• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
and with that the chances of the u/r manland being in bfz diminishes

it will appear in the second set which will drive up the prices of individual cards because of lesser demand and no super mega mythic lands to cover up the expected value

fuck me

the second set also has super mega mythic lands, 20 more of them in fact.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
but leaves siege rhino alone lol

between this and languish

is there removal that can actually kill it?

which lands could that be?

We don't know yet. Manlands? Filterlands? ABU DUALS?!

Manlands seem like a weird fit due to the amount of text on some of them.

Daedardus

and with that the chances of the u/r manland being in bfz diminishes

it will appear in the second set which will drive up the prices of individual cards because of lesser demand and no super mega mythic lands to cover up the expected value

fuck me

Gatewatch will have 20 expeditions too. They might not be as valuable as the fetches, but I expect to manlands to be in there and I think there is enough demand for a better art Colonade. They will at least even the price out a bit, if they choose the filterlands above the checklands (and no enemy tangolands get printed). Maybe it's possible that the enemy fetches are in Gatewatch too.

Angry Grimace

Raging Ravine is still played in Jund, Colonnade is played in U/W/x, Wildwood you see sometimes in Reliquary decks, Creeping Tar Pit is played in Grixis Control now, Lavaclaw Reaches sucks.

The two we've seen so far would not see Modern play unless there wasn't another option, I imagine.

Firemind

We don't know yet. Manlands? Filterlands? ABU DUALS?!

Manlands seem like a weird fit due to the amount of text on some of them.
I wouldn't mind the original duals. And with that, I'm going to hold you responsible if I'm let down. It's too briliant of a marketing scheme to actually have gone through wizards' heads though.

lol I misread the hedron artifact. I thought that as long as it was on the battlefield, creatures with power 5+ just get exiled.

Super o-ring is way more reasonable.

:p

Angry Grimace

Printing the ABU Duals would be fucking brilliant by the way. It would have 0 impact on dual prices and dip their toes in the water of FUCK THE RESERVED LIST

Jhriad

I think he's more likely to show up in Jeskai decks. Mastery of the Unseen, Jeskai Charm, Seeker of the Way, Arashin Cleric, Ojutai Exemplars, Soulfire Grand Master, Ojutai's Command, Wingmate Roc. There's a solid amount of life gain in Jeskai colors.

Mastery of the Unseen doesn't really work with a lot the other cards you mentioned. If you're playing Jeskai you're playing maybe 3-4 of those cards and you're probably relying on Grandmaster w/ burn to get you to 40. If you're using Wingmate Roc and Red to get there you're probably in a Mardu Tokens shell w/ Sorin, not Jeskai.

I'd rather play Abzan with Arashin Cleric, Sorin, Siege Rhino and cast Feed the Clan on their end step if 40 was my goal. Especially with that new Manland.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";178241504]lol I misread the hedron artifact. I thought that as long as it was on the battlefield, creatures with power 5+ just get exiled.

Super o-ring is way more reasonable.

:p[/QUOTE]

I did the same misread. I was about to be really sad to be playing Green Ramp. It's still sad, but less so.

kirblar

Printing the ABU Duals would be fucking brilliant by the way. It would have 0 impact on dual prices and dip their toes in the water of FUCK THE RESERVED LIST
The counterfeits are getting much worse on Ebay and will probably be what causes them to break it, if they ever do.
I would agree with that, but the problem most definitely extends to Jace and Gideon as well

"You see, the thing about Gideon, is that he wants to help people too much"
Yeah, its just worse when the characters are starting out as very grey semi-villains and turned into perfect angels.

I'm surprised that Felidar Sovereign is apparently using the same art as in original Zendikar. This is a first (for nonlands) for an expert expansion, right?

Perilous Research - Greenwarden of Murasa
Greenwarden seems pretty good. As the article notes, it can work as a new top-end for an Abzan deck that was previously running Elspeth, it can enter the battlefield using See the Unwritten and return it to your hand (and trigger ferocious), and it can trade with Siege Rhino and Tasigur.

Command Tower - Void Winnower
This is pretty neat.

I find it funny that Hedron Network just misses Siege Rhino.

Shambling Vent looks good. It reminds me in appearance of a thrull, which appears in white and black.

EDIT: World poll results so far.
New worlds
toebel asked: New Worlds: Top scorers until now are: Pirate world, Egypt-inspired world and Viking World. Followed by Steampunk Prehistoric and Mesoamerican. Notable others: Wildwest, High fantasy and African-themed.
Old worlds
toebel asked: From what I've read in the comments to RETURN TO PLANE, The top scorer is Innistrad I believe. Lorwyn and Kamigawa scored very well too (typical Blogatog). Then follow New Phyrexia, Theros, Alara and Dominaria. From thenew Origin Planes Kaladesh scored best.

Angry Grimace

More Thomas Kinkade lands

COjbf2iW8AAX0u6.png

The counterfeits are getting much worse on Ebay and will probably be what causes them to break it, if they ever do.

Yeah, its just worse when the characters are starting out as very grey semi-villains and turned into perfect angels.

Having handled a few of them, I feel confident in saying there is no way you would ever get caught with one of those blue-core counterfeits, *especially* if you roughed it up a little to make it look a little more worn. Those cost about $30 for a set. I'm talking any tournament, even on camera, anywhere. If every judge had a Jeweler's Loupe, sure you could get caught, the thing is, they're not gonna do that unless it doesn't pass the "smell test" by having something obviously fake about them.

ultron87

I wouldn't mind the original duals. And with that, I'm going to hold you responsible if I'm let down. It's too briliant of a marketing scheme to actually have gone through wizards' heads though.

I think they could manage to pick out some good high value non reserve list stuff. Part of it will depend on if they're willing to put in stuff that isn't Modern legal. Wasteland and Karakas would be pretty crazy. But they might not want to include something that a large percentage of the players wouldn't have a deck they could put it in.

Even sticking to Modern they can fill in some slots with non duals like Cavern of Souls, Inkmoth Nexus, and Glimmervoid that would probably be well received. Though if they're theming everything to Zenikar you probably can't do Inkmoth.

Angry Grimace

I think most of these lands look like shit, by the way.

They universally look like Thomas Kinkade, Painter of Light was given an assignment to randomly create Zendikar dual lands.

The only one I even like is Godless Shrine, because that one kicks ass.

duxstar

Why wizards ........ why the fuck can not a single card touch your precious Abzan decks, why not just print siege rhino at common if you wanted it to be so dominate.

Crocodile

I'm surprised that Felidar Sovereign is apparently using the same art as in original Zendikar. This is a first (for nonlands) for an expert expansion, right?

Perilous Research - Greenwarden of Murasa
Greenwarden seems pretty good. As the article notes, it can work as a new top-end for an Abzan deck that was previously running Elspeth, it can enter the battlefield using See the Unwritten and return it to your hand (and trigger ferocious), and it can trade with Siege Rhino and Tasigur.

Command Tower - Void Winnower
This is pretty neat.

I find it funny that Hedron Network just misses Siege Rhino.

Shambling Vent looks good. It reminds me in appearance of a thrull, which appears in white and black.

New worlds

Old worlds

The Origins plane that had the most work put into it because its probably a thing they are already working on scored the best. WHAT A SURPRISE! :p

Also if Maro is tired of people asking for Kamigawa maybe he should stop asking questions where that is an obvious answer? Like is it that hard for him to admit that inspite of whatever data he collected a decade ago that a lot of people still have a strong interest in the plane. I appreciate that WOTC listens to feedback and I think overall it has resulted in a better game. However, I think there have been clear cases where it has hurt the game as well or resulted in worse design (hello new Eldrazi). They seem to just absorb everything and aren't always good at ignoring "bad" feedback - a good leader sometimes needs to know or be able to judge when an idea or response isn't worth listening too or discern what an audience is "actually" saying.

Angry Grimace

I think they could manage to pick out some good high value non reserve list stuff. Part of it will depend on if they're willing to put in stuff that isn't Modern legal. Wasteland and Karakas would be pretty crazy. But they might not want to include something that a large percentage of the players wouldn't have a deck they could put it in.

Even sticking to Modern they can fill in some slots with non duals like Cavern of Souls, Inkmoth Nexus, and Glimmervoid that would probably be well received. Though if they're theming everything to Zenikar you probably can't do Inkmoth.

Its probably just filterlands and manlands.

Or for funsies, Horizon Canopy, Grove of the Burnwillows, River of Tears, etc.

The Origins plane that had the most work put into it because its probably a thing they are already working on scored the best. WHAT A SURPRISE! :p

Also if Maro is tired of people asking for Kamigawa maybe he should stop asking questions where that is an obvious answer? Like is it that hard for him to admit that inspite of whatever data he collected a decade ago that a lot of people still have a strong interest in the plane. I appreciate that WOTC listens to feedback and I think overall it has resulted in a better game. However, I think there have been clear cases where it has hurt the game as well or resulted in worse design (hello new Eldrazi). They seem to just absorb everything and aren't always good at ignoring "bad" feedback - a good leader sometimes needs to know or be able to judge when an idea or response isn't worth listening too or discern what an audience is "actually" saying.

If you're referring to the "typical Blogatog" aside, that's from toebel, not MaRo.

Firemind

i like the touch of flock of red birds. angry grimace probably hates colours.

how many of these expedition lands are there going to be in this set? 10 fetchlands, 10 shocklands, 10 whatever-you-want-to-call-them lands?

Angry Grimace

i like the touch of flock of red birds. angry grimace probably hates colours.

how many of these expedition lands are there going to be in this set? 10 fetchlands, 10 shocklands, 10 whatever-you-want-to-call-them lands?

They look like Thomas Kinkade knockoffs. Except that bitchin' Godless Shrine.

jph139

I really like the phrase "We don't need avatars, we need characters," which I think is 90% of the problem with Planeswalkers recently. They make for good soundbites and cosplay but poor stories. I think it's a problem that extends to a lot of fantasy/sci-fi/superhero media, selling concepts more than characters.

I would agree with that, but the problem most definitely extends to Jace and Gideon as well

"You see, the thing about Gideon, is that he wants to help people too much"

See, I like Gideon in a "Superman but Magic" way. He's an indestructible man in a world that is very, very destructible. It's an interesting conflict that feels relatively unique to the character, the setting, and the context. Nissa's stories could be ripped from any teen fantasy novel by comparison.

Execution isn't without its issues, but it's a good idea at least.

Vyktal

Thread moves extremely quickly with the spoilers coming out!

Thanks to those who answered my questions several pages back. I might wait till the pre-release event and attend my local gamestore to take part and see what the group is like (sadly don't have any friends who play Magic atm). If I meet some cool people and the group seems solid then I'll commit, maybe attend more pre-release and draft events, grab the "Armed and Dangerous" set and try go Standard whilst making a Modern/Legacy/Commander deck with my old cards.

Also loving the Eldrazi design. Always found Cthulu-esque monsters to be cool

Angry Grimace

mutant ability? what? someone has to explain this to me

He just has the power to make himself invincible, its basically just a mutant power. It was in his Origins story.

Jhriad

New worlds
Code:
toebel asked: New Worlds: Top scorers until now are: Pirate world, Egypt-inspired world and Viking World. Followed by Steampunk Prehistoric and Mesoamerican. Notable others: Wildwest, High fantasy and African-themed.

I'd still like to see my suggestion but I'm obviously biased. From those picks the Mesoamerican and African planes could be cool. It would be interesting to see a Mesoamerican block take on something like the Spanish conquests of the 16th Century. As for an African block, I have a hard time believing that WotC could do one that isn't just 'Egypt' themed or centered around an Anansi-style trickster. The latter could be cool if they play with the artistic style guide a bit for that block. There's plenty of good African folklore they could source from but I have my doubts as to whether or not WotC would tackle the material in a satisfactory fashion. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom