stuff like checklands and Desolate Lighthouses/Gavony Townships in modern so getting two basics in play is not as feasible in standard. There might be some deck that wants them, but it'd have to be for a relatively specific reason.[/QUOTE]
Next Level Blue-style decks (Blue Moon) seem like one.

Yeah, monocolor control decks with a light splash they don't need until turn 3+ but need right away would be a good reason for the Santalands to see play in modern. It still makes Serum Visions awkward with some keeps and there would have to be the second half of the cycle in Oath for Blue Moon specifically, though.

I was going to say that the only card I can think of in the Modern card pool that would make me want to play Tangos would be Vedalken Shackles. Having more red sources that are also Islands for that deck could be valuable.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it would be insanity to complete that land cycle in Oath. I mean, maybe WotC just believes they need to take a 3 month period of madness on the chin, but it's gonna be a rough time for standard if there's 5 fetches and a full cycle of fetchable duals. The mana will be so good it might actually be more difficult to play. A paralysis of options, so to speak.

With GameDay coming up, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to play. I have a meta full of Atarka Red, Abzan, and always at least 3 competent draw-go players. The decks I'm currently looking at are BJeskai, GW Hardened Scales, and some flavor of Aristocrats. The only card in Standard I don't have access to is Gideon, which puts GW and the Bant Tokens deck out of reach for me.

aidan

The more I think about it, the more I believe it would be insanity to complete that land cycle in Oath. I mean, maybe WotC just believes they need to take a 3 month period of madness on the chin, but it's gonna be a rough time for standard if there's 5 fetches and a full cycle of fetchable duals. The mana will be so good it might actually be more difficult to play. A paralysis of options, so to speak.

At what point does every competitive deck merge into a single decklist that just plays all the best cards in the format? We're already sort of seeing it with Jeskai Black. As mana bases get better and better, fewer hard decisions are necessary as decks move away from having to settle on two or three colours, and consistency rises for four and five colour decks.

Angry Grimace

Getting 20 lands on the battlefield with Oblivion Sower is kind of hilarious.

At what point does every competitive deck merge into a single decklist that just plays all the best cards in the format? We're already sort of seeing it with Jeskai Black. As mana bases get better and better, fewer hard decisions are necessary as decks move away from having to settle on two or three colours, and consistency rises for four and five colour decks.
They won't. They'll still be spread too wide and thin for consistent threat, and a less ambitious and more "conservative" deck will beat them. Or a rogue deck.

We saw traditional Abzan vs. traditional Jeskai in the finals for a reason. There were a shit-ton of fucked up draws and hands on the 4c front.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182488133]If you could bring three legacy-legal cards into modern, what would you choose?[/QUOTE]

Baleful Strix
Riptide Laboratory
Misdirection
lol
Frantic Search
Volrath's Stronghold

Can't just stop at three, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom