• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Man I wish the Commander 2015 sets were already spoiled. I want to plan out my discretionary spending for the next month and it would be a lot easier to do if I knew whether or not I wanted to pick up the Commander sets or just aim for singles.

Here is a link to what coerce actually means. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/coerce

verb (used with object), coerced, coercing.
to compel by force, intimidation, or authority, especially without regard for individual desire or volition:
They coerced him into signing the document.
to bring about through the use of force or other forms of compulsion; exact:
to coerce obedience.
to dominate or control, especially by exploiting fear, anxiety, etc.:
The state is based on successfully coercing the individual.

And as we all know, new players in stores or to the game never have anxiety or can fall victim to the local shop "pro's" authority, right? And if you had bothered to read the entirety of my post you probably would have seen the sentence that I wrote that allows for a group of fully aware players to engage in a rare redraft. That doesn't change the fact that people who do it take advantage of others or to exploit inexeperienced people are thieves or scammers, depending on the exact situation. It's great if you've never seen it. That doesn't negate their existence. There is a reason why it's not a sanctioned draft format.

You know shit is getting real when the dictionary is getting pulled out LOL. Anyway, I've seen people beg for drafters because they have have an odd number of players and regulars who know each other well can do a bit of a guilt trip for odd number pods (which often rarely works LOL) but I've never seen someone who legit didn't want to or feel like drafting ever be forced to draft - especially not new players. What you're describing is some severe peer pressure exerted by less than savory people. Shitty people do shitty things and when I see "funny stuff" going on I try to call that stuff out. That's completely divorced from the actual drafting style though.

Maybe I haven't been clear enough? When stores run events in which rares are redrafted, they are -- besides explicitly breaking WotC's rules -- almost always doing it in order to give their regulars an opportunity to walk away with more than their share of value from drafts, at the expense of more casual or newer players who have just shown up for the current event.

Having to even interact with this kind of player is already unpleasant in even normal circumstances; when store staff team up with them it's just miserable. These are the kinds of stores that give hobby gaming a bad name. It's sleazy behavior and I'm not going to call it anything else.

We do it because we want to have as close to a "pure Magic" experience as possible. I like being able to open a dual land and pass it to take the common two drop that is the best card in the pack. I like being passed a three dollar rare in the middle of pack two because its good for my deck and not because somebody snatched it up for their EDH deck. I like being able to open that PW in pack three and being able to pass it to my neighbor for a removal spell because it will make my deck better. These are feelings mirrored by many people near me of various skill levels. As I've said, I'm 100% aware that there are pros & cons to doing drafts in different ways. Not everybody will like doing it this way and I have no issue if you prefer not to play that way. That's cool. However, and the reason I keep bringing this up and beating this horse, is because I can't sit by a let y'all call some of the most courteous, generous and overall helpful to players of all sorts store owners and perhaps some of the least socially awkward and helpful Magic players I've known in the nearly 10 years I've played this game immoral individuals. Just like....no man. No.

7ix4oHT.png

If you made this, this is hilarious - job well done. If you didn't make it please source it (if you have one). Still hilarious.

I wonder what the next set of Expeditions is gonna be. 20 slots makes me think that there won't be another set of Santalands in Oath. I guess they could do a full cycle of something like Manlands, then a 5 and 5 set, but what would the other cycle of lands be outside of the Santalands? Horizon Canopy cycle?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182897297]I wonder what the next set of Expeditions is gonna be. 20 slots makes me think that there won't be another set of Santalands in Oath. I guess they could do a full cycle of something like Manlands, then a 5 and 5 set, but what would the other cycle of lands be outside of the Santalands? Horizon Canopy cycle?[/QUOTE]

Tundra
Underground Sea
Badlands
Taiga
Savannah
Scrubland
Volcanic Island
Bayou
Plateau
Tropical Island
Cavern of Souls
Wasteland
Mutavault
Inkmoth Nexus
Karakas
City of Traitors
Urza's Tower
Urza's Mine
Urza's Power Plant
Gaea's Cradle

Tundra
Underground Sea
Badlands
Taiga
Savannah
Scrubland
Volcanic Island
Bayou
Plateau
Tropical Island
Cavern of Souls
Wasteland
Mutavault
Inkmoth Nexus
Karakas
City of Traitors
Urza's Tower
Urza's Mine
Urza's Power Plant
Gaea's Cradle

They can't reprint the original duals. I'm guessing the new Expeditions will consist of the allied Manlands at least. Maybe the Filterlands too.

jph139

My guess would be the Vivid Lands or the Future Sight Lands. I can't imagine them NOT completing the battlelands cycle in Oath, the Manlands are a given, and there's not really many 5-card cycles with generic enough names.

A fistful of random, unrelated-but-highly-demanded lands could be cool, though.

Quebec Semifinals 3 Yore-Tiller 1 Eldrazi Ramp... Why is it Bo3s when they are not gonna cover all matches?

10 Manlands 5 Tangolands any 5 rare land cycle or Tron and 2 other rare lands

kirblar

G/R Ramp w/ 4 Ugin/3 Ulamog/4 Sanctum of Ugin/4 Shrine of the Forsaken Gods just made the Semis of the GP and is a game off of the finals.

If nothing else, pick up a playset of each of the lands in case they spike.

G/R Ramp w/ 4 Ugin/3 Ulamog/4 Sanctum of Ugin/4 Shrine of the Forsaken Gods just made the Semis of the GP and is a game off of the finals.

If nothing else, pick up a playset of each of the lands in case they spike.

Yeah, especially since apparently Shrine of the Forsaken Gods doesn't take up your land drop for the turn. Much more powerful than I had anticipated.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182908952]Yeah, especially since apparently Shrine of the Forsaken Gods doesn't take up your land drop for the turn. Much more powerful than I had anticipated.[/QUOTE]
Is this shade being thrown?

did the guy cheat? :lol

He sat there staring at his lands for like two minutes, played a shrine, played a big hangarback, sacked the shrine, then stared at his library long enough to make it look like he was thinking about something, then played a forest into a ruin processor.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182909579]He sat there staring at his lands for like two minutes, played a shrine, played a big hangarback, sacked the shrine, then stared at his library long enough to make it look like he was thinking about something, then played a forest into a ruin processor.[/QUOTE]
Gross.

In better news from non-cheaters - Zvi wished he had played the deck at the PT.

Haines

Banned
Does anybody here play bfz draft on cockatrice? I downloaded it and i think they use draft.wtf or something to do that part.

How do i get my decklist off that and into the game? I was told click download but that doesnt work?

Im on windows 10 surface pro.

Does anybody here play bfz draft on cockatrice? I downloaded it and i think they use draft.wtf or something to do that part.

How do i get my decklist off that and into the game? I was told click download but that doesnt work?

Im on windows 10 surface pro.

Last time I drafted on Cockatrice (around origins) they used the website drafts.in. After you're done export the decklist as .cod and load it in the match.

Haines

Banned
Last time I drafted on Cockatrice (around origins) they used the website drafts.in. After you're done export the decklist as .cod and load it in the match.

I tried the .cod download and my cursur just did a loading swirl and never dl anything.

Maybe the host just used a bad website or something. I'll just try another draft tonight and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182897297]I wonder what the next set of Expeditions is gonna be. 20 slots makes me think that there won't be another set of Santalands in Oath. I guess they could do a full cycle of something like Manlands, then a 5 and 5 set, but what would the other cycle of lands be outside of the Santalands? Horizon Canopy cycle?[/QUOTE]Manlands and Filter Lands is my guess.

Man I wish the Commander 2015 sets were already spoiled. I want to plan out my discretionary spending for the next month and it would be a lot easier to do if I knew whether or not I wanted to pick up the Commander sets or just aim for singles.

Well at least we will know by either the end of this week or the next. I'm hoping for good GB & RW decks personally.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182897297]I wonder what the next set of Expeditions is gonna be. 20 slots makes me think that there won't be another set of Santalands in Oath. I guess they could do a full cycle of something like Manlands, then a 5 and 5 set, but what would the other cycle of lands be outside of the Santalands? Horizon Canopy cycle?[/QUOTE]

Could it not just be reprints of things like shocklands and the Scars of Mirrodin lands?

Crocodile

I'd love for the Battle Land cycle to be completed next set but I assume that would make the mana in T2 too good and WOTC would avoid doing that :(

Not really looking forward to having to wait X years to finish that cycle :/

Yeef

I'd love for the Battle Land cycle to be completed next set but I assume that would make the mana in T2 too good and WOTC would avoid doing that :(

Not really looking forward to having to wait X years to finish that cycle :/
I could see them finishing it in the next block or the following block if Domain comes back.

It's really neat to hear that an Eldrazi ramp deck did well, though it sucks that the player cheated.

As for lands, I actually expect the next block to have the checklands (enter tapped unless you control a X or Y), since they could work with the tangolands. Maybe a mix of allies and enemies.

Yeef

I think they'll try to tone down the mana significantly. Scars-Innistrad is the last time that it wasn't trivial to play 3-color decks.

y2dvd

Tied for 3rd at gameday today with Esper Dragon, losing to 5-color Temur-ish deck. Missing landdrops and opponent drawing 2 cards with every creature via 2 Temur Ascendancy and giving creatures haste was peace out for me. Not sure what I would change in my mb, but I definitely need to put some Duress in the sb.

First place was a BW Eldrazi control that was crazy impressive. Bunch of Silk Wraps, Stasis Snares, Quarantine Fields, and Utter Ends to survive early and give food for processors. Read the Bones for draws. Creatures were Wasteland Strangler, Blight Herder, Oblivion Sower, and big 'ol Ulamog. Mage-Ring Network takes a slot and boy did it do work. Gonna probably put one in my control deck now.

Some poor guy poured coffee all over his cards that were decked out foils that was $300+. Keep drinks away from the table!

drafting 4 undead servants in 3xORI is pretty fun, especially when you play them four turns in a row when someone keeps killing them. zambies

Haines

Banned
I dont havea fraking clue how lands are added to magic.

They add new basic art every set right? Then what? Do they add like 20 new lands every set or whats the rule of thumb here.

I tried cockatrice and it seems fine. I need to learn how to get fast with doing all the commands and such. I could see it being a bit tougher to play with it essentialy being a kitchen table but no voice on the other end unless chat is used.

Ill muck with it a bit and see if i can get any enjoy,emt out of it, but i feel i would rather just go to a buddys and play or bug my girl

New basics every block. Oath will have BfZ lands and they are identical and count like any other to all other basics of their type, when they do return blocks there usually are a couple reprints.

I hope once Khan's and Dragons rotate out the graveyard will become less of a resource for awhile. Delving is one thing but coupled with recursion, weenie reanimation and flashback it's a bit much.

JulianImp

drafting 4 undead servants in 3xORI is pretty fun, especially when you play them four turns in a row when someone keeps killing them. zambies

I remember a weird 3xMOR draft where some guy ended up with six copies of the 1W 2/2 kithkin that gained flying if you paid W as it attacked, as well as six copies of some other good white weenie. I only ended up beating him because my RG deck managed to hold off his early game rush until my large late-game giants and changelings could turn the tide in my favor.

That makes me wonder about Coldsnap drafts with more than four copies of ripple spells... that must've been really crazy in terms of card advantage.

duxstar

So I realized the problem I had with Jeskai today (other than me hating every deck under the sun which I'm sure Gb will point out).

The problem is that past turns 2,and 3, they remind me of a draw go control deck. As in everything past Mantis Rider and Jace are cards that wait for you to do something. Basically it's Jace, Mantis Rider, hold up ojutais command. At least that seemed to be the play pattern I seen a lot today.

Makes me really want to find a deck for Dragonlord Dromoka (also my web general becayse fuck prophet of kruphix).

Also Reid Duke almost won the whole thing with I'm pretty sure creatureless esper control , well he had 4 Jaces and 1 arashin cleric, so I guess not entirely creatureless but yeah I was rooting pretty hard against him.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I legit don't understand the popularity of Atarka Red. It's actively bad against the most popular deck, even mainboard and its not even cheap anymore. I mean, okay, I guess it's "comparatively cheap."

I guess people like getting blown out on their three card combos?

ElyrionX

So I realized the problem I had with Jeskai today (other than me hating every deck under the sun which I'm sure Gb will point out).

The problem is that past turns 2,and 3, they remind me of a draw go control deck. As in everything past Mantis Rider and Jace are cards that wait for you to do something. Basically it's Jace, Mantis Rider, hold up ojutais command. At least that seemed to be the play pattern I seen a lot today.

Makes me really want to find a deck for Dragonlord Dromoka (also my web general becayse fuck prophet of kruphix).

Also Reid Duke almost won the whole thing with I'm pretty sure creatureless esper control , well he had 4 Jaces and 1 arashin cleric, so I guess not entirely creatureless but yeah I was rooting pretty hard against him.

At least it's better than the old Jeskai where it's Seeker, Mantis, wait for opponent to cast Rhino, scoop.

I legit don't understand the popularity of Atarka Red. It's actively bad against the most popular deck, even mainboard and its not even cheap anymore. I mean, okay, I guess it's "comparatively cheap."

It skullfucks draw-go. That's reason enough for me. :)

edit: Got my hands on a Sunken Hollow... I know lands' value always goes up, but I'm fighting temptation to pull the trigger on Cinder Glade and Hollow. :p

Xis

I dont havea fraking clue how lands are added to magic.

They add new basic art every set right? Then what? Do they add like 20 new lands every set or whats the rule of thumb here.

Typically, every big set has 4 new arts for each basic land, and a small set has 0, but this can vary a lot.

As for non-basics, there's no pattern, other than a big set will usually have at least one 5-card cycle of rare dual lands. (Battle for Zendikar has a land theme, so has more land than normal, and Khans of Tarkir had a multicolor theme so it needed to have more mana fixing than normal).

y2dvd

He foiled out his deck but didn't double sleeve his deck? C'mon son!

His own cards or someone else's cards?

I always get nervous when someone puts a drink near my deck.
His own cards. He was switching cards in and out before gameday, got up, knocked over his drink and open box and yeah. I played him first round. Dude had expedition lands, foil unhinged lands, and every other card besides maybe 2 cards that weren't foiled out. He ran Abzan doe. Can't imagine how much a foiled out Jeskai Black/Esper Deck would cost. The nonfoil is already near a grand!

I like bringing in Surge vs them. They are usually getting 3 for 1'd.

Screw it, gonna be running that land destruction deck that Saffron posted. Going big with Oblivion Sower and Ulamog though!

noquarter

Should always put drinks on the ground near your feet. Less chance of someone shaking the table and spilling it. Usually try to keep drinks near the table legs, just one more thing blocking them from being kicked.

And also if you have an expensive deck and don't double sleeve you're kind of asking for your cards to get damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom