• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.ZZZ

I got banned from the magic channel because i asked if we could get a hot host for some Manservice
BabyRage.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People not figuring out the interaction between Deceiver Exarch/Splinter Twin and Auriok Champion is pretty funny.

ultron87

I hope it isn't Return to Innistrad already.

Anyway, Narset Transcendent is surprisingly good against creature-light decks.

As for that article, the most important part,
Any attempt on the part of the winner to console or congratulate the loser for a game well played should be seen as deplorable bullying[29]. The loser prepared, practiced, and perfected their gameplay only to lose to luck, chance, and the tiny bit of skill their opponent brought to the table. If the winner says anything at all during this extremely sensitive time then the loser is obligated to salt-off. It is their only recourse after having been brutally insulted and offended by the winner[30]. The winner is socially obliged to treat the loser with kid gloves since the most savagely traumatic event of their life just took place: a loss at a children’s card game[31]. The type of winner who would initiate contact post-match is the same type of person who would kick a dog or throw away their grandpa’s ashes to make room on the mantle for a big-screen TV[32]. Remember: you are 100% responsible for your opponent’s emotional reaction to losing. It is your job to try and keep them from getting salty about their loss. Your opponent being a poor sport is not a reflection on them[33], but a reflection of you.

Jhriad

He's 2WW. The idea that decks are "stretching" their manabases to play him is hilarious.

They're not stretching to play him, they're stretching for extra colors and the "good stuff" that allows you to play. The fact that you can stretch Mardu, Jeskai, and Abzan all into a fourth or fifth color means he's playable in every deck in the format. Unless Mono-White or BW tokens become the dominant deck(s) in the format he's already seeing the broadest use he's ever going to see now and he only has one direction to go as far as usage goes. Gideon isn't likely to see the highs that JVP has seen for a variety of reasons.

bigkrev

God, I get angry when I watch people play affinity sometimes

On the SCG Stream, some guy kept a hand of Mox, Jar, Memnite, Vault Skirge, Negate, and 2 lands on the draw in the mirror. He got bailed out by drawing Ancient Gurdge like 3 turns later, but it infuriates me to see someone have such a terrible keep

Shadows Over Innistrad announced. Rather surprised if Liliana appears in that block, since I was sure that she was going off to fight her next demon, and she already killed Griselbrand.

Maybe Sorin's story is receiving development first. I guess this does mean that Avacyn is Nahiri, if that's the case.

Crocodile

Return to Innistrad!!! May 2016

Shadows Over Innistrad

Yeah just saw that on stream. Feels way too soon IMO. Also a return after a return feels weird. Battle for Zendikar as a limited format pales in comparison to Rise of the Eldrazi. I'm expecting them to similarly drop the ball for Shadows over Innistrad limited as well :(

traveler

Not Wario
They have plenty of planes they clearly have ideas for. The more european fairy tale esque take (although a return to innistrad could touch on this) Shandalar, Kaladesh, the Viking plane we've seen in other cards, the arabian plane- I think they honestly believe (and I guess the surveys might back this up) that players want these returns.

Innistrad is maybe my favorite set of all time, but I'm disappointed by this announcement. Whenever they revisit planes, they seem to try to recapture the same mechanical bent they had originally, and it hasn't worked out yet once.

Crocodile

Snapcaster and Liliana of the Viel legit do need to be reprinted badly though. I just assume WOTC doesn't want to put them through standard again but next summer is too soon for MM3. I wonder what they are going to do about that.

Innistrad is maybe my favorite set of all time, but I'm disappointed by this announcement. Whenever they revisit planes, they seem to try to recapture the same mechanical bent they had originally, and it hasn't worked out yet once.

I consider Scars of Mirrodin block to be MUCH better than the original Mirrodin block. So they can do it right - it just seems they've whiffed more than they've hit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The chance of them reprinting Liliana of the Veil is like 0 I imagine given Maro explicitly saying as much.

traveler

Not Wario
Snapcaster and Liliana of the Viel legit do need to be reprinted badly though. I just assume WOTC doesn't want to put them through standard again but next summer is too soon for MM3. I wonder what they are going to do about that.

I consider Scars of Mirrodin block to be MUCH better than the original Mirrodin block. So they can do it right - it just seems they've whiffed more than they've hit.

I would consider that more a testament to how broke the original Mirrodin was that a success on the part of Scars :p

It's probably the best return block, though; that much is true.

bigkrev

The chance of them reprinting Liliana of the Veil is like 0 I imagine given Maro explicitly saying as much.

I'd be surprised if she wasn't included. They were going to put her in M15, but realized that having Thoughtsieze and Lili legal simultaneously was real dumb.

I'd be shocked to see Snapcaster though. It just got a promo and is clearly too strong for Standard.

Mirrodin was the block I really got invested into magic so it'll always have a special place for me so it's always gonna have a special place in my heart.

Scars not so much, especially since the lore was so unresolved compared to the original. And no Bruenna a 2nd time.

kirblar

I'd be surprised if she wasn't included. They were going to put her in M15, but realized that having Thoughtsieze and Lili legal simultaneously was real dumb.

I'd be shocked to see Snapcaster though. It just got a promo and is clearly too strong for Standard.
There's a chance. They think she's too good, but she badly needs a reprint. And Jace is clearly even stupider than she ever would be.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Scars was better than Mirrodin

RTR was better than the worst parts of Ravnica but worse than the best parts of Ravnica so I consider it a wash

BFZ seems worse then Zendikar

That's not the worst track record, but it is a worrying trend

Angry Grimace

There isn't even a good reason for Liliana to be on Innistrad

Wouldn't having both Jace and Liliana of the Veil be doubly dumb, though?

Not really. There's synergy, but hardly what I would imagine is a busted one.

The chance of them just doing a reprint for the face planeswalker doesn't seem terribly high to me though.

I think they honestly believe (and I guess the surveys might back this up) that players want these returns.

Players do want them. WotC know they need to keep sales up as much as possible to keep Hasbro off their backs and a familiar and popular setting, like a popular theme, is a good way to do that.

I'm not particularly concerned about two returns on a row, they have plenty of possibilities for original blocks and it's been obvious since SoM that they were going to aim for a 50/50 split between new and old planes. In order for that to work with things like two originals in a row (Theros --> Tarkir) there needs to also be times with two consecutive returns.

The thing that does seem weird to me is how this fits with the seven year plan. When Rosewater pitched it, it had Innistrad as the first year; this block would be the sixth. INN was supposed to be a risky and experimental block so there's no way it had a planned sequel in the same plan.

Ashodin

I'm so excited, I'm gonna look over all the Innistrad cards and prep myself on the lore

and

and and

ahghkagioetiheihnkldgldgilsh

IM EXCITED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom