• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wichu

Played 24Morphs.dek at FNM. Went 6-3 in games against a mix of Dark Jeskai and Esper Control. Holy hell this deck is fun (and surprisingly good!)

4 Den Protector
2 Icefeather Aven
4 Hidden Dragonslayer
4 Silumgar Assassin
4 Stratus Dancer
4 Deathmist Raptor
1 Kheru Spellsnatcher
1 Sagu Mauler
4 Obscuring Aether
2 Mastery of the Unseen
1 Trail of Mystery
3 Abzan Charm
1 Murderous Cut
1 Canopy Vista
4 Flooded Strand
1 Prairie Stream
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sunken Hollow
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
6 Forest
1 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp

4 Ainok Survivalist
3 Arashin Cleric
2 Evolutionary Leap
2 Mastery of the Unseen
2 Secret Plans
1 Anafenza, the Foremost
1 Virulent Plague

2/2 would loop raptors again

Played 24Morphs.dek at FNM. Went 6-3 in games against a mix of Dark Jeskai and Esper Control. Holy hell this deck is fun (and surprisingly good!)

4 Den Protector
2 Icefeather Aven
4 Hidden Dragonslayer
4 Silumgar Assassin
4 Stratus Dancer
4 Deathmist Raptor
1 Kheru Spellsnatcher
1 Sagu Mauler
4 Obscuring Aether
2 Mastery of the Unseen
1 Trail of Mystery
3 Abzan Charm
1 Murderous Cut
1 Canopy Vista
4 Flooded Strand
1 Prairie Stream
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sunken Hollow
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
6 Forest
1 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp

4 Ainok Survivalist
3 Arashin Cleric
2 Evolutionary Leap
2 Mastery of the Unseen
2 Secret Plans
1 Anafenza, the Foremost
1 Virulent Plague

2/2 would loop raptors again

I think you mean 3/3. :3

Haines

Banned
Black Red devoid is a real fun deck to draft. I've got two Molten Nurseries and only 4 non devoid spells. Yesssss.

Id be curious to see it. also curious if you find nursery to be do enough work. Id kind of like to go aggressive in my draft sunday, and i think red black is the aggressive mode in bfz.

kirblar

It's buylisting for that much because they know that they can flip it at the GP itself for TCG Mid at the very least. Unlike JVP it doesn't have as many limitations on its likelihood of another printing in a supplemental product so I'd probably sell out if I could get near TCG Mid ($38). That's only if I wasn't planning on playing it anytime soon since I don't expect to be able to get it for under $28-30 for a while.
Gideon is f'ing bonkers, a 4x, and one of the only actual good non-niche cards in BFZ.

When the set stops being opened, he's going to go nuts for the same reasons Jace did. Duel Deck reprint wouldn't happen until Fall 2016.

OnPoint

Gideon is f'ing bonkers, a 4x, and one of the only actual good non-niche cards in BFZ.

When the set stops being opened, he's going to go nuts for the same reasons Jace did. Duel Deck reprint wouldn't happen until Fall 2016.
Is it worth picking up copies of him for the long term?

Jhriad

He's only as high as he is now because the mana allows him to be a four-of in practically every deck that would benefit from him even slightly. BFZ will be opened quite a bit more than Origins and once the fetches rotate he, along with Jace, will see less play. Gideon will probably be $25+ for the majority of his stay in Standard but he doesn't slot into as many decks outside of Standard so after rotation he won't retain the premium he has now. That was the original question afterall, whether he would retain that price after rotation or not. He probably ends up in a supplemental product at some point in his last six months in Standard, much like Elspeth.

Haines

Banned
I sold my gideon first chance i got for 30 bucks. I dont see the risk of it going down worth the few bucks i could have got if i waited.

kirblar

He's only as high as he is now because the mana allows him to be a four-of in practically every deck that would benefit from him even slightly. BFZ will be opened quite a bit more than Origins and once the fetches rotate he, along with Jace, will see less play. Gideon will probably be $25+ for the majority of his stay in Standard but he doesn't slot into as many decks outside of Standard so after rotation he won't retain the premium he has now. That was the original question afterall, whether he would retain that price after rotation or not. He probably ends up in a supplemental product at some point in his last six months in Standard, much like Elspeth.
Which is why you dump him in 6 months, not in 12

noquarter

First draft at the store near where I live, went pretty good. Ended up drafting a W/U Ally deck with Felidar Sovereign and Lantern Captain. The Lifelink really came in handy and allowed me to tie for 1st (technically second, but only played unbeaten opponents, first in the last match played the person I beat second) Flyers really took the night, along with Stasis Snare.

Was told a couple times that I should have been using awaken more, but really didn't want to drop below 6 open mana so didn't use it until I had seven lands. Any thoughts on that?

traveler

Not Wario
had toij ing an innistrad draft right before a migraine kicked in. Guess this is an auto concede now that I can't even read my casrds. :/

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Is it worth picking up copies of him for the long term?

I wouldn't. He's not seeing any Modern play. Meaning his price is wholly Standard driven. If you want to play him in Standard, grab him. Otherwise, pass. Especially considering his mana cost, there is a very real possibility his spot will be taken in Standard when Oath hits. He may - and this is the iffy part for me - be at his highest price right now. Of course, Jeskai could get more supporting tools at lower CMCs, making him more valuable in Standard. If that happens and Oath doesn't spread the love, he could go up even higher.

So, depends on what you view as long term. Any purchase of him now is most definitely a gamble though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm struggling to think of a card that would just be generically better than Gideon that they would be willing to print.

The closest comparison is probably, what, Elspeth? And they're not printing that again lol. Gideon is gonna be a staple the entire time he is legal.

kirblar

Who's saying that? We're living in a 4 color deck standard environment. Mana isn't an issue for anything right now.
The comment earlier about him being played in "virtually every deck" cause the mana's so good.

What I'm saying is that post-rotation, the mana's still good enough to make him good in a shit-ton of deck archetypes. (U/W control, G/W megamorph, Ojutai/Jace nonsense, etc.)

WanderingWind

The comment earlier about him being played in "virtually every deck" cause the mana's so good.

What I'm saying is that post-rotation, the mana's still good enough to make him good in a shit-ton of deck archetypes. (U/W control, G/W megamorph, Ojutai/Jace nonsense, etc.)

Oh, yeah. The manabases are ridiculous. Fetches remain valuable, but post rotation the mana is still going to be fine. It's not as if the fairy tale set won't have it's own dual manas. No deck right now is stretching to fit anything - unless you're a TWoo - it's just a fit.

Gideon really is a great toolbox.

Haines

Banned
First draft at the store near where I live, went pretty good. Ended up drafting a W/U Ally deck with Felidar Sovereign and Lantern Captain. The Lifelink really came in handy and allowed me to tie for 1st (technically second, but only played unbeaten opponents, first in the last match played the person I beat second) Flyers really took the night, along with Stasis Snare.

Was told a couple times that I should have been using awaken more, but really didn't want to drop below 6 open mana so didn't use it until I had seven lands. Any thoughts on that?

You can tap that creature/land still on the next turns. Because its still a land. As long as you arent an idiot like me and lose your only blue on combat and mana screw yourself lol

noquarter

You can tap that creature/land still on the next turns. Because its still a land. As long as you arent an idiot like me and lose your only blue on combat and mana screw yourself lol
Yeah, I know I can tap it, but creature removal is more prevalent than basic land removal is what I was playing around. At six I don't mind playing it on a non basic I have, since that seems as easy to get rid of as creatures, but really like making sure I can get my bombs out.

Though I guess neither player was really playing much removal, just the 7 CMC exile card.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The mana would be good enough to play Gideon regardless of what's legal. He's too generically good at the CMC price point.

(Also, Gideon does see Modern play in BW Tokens, but I personally don't run him, I don't like leaning on Anthem effects so hard and Tokens is a pretty fringe deck)

Wulfric

Oh, this is exciting. Can we go to Kaladesh, Wizards? They seem to have the world already fleshed out. I feel like Chandra needs some love now that Gideon and Nissa have gotten their own set spotlight.

Commander spoilers start Monday, right? I wonder what's been taking them so long.

Oh, this is exciting. Can we go to Kaladesh, Wizards? They seem to have the world already fleshed out. I feel like Chandra needs some love now that Gideon and Nissa have gotten their own set spotlight.

Commander spoilers start Monday, right? I wonder what's been taking them so long.

The next block will probably be about Liliana, since she's conspicuously absent from Oath of the Gatewatch, but the Fall 2016 block (Lock-Stock) has a good chance of being Kaladesh.

About spoilers, some people have complained that they'd prefer cards not to be revealed so long before set releases, so they're probably experimenting with later spoilers with deck releases. Since some stores are having trouble with preorders, they probably won't do this again.

Firemind

I want Kaladesh to happen just so Jaya Ballard can show up and teach The Human Torch who's boss at pyromancy. It'd be like mud wrestling.

traveler

Not Wario
What is the Mox tourney Buehler is referring to on the Indy stream? I want to see this standard BW tokens deck list Majors is playing.

Oh, this is exciting. Can we go to Kaladesh, Wizards? They seem to have the world already fleshed out.

They almost certainly have it so fleshed out because we're going to be visiting it within the next three blocks. :p

They're trying new stuff for all their set marketing this year; this one was seeing if they can hold back all the spoiling and promotion for a supplemental product until the week of release without a negative impact. I suspect the answer will be a resounding "no."

Since some stores are having trouble with preorders, they probably won't do this again.

Do you have a link on people reporting that? I would expect this to be true but I haven't seen anyone talking about it explicitly.

Do you have a link on people reporting that? I would expect this to be true but I haven't seen anyone talking about it explicitly.

Just repeating what was stated earlier in the thread, so I don't have a source.

EDIT: I believe I just got that impression from this post:
This particularly sucks because LGS's mostly order this kind of product based on demand. No spoilers = no pre-orders, must mean no demand so the LGS only orders a couple sets or none at all..

WanderingWind

RE: Gideon in modern.

aJg3zY2.png

WanderingWind

Not sure what is confusing. Those are all token decks across all formats. Gideon is not played in Modern and it's not just because tokens isn't played. Now, to head off the obvious, I'm sure somebody, somewhere in the world is slotting Gideon into a tokens decks, but at that level of parsing, we might as well call Prism Array "played in modern." Because you know some jobber is cramming it.

Angry Grimace

Not sure what is confusing. Those are all token decks across all formats. Gideon is not played in Modern and it's not just because tokens isn't played. Now, to head off the obvious, I'm sure somebody, somewhere in the world is slotting Gideon into a tokens decks, but at that level of parsing, we might as well call Prism Array "played in modern." Because you know some jobber is cramming it.
The site you're using has literally one result from a tokens deck in modern past when BFZ came out. You should probably temper your level of certainty.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=93682

WanderingWind

The site you're using has literally one result from a tokens deck in modern past when BFZ came out. You should probably temper your level of certainty.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=93682

Let's go ahead and head this off at the pass.
Every modern deck from SCG featuring Gideon: http://goo.gl/YGUU9c
Four players in the entire world used it. This doesn't meet any criteria of "playable in modern" besides the strictly literal and that definition has no bearing on whether or not he's a good pickup for outside of Standard play.

WanderingWind

Wasn't even trying to argue. Somebody asked if they should pick up Gideon for the long haul. Evidence says no. I was interested to see if Gideon actually was played in BW Tokens, as I think it's a deck that is about 1-2 cards from being a legit deck in Modern. Sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Angry Grimace

Wasn't even trying to argue. Somebody asked if they should pick up Gideon for the long haul. Evidence says no. I was interested to see if Gideon actually was played in BW Tokens, as I think it's a deck that is about 1-2 cards from being a legit deck in Modern. Sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case.
Tokens biggest problem is that it almost literally can't beat Tron.

I have yet to find a perfect fit out of the board. The best I've got so far is Fulminator Mage and Stony Silence but it hasn't been good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom