• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The more I watch this Standard format, the more I have this feeling that Dark Jeskai is actually the best deck but requires significantly more skill/discipline to squeeze those extra wins out of it than, say, GW Megamorph.

You have to just play a lot to get a feel for what you are doing, especially with the sequencing lands. You will just straight up lose matches to it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not sure why. Ojutai seems worse than he did before.

Angry Grimace

When was the last time they printed a really desirable card (that isn't new) in a supplemental precon? And not counting new Commander set cards that turn into Legacy desirables.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182575943]Hangarback Walker a few weeks ago?[/QUOTE]

I don't mean like 15 buck cards, we were talking about JVP, which is on track to be JTMS prices and probably will never go down from being JTMS prices.

OnPoint

Jace Vs Ugin

Book it.

Would have made sense in a story sense kinda sorta, but they're not really fighting

Plus there's probably issues with one-off printing a double faced card

Angry Grimace

The bigger problem to me is that there's no way they put Ugin in a duel deck when they can just put Ugin in Modern Masters '19 and eat up a rare slot with a 40 dollar card.

OnPoint

The bigger problem to me is that there's no way they put Ugin in a duel deck when they can just put Ugin in Modern Masters '19 and eat up a rare slot with a 40 dollar card.

You think Ugin will still just be $40 with no other reprintings for 4 years? I think he'd be at least $70 by then.

Angry Grimace

You think Ugin will still just be $40 with no other reprintings for 4 years? I think he'd be at least $70 by then.

I don't think Karn was and Karn is a 4 of in Tron (I think).

OnPoint

I don't think Karn was and Karn is a 4 of in Tron (I think).

It spiked here or there

yfBRMw7.png

Angry Grimace

It spiked here or there

yfBRMw7.png

His high was $54. I don't think Ugin goes much beyond $40-50. His price won't go down though because he's kind of a casual/EDH staple and sees at least some play in Modern.

The new FNM promos were revealed in order of appearance

Urgh January

It still makes me laugh that they've now officially retconned Nissa's cleavage.

Whatever was the reason we had Elspeth vs Kiora in the first place? They're cool with each other in the storyline.

Not that I'm complaining, Kiora deserves the exposure. I hope U/G gets some good representation in Oath.

Edit: the Roast and Pilgrimmage program is great.

OnPoint

His high was $54. I don't think Ugin goes much beyond $40-50. His price won't go down though because he's kind of a casual/EDH staple and sees at least some play in Modern.

Annoys the shit out of me. I want 4 to play. I really hope they print a new Bolas next set/block and do an Ugin Vs Bolas.

Whatever was the reason we had Elspeth vs Kiora in the first place? They're cool with each other in the storyline.

Not that I'm complaining, Kiora deserves the exposure. I hope U/G gets some good representation in Oath.

Yeah they never really fought. It was stupid.

Angry Grimace

Well, there was an actual story with Jace vs. Vraska, but there was no story whatsoever with Elspeth v. Kiora. My guess is that they decided not to do one since a) there's no reason they would fight, and b) Elspeth is "dead."

OnPoint

Well, there was an actual story with Jace vs. Vraska, but there was no story whatsoever with Elspeth v. Kiora. My guess is that they decided not to do one since a) there's no reason they would fight, and b) Elspeth is "dead."

Should have been Elspeth Vs Xenagos. It's like they don't even think about these things.

Angry Grimace

Huh, what did they do?

nissarevanecomparisons.jpg

The one on the left is the actual card art, the one on the right is the Duels of the Planeswalkers art because someone at the ESRB complained and they were forced to photoshop the boobs out.

Ever since ORI she's had the same outfit but now its the covered up version.

nissarevanecomparisons.jpg

The one on the left is the actual card art, the one on the right is the Duels of the Planeswalkers art because someone at the ESRB complained and they were forced to photoshop the boobs out.

Ever since ORI she's had the same outfit but now its the covered up version.

Lol but the 2nd one looks better, not that I have anything against a little sideboob though.

The artwork with her still shows more cleavage than most PWs just the more conservative variety.

Hey guys a quick question -- are fetches from Khans still going to be legal when Dragons of Tarkir is legal in standard? I'm confused as to when the fetchlands from Khans are going to rotate out. Thanks!

Yeef

Hey guys a quick question -- are fetches from Khans still going to be legal when Dragons of Tarkir is legal in standard? I'm confused as to when the fetchlands from Khans are going to rotate out. Thanks!
The fetchlands will rotate at the same time as Khans (and Fate Reforged) which will be whenever the set after Oath releases.

Angry Grimace

Khans block is weird. It's semi-arbitrarily split so that Khans of Tarkir and Fate Reforged rotate out of Standard at a different time than Dragons of Tarkir and Magic Origins do.

Haines

Banned
I think sealed's a better tool for getting started with limited. You get a pile of assorted cards and can mess with your deck all you want to see whether color X works well, if color Y's creatures are better than X's or if it's worth it splashing for a couple off-color cards. Meanwhile, you're probably screwed if you end up drafting colors that get cut, or if you aren't all that good at picking and end up with an imbalanced mana curve or card types.

The only downside is that sealed's more expensive than draft and you get less opportunities to try the format out outside of prereleases, since competitive REL events don't allow you to alter your pre-board maindeck at all.

Yup. Did a couple sealed. Def easier but pricey. im pretty confident in my drafting skills, just had to work friday evenings since i started getting into magic.

just got back from my buddys playing and im getting a lot better at the combat, as ots taken me a while to get hearthstone ot of my head after 2 years of it.

I love how in magic one card, like breaker of armies can jist totally change a board state upside down.

I should really go ahead and finish my merfolk deck it's 9/10 complete mostly missing the lands and sideboard. Sadly none of my friends are interested in playing modern.

For some reason we had 5 aether vials w/o me knowing for forever.

Crocodile

Yeah they are, hence you could just walk away with them before swapping them.

You don't get to play in the event though. Should I have stated that outright? I thought it was implicit given people show up to events to play at them. You always have the option to bounce but if you actually want to play in the event, you agree and understand that the cards you open aren't actually yours to keep (necessarily).

Don't really get your point, tbh. The cards aren't yours until you pay for them, either. But either way, the packs you paid for are what you own.

There is a reason the word "coercion" exists in the English language. You can "agree" to all sorts of things. Players who talk new, or uninformed players into a unauthorized format that all but guarantees they're buying cards for the most experienced in the group are thieves.

Now, take 8 salty, jaded players and they all then agree to such a proposition then the whole scenario changes. Now it's just gambling.

To coerce someone, you have to force or intimidate someone to do something they don't want to do. If you explain to them how you're drafting before you start, what is stopping them from just going "nah, I'm good"?

Coercion, theft, scam.......do you guys even know what these words mean? Again its fine if you'd rather not draft that way but calling people or stores that do so thieving scam artists is just too much.

duxstar

Why the hell did ojutai spike to 35 and is still sold out ? Nothing at the pro tour seemed to suggest it would go up and with more crackling dooms hanging around it seems worse than usual.

I don't get it

kirblar

You don't get to play in the event though. Should I have stated that outright? I thought it was implicit given people show up to events to play at them. You always have the option to bounce but if you actually want to play in the event, you agree and understand that the cards you open aren't actually yours to keep (necessarily).
And that's super fucked up if it's the only option available to players at a store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom