• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

The first is from Portal: Three Kingdoms (reprinted in Eight Edition at uncommon) and the second is from Portal 2. I guess they wanted Ancient Craving in Portal: Three Kingdoms but the name didn't make sense there.

There were lots of functional reprints back in the day. I more mean why are they both included in this Commander printing?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You've let me down, SigmaSonicX!

Where's your weekly summary of the Uncharted Realms story?

* Teysa is still scheming to overthrow the Obzedat and really hates them. She's related to most of them and finds them mostly gross.
* Teysa (flashback) goes to Jace and has him affirm a bunch of minor laws to affirm that his powers as a lawmage work.
* She has her buddy Tajic, the Boros Maze Runner, take her to the Orzhov Basilica disguised as a prisoner. They break into the a secret sanctum.
* She reveals that due to the way lawmagic works, if she can prove that the Obzedat were engaged in financial foul play she can have them removed.
* She has Tajic, as a member of another guild, try to take the ledger that proves they were involved in misdeeds to report it to Jace (which will get the guild leaders taken out, apparently). Instead, she finds out that the room is shielded from law magic and the Obzedat arrive and strip her position as Magic Lawyer.
* Both she and Tajic end up imprisoned.

Basically Teysa gets owned.

Ashodin

shielded from law magic? what does that mean?

edit: I read it;
"The Guildpact does not apply in this room! Something about this place directly manipulates Ravnican law."
Very interesting. the fact that the Orzhov have a place that can warp the law should be something the Azorius would want to know about.

Also Teysa, Magic Lawyer sounds like an ABC show.

Ultimately, if wizards are concerned about standard being 'solved' then the onus is on them to make a better standard.

There's obviously always more WotC can do to make environments skill-intensive and fun, but I'm not sure it's actually possible for them to bring the solve-time on a new environment up that much. They're fundamentally limited to what 20-ish people can do in terms of building decks and solving their own environment; there's a pretty strong limit on how much they can actually do to make the environments consistently more diverse.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What the fuck? That was MTGGoldfish's biggest draw. It's completely unreasonable for WoTC to ask them to stop publishing it, this will kill their site.

They should keep publishing it under a different name . Screw Wizards, they can't bully fansites like that.
It's actually a pretty new feature. They've only done the analysis like twice.

I've been playing Jeskai Black without Mantis Riders Todd Anderson-style a bit and it's not that bad. You can play a bit more of the controlling game I like and it's easier to play at instant speed. Still needs more testing, of course.

Angry Grimace

$1000 Standard deck

vBAu1ed.jpg

(no counterspell Esper Dragons? Doesn't seem great, but IDK)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm just stoked that Secure the Wastes finally started seeing play. I've been cramming that into every brew since launch. Definitely my favorite pet project of the set.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185184671]It's Mythic Conscription for poor people.

I wonder if Delver's gonna get reprinted in SOI.[/QUOTE]

There's like 3 reprints from Zendikar block in Battle for Zendikar that aren't Evolving Wilds or Goblin War Paint or something (which have been printed a ton in the interim).

I tend to doubt it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185184671]It's Mythic Conscription for poor people.

I wonder if Delver's gonna get reprinted in SOI.[/QUOTE]

As long as there aren't any great scry draw spells, Delver of Secrets wouldn't be a big issue in Standard, right? It'd be powerful, but as long as it can't consistently transform by turn three, it shouldn't be too bad. I could see them reprinting it at uncommon.

Blood Artist, Thalia, and Craterhoof are my bets for most likely to be reprinted. There's like 0% chance Delver gets reprinted. They gotta save him for Modern Masters 2016.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185188991]Why? They don't really have to consider reprint equity on recent commons and are there even going to be DFCs in MM3?[/QUOTE]

Because he's still a heavily played card in Modern, and still sought out. He'll make people feel better when they open the MM16 equivalent of Comet Storm in their packs, and Maro has hinted they might be doing flip cards more often in the future. Considering SOI is already designed and the slots are set, I'd imagine the future he is hinting at is a set that allows them to charge more than standard pack prices so they can offset the cost of reprinting flip cards.

OnPoint

I don't really feel like they need to save Delver for MM3 but he's not required for SoI either. Reprinting it probably makes the most sense in MM3 as it likely won't even be good in Standard. Anticipate is not Ponder.

What other DFC would they want in MM3 though? Jace VP is one, but will maybe still be too new by MM3. Maybe Bloodline Keeper. They could do Garruk from INN but he's not high value. Huntmaster? There's not a lot of highly sought after DFCs.

Angry Grimace

I don't really feel like they need to save Delver for MM3 but he's not required for SoI either. Reprinting it probably makes the most sense in MM3 as it likely won't even be good in Standard. Anticipate is not Ponder.

What other DFC would they want in MM3 though? Jace VP is one, but will maybe still be too new by MM3. Maybe Bloodline Keeper. They could do Garruk from INN but he's not high value. Huntmaster? There's not a lot of highly sought after DFCs.
I wouldn't be surprised if they included them solely because they're fun and add something neat to the limited environment while giving them an opportunity to put a few extra cards in there. Huntmaster of the Fells is pretty much the only even vaguely valuable DFC from that block right? I mean, I guess Garruk Relentless, but that's mostly casual value, I imagine.

Because he's still a heavily played card in Modern, and still sought out. He'll make people feel better when they open the MM16 equivalent of Comet Storm in their packs, and Maro has hinted they might be doing flip cards more often in the future. Considering SOI is already designed and the slots are set, I'd imagine the future he is hinting at is a set that allows them to charge more than standard pack prices so they can offset the cost of reprinting flip cards.

Delver of Secrets is seeing less play in Modern right now than than Thragtusk is; its not even in the top 50 creatures in the format and any deck that wants Delver probably wants 4 of them to boot. Plus Delver of Secrets costs like $1. It's not exactly Serum Visions here.

Huntmaster and Flip Garruk are likely candidates. They design MM sets as draft formats first and foremost. Those sets sets aren't just a selective lists of valuable cards they feel need to be reprinted. Did Lightning Bolt need to be reprinted in MM2?

I'm just speculating, that original Innistrad block standouts will see reprints in MM3 rather than SOI. Flip cards could likely be a theme in the next MM set as well.

OnPoint

I wouldn't be surprised if they included them solely because they're fun and add something neat to the limited environment while giving them an opportunity to put a few extra cards in there. Huntmaster of the Fells is pretty much the only even vaguely valuable DFC from that block right? I mean, I guess Garruk Relentless, but that's mostly casual value, I imagine.

Delver of Secrets is seeing less play in Modern right now than than Thragtusk is; its not even in the top 50 creatures in the format and any deck that wants Delver probably wants 4 of them to boot. Plus Delver of Secrets costs like $1. It's not exactly Serum Visions here.

I'd just be shocked if they printed only one DFC. I feel like they'd want to do whatever they did in Origins and print five. So Delver, Garruk, Huntmaster, Jace VP and (my personal favorite) Loyal Cathar!

Angry Grimace

I'd just be shocked if they printed only one DFC. I feel like they'd want to do whatever they did in Origins and print five. So Delver, Garruk, Huntmaster, Jace VP and (my personal favorite) Loyal Cathar!
I wouldn't imagine they would, but they'd need an actual reason to print them, e.g. Werewolves as an archetype in MM3.

As for Delver, it's at least an interesting and potentially very powerful card though (and has proven itself to be powerful in Modern). It wouldn't kill them to reprint it and see what happens. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see Delver and Young Pyro both in MM3 as part of an "instant/sorcery" UR archetype, despite the fact it seems like it would be hard to pull off in draft.

I have no clue what the mythics in a theoretical MM3 would be: Outside of Tarmogoyf and possibly Mox Opal I'd say they could get away with completely new Mythics (obviously Liliana of the Veil is pretty much mandatory).

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185192075]I mean, my foil delver is worth like 12 bucks and that's a vintage-playable card. Dude is not high on the reprint-excitement scale.[/QUOTE]

I have a full foil set. I was hoping they'd be higher than 12 a pop by now lol

Angry Grimace

As for that $1000 standard deck, I have all of the cards in that deck. I could just sell the entire decklist, get out of Standard and buy freakin' Modern Jund (I have a lot of the cards for it already). o_O

As for that $1000 standard deck, I have all of the cards in that deck. I could just sell the entire decklist, get out of Standard and buy freakin' Modern Jund (I have a lot of the cards for it already). o_O

Do it. At least Modern isn't a dead format like Legacy, and if you're not going to compete in real Standard tournaments there isn't a lot of value in holding onto these cards. I've been trying to trade off my few remaining Legacy-only cards towards Modern myself.

Other than the Shocklands, I don't think they've ever reprinted a staple card from one setting's block in the block that revisits the same setting.

We didn't get Arcbound Ravager in Scwrs of Mirrodin, we didn't get Lightning Helix in Return to Ravnica, and we didn't get Vampire Nighthawk in Battle for Zendikar. It seems highly unlikely that Delver of Secrets or Huntsmaster of the Fells will be in SoI.

OnPoint

Other than the Shocklands, I don't think they've ever reprinted a staple card from one setting's block in the block that revisits the same setting.

We didn't get Arcbound Ravager in Scwrs of Mirrodin, we didn't get Lightning Helix in Return to Ravnica, and we didn't get Vampire Nighthawk in Battle for Zendikar. It seems highly unlikely that Delver of Secrets or Huntsmaster of the Fells will be in SoI.

I don't think we'll see Huntmaster. I think we'll see a RG legendary flip werewolf for Commander purposes.

Angry Grimace

That's because Modular wasn't coming back, and also because Arcbound Ravager was already on the cusp of being bannable. Helix was scheduled for reprint in Dragon's Maze to the point that art was commissioned for it, but then the FFL tried Helix in a deck with Snapcaster Mage and said "fuck this shit," so they invented Warleader's Helix as a tribute card that could use the same art. Nighthawk is just too good for how rare it is and occupies an identical space as Drana does.

OnPoint

It'll be a flipwalker. Solves a bunch of problems for them.

You think it'll be Creature ---> Planeswalker like in Origins? Or Planeswalker -----> Planeswalker? I think the former is the more likely scenario.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185194973]I wonder if Garruk will get a flipwalker where he gets the curse removed.[/QUOTE]

This would be awesome. But I don't know if they're ever going to "cure" him.

Angry Grimace

I was trying to imagine who would show up in Shadows Over Innistrad block but every single Planeswalker who makes sense to be there is black.

I still think Tibalt will show up as RB (his character seems super Rakdos) and I'm pretty confidant he comes back. But the other walkers who make sense to show up are Garruk and Sorin, who both have to be Black for story purposes.

OnPoint

I was trying to imagine who would show up in Shadows Over Innistrad block but every single Planeswalker who makes sense to be there is black.

I still think Tibalt will show up as RB (his character seems super Rakdos) and I'm pretty confidant he comes back. But the other walkers who make sense to show up are Garruk and Sorin, who both have to be Black for story purposes.

Maro does keep saying Tibalt is RB in Tibalt responses. I'd be shocked if he weren't.

So we're looking at in possible appearances for cards:

Tibalt - RB
Jace - Blue
Lilanna - Black
Werewolf - RG
Sorin - BW
Nahiri - W
Garruk - GB
Tamiyo - Blue

Such an odd skew colorwise. They'll have room for 5 right? I wonder how they'll do this.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185193131]Do it. At least Modern isn't a dead format like Legacy, and if you're not going to compete in real Standard tournaments there isn't a lot of value in holding onto these cards. I've been trying to trade off my few remaining Legacy-only cards towards Modern myself.[/QUOTE]
But you can't play Brainstorm in Modern.

And there are still yearly legacy tournaments with duals in the prize pot. Fuck SCG.

kirblar

But you can't play Brainstorm in Modern.

And there are still yearly legacy tournaments with duals in the prize pot. Fuck SCG.
It was the right move given that they moved to 2-day tournaments.

Whether 2-day tournaments were actually a good idea? That appears to be the real question.

Invitationals getting out of Legacy completely was necessary regardless, though. The barrier to entry issues were too severe.

Angry Grimace

Maro does keep saying Tibalt is RB in Tibalt responses. I'd be shocked if he weren't.

Tibalt - RB
Jace - Blue
Lilanna - Black
Werewolf - RG
Sorin - BW
Nahiri - W
Garruk - GB
Tamiyo - Blue

Such an odd skew colorwise. They'll have room for 5 right? I wonder how they'll do this.

I think they like the idea of having a Planeswalker in the lore for each color pair. At least that's what I gathered based on Maro's comments on Narset; where he said that they needed a W/U replacement for Venser.

Oddly enough, there isn't a W/R or a W/G Planeswalker. It's actually just both Ajani, who is mostly mono-white. I would love them to reprint Ajani Vengeant though.

Tibalt - RB
Jace - Blue
Lilanna - Black
Werewolf - RG
Sorin - BW
Nahiri - W
Garruk - GB
Tamiyo - Blue

Jace - Blue(/red? He seems super melodramatic in the BFZ stories)
Lilanna - Black
Sorin - BW
Nahiri - W(/x?)
Garruk - B, flips to G

These are probably the most important story characters right now. But that leaves so little room for the Innistrad-local stories like Tibalt.

OnPoint

I think they like the idea of having a Planeswalker in the lore for each color pair. At least that's what I gathered based on Maro's comments on Narset; where he said that they needed a W/U replacement for Venser.

Oddly enough, there isn't a W/R or a W/G Planeswalker. It's actually just both Ajani, who is mostly mono-white. I would love them to reprint Ajani Vengeant though.

You make a solid point about there not being an individual in WR (I think Ajani will be GW from now on, as Gideon has taken up the White mantle).

Looking at the list, we have:

UW - Narset
WG - Ajani
GR - Domri (or future werewolf)
RB - Open (but likely Tibalt and future Obs)
BU - Ashiok
UG - Kiora
GB - Garruk
BW - Sorin
WR - Open (new character?)
RU - Ral Zarek​

I feel like WR is in need of a new character for sure.

Edit:
Let's get Dack Fayden in here to steal Standard, and the multiverse's, heart.

I was thinking about this the other day, and about how much sense he'd make on Kaladesh. Now that it appears that Kaladesh will be taking over as "the artifact plane" with New Phyrexia doing its thing, a cool story could be him coming in to steal something from someone and dealing with/running from the law.

Speaking of story, despite Khans block being one of the best blocks of all time by any measurement(limited, constructed, storytelling, art), the actual story impact was comically small.

• Sorin finds Ugin on Dragon Planet and wakes him up without obstacle.
  • Ugin leaves for Zendikar.
  • Sorin leaves for Innistrad.
That's basically the entire story.

In the background, a crazy homeless man flirts with an autistic woman.

Let's get Dack Fayden in here to steal Standard, and the multiverse's, heart.

Theros 2: Money Never Sleeps

Angry Grimace

You make a solid point about there not being an individual in WR (I think Ajani will be GW from now on, as Gideon has taken up the White mantle).

Looking at the list, we have:

UW - Narset
WG - Ajani
GR - Domri (or future werewolf)
RB - Open (but likely Tibalt and future Obs)
BU - Ashiok
UG - Kiora
GB - Garruk
BW - Sorin
WR - Open (new character?)
RU - Ral Zarek​

I feel like WR is in need of a new character for sure.
They seem okay with multiples so long as the ability sets are in color and don't overlap, e.g. Garruk and Vraska, where her abilities are way more black than his, which are more Green.

GR still has Sarkhan. I guess Sarkhan could be RB again too, but he seems completely wrong in that pair tbh.

WR - Gideon should be there, or Chandra, they both actually fit, but Chandra is never going away from mono-red. I'd expect Gideon before Chandra.

RU - Dack Fayden, Greatest Thief in the Multiverse

OnPoint

GR still has Sarkhan. I guess Sarkhan could be RB again too, but he seems completely wrong in that pair tbh.

Pretty sure Sarkhan is done for a while. I bet they bring him back when they fight and/or take out Bolas finally. I do agree he is more RG than anything else. The blue makes zero sense.

RB is going to be Tibalt and Ob. I thought I recall Maro saying they failed by not making Ob Nixilis RB in BFZ, and he has said a few times Tibalt is RB.

I forgot to put Tezzeret in UB.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";185193131]Do it. At least Modern isn't a dead format like Legacy, and if you're not going to compete in real Standard tournaments there isn't a lot of value in holding onto these cards. I've been trying to trade off my few remaining Legacy-only cards towards Modern myself.[/QUOTE]

I already own Splinter Twin completed and BW Tokens. It seems like it would be excessive to get another deck haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom