• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Buhaha give this guy some negative reviews.

Just want to reiterate pictures do not do those expedition lands justice.

What I will defend about Standard is there are a few decks suprisingly popping out of the woodwork. Thought it was gonna be a Atarka Red/GW Megamorph/Jeskai black world.

its his auction, not mine

alternade

So which is the stronger of the control decks this season? Esper, Jeskai or Azurios? Im slowly creeping back into standard after sitting out all of khans block. I refuse to buy the new Jace bc every game i see him in he doesn't perform how most control decks would want him to outside of looting.

Yeef

What I will defend about Standard is there are a few decks suprisingly popping out of the woodwork. Thought it was gonna be a Atarka Red/GW Megamorph/Jeskai black world.
A Naya Hardened Scales deck won our second event. I'm always glad to see rogue decks do well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Any ideas as to why on earth this deck went 3-0? I thought it was 2-1 at best, though I'm happy with the outcome.

dPYznDW.jpg

The top of your curve looks like blowout win central

Haines

Banned
Any ideas as to why on earth this deck went 3-0? I thought it was 2-1 at best, though I'm happy with the outcome.

dPYznDW.jpg

For every average card you have an awesome one. Nice synergies, removals and lots of ways to win incombat where ot matters, win conditions ect.

Thats a sick draft dude.

The result of my past couple weeks of trading ^_^ Once I get the last couple money cards from the deck, I'll spend the last 25 bucks to get the random commons.

draft282j7m.png

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";183218504]The result of my past couple weeks of trading ^_^ Once I get the last couple money cards from the deck, I'll spend the last 25 bucks to get the random commons.

draft282j7m.png
[/QUOTE]

Damn, nice work! Really want to fiddle with that deck but I don't feel like trading for the few cards I'd need to fill it out.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";183218504]The result of my past couple weeks of trading ^_^ Once I get the last couple money cards from the deck, I'll spend the last 25 bucks to get the random commons.

draft282j7m.png
[/QUOTE]
Why would you spend a shitload of money to copy a deck with one good tournament result? I guess two if you count the other tournament where the same guy had a decent result.

Modern is just too expensive to buy a deck simply because it looks "fun" and I don't think Lantern is well positioned at all. It's a deck that did okay because nobody boards anything for it or knew what it was doing in the tournament it was successful in. I legit would like to know what makes you believe the deck is positioned to do well as a known deck.

y2dvd

its his auction, not mine
I was referring to the other person. :)

So which is the stronger of the control decks this season? Esper, Jeskai or Azurios? Im slowly creeping back into standard after sitting out all of khans block. I refuse to buy the new Jace bc every game i see him in he doesn't perform how most control decks would want him to outside of looting.
I think Jeskai Black is considered the strongest. It's just a threat at all stages of the game while if a creature gets under the other decks' counters, you can take a beating before being able to answer it. I got 3rd with Esper on gameday, but a UW deck got far. Jeskai Black is probably more tempo deck that can easily turn into a control role post sb,

Jace is bonkers in control and deserves to be answered every time. Looting for cheap, fuels DDT, powering down an attacker, snapcasting...I mean what else does control does? If only you could activate his abilities on oppoent's turn to snapcast whatever! I hate to admit he's worth a very high price tag.

A Naya Hardened Scales deck won our second event. I'm always glad to see rogue decks do well.
Yeah, BW Eldrazi control won ours. I see a mono green ramp deck took down some other event. BU Aristocrats looks fun. Maybe we'll end up liking this standard!

So is land destruction ever fair game in EDH? Played 2 small pods and had one guy ramp to 10+ mana in no time. I switched plays to pretty much have Prophet of Kruphix, Terastodon, and Deadeye Navigator out to deal with his lands and eventually killed the tokens with Prenacious Deed. There were some grumblings but dude was gonna be able to one shot us 1 turn with Kessig Wolf Run. I dunno. I guess I'm not seeing the difference between land destruction vs crazy mana ramping.

Why would you spend a shitload of money to copy a deck with one good tournament result?
Trades aren't technically spending money :p

I'd love to play Legacy because Modern sucks, but nobody plays Legacy and it's 4x the price of Modern.

I legit would like to know what makes you believe the deck is positioned to do well as a known deck.
Months of testing and the fact that a deck full of hand disruption that's based on fatesealing is inherently good at beating sideboard cards? I've been playing this deck proxied on cockatrice and in real life enough to know I like it better than my other options in modern. I could play Grixis Twin but that deck is really mind numbing to play. Lantern Control is the most puzzle-like Modern deck along with Amulet Bloom, and that makes it a lot of fun to play for me personally.

ironmang

Done procrastinating and ready to make some changes and do some last minute playtesting for the RPTQ this weekend. Going with Affinity since I don't own any other deck and this one has given me my best competitive W/L record of any deck I've ever played. Here's the list I'm starting with... haven't really been paying a whole lot of attention to modern the last two months so is there anything here that's outdated or some hot new deck I should be dedicating sideboard spots for?

Mainboard
4 Arcbound Ravager
2 Etched Champion
1 Master of Etherium
2 Hangarback Walker
2 Memnite
4 Ornithopter
4 Signal Pest
2 Spellskite
3 Steel Overseer
4 Vault Skirge

4 Cranial Plating
3 Springleaf Drum
1 Ensoul Artifact
3 Galvanic Blast
4 Mox Opal

4 Darksteel Citadel
1 Mountain
4 Blinkmoth Nexus
4 Glimmervoid
4 Inkmoth Nexus

Sideboard
2 Etched Champion
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Spell Pierce
2 Ghirapur Aether Grid
2 Ancient Grudge
1 Galvanic Blast
2 Thoughtseize
2 Whipflare

Couple changes I've been thinking about were 1 Steel Overseer out for 2nd Master of Etherium, and 1 Memnite out for 4th Springleaf Drum since Memnite is very often the worst card in the deck against any matchup.

Bandini

Done procrastinating and ready to make some changes and do some last minute playtesting for the RPTQ this weekend. Going with Affinity since I don't own any other deck and this one has given me my best competitive W/L record of any deck I've ever played. Here's the list I'm starting with... haven't really been paying a whole lot of attention to modern the last two months so is there anything here that's outdated or some hot new deck I should be dedicating sideboard spots for?

Couple changes I've been thinking about were 1 Steel Overseer out for 2nd Master of Etherium, and 1 Memnite out for 4th Springleaf Drum since Memnite is very often the worst card in the deck against any matchup.

Obviously just my opinion, and I don't claim to be a master of the deck although I have played my fair share of it.

I would definitely go up to 4 Springleaf Drums, if Memnite is the card you feel is best to cut then go for it, although personally I might cut a Hangarback. I wouldn't cut Steel Overseer to 2 as it just gets out quicker than Master.

Wear / Tear might be a good sideboard option over Hurkyl's Recall, it just hits more decks. Unless of course you expect to see a lot of Affinity. Against Lantern Control, I'm not really sure which is better, but you may not even see that deck.

Blood Moon is really good right now as well with a lot of decks not running many basics.

Uncharted Realms - The Liberation of Sea Gate
* "For Zendikar!" appears, but this isn't a Kreines story.
* Gideon at first just has everyone charge toward the city, a lot of people die, his commanders have to remind him that his soldiers aren't all him. Munda only has one line, but he comes off better here than in that Nissa story.
* They try again later with an actual strategy and make progress.
* Drana and the other vampires run the night campaign while the others rest.
* Kiora arrives and fights Eldrazi in the sea. Kiora tells Gideon that she's a planeswalker, and he recognizes her bident. She considers herself the general of a separate army and doesn't strategize with Gideon, so he just operates under the assumption that she'll protect the army's sea-facing flank.
* When they reach the actual city, Nissa arrives with elementals to help win the battle. She doesn't have any lines.
* As soon as the city is cleared, Jori En returns, warning of Ulamog approaching the city.

The next two Uncharted Realms will be about Commander 2015, and Battle for Zendikar stories will resume on November 18.

GGs phazed!

BTW, here's my current Lantern Control list which has a few nice tweaks:

draft2n3o32.png

I cut the Simians mostly because I wanted a third Ghost Quarter and another way to interact with graveyards maindeck.

I went down to one Infernal Tutor as well, it lets me play more 1-ofs and grab an extra Lantern/Bridge/Needle when I need it but the 2nd one in hand is horrendous. This version is a little more hateful which is good, but a little less explosive, which gives up a percentage point or two in post-board games against Burn since I can't turn one Sun Droplet in normal circumstances now.

OnPoint

Uncharted Realms - The Liberation of Sea Gate
* "For Zendikar!" appears, but this isn't a Kreines story.
* Gideon at first just has everyone charge toward the city, a lot of people die, his commanders have to remind him that his soldiers aren't all him. Munda only has one line, but he comes off better here than in that Nissa story.
* They try again later with an actual strategy and make progress.
* Drana and the other vampires run the night campaign while the others rest.
* Kiora arrives and fights Eldrazi in the sea. Kiora tells Gideon that she's a planeswalker, and he recognizes her bident. She considers herself the general of a separate army and doesn't strategize with Gideon, so he just operates under the assumption that she'll protect the army's sea-facing flank.
* When they reach the actual city, Nissa arrives with elementals to help win the battle. She doesn't have any lines.
* As soon as the city is cleared, Jori En returns, warning of Ulamog approaching the city.

The next two Uncharted Realms will be about Commander 2015, and Battle for Zendikar stories will resume on November 18.
That was the most exciting story of the bunch so far. And the best written. No whining or stupidity. I get that a battle is going to be more exciting, but I'm always glad when I enjoy one of these as opposed to not.

jph139

Yeah, story was pretty good this week. Definitely felt like a payoff for all of the rambly stories over the past few weeks, so they managed the landing at least.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";183231347]Trades aren't technically spending money :p

I'd love to play Legacy because Modern sucks, but nobody plays Legacy and it's 4x the price of Modern.

Months of testing and the fact that a deck full of hand disruption that's based on fatesealing is inherently good at beating sideboard cards? I've been playing this deck proxied on cockatrice and in real life enough to know I like it better than my other options in modern. I could play Grixis Twin but that deck is really mind numbing to play. Lantern Control is the most puzzle-like Modern deck along with Amulet Bloom, and that makes it a lot of fun to play for me personally.[/QUOTE]

I guess I just think Modern is too expensive to play what you like. As shitty as that sounds. (Says me who has 2 modern decks) As for the "money" thing, well trading isn't that different from buying cards really. They have value. And Lantern cards having continued value is pretty dependent on how well the deck performs in the next modern season.

Actually my BW Tokens build needs more Inquisition of Kozilek, but I don't want to drop 15 bones on a card that is prime to be reprinted in POWER RANGERS. Of course, it could just get pushed out by Maro on the grounds that a non-devoid Eldrazi themed spell has to be Devoid. But perhaps they can just flavor it as Ob Nixilis doing Kozilek's bidding or something.

Angry Grimace

Also, reminder that MTGO is running INN-INN-INN drafts this week.

Angry Grimace

Can you survive the TERROR of the MTGO client?? *woooooo*

Fun fact: they decided to fix the "return from donwtime" lag by simply putting the game into No Pay mode (e.g. you can't actually do anything) for like 30 minutes.

Jhriad

And Lantern cards having continued value is pretty dependent on how well the deck performs in the next modern season.

Err... what? Pretty much every card of any value other than Ensnaring Bridge (buyout in progress as we speak by the way) and Lantern itself in Lantern Control sees play in other Modern decks or EDH so even if the deck tanks, the majority of the deck will retain most, if not all, of the value that it had previously.

EDIT: Buyout was contrained supply and goofy setting on TCGPlayer. Supply on Ensnaring Bridge is constrained enough that even if the deck tanks you're looking at maybe a ~$30 loss. Probably less.

Angry Grimace

Err... what? Pretty much every card of any value other than Ensnaring Bridge (buyout in progress as we speak by the way) and Lantern itself in Lantern Control sees play in other Modern decks or EDH so even if the deck tanks, the majority of the deck will retain most, if not all, of the value that it had previously.

EDIT: Buyout was contrained supply and goofy setting on TCGPlayer. Supply on Ensnaring Bridge is constrained enough that even if the deck tanks you're looking at maybe a ~$30 loss. Probably less.

I think Ensnaring Bridge is a prime target to get banned and even if it doesn't Lantern itself has no value unless the deck does well. I guess you don't "lose" everything, but there's still like $300 of cards you have to buy to put the deck together.

Jhriad

but there's still like $300 of cards you have to buy to put the deck together.

Most of which you can sell/trade out of afterward with no real loss in value because of their use elsewhere. Heck, even if Ensnaring Bridge gets banned (barring some more good showings and/or some decent gains in the overall Meta, I have my doubts) it'll probably just fall to somewhere close to it's previous value since most of the original demand was related to formats like EDH. Worst case you lose something like $60 in value. I'd be much more concerned about the potential loss of value in reprints of Inquisition of Kozilek (Oath, maybe?) or the lands atm. If Affinity, and the hate targeting artifacts, weren't so big right now I think something in Lantern Control might be more likely to see a ban but as it stands it's not as large and impact as I think they would like to make when using the ban stick. We've still got a ways until the next ban announcement though so if the meta shifts enough it's not inconceivable.

All of that said, I don't know that it's a deck that I would buy into currently. Maybe trade into, if I had some of the pieces already and I could get some decent trades.

Yeah, I traded off my IoKs a while back because I was sure they'd be printed in BFZ. Now I need them, but I'm also expecting a print in Oath if Kozilek's coming back. Super annoying.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";183287438]Yeah, I traded off my IoKs a while back because I was sure they'd be printed in BFZ. Now I need them, but I'm also expecting a print in Oath if Kozilek's coming back. Super annoying.[/QUOTE]

If Maro couldn't get Ghostfire into BFZ, I'm actually fairly skeptical he can get IOK into BFZ. I'd just buy 'em now and eat the ~30 bucks if you're wrong.

OnPoint

I think Ensnaring Bridge is a prime target to get banned and even if it doesn't Lantern itself has no value unless the deck does well. I guess you don't "lose" everything, but there's still like $300 of cards you have to buy to put the deck together.

Why would Bridge get banned?

kirblar

Lantern itself is the target if the deck ever critical masses. JTMS and Courser are both considered mistakes because of the way they allow top-deck interaction, its just not healthy for the game.

ACE 1991

So is Cockatrice super cumbersome? Never used it, but I'd to be able to practice playing my deck. Am I likely to run into cheaters and such?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
So is Cockatrice super cumbersome? Never used it, but I'd to be able to practice playing my deck. Am I likely to run into cheaters and such?

Unless they've updated the client a ton in recent years (which is totally possible), you'll find it insanely cumbersome at first. It's more of a virtual tabletop than anything else, but you really need to know the commands to play a game in a realistic amount of time without pissing off your opponents. Some players are more than willing to teach new players, whereas others will have no patience for you. In terms of cheating, it's not like it really matters. It's all for fun only and there is no tracking of anything, so if you encounter a cheater, just quit the match and start a new one.

Of course, I haven't played Cockatrice in years now, so I could be way off.

Jhriad

If Maro couldn't get Ghostfire into BFZ, I'm actually fairly skeptical he can get IOK into BFZ. I'd just buy 'em now and eat the ~30 bucks if you're wrong.

If they aren't able to slot them into Oath they might squeeze them into the Clash Pack for the set or, less likely, it could be in one of the Commander products. The Zendikar vs Eldrazi Duel Deck had some reprints of value from the original Zendikar block so it might happen again.

Yeef

If they aren't able to slot them into Oath they might squeeze them into the Clash Pack for the set or, less likely, it could be in one of the Commander products. The Zendikar vs Eldrazi Duel Deck had some reprints of value from the original Zendikar block so it might happen again.
Clash packs are standard-legal cards only, so if they're not in the set they won't be in the Clash Pack.

That said, I think Transgress the mind decreases the chance that we see Inquisition in Oath.

Angry Grimace

It makes me laugh how much of a boner MTGO players have for Nissa's Pilgrimage Ulamog decks. They're fucking horrible, but I play them about 50% of the time now.

It looks fun and has surprisingly good matchups

Should have seen twtich react to Gaby Spartz playing it in SSL, completely misogynist until they were schooled by people pointing out she's completely undefeated so far.

Angry Grimace

It looks fun and has surprisingly good matchups

Should have seen twtich react to Gaby Spartz playing it in SSL, completely misogynist until they were schooled by people pointing out she's completely undefeated so far.

People saying the deck is bad aren't "misogynist." It has bad matchups against decks that do anything and its matchup is particularly ruinous against control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom