• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

Liliana dropping like a rock online, I guess because of Inistrad draft...I bought 3 last week before it was announced. Down 6 dollars yesterday.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
First opponent has Geist of Saint Traft and Skaab Ruinator

yes I lost fucking horribly

Haines

Banned
Question time.

Any live bfz drafting this weekend?

I mentioned my firend told me to build decks in draft consisiting of 17 creatures, 6 spells, lands. What makes those numbers change? To say...more creatures or more spells? Is it just how many playables you get or do certain archetypes benefit from more than the other?

Is it worth drafting super aggressive in this format? what type of decks would you go for to be aggressive! Anything allies and black red devoid?
My goal is to take it, and im considering to see if an aggressive type is open.

Jhriad

If Metalcraft does come back next year I think we all know one card we can expect to see.

95.jpg

It'll be at Mythic this time though. Cuz, you know, Red.

OnPoint

In regards to a post made yesterday in conjunction with the Phoenix post above: I'd be shocked that, if Metalcraft were to come back on Kaladesh, we'd see any set-specific reprints. Kuldotha Phoenix and Puresteel Paladin (with that art specifically) are unlikely to appear in a non-New Phyrexia-based set.

I'd prefer if they did Metalcraft again in the return to New Phyrexia and gave it a little kick. And made something new for Kaladesh.

duxstar

Speaking of which why does red get a janky as hell Phoenix every single set. Is it an appeasement to the Magic cthulu or what.

ultron87

I mentioned my firend told me to build decks in draft consisiting of 17 creatures, 6 spells, lands. What makes those numbers change? To say...more creatures or more spells? Is it just how many playables you get or do certain archetypes benefit from more than the other?

Any sort of creature/spell ratio rule is incredibly loose. If you have 9 good spells you'll probably play all of them over mediocre creatures even if it leaves you with a few fewer creatures than normal. In most formats you need some minimum of creatures (or loads of removal) to block your opponent's creatures, but beyond that, it is entirely based on the deck and the cards you're picking from.

Lucario

If Return to Return to Mirrodin really the mid-late 2016 block, I hope they actually do something with the Praetors, especially Urabrask. The fat pack booklet made him seem integral to the plot, but the block novel didn't even mention him. Or any of the other praetors, for that matter. I read that shitty book on an airplane and still managed to feel like it wasted my time.

Still, the idea of red mana fucking up Urabrask's Phyrexian "programming" and causing him to turn against the other factions sounds like the right kind of cheesy sci-fi plot for Return to New Phyrexia. He's already taking in Mirran refugees and hasn't been killing or Compleating anyone, so something's up.

.... Then again, knowing the writing staff, I'm sure they'll start the plot with "lol Elesh Norn slaughtered every interesting character offscreen". Then Jace will show up riding on the back of an Eldrazi, brood for a bit, then hop off to make snarky comments at Karn.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Holy balls I'm getting cut so hard in pack 3 this is nonsensical

OnPoint

If Return to Return to Mirrodin really the mid-late 2016 block, I hope they actually do something with the Praetors, especially Urabrask. The fat pack booklet made him seem integral to the plot, but the block novel didn't even mention him. Or any of the other praetors, for that matter. I read that shitty book on an airplane and still managed to feel like it wasted my time.

Still, the idea of red mana fucking up Urabrask's Phyrexian "programming" and causing him to turn against the other factions sounds like the right kind of cheesy sci-fi plot for Return to New Phyrexia. He's already taking in Mirran refugees and hasn't been killing or Compleating anyone, so something's up.

.... Then again, knowing the writing staff, I'm sure they'll start the plot with "lol Elesh Norn slaughtered every interesting character offscreen". Then Jace will show up riding on the back of an Eldrazi, brood for a bit, then hop off to make snarky comments at Karn.
I would love it if that actually happened. But what you follow up with in paragraph three is more likely.

Angry Grimace

Basically my plan is "get Bloodline Keeper into play and hope he doesn't die" because everything associated with the Vampire deck got cut hard pack 3 for reasons I can't explain.

(my actual plan is "drop and go eat lunch")

Haines

Banned
GP Lyon is this weekend. Tomorrow is sealed, Sunday is draft.

Where do I find hard details on this event for watching. Couldn't find exactly what I was looking for on Google.

I'm def interested in the entire weekend tho Halloween is tmrw and I'll be going to a draft Sunday so prob end up a day behind on vods which can be a better experience anyways

Santiako

Where do I find hard details on this event for watching. Couldn't find exactly what I was looking for on Google.

I'm def interested in the entire weekend tho Halloween is tmrw and I'll be going to a draft Sunday so prob end up a day behind on vods which can be a better experience anyways

You can watch in twitch.tv/magic (GP Lyon) or twitch.tv/magic2 (GP Indianapolis).

Angry Grimace

You have Bloodline Keeper and you're worried about vampires? :lol
Yes, I suck at Magic, get it out of your system. The deck was coming together pretty well for the first two packs. But then both colors got cut really hard. The problem is that I was kind of counting on the third pack giving me some playable dudes (and no, it didn't really matter whether they were Vampires, the colors just got cut).

Ashodin

Karn should bitchslap Jace. Get some old walker on new walker action

"Back in my day we fought phyrexians on actual planes with fists not spells son"

Angry Grimace

I'm not saying Charmbreaker Devils/Into the Maw of Hell is the world's greatest combo, but I am saying it is very amusing.

They briefly mention how things turned out in The Lost Confession
There was a brief time after Karn left that I thought the resistance had a chance. The praetors were squabbling among themselves for supremacy. But they all began to despise the interloper, Tezzeret. Although the resistance had limited access to information, we believed Elesh Norn had dominated Urabrask's and Sheoldreds' domains.

And that's all we got.

Angry Grimace

"And we had bitchin' mechs."

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

We need a block of mechanics that don't work with both the Forbidden mechanic and Barry's Land (plus Domain). And the sixth color that was removed from Planar Chaos.

(For those who don't know: the Forbidden mechanic was a "secret" mechanic (I think it was Dark Ascension? Correct me if I'm wrong) that couldn't get past development that Maro refused to divulge, but then Forsythe admitted it was a mechanic where it was an overpowered and undercosted card, but wouldn't be allowed in your deck without doing something to get it in (presumably casting a Wish card). And Barry's Land was a sixth basic land that they wanted to add in for Domain (which card about how many basic land types you had, like Power Armor does), but is and was apparently illegal under the rules.)

mm25_cave.jpg

Anyone deal with MTGIsland.com? They're a Toronto-based dealer and I've used them a bunch in the past...

I placed an order recently and after getting no real response, I got an "order failed" e-mail from their online service provider:

Code:
Order status has changed to: Failed
Order status details: Payment locked - Sellers account is locked or inactive.

They haven't replied to my e-mails, either... Kinda odd.

Angry Grimace

Auriok Champion da bess

I almost feel bad for this Mono Red Goblins guy I played since I turn 2'd Champ both games.

This particularly sucks because LGS's mostly order this kind of product based on demand. No spoilers = no pre-orders, must mean no demand so the LGS only orders a couple sets or none at all..

Yep, I can't see any way that this abbreviated hype cycle didn't hurt their demand. For main sets, a big part of the demand is driven by regular cyclical play, the name on the box, and one or two early examples of high-demand cards, but for something like Commander decks people need to actually know they're going to get play value for their own personal collection before they buy. If you don't show off anything that can hint at positives in the deck the product isn't going to register for people.

Seems like Prism Array was another victim of better-safe-than-sorry last-minute development.

Even though it gives us hot garbage like Archangel's Light I would still rather they do this than create more Skullclamps.

It'll be the commander spoiler starting or some lame MTGO announcement that will affect 5 people.

It's a new product announcement so it's very likely the Spring block since it's too early for next summer's supplemental set.

The announcement will be on Halloween, so maybe we can expect something spooky but not spooky enough to release in fall. That is to say, a fairy tale block.

Jhriad

Hold. Once this set stops being opened its going to balloon like Jace did.

It's buylisting for $30 in Indy.

It's buylisting for that much because they know that they can flip it at the GP itself for TCG Mid at the very least. Unlike JVP it doesn't have as many limitations on its likelihood of another printing in a supplemental product so I'd probably sell out if I could get near TCG Mid ($38). That's only if I wasn't planning on playing it anytime soon since I don't expect to be able to get it for under $28-30 for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom