• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
E6I1NHO.png

It's shown as a judge foil but its officially listed as the 2016 GP promo on the very same page by Wizards.

They printed a series of 8 promo cards in the "Judge" series this year but only distributed 4-8. 3 is Rishadan Port (we've seen one copy), 1 is apparently Stoneforge Mystic; typically when their plans for this stuff change they find a way to burn off the remaining promos on something else later on. I'd guess we'll see the mystery card and Port pop up somewhere soon too.

kirblar

They printed a series of 8 promo cards in the "Judge" series this year but only distributed 4-8. 3 is Rishadan Port (we've seen one copy), 1 is apparently Stoneforge Mystic; typically when their plans for this stuff change they find a way to burn off the remaining promos on something else later on. I'd guess we'll see the mystery card and Port pop up somewhere soon too.
SFM is a bizarro choice for a promo, definitely agree something went awry here.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";187896567]I am aware.

I think Lingering Souls has even less of a shot at a reprint.[/QUOTE]

Mostly because I don't think they're going to reuse Flashback in SOI.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Definitely I was just saying its a completely random choice because Snapcaster Mage (the PTQ promo) makes a billion times more sense as a GP promo. I mean, I guess there's a lot of reprint equity in Snapcaster, but fuck it.

It makes perfect sense as a Judge promo, since those always skew towards stuff that higher-level Judges play (i.e. Legacy and Commander.)

My guess is that the first three promos for this year got lost in the shuffle when they switched from periodic Judge mailings to the Exemplar program, so now they're just gonna burn them off as this type of event promo. We'll probably see one of these as the next WMCQ promo too instead of something new.

Angry Grimace

just after getting rid of thoughtseize?

We're coming up on the Kozilek set. I would be mildly surprised if Inquisition is not in this set. It's not really that good in Standard - the overall mana curve in Legacy and Modern is way lower than in Standard, where a lot of the game-winning cards cards are 4+.

We're coming up on the Kozilek set. I would be mildly surprised if Inquisition is not in this set. It's not really that good in Standard - the overall mana curve in Legacy and Modern is way lower than in Standard, where a lot of the game-winning cards cards are 4+.

It is quite good alongside Disdainful Stroke or Transgress the Mind, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two in maindecks.

It whiffs on ~4 different cards against Yore-Tiller and can just be boarded out for disdainful strokes or that devoid spell against other decks.

I'm not saying it's not good enough to see play (I would mainboard it), I'm saying its not nearly as good as Thoughtseize was in Standard. In Modern, Inquisition is probably as good if not better than Thoughtseize simply because it hits everything.

Jeskai Black is way less of the field than it was a month ago.

It hits everything but CoCo against Rally too. Eldrazi Ramp and Esper Dragons it'd be weak against.

Funnily Jeskai Black never even won a major event.

Angry Grimace

It hits everything but CoCo against Rally too. Eldrazi Ramp and Esper Dragons it'd be weak against.

Funnily Jeskai Black never even won a major event.

I mean, the fact it hits stuff isn't really a reason to not print it. Discard in and of itself isn't problematic. If they're okay printing Duress, Despise and Thoughtseize at the same time, I don't know why Inquisition, which is pretty clearly worse than Thoughtseize in the format, would be problematic.

The fact that it would be good against Deck X or Y isn't terribly relevant either - literally every non-basic land card is better against some particular deck more than others.

Angry Grimace

But they do take standard into account for stuff like that. Not at this stage but if they had an idea the field would develop like this they might have decided not to print it.

If they didn't have a problem printing Thoughtseize, I don't see why they'd have a problem printing Thoughtseize except less generically good.

Besides, if they already knew that the field would be dumb 4 color nonsense, they'd probably be more likely to print Inquisition, not less.

kirblar

If it was just the fetches, we'd be seeing the same issue in Modern. We aren't, and it's specifically Top that keeps consistently pushing games late. It really needs to go.

Legacy control existed before Terminus was printed. It'll be fine.

Angry Grimace

Why would there be two? BFZ only has multiple returning mechanics because it's effectively trying to stitch two different blocks together.

There's nothing about Flashback, Undying, or anything else that was in the original block that's thematically or mechanically tied to Innistrad as a place such that they really *need* to come back, in which case I doubt they will. DFC's are the real flagship mechanic of Innistrad; I would be willing to bet actual money that DFCs are coming back, but I doubt anyone would take me up on it.

The thing about Flashback is that it's sort of like Delve to me in that it's inherently powerful, so I don't necessarily believe they're in a huge rush to bring it back.

Excessive shuffling needs to go. That shit is ridiculous and some magic players use it as a way to look smug.

I'm pretty sure they're aware that putting 12 fetches in a deck is a horrible idea. I refuse to believe they would have put the Prairie Stream cycle in the game if they affirmatively knew it was going to be correct to do so.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";187936059]Mark Rosewater used their synergy as a selling point during their annonuncement.[/QUOTE]
They intended to put a dual land cycle in.

They made a cycle that was worse than the Shocklands overall in most formats. But what they failed to realize is that in Standard, that cycle was actually far, far,far better than the Shocklands would ever be. Complete dev screw up. Fetchable fastlands were the way to go, imo.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";187936059]Mark Rosewater used their synergy as a selling point during their annonuncement.[/QUOTE]

You're basically pointing out that design was aware that fetchlands were legal at the same time as the BFZ cycle. That doesn't mean they were necessarily aware people were planning to run 12-14 fetchlands and be shuffling 5+ times per game.

Fetchable duals that get better as the game progresses encourages you to play as many as your life total feasibly allows, which is basically somewhere around 12 give or take.

Angry Grimace

You can't ban Blood Moon unless you make Wasteland legal or something. Choke and Boil should be banned though.

The only thing on your list even vaguely likely to happen is Summer Bloom.

kirblar

You can't ban Blood Moon unless you make Wasteland legal or something. Choke and Boil should be banned though.

The only thing on your list even vaguely likely to happen is Summer Bloom.
Funny thing is Choke/Boil are far less effective in Modern than Legacy due to the non-basic-landtype duals being good.

Angry Grimace

Funny thing is Choke/Boil are far less effective in Modern than Legacy due to the non-basic-landtype duals being good.

It's not a matter of their efficacy its that they punish you for playing Islands. That's just dumb. I don't think anyone's in a rush to suggest Flashfires, Tsunami or Acid Rain come to Modern because they're hideously stupid cards, just like Boil is.

I would love the following B/R changes for Modern:

Ban: Blood Moon, SSG, Twin, Goryo's, Summer Bloom

Unban: JTMS, SFM, BBE

Oh my god you just hate fun, don't you.

I've come around on Spirit Guide; it gives decks free wins they don't deserve without being core to any strategy (other than Ad Nauseam I guess, but that deck is shit anyway). Leave the other stuff alone. Modern is actually quite healthy right now.

I would love the following B/R changes for Modern:

Ban: Blood Moon, SSG, Twin, Goryo's, Summer Bloom

Unban: JTMS, SFM, BBE

I think Stoneforge is a safe bet for an unban. We have enough good artifact hate in Modern and Modern's speed is enough that it's not Turbo busted like it was in Standard. Add to this that Kolaghan's Command exists which is effectively an-anti SFM card and that it's the GP promo for 2016 and I'd say it's likely.

Jace is a nonbo I think, mostly due to his legacy. He's doesn't seem like he'd be a super big problem for Modern, but you know someone would find a way to abuse him and I really don't think Wizards wants to have to reban an unban.

BBE is just.. No. Dear God please no. With Modern becoming the turn 4 format it'd just create the fun benefit of "BBE into :Insert Modern Staple here:", which is just ugh as an idea.

kirblar

Oh my god you just hate fun, don't you.

I've come around on Spirit Guide; it gives decks free wins they don't deserve without being core to any strategy (other than Ad Nauseam I guess, but that deck is shit anyway). Leave the other stuff alone. Modern is actually quite healthy right now.
Twin is the one I think is debatable, the others are all just "lol T4 rule, lol" (Twin is a virtual violation, imo.)

I'm more curious what would happen w/ those two together. I loved Zen/Alara T2.

Angry Grimace

I think Stoneforge is a safe bet for an unban. We have enough good artifact hate in Modern and Modern's speed is enough that it's not Turbo busted like it was in Standard. Add to this that Kolaghan's Command exists which is effectively an-anti SFM card and that it's the GP promo for 2016 and I'd say it's likely.

Jace is a nonbo I think, mostly due to his legacy. He's doesn't seem like he'd be a super big problem for Modern, but you know someone would find a way to abuse him and I really don't think Wizards wants to have to reban an unban.

BBE is just.. No. Dear God please no. With Modern becoming the turn 4 format it'd just create the fun benefit of "BBE into :Insert Modern Staple here:", which is just ugh as an idea.

The problem with Stoneforge Mystic is twofold: 1) it restricts your ability to meaningfully print any kind of useful Equipment effect; and 2) it probably requires you to ban Batterskull basically for no reason.

The problem with SFM isn't even the second ability, its having both of abilities on one card that costs 2 mana.

Matriox

The problem with Stoneforge Mystic is twofold: 1) it restricts your ability to meaningfully print any kind of useful Equipment effect; and 2) it probably requires you to ban Batterskull basically for no reason.

The problem with SFM isn't even the second ability, its having both of abilities on one card that costs 2 mana.
Kolaghan's Command answers both decently :p Yeah I'm skeptical about an unbanning but I wouldn't be opposed.

Angry Grimace

That card probably allowed it to happen, if it does happen.

Except Jund having a 2-of maindeck answer to Batterskull doesn't really change that Turn 3 Batterskull is pretty gross against a very large percentage of the field. Particularly given that the 2-for-1 that Kolaghan's Command represents doesn't actually exist against Stoneforge Mystic since it destroys Batterskull and SFM itself, except you got the Batterskull for free with the SFM.

Matriox

Might have been already said, but unbanning it with the massive rollout of gp promos for the year might be a good idea to keep the price from going stupid high.

Matriox

It hurts Burn. I'm kinda ok with it. :p

It's not like burn doesn't already have a ton of answers to SFM.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";187916919]. [/QUOTE]
It turns out I had no idea why you asked if I was Gerard Fabiano during gp Pitts.. Just found out he played Uw turns too... I'm not a unique snowflake anymore :(

Angry Grimace

It's not like burn doesn't already have a ton of answers to SFM.

Except if If Stoneforge was Demonic Tutor for Batterskull that also made your opponent discard a removal spell, it would still be a really good card just saying. The fact that Burn has no *real* answer to Batterskull itself is the bigger problem.

Matriox

Except if If Stoneforge was Demonic Tutor for Batterskull that also made your opponent discard a removal spell, it would still be a really good card just saying. The fact that Burn has no *real* answer to Batterskull itself is the bigger problem.

Start poppin' those main board ancient grudges :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom