• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

2952166.jpg

Firemind

oh wow, i made some horrible mistakes, partly because there are a fair number of kamigawa cards in this cube that i have no idea what they actually do. still, i could attack with thraxi and burn them out. long live grixis.

there are also a number of cards from commander products. apparently, you can play the new commanders, gain experience counters, and they would count for all of them? neat.

kirblar

If it's anything like Snow-Covered lands in Coldsnap, then you have to draft them normally. However, it's possible that like other basic lands, there will be multiple printings with different art, so the same card will actually appear in four or five different common slots.

As for EDH, the expectation is that any number of Wastes will be allowed in a deck, like any other basic land, except you can put it in any deck, including one with no color identity.
There are almost certainly multiple arts, you can't get enough into circulation or in draft otherwise.

I believe they were thinking of doing Basic Creature for the relentless rats ability but it didn't work. They'll definitely be treated like the 5 normal basics.

I thought that was the joke. I never expected to see this exchange of posts or meet anyone on Gaf that was in the dark about Alt-F4, lol

Edit: I'm really excited for Oath now, with this new weird shit- I hope this colourless mana thing is a huge deal throughout.

It would be neat if. going forward, they print Wastes in sets that don't care about them, just to keep it going. Otherwise, they will be the most expensive Basic (they will be, anyway, by default of course). I just want different art, I guess, and more interpretations of colourless basic land.

OnPoint

So the person I was going to buy the Expedition from bailed on me. Which sucks. But it got me thinking: Why do I still have my Revised duals? I'm thinking about selling out of those and buying into Expeditions. Any thoughts on why I should or shouldn't?

My thinking: I get high-value versions of cards that see lots of play in a format I like. Also I never play Legacy so they just sit around.

It's an interesting coincidence how often people have to go because of real life on cockatrice the same turn they're about to lose or after they made a huge mistake.

So the person I was going to buy the Expedition from bailed on me. Which sucks. But it got me thinking: Why do I still have my Revised duals? I'm thinking about selling out of those and buying into Expeditions. Any thoughts on why I should or shouldn't?

My thinking: I get high-value versions of cards that see lots of play in a format I like. Also I never play Legacy so they just sit around.

I just traded off my last Force of Will for a stack of Modern cards. It was in my Vendilion Clique Commander deck, but I just have such little faith in Legacy right now and I don't really need a single card that doubles the price of one of my casual decks.

Jhriad

On one hand, your Duals are in the Holiday slump/Pre-Tax Return period so they're probably at or near their 12 Month low. On the other hand Expeditions are probably pretty close to, or at, their floor so it's not a bad time to get in on them. It's really up to you. Do you get much use out of your Duals? If not, then it might be a good to move into some Expeditions over the next month.

That said, take my opinion with the knowledge that I've been pretty clear about my aversion to Legacy/Vintage cards since I think there's no significant growth potential left there and your money is probably better off in things like certain Judge foils and Expeditions.

OnPoint

On one hand, your Duals are in the Holiday slump/Pre-Tax Return period so they're probably at or near their 12 Month low. On the other hand Expeditions are probably pretty close to, or at, their floor so it's not a bad time to get in on them. It's really up to you. Do you get much use out of your Duals? If not, then it might be a good to move into some Expeditions over the next month.

That said, take my opinion with the knowledge that I've been pretty clear about my aversion to Legacy/Vintage cards since I think there's no significant growth potential left there and your money is probably better off in things like certain Judge foils and Expeditions.

I have a set of Forces, set of Wastelands, a full set of duals, and a bunch of other Legacy cards and I use none of them really. I might keep one or two of each for EDH play but Expeditions seem like a much better proposition.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I traded my Expedition for Liliana of the Veils.

Cards not gonna go down.

Revised dual lands will basically always stay at their current levels, or rise with inflation. Expeditions can be printed any number of times across any number of sets in the future, and thus on a value basis may decrease in value overall, over time. Increased play may certainly change this outcome and they should rise between now and when they are printed again, but if, for example, they are also in Oath, now is not the time to buy them.

Finally, dual lands are played extensively in commander, legacy, and vintage. Given legacy's lack of play, I would also advise that there is a risk that Wizards merges it into Modern legal...making original dual lands spike significantly in price.

Basically, if I have dual lands up to 4 of each, I never ever sell them or trade them away. They are evergreen.

I just think selling a card that will never, ever be printed again and is the most powerful land that will likely ever be printed is generally a bad idea. It can go wrong in so many ways.

ultron87

The Kozilek art is different than what is on the card, but it has the same symbol floating over his head, which Kozilek didn't have before, so that double super mega confirms it.

Increased play may certainly change this outcome and they should rise between now and when they are printed again, but if, for example, they are also in Oath

They're not.

I'm not sure why you think there's future reprint potential for these cards. Even though these lands will all assuredly be printed again in the future, this particular pimped iteration won't be. As long as Misty Rainforest is a desirable card in general, a unique and splashy version of it is going to be extra desirable.

[quote="God's Beard!";186206186]Since I'm tired of complaining about how bad the BFZ art is, here's my top 3 non-land art in the set:
[/quote]

Good choices. I've been saying from day one that the problem isn't that all the art in BFZ is bad, it's that there's an unusually large number of really terrible pieces -- but there's still quite a bit that's up to standards. The eldrazi really came out ahead on the set too -- their illustrations are significantly better on average than the Zendikari side, and several of them (like all three of the examples you shared) are really quite spectacular.

The water on Oracle of Dust is definitely quite nice, but what really made that one a standout piece for me was the composition -- the way you first see that it's just sitting there serenely and meditatively, and then only afterwards notice that it's just casually resting its hand on a dead body, one of several strewn about the area, really helps it communicate alien menace in the way you'd want the Eldrazi to do.

Why is Chandra's head on fire? Is she literally the Human Torch?

You're asking this now? When almost every piece of art with Chandra ever depicts her head on fire?

Anyway, I'm fine with the new art. That's probably going to be the header for the Oath of the Gatewatch "opening post".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why is Chandra's head on fire? Is she literally the Human Torch?

I noticed they changed it from her head being completely on fire to just the tips of her hair a while back, but I guess they went back to it.

I just assumed it was a change they were making for marketing reasons (e.g. making her look conventionally attractive even in her powered form since she's always in her powered form on cards)

OnPoint

They're not.

I'm not sure why you think there's future reprint potential for these cards. Even though these lands will all assuredly be printed again in the future, this particular pimped iteration won't be. As long as Misty Rainforest is a desirable card in general, a unique and splashy version of it is going to be extra desirable.

So you are, or are not an advocate for selling out of the duals and into Expeditions?

Jhriad

Increased play may certainly change this outcome and they should rise between now and when they are printed again, but if, for example, they are also in Oath, now is not the time to buy them.

Expeditions have long been confirmed to be in Oath, since the announcement of BFZ I believe. They're a different set of 20 Expeditions though so they're not reprinting the same ones. The amount of play that, for instance, the Fetches see is orders of magnitude greater than the Duals and as such the floor for special printings of foils like that is still pretty high. The likelihood of a reprint in the next 3-4 years is basically nil.

Finally, dual lands are played extensively in commander, legacy, and vintage.

Commander is realistically the only real driver for growth here as the other two formats aren't growing anywhere near the speed of Commander or, say, Modern. Since EDH is a singleton format it doesn't drive prices nearly as quickly so growth will be modest at best. Now, if I were getting out of Duals I would probably keep one of each so that I could play with them in EDH in the future but there's realistically no reason to hold onto more than that if you're either A) Not using them in multiple EDH decks and value not switching cards between decks more than the value those cards represent or B) Regularly playing Legacy/Vintage/Casual with the cards.

Given legacy's lack of play, I would also advise that there is a risk that Wizards merges it into Modern legal...making original dual lands spike significantly in price.

There's literally no possibility of this happening. One of the primary reasons for the creation of Modern and Wizards promotion of the format over Legacy/Vintage is the Reserved List. Now, if Wizards were to "merge" Duals into Modern as you're saying they would have to reprint them into the format, basically nixing the Reserved List as we know it and infuriating a lot of Stores and Collectors at the same time. So either Duals somehow find their way into Modern via a reprint and thus their price is, at least for a time, reduced because of the massively increased supply or they stay as is and see very modest growth annually until either Legacy/Vintage peter out (unlikely) or the concerns over Reserved List card authenticity degrade confidence such that it sparks a price correction of some sort.

I just think selling a card that will never, ever be printed again and is the most powerful land that will likely ever be printed is generally a bad idea. It can go wrong in so many ways.

The thing is, they are being reprinted. It's just by Chinese counterfeiters in smaller batches instead of by WOTC. The only way trading out of a card can go wrong is if you end up wanting to trade back into the card in the future and the card is now considerably more valuable compared to the net value (in whatever combination of financial, sentimental, or functional) you got from the original trade. That's it. Obviously if you have authentic Alpha Duals, Power Nine, or something along those lines I'd be a bit more hesitant about trading out but with cards printed after ABU, like Revised Duals and FoW, the financial burden created by getting back in at a later date isn't so considerable that I'd value that over actually getting to play Magic. Ideally I'd be trading into cards like Modern staples that I was reasonably sure would retain most of their value over time if I decided to swap back into the Legacy cards.

Angry Grimace

Revised dual lands will basically always stay at their current levels, or rise with inflation. Expeditions can be printed any number of times across any number of sets in the future, and thus on a value basis may decrease in value overall, over time. Increased play may certainly change this outcome and they should rise between now and when they are printed again, but if, for example, they are also in Oath, now is not the time to buy them.

Finally, dual lands are played extensively in commander, legacy, and vintage. Given legacy's lack of play, I would also advise that there is a risk that Wizards merges it into Modern legal...making original dual lands spike significantly in price.

Basically, if I have dual lands up to 4 of each, I never ever sell them or trade them away. They are evergreen.

There's a 0.0% that ABU Duals will ever be in Modern. There literally aren't enough of them in existence.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Modern was made specifically to work around the dual lands being on the reserve list. There is a higher possibility of ScarJo crashing through my bedroom window and kicking me in the throat than WotC ever merging modern and legacy. What is far, far, far more likely is that legacy continues to lose official support to the point where it's not played at the prices for those cards plummet to the ceiling. Once they're not usable they quickly become cardboard again. Collectors for that type of stuff expect some eventually turnaround. If the format dies completely - and signs are starting to show that either WotC will have to do away with the reserve list or the format is toast - don't expect to even remotely make your money back on an investment into legacy staples.

The water on Oracle of Dust is definitely quite nice, but what really made that one a standout piece for me was the composition -- the way you first see that it's just sitting there serenely and meditatively, and then only afterwards notice that it's just casually resting its hand on a dead body, one of several strewn about the area, really helps it communicate alien menace in the way you'd want the Eldrazi to do.

All the good eldrazi commissions are painted in a way that makes them as majestic as they are unsettling, which really contributes towards their otherworldliness. I'm generally not a fan of humanoid aliens, but they've certainly minimized the anthropomorphism.

Ashodin

Kozilek leading Ulamog is probably significant. Perhaps Ulamog, being weakened, is subject to Kozilek's mindbending influence now?

Which leads to an interesting question: are the Eldrazi not allied with each other, and instead contesting for "territory" to transmute into their preferred waste material?

Angry Grimace

Modern was made specifically to work around the dual lands being on the reserve list. There is a higher possibility of ScarJo crashing through my bedroom window and kicking me in the throat than WotC ever merging modern and legacy. What is far, far, far more likely is that legacy continues to lose official support to the point where it's not played at the prices for those cards plummet to the ceiling. Once they're not usable they quickly become cardboard again. Collectors for that type of stuff expect some eventually turnaround. If the format dies completely - and signs are starting to show that either WotC will have to do away with the reserve list or the format is toast - don't expect to even remotely make your money back on an investment into legacy staples.

My guess is they're perfectly fine relegating Legacy to a MODO format.

Kozilek leading Ulamog is probably significant. Perhaps Ulamog, being weakened, is subject to Kozilek's mindbending influence now?

Which leads to an interesting question: are the Eldrazi not allied with each other, and instead contesting for "territory" to transmute into their preferred waste material?

Kozilek is the merrow god of trickster's, his legends tells how he tricks Ulamog into doing his work or something and so far Wastes are entirely associated with Kozilek as well.

So is the art consistent? Looks to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom