• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandini

Funny, I was already thinking about making a WB lifegain Commander deck as my next project. Time to start digging through my cards!

Uncharted Realms - Promises to Keep
* Chandra is still the abbot of Keral Keep, but is having trouble writing a speech, so she decides to take a peek at how Zendikar is doing.
* There, she pops up near the Sea Gate and does a fist pump when the sees that the Zendikari seem to be doing well without her. This causes her to slip and fall off a cliff (really), and she gets back up, but is confronted by some Eldrazi. At first, she tries to keep a low profile, but eventually just blasts them with fire. As she leaves, she notices Ulamog in the distance.
* It's time for Chandra's speech and she still hasn't written it. She improvises a, "You are all individuals!" speech and decides to step down as abbot, which most of the monks seem OK with.
* The Mother of the keep confronts Chandra about whether this is really what she wants to do, at first seeming antagonistic, but this was really just to clear up the doubt in Chandra's head and Chandra leaves with a hug.
* Chandra arrives at Zendikar just in time to see Ob Nixilis ruin everyone's day. She tries to hit him with fire, but the resulting earthquakes and erupting debris cause her to miss.
* Chandra tries to hit Ulamog with fire, but it doesn't work.
* Chandra literally says (thinks), "What else could go wrong today?", which results in Kozilek popping out of the ground. There is art for this, presumably for a sorcery spell.

Story was eh, and I don't get what the point was of making Chandra an abbot. She didn't even make a dramatic entrance on Zendikar.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
* Chandra arrives at Zendikar just in time to see Ob Nixilis ruin everyone's day. She tries to hit him with fire, but the resulting earthquakes and erupting debris cause her to miss.
* Chandra tries to hit Ulamog with fire, but it doesn't work.
Maybe sometimes you need to be able to do more than just throw fire at things

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How did Chandra and Jace become friends again?

I mean, he attacked her. Invaded her mind and made her think he took a kid hostage he knew she cared for by reading her mind.

They're not friends.

She's super tsundere for Gideon, but they aren't exactly friends.

They're not friends.

She's super tsundere for Gideon, but they aren't exactly friends.

When did they last interact? At the end of their book Gideon was the tsundere one.

Wizard's bad writers said:
Her thoughts often stray to the battle currently raging on Zendikar, the pain her friends might be suffering there—and the help she could be providing

What friends does she have on Zendikar?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Chandra abdicating her position as Firelord so she can do what she knows is right deep down and use her powers for good is just so monored.

OnPoint

Since Chandra is in the limelight right now, here's my theory on Chandra:

- Pia and Kiran are actually adopted parents (it would explain away the whole 'they're of "indian" descent' and she's not)
- Chandra is actually the daughter of Jaya Ballard
- For whatever reason she was left with them
- Jaya is somehow still alive and important
- They will cross paths at some point
- She is not evil, but they will disagree on something as mothers and daughters do (also, mono-red arguments, el-oh-el)

Since Chandra is in the limelight right now, here's my theory on Chandra:

- Pia and Kiran are actually adopted parents (it would explain away the whole 'they're of "indian" descent' and she's not)
- Chandra is actually the daughter of Jaya Ballard
- For whatever reason she was left with them
- Jaya is somehow still alive and important
- They will cross paths at some point
- She is not evil, but they will disagree on something as mothers and daughters do (also, mono-red arguments, el-oh-el)

Please no there's only so much "who's the father" I can deal with in media and that's long been expended.

Adopted parents ;)

For anyone who was still holding onto a sliver of doubt about the leaked cards:

I1HcWoZ.jpg

A new image from the Zendikar art book labeled "Kozilek, the Great Distortion" (an appellation we'd never seen before that card leaked). My guess is that one of these is a promo art and the other one is the regular set art.

Yeef

When did they last interact? At the end of their book Gideon was the tsundere one.

What friends does she have on Zendikar?
Jace and Gideon went to Regatha before heading to Zendikar to try to recruit Chandra, but she said no. That's the last time they interacted in the story.

I don't know the story of the original Zendikar block too well, but I think Gideon and Chandra teamed up there. I don't now that Jace and Chandra are friendly, but they both helped to free the Eldrazi if I'm not mistaken, so there's a sense of responsibility to right that wrong.

Hackworth

For anyone who was still holding onto a sliver of doubt about the leaked cards:

A new image from the Zendikar art book labeled "Kozilek, the Great Distortion" (an appellation we'd never seen before that card leaked). My guess is that one of these is a promo art and the other one is the regular set art.
I'm gonna go eat crow or whatever.

Jace and Gideon went to Regatha before heading to Zendikar to try to recruit Chandra, but she said no. That's the last time they interacted in the story.

I don't know the story of the original Zendikar block too well, but I think Gideon and Chandra teamed up there. I don't now that Jace and Chandra are friendly, but they both helped to free the Eldrazi if I'm not mistaken, so there's a sense of responsibility to right that wrong.

Yeah Gideon was there but not involved in the release, it needed 3 planeswalkers to break the seal since it took 3 PWs to seal the Eldrazi. Sarkhan was the 3rd, Chandra and Jace the others.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
More Kozilek art:

c4rd4r7_NhORRpG3i5.jpg

I really wish WotC would do away with that ugly motion-blurring that their artists use on so many cards these days. It doesn't add dramatic effect, it just makes the art look cheap and artificial.

Angry Grimace

why am I playing craig wescoe on mtgo and why is he playing eldrazi skyspawner in standard

duxstar

why am I playing craig wescoe on mtgo and why is he playing eldrazi skyspawner in standard

There was a decklist somewhere with skyspawner, could be testing it out or with him he could be brewing some weird esper tokens deck with Gideon , skyspawner , whirler rogue and wasteland strangler

Angry Grimace

There was a decklist somewhere with skyspawner, could be testing it out or with him he could be brewing some weird esper tokens deck with Gideon , skyspawner , whirler rogue and wasteland strangler
It was an Esper list with Sorin and Wingmate Roc.

MjFrancis

So I've been goldfishing a bit of games with the R/G Titanshift deck that Top 8'd in Pittsburgh a couple weeks ago. It's uniquely interesting if not for just being ridiculously linear and uninteractive. Very few diverging lines of play. Pretty much ramp into Primeval Titan or Scapeshift and hope for a T4 hand and draw.

Maindeck decklist for reference:

4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Primeval Titan

4 Search for Tomorrow
2 Farseek
4 Explore
4 Scapeshift
1 Primal Command

2 Commune with Lava

4 Relic of Progenitus

4 Khalni Heart Expedition

1 Stomping Ground
3 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Cinder Glade
4 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
4 Forest
7 Mountain

I don't know how optimally I'm goldfishing it, but with 11-13 (unsideboarded) games I'm winning Turn 5 half the time, and Turns 4 and 6 about a quarter of the time each. One game went to Turn 7, and with as linear as this deck is with almost no interaction I just figure that's a whiff. Surprising revelation is that I've had 3 games where I dealt lethal through Valakut without ever casting Scapeshift or Primeval Titan.

Tournament report from Thien Nguyen:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3u6tmh/hi_im_thien_nguyen_im_the_guy_that_top_8d_gp/

Of all the decks that came out of that tournament, this was the one that came across as least likely to see in a Top 8 anywhere.

Angry Grimace

Rumor has it he ran his mouth to a judge and took it too far.
He tried to call a judge on a guy for cheating by claiming the guy had foils in his deck that could be cut to.

He demonstrated this by doing it with his own deck and was immediately DQ'd.

Basically he's a scumbag.

bigkrev

He tried to call a judge on a guy for cheating by claiming the guy had foils in his deck that could be cut to.

Should have been a lifetime ban for being an idiot if this is what actually happened.

See Christmas :p

What are the odds that on Christmas, they just post the Wastes and Kozelik with no other information?

Angry Grimace

Should have been a lifetime ban for being an idiot if this is what actually happened.

What are the odds that on Christmas, they just post the Wastes and Kozelik with no other information?

99%

Those images came from somewhere

I think it's more likely those are for an early reveal during the World Magic Cup than for a Christmas website reveal. Full previews start just a week after Christmas anyway, and they almost always officially show off a card earlier than that.

kirblar

I think it's more likely those are for an early reveal during the World Magic Cup than for a Christmas website reveal. Full previews start just a week after Christmas anyway, and they almost always officially show off a card earlier than that.
Agreed, it's the most likely explanation for the ridiculous early spoiler.

Speaking of early spoilers, let my dream for DTK-SOI come true Wizards!

4C Delver

10 Creatures
  • 4 Delver of Secrets
  • 4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
  • 2 Dragonmaster Outcast

22 Instants/Sorceries
  • 4 Fiery Impulse
  • 2 Inquisition of Kozilek
  • 2 Transgress the Mind
  • 2 Negate
  • 2 Painful Truths
  • 4 Lingering Souls
  • 2 Kolaghan's Command
  • 4 Ojutai's Command

3 Planeswalkers
  • 3 Liliana of the Veil

25 Lands
  • 4 Bloodstained Mire
  • 4 Flooded Strand
  • 4 Polluted Delta
  • 1 Swamp
  • 2 Island
  • 1 Plains
  • 1 Mountain
  • 2 Prairie Stream
  • 1 Smoldering Marsh
  • 2 Sunken Hollow
  • 1 Isolated Chapel
  • 1 Sulfur Falls
  • 1 Shambling Vent

:p

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";187787034]Speaking of early spoilers, let my dream for DTK-SOI come true Wizards!

4C Delver[/QUOTE]

The fetchlands won't be in Standard.
nofunallowed.jpg

Crocodile

ayyyy lmao

Weird though because I've met and spoken with Fabiano multiple times. He never seemed the sort of guy to do something like that. SMH if this is true.

They'll never recapture the effect of that Christmas day "Wrath of God -> Damnation" reveal. Damn near blew my mind

Still the GOAT spoiler! Has yet to be topped.

I wonder if the intended reveal of Wastes and Kozilek would have been up there too, since it wouldn't have been mired in "is this real?" discussion.

Also, does anyone else want to make the Oath of the Gatewatch thread when the time comes? I'm still interested in doing so, but I'm willing to give someone else a go.

Ashodin

I wonder if the intended reveal of Wastes and Kozilek would have been up there too, since it wouldn't have been mired in "is this real?" discussion.

Also, does anyone else want to make the Oath of the Gatewatch thread when the time comes? I'm still interested in doing so, but I'm willing to give someone else a go.

People still talkin' about it like it ain't real and MTGHeads saying they'll quit the game if it is a real color symbol. Seriously.

my reaction:

qo2X8Zo.gif

People still talkin' about it like it ain't real and MTGHeads saying they'll quit the game if it is a real color symbol. Seriously.

Sally is off of thinking it's fake now and on to wondering whether WotC will issue functional errata to thousands of old cards to change how they work with colorless mana. 👌

Ashodin

Like seriously? It's just a representation of what {1} generated from nonbasics do now.

We will now have a basic land that produces it, but it can't just be a huge ONE on the card.

Angry Grimace

E6I1NHO.png

It's shown as a judge foil but its officially listed as the 2016 GP promo on the very same page by Wizards.

It's gonna be tough getting anyone in this thread to not write up a thread that's just bitching about how much BFZ sucks, which doesn't sell the set very well.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";187787034]Speaking of early spoilers, let my dream for DTK-SOI come true Wizards!

4C Delver

10 Creatures
  • 4 Delver of Secrets
  • 4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
  • 2 Dragonmaster Outcast

22 Instants/Sorceries
  • 4 Fiery Impulse
  • 2 Inquisition of Kozilek
  • 2 Transgress the Mind
  • 2 Negate
  • 2 Painful Truths
  • 4 Lingering Souls
  • 2 Kolaghan's Command
  • 4 Ojutai's Command

3 Planeswalkers
  • 3 Liliana of the Veil

25 Lands
  • 4 Bloodstained Mire
  • 4 Flooded Strand
  • 4 Polluted Delta
  • 1 Swamp
  • 2 Island
  • 1 Plains
  • 1 Mountain
  • 2 Prairie Stream
  • 1 Smoldering Marsh
  • 2 Sunken Hollow
  • 1 Isolated Chapel
  • 1 Sulfur Falls
  • 1 Shambling Vent

:p[/QUOTE]

Not to burst your bubble, but aside from the fetchlands, I don't think Maro would answer the question "Is LOTV gonna be in standard" with "Dev thinks its too powerful" over and over if it was actually in the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom