• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monastery Mentor makes me laugh because its one of the most obviously powerful cards to be kind of shitty in its own standard, and there are a ton of cards that were shitty in Standard and great in eternal formats.

It's a shame it is banned in Modern.
Jund is life

Deathrite%20Shaman.full.jpg

duxstar

With the Oath stuff ....... does this mean its almost 100% guaranteed we get "team walkers" instead of just 1 in the next set like was rumored ?

To clarify so

Jace and Gideon
Chandra and Nissa

all on the same card with different + and - being flavorful for the different walkers with the ultimate being a mix of the 2

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
With the Oath stuff ....... does this mean its almost 100% guaranteed we get "team walkers" instead of just 1 in the next set like was rumored ?

To clarify so

Jace and Gideon
Chandra and Nissa

all on the same card with different + and - being flavorful for the different walkers with the ultimate being a mix of the 2
The team thing doesn't make sense because PW cards have types.

It's just Nissa and Chandra. Jace is in Shadows over Innistrad. There's already PW card art for Nissa even.

Ashodin

I told my fiancee about the 2HG thing and she actually perked up and said "yeah I'd do that" and she NEVER wants to go play magic in public!

The team thing doesn't make sense because PW cards have types.

Sure it does, people have been suggesting this idea for ages. It's pretty easy to do, honestly:

Jace and Chandra K-I-S-S-I-N-G 3RU
Planeswalker -- Jace Chandra
+1: Draw a card.
-2: Deal 3 damage to target creature.
-8: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of each turn, exile the top card of your library. You may play it without paying its mana cost if it's an instant or sorcery. Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may copy it and choose new targets for the copy."

Loyalty 3

I just realized. The technique they're going to use this time to make Chandra's card in Oath suck in Constructed will be to make it only good in Two Headed Giant.

Chandra the Helper - 3RR
Planeswalker - Chandra
+2: Chandra deals 2 damage to target player and 4 damage to another target player.
+0: You and your teammates each exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, each player may play cards he or she exiled this way.
-7: You and your teammates each get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, deal 1 damage to each opponent."

Socat

I just realized. The technique they're going to use this time to make Chandra's card in Oath suck in Constructed will be to make it only good in Two Headed Giant.

Chandra the Helper - 3RR
Planeswalker - Chandra
+2: Chandra deals 2 damage to target player and 4 damage to another target player.
+0: You and your teammates each exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, each player may play cards he or she exiled this way.
-7: You and your teammates each get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, deal 1 damage to each opponent."

Wouldn't be oppoosed to the idea of something like this as a 2HG-only promo for the prerelease. Makes me wonder if WOTC will ever make a set specifically for the format. Would definitely be interesting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sure it does, people have been suggesting this idea for ages. It's pretty easy to do, honestly:

Jace and Chandra K-I-S-S-I-N-G 3RU
Planeswalker -- Jace Chandra
+1: Draw a card.
-2: Deal 3 damage to target creature.
-8: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of each turn, exile the top card of your library. You may play it without paying its mana cost if it's an instant or sorcery. Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may copy it and choose new targets for the copy."

Loyalty 3
OK fine I guess you could do it but it's completely random.

OnPoint

They need to finally make a good Chandra. Like, a pushed one.

Let's turn up the heat.

Se1PLFE.png

My reasoning: + 1 ability: Turn 3 Pyroclasm-style spell in standard is pretty standard. This is definitely board wipe plus, but again, I said I wanted her pushed. -3 ability: The whole false card draw needs a little punch here at -3, plus it works well with the ultimate. -6 ability: Should play well with both the -2 ability and with Ingest floating around. I'd also like to see what kind of nonsense people could do with it in eternal formats (something tells me it would be broken haha).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
A plus ability for a repeatable Pyroclasm is not a reasonable thing for 3 mana. That's insanely broken. Crazy broken. Like, instantly banned in all formats except Legacy broken.

You know it's a small set and Chandra deserves some love why not try and make her the 2nd JTMS

+2: Name deals 3 damage to up to one target creature or player.

0: Exile the top 3 cards of your library, you may play 1 of them until end of turn. Shuffle all cards exiled by this ability into your library at the beginning of the end step.

-3: Name deals 5 damage to all creatures without flying and each player.

-12: Put 8 6/1 Ball Lightning tokens onto the battlefield, they have trample haste and "At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Ball Lightning."

Santiako

Keeping the oath theme:

Chandra, Red Ranger 1RR

+1: Forked bolt
-1: Summon a 3/2 Red Zord token.
-3: Sacrifice 5 Zord tokens and summon a 10/10 indestructible Megazord token with haste and trample.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Yes, I don't know what they were thinking with a 1 mana planeswalker =P

I know this is a common refrain regarding DRS, but is this really a good planeswalker?

G/B

0, exile a land card from your graveyard: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
0, exile target sorcery or instant card from your graveyard: Each opponent loses two life.
0, exile target creature card from your graveyard: You gain two life.

2 Loyalty

I know this is a common refrain regarding DRS, but is this really a good planeswalker?

G/B

0, exile a land card from your graveyard: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
0, exile target sorcery or instant card from your graveyard: Each opponent loses two life.
0, exile target creature card from your graveyard: You gain two life.

2 Loyalty

It can't block in emergencies is legendary and gets haste and no mana expenses in exchange. Also it's no graveyard hate anymore so idk.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
On turn 4 you get to cast infinite lightning bolts. Seems pretty good, I guess.

OnPoint, I don't know the smilie face to show that I'm being jovial and not all "lol u suck." Just picture that smilie here. [ ] Card creation is legitimately hard. I want a good Chandra too.

OnPoint

Actually the mana cost of the card should be 4RR.

Would it still be playable at 4RR?

On turn 4 you get to cast infinite lightning bolts. Seems pretty good, I guess.

OnPoint, I don't know the smilie face to show that I'm being jovial and not all "lol u suck." Just picture that smilie here. [ ] Card creation is legitimately hard. I want a good Chandra too.

No worries! I didn't take it hard. Card creation is hard for sure. I just want Chandra to be good enough to see eternal play.

ultron87

Card creation yay!

I'd do pair PWers with 4 abilities, where the pluses are each one doing something separate and the minus and ultimate are them working together.

Nissa and Chandra, Zendikar Besties 4GR

Planeswalker - Chandra Nissa

+1 Untap up to 3 target lands you control.
+1 Chandra and Nissa deal 3 damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures or players.
-2 Reveal the top 3 cards of your library. You may put any lands revealed this way into play and exile the rest. You may play the exiled cards until the end of your next turn.
-10 Any number of lands you control become 4/4 Elemental creatures with "[tap] Deal 2 damage to target creature or player." They're still lands.

Firemind

Isn't OnPoint a professional game designer? ;)

I'd rather see a new Koth.

Koth, Geomancer 2RR
+1 Exile the top card of your library. If it's a land, you may put it into your graveyard and have Koth, Geomancer deal X damage to target creature, where X is the number of Mountains you control. If it's a nonland card, you may play it until end of turn.
-2 Destroy target land you control and target land you don't control.
-6 Return all lands from your graveyard to the battlefield. For each land returned this way, Koth, Geomancer deals 5 damage to target creature or player.

OnPoint

Isn't OnPoint a professional game designer? ;)

I'd rather see a new Koth.

Koth, Geomancer 2RR
+1 Exile the top card of your library. If it's a land, you may put it into your graveyard and have Koth, Geomancer deal X damage to target creature, where X is the number of Mountains you control. If it's a nonland card, you may play it until end of turn.
-2 Destroy target land you control and target land you don't control.
-6 Return all lands from your graveyard to the battlefield. For each land returned this way, Koth, Geomancer deals 5 damage to target creature or player.

:lol :lol :lol The first thing to learn about being a game designer is that you will get it wrong the first time, almost every time. Plus I can't help but make OP cards when dreaming. I mean, I could make a balanced Chandra. But they've made plenty of those. What fun is that?

But man, I'd like a new Koth.

Jhriad

Chandra, Flames of the Hoobajoob 1RR

+1 Deal 1 damage to all creatures.
-2 Deal 2 damage to target creature.
-6 You gain an emblem with "If a red source you control would deal damage to a permanent or player, it deals that much damage plus one to that permanent or player instead."

Watching the Legacy GP reminded me just how absurd DRS is and how only crazy people think it should be unbanned in Modern. ;)

I'm pretty crazy but man I loved Jund so hard back in 2013 era.

I know that it's overpowered but I guess that's the Spike in me, I love powerful cards / decks. But hey I also love rogue budget decks that win out of nowhere.

Angry Grimace

I mean, sure, I guess Jund is an OP archetype fully powered, but Deathrite Shaman is card that feels shitty being banned because in and of itself, its just kind of way too good of value, as opposed to directly breaking the game.

I kind of wish a Modern existed where the only banned cards were shit that are actively breaking the game, e.g. Hypergenesis. (Fun fact: the first time they piloted Modern at the Community Cup, Hypergenesis wasn't on that banned list)

G.ZZZ

Would it still be playable at 4RR?

No worries! I didn't take it hard. Card creation is hard for sure. I just want Chandra to be good enough to see eternal play.

If you want to make it imba in eternal you just have to do things that are good in eternal but not as much in standard like:

Urabrask, phyrexian ascendant 2R
Planeswalker - Urabrask
+1 : look at the top card of your library. If it's an artifact, you may reveal it and add it to your hand.
-1 : your next spell this turn cost 2 less to play.
-3 : sacrifice an artifact. If you do, search your library for an artifact with converted mana cost equal to X+1 where X is the sacrificed artifact CMC and put it on the battlefield tapped.
Loyalty 4

Probably straight unplayable in standard and close to broken in eternal formats.

DRS homogenizes all of the GB decks. Who needs to play just Jund or Abzan? Play all of the colors! It severely cramps diversity.

BBE is the real offender for "too much value" on the banned list, and I actually advocated for an unban before they printed K Command. The idea of BBE cascading into K Command kinda makes me want to vomit.

They got rid of decklists direct from MTGO like five years ago and this is kind of a natural extension of that. They don't want people to have enough free matchup data to solve metagames without doing their own testing, which I think is fair, but the process to get there is this obnoxious exercise of arbitrarily hiding data.

That was my favorite Modern era too. Seething Song Storm was my jam.

High Five!

I mean, sure, I guess Jund is an OP archetype fully powered, but Deathrite Shaman is card that feels shitty being banned because in and of itself, its just kind of way too good of value, as opposed to directly breaking the game.

I kind of wish a Modern existed where the only banned cards were shit that are actively breaking the game, e.g. Hypergenesis. (Fun fact: the first time they piloted Modern at the Community Cup, Hypergenesis wasn't on that banned list)

I like the way you think. :cool:

Lame. Why does WotC have to be that way?

Ashodin

There's only a certain amount of cards in the pool for a format; with Standard it's very very low compared to Modern or Legacy. So through watching games with bots, you can figure out what the "best chance of winning" deck out there is, and allow players who don't need to figure out the meta to immediately step to the top of the meta with the right deck.

It increases the amount of time spent in standard where the decks are basically XYZ counters instead of random decks being able to take wins because of ingenuity on the behalf of deck builders.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
There's only a certain amount of cards in the pool for a format; with Standard it's very very low compared to Modern or Legacy. So through watching games with bots, you can figure out what the "best chance of winning" deck out there is, and allow players who don't need to figure out the meta to immediately step to the top of the meta with the right deck.

It increases the amount of time spent in standard where the decks are basically XYZ counters instead of random decks being able to take wins because of ingenuity on the behalf of deck builders.
So what's the best chance at winning deck now? Abzan?

It occurs to me that converge makes a lot more sense in Limited if Oath has cards like this for Two-Headed Giant.

Shared Plains
Land
Tap: Choose a player. That player adds W to his or her mana pool.

Maledict

The problem is it won't fix that issue. It just creates a barrier to entry which means some players will have the data and others won't. People who copy deck list and don't experiment aren't going to suddenly start experimenting, they'll just copy deck lists with less knowledge of the format.

Ultimately, if wizards are concerned about standard being 'solved' then the onus is on them to make a better standard. Hiding of information like this, in this day and age, simply doesn't work.

ElyrionX

I am so goddamn excited for Mizzix. I have brewed up a storm deck and will need just a few pieces from C15 to complete it. Can't wait to test it on Fri or Sat.

Firemind

I looked over the image gallery again and there is a couple of outstanding, low-key artwork. I have never even seen these before or at least I can't remember ever seeing them:

But of course we're going to see more of these, because planeswalkers are kewl please have my babies Sorin:

bigkrev

I looked over the image gallery again and there is a couple of outstanding, low-key artwork. I have never even seen these before or at least I can't remember ever seeing them:

But of course we're going to see more of these, because planeswalkers are kewl please have my babies Sorin:

Never seen the first one, but the other 3 are re-uses of their origina Portal 2nd Age, P3K, and Fifth Dawn art.

OnPoint

First one is Dissension (also reprinted in Planechase).

Also why are Ambition's Cost and Ancient Craving the same cards with different names and rarities?

First one is Dissension (also reprinted in Planechase).

Also why are Ambition's Cost and Ancient Craving the same cards with different names and rarities?

The first is from Portal: Three Kingdoms (reprinted in Eight Edition at uncommon) and the second is from Portal 2. I guess they wanted Ancient Craving in Portal: Three Kingdoms but the name didn't make sense there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom