• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Boring thread is boring today!

Tibalt always knows how to fire up a party.

dR9WikK.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's because December is the deadest of dead Magic months because they don't release anything because they release a set in September and then do nothing until January when they start releasing sets way faster.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The lull between the Spring set and the Summer set in recent years has been broken up by supplemental sets, too. But that lull is likely to be way less noticeable with the Spring set being a large set in a new block, too.

OnPoint

That's fine. I just think now is the perfect time to do silly stuff like make stupid planeswalkers and lists of favorite land arts and what not. No reason to let the thread just die.

ultron87

I'm quite interested to see what mechanics they give to the less expensive cards with <> in the cost (if those exist). Is "colorless" going to get its own slice of the color pie or is it going to be just in the same wheelhouse that Eldrazi up till now have had up till now with big creatures, exiling (at a high cost), and various other effects but at a very expensive rate?

Like, Kozilek is pitch countering spells and isn't Blue, but it doesn't feel like it breaks new ground or anything because he's just so expensive that the rules kind of go out the window.

ultron87

Basically yeah, but I have to assume there will be cards with <> in the mana cost that do interesting things that don't cost 6+ mana. So I wonder what those end up looking like and if that will be anything that formally was something from the wheelhouse of the existing colors. Like does it get Blue's card draw or Green's efficiently costed creatures or etc etc.

Like could they do "2<>: counter target colored spell" or whatever.

We sure about that? I could see new threads just for large releases

Before, I was all for having just one thread per block, but we're already coming up on 10,000 posts. At this point, it feels like it would be weird not to create a new thread.

As for <>, I'm expecting it to act as an "intensifier" that makes a spell stronger than usual, but not out of color. Like:

Kozilek's Counter <>U
Instant
Devoid
Counter target spell. If a spell is countered this way, exile it instead.

Wulfric

So Wizards is finally capitalizing on their art portfolio, huh? I thought the Zendikar artbook was a one time thing, but it's nice to see we'll be getting more books in the future.

If there's one thing I expect out of Innistrad, it's super neato gothic art.

OnPoint

New thread when OGW stuff starts anyway.

Sure, but that doesn't mean this one should die now is what I'm saying. OGW won't be coming with spoilers until when, like Xmas and/or Jan 1?

Before, I was all for having just one thread per block, but we're already coming up on 10,000 posts. At this point, it feels like it would be weird not to create a new thread.

As for <>, I'm expecting it to act as an "intensifier" that makes a spell stronger than usual, but not out of color. Like:

Kozilek's Counter <>U
Instant
Devoid

Part of me would be surprised if this was how they did it. It would basically just be like Devoid but better if that's what they did.

Honestly, I feel like they're going to make it a colorless matters kind of thing. I would expect a lot of 2<><> or 4<> costs. I think they're going to want it to be mechanically different from Ulamog's flavor. But we'll see.

Angry Grimace

Sure, but that doesn't mean this one should die now is what I'm saying. OGW won't be coming with spoilers until when, like Xmas and/or Jan 1?

Part of me would be surprised if this was how they did it. It would basically just be like Devoid but better if that's what they did.

Honestly, I feel like they're going to make it a colorless matters kind of thing. I would expect a lot of 2<><> or 4<> costs. I think they're going to want it to be mechanically different from Ulamog's flavor. But we'll see.

There will be a Christmas spoiler I'm sure, but it's probably just going to be the official spoiler of Kozilek.

MjFrancis

From the Innistrad Art Book announcement:

http://www.viz.com/node/1006272

In THE ART OF MAGIC: THE GATHERING – INNISTRAD, terror falls from the skies on blood-spattered wings and nameless horrors lurk in the shadows.
While this could very likely be a reference to Eldrazi falling upon the angels of Innistrad, what I really hope it means is that the angels and wolfir get to be the antagonists of the new Innistrad block.

Not likely, but it would be pretty cool.

From the Innistrad Art Book announcement:

http://www.viz.com/node/1006272

While this could very likely be a reference to Eldrazi falling upon the angels of Innistrad, what I really hope it means is that the angels and wolfir get to be the antagonists of the new Innistrad block.

Not likely, but it would be pretty cool.

I could see something like Emrakul's MADNESS causing Avacyn and the other angels to freak the fuck out and start attacking everyone, if they treat madness like a corrupting force like in Soul Eater.

MjFrancis

I could see something like Emrakul's MADNESS causing Avacyn and the other angels to freak the fuck out and start attacking everyone, if they treat madness like a corrupting force like in Soul Eater.
I hope they handle it this way. The thing about Lovecraftian horror is that the monsters are rarely seen, only leaving footprints about of their work. Wizards have not treated the Eldrazi that way at all, though having a white-aligned Avacyn set on committing total genocide in Innistrad with only a hint of Eldrazi influence on her would be sweet.

It's Emrakul.

The set name is a Lovecraft reference.
I had recently finished listening to all of H.P. Lovecraft's books as narrated by Wayne June (highly recommend these by the way) when they made the announcement. As if I needed anything else to elevate my enthusiasm for this set.

duxstar

Kozilek's Counter <>U
Instant
Devoid

2 mana counter spell that's easier to cast than actual counter spell .....

Let's hope never

OnPoint

I hope they handle it this way. The thing about Lovecraftian horror is that the monsters are rarely seen, only leaving footprints about of their work. Wizards have not treated the Eldrazi that way at all, though having a white-aligned Avacyn set on committing total genocide in Innistrad with only a hint of Eldrazi influence on her would be sweet.

Perhaps it's going to be exactly that. Maybe Emrakul passed by or quickly through the plane on the way somewhere else and what we see in SoI are the effects of her proximity. I have doubts they're going to do all three titans in back to back blocks like that (though, conversely, the idea that perhaps they trashed BFZ set 3 and moved ideas into SoI doesn't sound too outlandish). It just feels like they can kind of do the Eldrazi thing right now fine with BFZ and OGW and then dust off the Eldrazi again at a later date.

ultron87

That description also says

a world beset by terrible evils on all sides and betrayed by the hope it held most dear. Tread lightly as you follow the heroic Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch as they investigate these dark mysteries.

So Avacyn is evil now and the Gatewatch are basically the Magic Superfriends.

Well indiscriminate genocide is as white as it gets. Don't need no Eldrazi to cleanse the world in a fit of white madness. Always wondered why madness was partially green, the colour it fit the least.

OnPoint

Are they using that twist again? Someone really likes to turn the good guys into evil ones at Wizards...

I mean it's a common trope, but do they use it that often? Looking back at the last bunch of blocks...
  • Zendikar - Sarkhan the Mad in RoE
  • M11 - Didn't use it
  • Scars - Karn was accidentally evil
  • M12 - Didn't use it
  • Innistrad - Didn't use it
  • M13 - Didn't use it
  • Return to Ravnica - Didn't use it
  • M14 - Didn't use it
  • Theros - Didn't use it
  • M15 - Garruk is cursed
  • Khans - Didn't use it
  • Origins - Didn't use it
  • BFZ - Didn't use it

So thrice since Zendikar? And not even in the same way?

Hero

I mean it's a common trope, but do they use it that often? Looking back at the last bunch of blocks...
  • Zendikar - Didn't use it
  • M11 - Didn't use it
  • Scars - Karn was accidentally evil
  • M12 - Didn't use it
  • Innistrad - Didn't use it
  • M13 - Didn't use it
  • Return to Ravnica - Didn't use it
  • M14 - Didn't use it
  • Theros - Didn't use it
  • M15 - Garruk is cursed
  • Khans - Didn't use it
  • Origins - Didn't use it
  • BFZ - Didn't use it

So twice since Zendikar? And not even in the same way?

You are forgetting Sarkhan the Mad during Rise of the Eldrazi.

On Saturday I'm playing in a live Rotisserie Draft where every vintage-legal Magic card ever printed (minus weird Conspiracy stuff) is available for draft.

Anyone have any pointers for this? Here is a general pick order for me:

Time Walk
Any available OG Moxes
Tinker
Balance
Mox Opal
Mox Diamond
Strip Mine
Crucible of Worlds
Demonic Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Fastbond
Wasteland
Crop Rotation
Ensnaring Bridge
Sensei's Top
Oath of Druid's
Sylvan Library
The Abyss
Moat
Ratchet Bomb
Thoughtseize
Ashiok Nightmare Weaver
Dack Fayden (if some Conspiracy cards are allowed)
Grindstone
Painters Servant
Blightsteel Colossus
Sundering Titan
Gemstone Mine
City of Brass
Mana Confluence
Glimmervoid
Reflecting Pool
Tendo Ice Bridge
Forbidden Orchard
Lantern of Insight
Life from the Loam
Zuran Orb

The first picks in a Vintage Rotisserie should look like this:

1) Black Lotus
2) Ancestral Recall
3) Time Vault
4) Moxen

I suggest watching one of the ShotgunLotus VRDs. You don't need to watch the whole draft minute-by-minute, but it gives you an idea of how it goes. I really like VRD7, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i4GRgYLtM

You can also see all of the pick orders they went through in all 8 of the VRDs here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y04xy0Co7s1dyJOVuRTpsn4q19sPKvuUrxRhjouc_pI/pub?output=html

Angry Grimace

Sol Ring and Black Lotus are in pretty similar spots with Lotus being a little bit ahead.

Joe Molotov

Can I have a sleeved deck, play this, unsleeve a creature, put it in the same sleeve as the Sled (to "ride" the sleeve), and then launch it?

Judge?

No, because it doesn't say you put target creature on the Sleigh, it says your creature climbs on to Sleigh, meaning you play Sleigh and then wait for your creature to gain sentience and mobility.

JulianImp

It doesn't explicitly forbid role playing.

You go and tell that to the unerrata-ed Floral Spuzzem. Who are we to choose which artifact it wants to kill in its stead? Would a judge be able to penalize the Spuzzem for slow play/stalling, and if so would its controller get the eventual game/match loss, or would the Spuzzem itself get disqualified, taken off the player's deck and thrown out of the venue?

Wulfric

Can I have a sleeved deck, play this, unsleeve a creature, put it in the same sleeve as the Sled (to "ride" the sleeve), and then launch it?

Judge?

I'm pretty sure Maro is the leading authority on silver-bordered card rulings. Ask him on Tumblr.

This year's holiday card is pretty nice, but I like Season's Beatings. It really brings out the chaos of the holidays.

LByUL6p.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom