• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The deck was hilarious to watch but most be gruesome to play against.

What do you do against such a deck when your entire deck is build around attacking and interacting with nonlands?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Long shot, but anybody up for a basic full art land swap? Not like, mountain for swamp exactly, but more like I give you all of Swamp art X and you give me all of Swamp art Y. The particular art doesn't matter, but I'd like to get as much of any one art as possible for my competitive decks. Figure maybe one of you likes consistency as much as me.

An example: I give you 10 bowl islands, you give me 10 of the shore line islands that don't even look like islands.

ElyrionX

Long shot, but anybody up for a basic full art land swap? Not like, mountain for swamp exactly, but more like I give you all of Swamp art X and you give me all of Swamp art Y. The particular art doesn't matter, but I'd like to get as much of any one art as possible for my competitive decks. Figure maybe one of you likes consistency as much as me.

An example: I give you 10 bowl islands, you give me 10 of the shore line islands that don't even look like islands.

None of the islands actually look like islands. They look like mountains instead which is ridiculous. In fact, probably 50-70% of all islands ever printed don't look like islands.

OnPoint

I'm still high on Aluren hitting Top 8 last night at the GP. Man I love Aluren.

I was thinking about what might be cool to see in SoI while in the shower today, because what else do you think about in the shower. I kind of hope we see something like this:

Nightshade Peddlemaster(B)(B)

Creature - Human Wizard

Deathtouch
Instant and sorcery spells you control
have Deathtouch.

(B)(B): Target creature you control gains
Deathtouch.

3/2​

Now, I don't know how you could really pull off a full cycle of Grandmaster-style cards, and I don't know if you should. But I really like the idea of the other side of the Soulfire coin on this one, and a call back to Nightshade Peddler also feels nice. I also really like the idea of Radiant Flames becoming a boardwipe.

OnPoint

What creature keyword abilities are left that care about damage dealt no matter the stage though?

Wither and Infect I guess.

This is why I don't think they should. Infect would be a HUGE mistake.

But in the interest of what else could apply, um... can you apply Hexproof to spells? I'm not sure. You could do a blue one that says "Instant and Sorcery spells you control have Scry 1", a green one that says ""Instant and Sorcery spells you control have Buyback (3)", a red one that says "Instant and Sorcery spells you control have Cascade" (lol)

Those all seem pretty horrible though. That's why I like the Life/Death duality of my original suggestion, and no full cycle.

I want there to be a card that does this:

Reach of the Flame (1RR)
Sorcery
Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to another target creature or player. This damage is considered combat damage.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Reach of the Flame (1RR)
Sorcery
Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to another target creature or player. This damage is considered combat damage.

It's rule breaking in that it probably breaks way too many other card interactions.

Whether its actually a rule that can be broken by just specifying as such on a card, I don't actually know.

OnPoint

Reach of the Flame (1RR)
Sorcery

Hm. I don't know the exact ins and outs, but I don't know if you can have combat damage outside of the combat phase. Anyone else know better?

Could it maybe be worded like this?

Reach of the Flame (1RR)
Instant
Can only be cast during combat.

Hm. I don't know the exact ins and outs, but I don't know if you can have combat damage outside of the combat phase. Anyone else know better?

Could it maybe be worded like this?

Reach of the Flame (1RR)
Instant
Can only be cast during combat.

It would be really powerful in Commander.

It's Magic Online week on the Mothership, so none of the usual articles are being posted and they're all about Magic Online, so mornings are now less interesting.

Still, of note in this article is that Tempest Remastered didn't do very well, so they won't be doing remastered sets anymore.

bigkrev

It's Magic Online week on the Mothership, so none of the usual articles are being posted and they're all about Magic Online, so mornings are now less interesting.

Still, of note in this article is that Tempest Remastered didn't do very well, so they won't be doing remastered sets anymore.

I loved Tempest remastered, but they fucked up by making Wasteland a rare instead of an Uncommon. There was basically nothing of value in the set outside of it, and it wasn't worth it to most people to play the set :(

of note in this article is that Tempest Remastered didn't do very well, so they won't be doing remastered sets anymore.

That might have something to do with the fact that Tempest block is ass. Tempest Remastered was like polishing a turd.

(Yes, there are worse sets. Still, Tempest is bad.)

*shrug* Why can't you?

It would be really powerful in Commander.

Lots of cards are overpowered in Commander.

OnPoint

*shrug* Why can't you?

I don't know man. We'd need someone with an understanding of the rules to come by and explain why you could or couldn't. My gut says you can only give, receive, or assign combat damage during the assign damage step and that it fundamentally wouldn't work in any other way. But I could be wrong and would be curious to hear an explanation.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Tempest Remastered sucked because Tempest block wasn't great and the only reason to spend tix on the set was Wasteland, which was a single rare in a set with a bunch of rares. It's really no skin off my back that they're not bringing it back because the only set where it was even vaguely relevant to do it was....Tempest block. Because of Wasteland.

ultron87

I suppose if you have 12 packs between the two of you you might be able to cobble together two semi-synergy based decks instead of the big ole pile of nonsense you get from BFZ sealed.

OnPoint

Oath is gonna be 2HG?

On one hand, I'm glad they're trying something new.

On the other... this does not seem like it's going to go over well.

Yeef

I suppose if you have 12 packs between the two of you you might be able to cobble together two semi-synergy based decks instead of the big ole pile of nonsense you get from BFZ sealed.
BFZ will only be 1/3 of the pool, so that's not really much of an issue until we know what's in Oath.

[EDIT] TO be clear; Pre-releases aren't required to be 2HG, but the set is designed to play well in 2HG. There's probably some mechanic that gets better if you have a partner or something.

ultron87

BFZ will only be 1/3 of the pool, so that's not really much of an issue until we know what's in Oath.

I'm assuming Oath has to still support at least some of those archetypes. Otherwise the the BFZ pack that is part of Oath drafts will be real bad.

Jhriad

Sealed pack includes 4x Oath and 2x BFZ packs. I expected BFZ to be in there but I was hoping it'd be a one-of like Fate was for the DTK prerelease. The value of those BFZ cards is going to be even shittier by then so this might mean that my strategy of signing up for all the prereleases and Pucatrading everything out for additional value might not be as big a net gain as usual. Guess I'll wait and see what the rest of the prerelease packaging holds. Hopefully they do the same 'any Rare/Mythic' promo thing from BFZ here since that might tip the scales if there's enough desirable cards in the set.

Spectral Searchlight-type cards to feed Converge between two players confirmed.

spectralsearchlightuspxh.jpg

Hackworth

The last time I drafted 2HG I and my friend got bodied hard*. Really wondering how Oath is gonna help with the incompetence of the average semi-casual, because drafting is hard enough at the best of times.

*To be fair to us, round one was against a pair of pro tour qualifiers and round two was against the fifth best player in the store and his 6 year old who he was using as an excuse to enter 2HG as a one headed dragon so whatever.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm still high on Aluren hitting Top 8 last night at the GP. Man I love Aluren.

I was thinking about what might be cool to see in SoI while in the shower today, because what else do you think about in the shower. I kind of hope we see something like this:

Nightshade Peddlemaster(B)(B)

Creature - Human Wizard

Deathtouch
Instant and sorcery spells you control
have Deathtouch.

(B)(B): Target creature you control gains
Deathtouch.

3/2​

Now, I don't know how you could really pull off a full cycle of Grandmaster-style cards, and I don't know if you should. But I really like the idea of the other side of the Soulfire coin on this one, and a call back to Nightshade Peddler also feels nice. I also really like the idea of Radiant Flames becoming a boardwipe.
Pretty late, but Id run b/r/w with soulfires, this guy, and 4x wild slash, 4x fiery impulse, and 4x boiling earth. Kill everything. Shitty damage spells become amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom