• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Okay I entered a league and so far its just sitting in queues not doing anything

awesome

Korgill

Random thought on how Steamflogger Boss could work.
Image.ashx

Rigger creatures can assemble a Contraption by exiling any number of "Component" artifacts that says that the assembled Contraption will have certain qualities and/or any number of Contraptions, and then put a Contraption token onto the battlefield with those qualities. Maybe to make things easier, Contraptions all start as 0/0 creatures. The key is why the creature is doing the assembling and not the player. And the solution is, the Rigger adds its own qualities to the assembled Contraption.

Like a component would be:
"This Contraption has +1/+1."

A rigger's assemble ability could be:
1R, Tap: This creature assembles a Contraption (Exile any number of Component or Contraption artifacts you control: Put a 0/0 artifact Contraption creature onto the battlefield with the text of the exiled artifacts.)

Contraptions assembled by this creature gain "This Contraption has +1/+0".

Although that last part, with the Rigger adding qualities, does have big memory issues. The fact that you exile Components should make building Contraptions using those easier to keep track of, though. Maybe Riggers just provide "until end of turn" effects.

I personally dislike the idea of using extra component cards. Why not just have a series of Riggers that act sort of like Slivers but make the effect permanent to the Contraption built. i.e Any Contraptions built this turn have "whatever effect you want." Or something like X +1/+1 counters. Have a Builder that can make the tokens. After you can get a couple of Builders and a few Riggers you can make a couple of 3/3 fliers every turn. Keeps Steamflogger awesome by doubling production.

Infernal Tutor is actually really sweet tech for that deck.
Yeah, works really well with the plan and extra copies of Ensnaring Bridge is a big deal.
Here's the list I'm using right now, but I haven't seriously worked on Modern the last couple weeks:

Lantern Control

Creatures(5):
  • 2 Spellskite
  • 3 Simian Spirit Guide

Artifacts(22):
  • 4 Lantern of Insight
  • 4 Codex Shredder
  • 4 Ghoulcaller's Bell
  • 3 Pithing Needle
  • 4 Ensnaring Bridge
  • 3 Mox Opal

Spells(17)
  • 3 Gitaxian Probe
  • 4 Inquisition of Kozilek
  • 2 Surgical Extraction
  • 4 Ancient Stirrings
  • 2 Abrupt Decay
  • 2 Infernal Tutor

Lands(16):
  • 2 Blackcleave Cliffs
  • 2 Copperline Gorge
  • 2 Ghost Quarter
  • 4 Glimmervoid
  • 4 Llanowar Wastes
  • 2 Academy Ruins

Sideboard(15):
  • 1 Grafdigger's Cage
  • 4 Sun Droplet
  • 2 Welding Jar
  • 1 Ancient Grudge
  • 3 Nature's Claim
  • 3 Pyroclasm
  • 1 Duress

I think it's hilarious that the new U/G and R/G spoilers have people asking if Temur can be good, as if Knux isn't one of the strongest 3-drops in Standard right now.

Knux + Stubborn Denial is such a soul-crushing tag team.

mtg01_1441762862.jpg

Exert Influence(4)(U)
Sorcery
Converge-Gain control of target creature if its power is less than or equal to the number of colors of mana spent to cast Exert Influence.
“I can't control its mind ― I'm not even sure it has one. But I can dominate its will.”

Junk.

Having handled a few of them, I feel confident in saying there is no way you would ever get caught with one of those blue-core counterfeits, *especially* if you roughed it up a little to make it look a little more worn.

It kind of almost doesn't even matter that they have the blue cores, the scenario that's relevant is whether there's anything remotely suspicious about them when held and read by your opponent, sleeved. If they can pass that test they're very rarely going to get tested more thoroughly in a real play scenario.

(It would indeed be really nice if incredibly good counterfeits really did lead to eliminating the reserved list.)

Also if Maro is tired of people asking for Kamigawa maybe he should stop asking questions where that is an obvious answer?

I don't think he's sick of people saying it so much as sick of people getting mad when he tells them that even though they like it it wasn't very popular.

That said, I don't think it's inconceivable that at some point they'll actually go back for Kamigawa for something and cite the long-term fan interest as a reason.

The best Steamflogger Boss implementation I can think of involves a separate "Contraption" deck that you can put cards into play from by "assembling" them, probably shared between players.

The Riggers need to Assemble the Contraptions, though, you can't do it.

I think it's hilarious that the new U/G and R/G spoilers have people asking if Temur can be good, as if Knux isn't one of the strongest 3-drops in Standard right now.

I mean, even though it is, Temur has been a perpetual disappointment. I'd like to see Big Knux get its chance in the sun.

OnPoint

That said, I don't think it's inconceivable that at some point they'll actually go back for Kamigawa for something and cite the long-term fan interest as a reason.

Just do it in another Origins style set, where it's 1/10 planes featured. That's an easy way to get it out of the way.

duxstar

Today's the day boys, I believe ..... We'll get a card that will blow us all away.

I believe, Kozilek reprint 12/12 8 mana when you cast him destroy all lands lol. To counteract his awesomeness.... Swords to plowshare reprint lol

Crocodile

635775231910766572.jpg

I assume this lets you get like 4 two drops, 2 4 drops, etc. as a combination?

preview_transgress.jpg

Has a two mana discard spell ever seen play if it wasn't attached to a body or discarded more than one card at a time?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It kind of almost doesn't even matter that they have the blue cores, the scenario that's relevant is whether there's anything remotely suspicious about them when held and read by your opponent, sleeved. If they can pass that test they're very rarely going to get tested more thoroughly in a real play scenario.

(It would indeed be really nice if incredibly good counterfeits really did lead to eliminating the reserved list)
The blue-core itself is meaningless, it's just that the ones labeled as such are the ones that actually look and feel like Magic cards.

Angry Grimace

635775231910766572.jpg

preview_transgress.jpg

Has a two mana discard spell ever seen play if it wasn't attached to a body or discarded more than one card at a time?
$20 Inquisition of Kozilek incoming

Nooooo they aren't going to reprint Inquisition...
This is one of those cases where I legitimately don't give a fuck what their excuse is: you need to reprint Inquisition. If that card is not in OGW, there's literally no excuse whatsoever for it not being in Modern Masters 2015.

kirblar

I don't think he's sick of people saying it so much as sick of people getting mad when he tells them that even though they like it it wasn't very popular.
This set is a testament to where not listening to the right feedback can bite you.

Kamigawa sucked, yes. Is the setting redeemable? Put an exploratory team on it.

Also, I'm getting more and more worried about this set. In my opinion, they haven't printed a set of above-average quality since Khans, and this just keeps looking less and less like something I want to play.

635775231910766572.jpg

preview_transgress.jpg

I've seen a guy run Diplomacy of the Wastes as an extra Thoughtsieze style effect, but it never did well if I remember.

Angry Grimace

Also, I'm getting more and more worried about this set. In my opinion, they haven't printed a set of above-average quality since Khans, and this just keeps looking less and less like something I want to play.
Set looks like a relatively incoherent nostalgia blend of ROE/ZEN

We haven't seen as much as I would have expected by this point though.

kirblar

I think FRF was actually a great set that happened to play like shit in limited (bombs away!) because of the mono-colored necessity of being a swing set in its position. I think Dragons was ok, and I think Origins was decent, minus the art issues.

BFZ is just an incoherent mess.

I think FRF was actually a great set that happened to play like shit in limited (bombs away!) because of the mono-colored necessity of being a swing set in its position. I think Dragons was ok, and I think Origins was decent, minus the art issues.

I think this is all pretty accurate. Khans is the best large set in quite some time (since Innistrad, probably?) and Fate is probably the best small set since... jeez, New Phyrexia?

I'll admit that I don't think I've ever liked a BAA draft format in history (all my faves are AAA or CBA/ABC) so I kind of didn't care about FRF making the draft format worse, lol.

BFZ is just an incoherent mess.

I think the Zendikar side of it is pretty coherent actually! The allies make sense, the land cycles make sense, Awaken is a pretty good mechanic.

kirblar

But then theres landfall and allies and eldrazi and ingest to enable processors but also ramp into gaiant eldrazi and als oscions nad things that care about scions and then theres a SUNBURST MECHANIC and holy shit what the fuck is going on in this set.

I was going to say you guys are overreacting, and I still think you are, but this card got unveiled at a bad time.

635775238654141502.png

Prism Array(?) 4U
Enchantment
Converge - Prism Array enters the battlfield with x counter on it for each color spent to cast it.
remove a ~ counter from Prism Array: Tap target creature.
WUBRG: Scry 3.

*shrug*

To be fair, this is probably a rare cycle of converge cards. You get X counters, which you can remove to do stuff, and a WUBRG activated ability.

Yeef

Curious to see what the common and uncommon converge cards look like. The Skyreach Manta Skyrider Elf one seems fine.

I'm also curious to see what sorts of land-based fixing there will be at common and uncommon.

Crocodile

I'll be honest in that I've liked most of the Converge cards. The batting average has been pretty high, especially compare dot mechanics like Sunburst and Domain that have like two excellent cards each and then almost nothing.

Of course as I say this, an incredibly awful enchantment had to be spoiled just now so I guess Converge cards won't be mono-hits :/

I have no idea why the fuck Converge is in the set.

Edit: TIMING

Even though we haven't seen it yet I have to assume there is a lot of land fetching in this set which means it should be easy to hit Domain. Also as a some flavor justification from WOTC's mouth because of the Eldrazi colorless theme (weak but again their words not mine).

But then there's landfall and allies and eldrazi and ingest to enable processors but also ramp into giant eldrazi and also scions and things that care about scions and then theres a SUNBURST MECHANIC and holy shit what the fuck is going on in this set.

Innistrad being such a runaway hit was the reason we have the Maro & Lauer team for all the big sets now but.......I think we'll come to regret that despite how talented Maro is overall :/ (I haven't seen Lauer whiff yet)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I go away on holiday and suddenly we just up and move neighborhoods, huh? We gentrified now?

Any great spoilers in the past week?

duxstar

Can't remember where I read it but converge is in the set for limited , as an alternate thing to do in draft. I guess In their testing it was becoming pick a side eldrazi or allies, and wanted people to have off the wall options .

Still haven't seen any great allies imo , I'm at Timmy at heart so I love some of the Eldrazi.

I have no idea why the fuck Converge is in the set.

Yeah, this is the really perplexing one. The eldrazi stuff I get -- I don't necessarily like it, but at least the thought process makes sense. Converge is ten ???s in a five ??? sack -- fine mechanic, but nothing at all to do with anything.

Innistrad being such a runaway hit was the reason we have the Maro & Lauer team for all the big sets now but.......I think we'll come to regret that despite how talented Maro is overall :/ (I haven't seen Lauer whiff yet)

But we won't, because they're not doing this with the spring block. Could actually work out pretty well -- what should be guaranteed to be a good draft set every fall (seriously every Lauer lead is a fantastic draft set) and a chance for some new talent to spread its wings in the spring.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Because Fifth Dawn worked so well the last time we did 5 colors in a colorless set.

That's a bit different. Sunburst didn't really work as a theme because the entire previous two sets were pushing everyone towards colorless. The "colored vs colorless" factions thing works out a little better here.

I'm not really down on BFZ so far, but I will say that more than most sets we've seen recently I really need to see the full spoiler before I think I can judge it.

Exokell

Banned
Besides the lands and planeswalkers, BFZ have mostly been shitty cards. Eldrazi are vanilla timmies, wotc dint even put trample on them. Converge is just freaking trash.

Firemind

We Conflux now.

I really have no idea why converge is in the set. Are the five colours working together or something to defeat the eldrazi? I thought it was mostly Allies (G/W) vs. Eldrazis (U/B/R).

Firemind

Well yeah the multicolored ones do, but they all seem to tie to their mana identity. Like you're not going to see a mono green or white devoid creature. Hopefully.

El Topo

Sunburst. Did anyone ever ask for Sunburst? Then again, it somewhat fits into the set and the cards seem acceptable, although the design of the XUG elf is weird. Could be worse.

Matriox

Sunburst. Did anyone ever ask for Sunburst? Then again, it somewhat fits into the set and the cards seem acceptable, although the design of the XUG elf is weird. Could be worse.

This set so far is doing 2 of my favorite things from Magic, 5 color drafting and allies. Granted I was pretty satisfied with mm15 and KTKx3 being able to draft 5c, this is sort of a surprise that I might be able to do it again. I'm really hoping it's viable, especially since allies are spread out across 5 colors I'm definately forcing 5c allies whenever possible lol. I didn't ask for Sunburst, but I'll take it!

Hero

Wow those are just some trash rares. Why redo a mechanic like sunburst exactly? Pretty sure Engineered Explosives is the only card that sees play and that's because of its power level. Don't remember anyone ever being "man I hope they revisit this mechanic one day."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom