• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated my Temur deck, in preparation for the loss of Elvish Mystic and other rotation. Fairing pretty well, hasn't lost yet.

Still the most successful deck I've run, including Abzan, Sultai, and Atarka Red.

Since the first Zendikar set (so it's been awhile). I'm kinda near Star City Games, so it's always been hard to avoid the game, but I was waiting until the core sets were phased out, and the new mulligan rule makes a ton of sense.
Paper magic. Stay away from magic online.
Of course! I'll never play that unless it improves dramatically.
oBTQX.gif

duxstar

Spoilers were so meh today. Watching MagicTV right now , and I love the argument that New Kiora is bad because she doesn't protect herself.

I hate that this is is a thing , not every planeswalker needs to protect itself to be playable. The old Kiora protected herself and wasn't amazing, same with Sarkhan the unbroken.

I just think she's better than people think

Joe Molotov

Everybody knows that the best card to combo with R&D's Secret Lair is...

Image.ashx

You don't choose, the card does. I wonder if us judges would be able to award the Spuzzem DQs for stalling... would we have to sign it up into the DCI in order to do that?

Floral Spuzzem is also the filthiest card ever printed.

mundaambushleader.jpg

Seems legit.. Naya allies woo!

Huh I thought they put the allies in your hand. NVM I don't like it nearly as much.

You really thought they'd do repeated Ally card draw at that cost? This card will still be good in an Ally deck by ensuring a constant stream of Allies and no lands.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I made a sad little sound when I got to the end and was like "...and you don't get any of them"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Spoilers were so meh today. Watching MagicTV right now , and I love the argument that New Kiora is bad because she doesn't protect herself.

I hate that this is is a thing , not every planeswalker needs to protect itself to be playable. The old Kiora protected herself and wasn't amazing, same with Sarkhan the unbroken.

I just think she's better than people think
Narset doesn't really either but Narset also is bad so there's that.

Kiora's minus compares a bit to Jace AOT which is a good thing.

Matriox

You really thought they'd do repeated Ally card draw at that cost? This card will still be good in an Ally deck by ensuring a constant stream of Allies and no lands.

To be honest I didn't think of it as abusable like that, but with Collected Company and Gideon Ally already at 4 mana I'm skeptical it's better than those or what's to come.

Angry Grimace

Sweet, never realized that was a card.

Goblin Ringleader always makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Well Origins got its Goblin reprint with Goblin Piledriver

Toxi

Banned
He's legendary, so an Ally commander for edh makes me pretty happy.
Being RW locks Munda out of three colors of allies; there are only 13 allies pre-Battle for Zendikar in his color identity not counting Changelings. Combine that with RW being one of the worst color combos in EDH and the lack of card draw in those two colors, and he doesn't look great.

Really wish they made him RGW.

Matriox

Being RW locks Munda out of three colors of allies; there are only 13 allies pre-Battle for Zendikar in his color identity not counting Changelings. Combine that with RW being one of the worst color combos in EDH and the lack of card draw in those two colors, and he doesn't look great.

Really wish they made him RGW.

Yeh I wish they made a 5 color one, but Naya would have also made me happier.

Edit: 14 if you count Stonework Puma :p

Yeef

Rally is just an ability word for abilities that trigger when an ally enters. They've been playing up the ones that affect non-ally creatures, but the mechanics article doesn't say anything about that. So far we've gotten 3 that have global effects and 2 that don't,

Angry Grimace

Can we also point out the huge flavor fail of an Ambush Leader that tells the enemy what's coming ahead of time

Yeef

Can we also point out the huge flavor fail of an Ambush Leader that tells the enemy what's coming ahead of time
He leads the ambush. That's why he has haste. When he shows up, you've already been ambushed! The other guys are just slower to get into the fray.

If an ally deck is a real thing in standard, I think this guy will almost certainly see play. If it's super-aggressive, he might even be a curve topper. He can set up a Collected Company pretty well. If there's an ally with a Rally regrowth effect things can get especially silly.

duxstar

He leads the ambush. That's why he has haste. When he shows up, you've already been ambushed! The other guys are just slower to get into the fray.

If an ally deck is a real thing in standard, I think this guy will almost certainly see play. If it's super-aggressive, he might even be a curve topper. He can set up a Collected Company pretty well. If there's an ally with a Rally regrowth effect things can get especially silly.

If there's an ally deck in standard this guy won't be apart of it. How powerful is Sylvan Messanger ? Not very.

If this guy gets in off a collected company then we can talk about seeing real play.

Yeef

If there's an ally deck in standard this guy won't be apart of it. How powerful is Sylvan Messanger ? Not very.
Sylvan Messenger is a 2/2 that triggers once. This guy is a 3/4 with haste that potentially triggers every turn while also triggering other abilities.

If there's a regrowth ally, it will let you rebuy Collected Company ad infinitum, which would be silly.

Angry Grimace

I'm a little skeptical at a 4 drop in a tribal deck that doesn't give you any cards.

Crocodile

Sylvan Messenger is a 2/2 that triggers once. This guy is a 3/4 with haste that potentially triggers every turn while also triggering other abilities.

If there's a regrowth ally, it will let you rebuy Collected Company ad infinitum, which would be silly.

Let's not pretend that the fact Messenger puts the cards into your hand isn't a HUGE deal. Anyway, there was a competitive ally deck in the past, I certainly think its possible a new one will emerge too and if so this card will be part of it. Otherwise meh.

Yeef

I'm a little skeptical at a 4 drop in a tribal deck that doesn't give you any cards.
Even though he doesn't give you any card advantage, he gives you a lot of card selection and quality. Since allies (that we've seen) primarily work off ETB abilities, playing one each turn can put a ton of pressure on the opponent. In an aggressive deck that tops out at 4, being able to filter past your lands and hit gas each turn helps a ton.

I can definitely see him being a part of the Ally engine. He basically guarantees you'll be dropping a new Ally every turn, which is obviously the most critical aspect of making Allies work. Not getting the cards in hand is a drawback but that would be absurd considering the effect is going to go off once, and possibly multiple times, every turn.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I get the Elf but that cost/ability design is just some gobbledygook.

Okay really it's just sunburst. Like, the card would work fine if they simply called it sunburst.

I'm guessing there are other converge effects that do different things than +1/+1 counters.

Tizoc

Oooooh you mean if you don't summon it normally? Then yeah I guess it would enter the battlefield 0/0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom