• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Spell Shrivels were funny, but they're also just worse than Scatter like 99% of the time since the Exile clause is basically irrelevant.

This deck is a blast to play, but yes, its basically draw-go control with a few tap-out elements to it to get the game over with. Oblivion Sower is a fucking house in a control mirror. I goddamn love that guy.

Creatures:

2 Fathom Feeder
3 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
4 Oblivion Sower
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

1 Hedron Archive
3 Ojutai's Command
2 Clash of Wills
2 Titan's Presence
2 Complete Disregard
3 Scatter to the Winds
2 Utter End
2 Languish
3 Dig Through Time

Land (26):

5 Island
2 Plains
3 Swamp
2 Prairie Stream
2 Sunken Hollow
4 Polluted Delta
4 Flooded Strand
2 Blighted Fen
2 Shambling Vent

Sideboard:

3 Duress
1 Transgress the Mind
1 Secure the Wastes
1 Negate
2 Dispel
1 Languish
2 Despise
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Planar Outburst
1 Quarantine Field

Not online. Ramp has taken over Aristocrats as the flavor of the week.

Yeah, we were talking about that on the last page. I don't think its a particularly great deck, but you don't have to listen to me, I find it boring as fuck to play against and my completely anecdotal evidence is that it doesn't seem great.

I dunno. It doesn't seem like it has a great matchup with Jeskai Black (because Ulamog is far less indestructible than the keyword would imply against Utter End and Crackling Doom), my experience is that it has a pretty bad matchup trying to close against control and while I haven't played an aggro vs. ramp game, I can't really imagine that's in Ramp's favor since it does basically nothing for 5 turns and going wide seems particularly effective against it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dear Exert Influence: please stop being so hilarious.

jph139

228501.jpg

Anyone recognize this guy? Could be our first hint at the next block... feels Mirran to me.

Angry Grimace

Willing to bet we don't go back to New Phyrexia for a while and if we do people will rage because all of the mechanics we still know about there are kind of bullshit.
KuGsj.gif

Hackworth

So, should Rhys the Redeemed EDH include From Beyond, Awakening Zone, & Eldrazi Monument or is there something better for the token creation and wincon slots?

It's not, it's usually ~2-3 years out. He's known of the dev veto on infect for about a year now.
The Devs vetoed Infect? I didn't hear that.

Angry Grimace

So, should Rhys the Redeemed EDH include From Beyond, Awakening Zone, & Eldrazi Monument or is there something better for the token creation and wincon slots?

He said it on his blog that the devs decided it sucks.

Aww. I liked infect.

Since the storm scale only refers to Standard, I think there's a decent chance that the BG Commander deck this year will be focused on infect/proliferate, since there's been a fair amount of demand for a commander like that. The one legendary infect creature is mono-black.

Angry Grimace

Since the storm scale only refers to Standard, I think there's a decent chance that the BG Commander deck this year will be focused on infect/proliferate, since there's been a fair amount of demand for a commander like that. The one legendary infect creature is mono-black.
The problem with an infect commander deck is that I don't think there are enough creatures to fill a singleton deck and they only make like 10 new cards per deck? Less?

Yeef

Red: I'd move Valukut Predator up a spot and Ondu Champion ahead of Vestige.

Blue: I'd move Cloud Manta, Wave-Wing and Tightening coils a lot higher. It seems like he seems to favor forcing Eldrazi. Murk Strider isn't really a good card if you don't have anything to process.

Black: I'd draft Bone Splinters and Silent Skimmer a lot higher. The former is a great removal spell, especially with all the token-makers floating around. The latter is a good attacker and a great blocker.

White: I'd pick the Rampart a lot higher. Normally I'm not a huge fan of defenders, but Rampart is surprisingly good in this format. Everything else looks fine.

Green: I'd probably switch mantis and Unnatural Connection. Other than that, it all falls in line with my choices.

The one thing to keep in mind is that BFZ is very synergy-oriented. Unnatural COnnection, for example, is solid in a Landfall deck, but a lot more underwhelming in decks that aren't working off of landfall. A lot of the processors, like Murk Strider, aren't really good if you don't have a good amount of ingest or other exile effects. Likewise, Ingest isn't particularly exciting without processors.

228501.jpg

Anyone recognize this guy? Could be our first hint at the next block... feels Mirran to me.

Dammit, you're gonna give kirblar a swelled head here.

I just want some damn Commander 2015 spoilers!

This "oh we just want to wait until the last set is out to do teasing!" thing is a complete fiasco. The early teasers of Commander 2014 did nothing at all to distract from Khans hype and actually drove a ton of attention to the product because people were speculating about historical characters appearing, planeswalker abilities, etc. Nobody's excited on this one and a week of teasing isn't going to make up for that.

Over the course of a year, year and a half, his estimate on Blogatog went from Storm Scale 3 (equivalent to Morph, i.e. almost certain to come back) to Storm Scale 8 (equivalent to Madness, i.e. almost certain not to return.) When asked about it he explained that development was "down" on the mechanic because "it's hard to develop." (Which is true -- it's tough enough to get right in Standard, and any decent showing in Standard would be obnoxious for Modern.) Basically the only reason that would even come up is that they're planning another Phyrexian block and dev killed a return of infect.

traveler

Not Wario
I really hope they're not returning to another plan just after just one block of (presumably) original material. Fortunately, if this art is legit and a signal, it's also conceivable that Puresteel Paladin is a reprint for Kaladesh, with metalcraft being a returning mechanic.

Yeef

More than likely, it's placeholder art. I can't see them putting non-planeswalker art as the cover of any Arena of the Planeswalkers expansions. The game is heavily centered on the planeswalkers.

duxstar

Owen just makes it so easy to hate him doesn't he. Green is completely unplayable ..... I hear it every set yet I, and others still win games with it. I guess we just got lucky with our bad cards and don't know what we're doing when we draft.

Thank god we had Owen there to tell us how bad we are for playing unplayable cards.

Next time I get brood monitor and Tajura warcaller passed to me I'll just keep taking those 1/2 kalastria healers.

Angry Grimace

Owen just makes it so easy to hate him doesn't he. Green is completely unplayable ..... I hear it every set yet I, and others still win games with it. I guess we just got lucky with our bad cards and don't know what we're doing when we draft.

Thank god we had Owen there to tell us how bad we are for playing unplayable cards.

Next time I get brood monitor and Tajura warcaller passed to me I'll just keep taking those 1/2 kalastria healers.

I'm gonna give Owen credit: green is fucking terrible even if it's open unless you get Omnath or something.

Angry Grimace

I've been trying to see if I can fit Gideon into BW Tokens in Modern, but it keeps coming back to the same point - Elspeth, Knight-Errant is a fucking lot better as a general proposition even if she has no particular synergy beyond making dudes, Even then, Elspeth is 4 mana I don't want to spend in a deck where that's the top end.

ElyrionX

It's fucking ridiculous. My LGS has started taking preorders for Commander 2015. The set is due to be released 2 weeks from now and no one has any damn clue about what the set is going to be like.

Firemind

Are people that excited for Commander spoilers? I mean it'd be nice if we get another TNN but I'm not holding my breath.
The U/R commanders are going to suck.

Jhriad

228501.jpg

Huh. If Metalcraft is coming back maybe we can get another reprint of Mox Opal. With Affinity being the most popular deck in Modern it sure would be nice to knock that price down longer term.

Are people that excited for Commander spoilers? I mean it'd be nice if we get another TNN but I'm not holding my breath.
The U/R commanders are going to suck.

It's the second most popular format so there's bound to be a ton of interest. This wait is a little silly. They should have spoiled the contents a week or two ago.

Haines

Banned

I dunno that green is unplayable but it is certainly not as likable as some red, blue, or white cards.

Matriox

It's fucking ridiculous. My LGS has started taking preorders for Commander 2015. The set is due to be released 2 weeks from now and no one has any damn clue about what the set is going to be like.

This particularly sucks because LGS's mostly order this kind of product based on demand. No spoilers = no pre-orders, must mean no demand so the LGS only orders a couple sets or none at all..

Bandini

I enjoy drafting Simic in BFZ, but I kinda suck so take that with a grain of salt.

GU is pretty much the way to go if you draft Ulamog. Eyeless Watcher, Eldrazi Skyspawner, Blighted Steepe, Natural Connection, just enough disruption. And hopefully you can snag a Conduit of Ruin, it tends to go fairly late

Yeef

Seems like Prism Array was another victim of better-safe-than-sorry last-minute development.
Prism Array had the activated ability to return it to your hand for WUBRG. This made it almost impossible for a creature deck to beat, since the Bring to Light deck could easily turtle up and use Prism Array to lock down two or more creatures a turn, then cast a Wrath once enough creatures were on the battlefield to get beyond the Prism Array.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/article...days-future-future-battle-zendikar-2015-10-30

Santiako

Spoilers start this monday, hopefully we get something on this weekend's GPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom