• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

AW SHIT MY CARDS ARE HERE BROS

and yeah I forgot that all the eldrazi stuff is supposed to be devoid now, so maybe the new colored mana is a way around that?

I guess we'll see a new Inquisition that's more reprintable then.

duxstar

All of these decks are the same jesus christ

Dark Jeskai
Esper Tokens
Grixis Green
5 color bring to light
Temur Black

They are the same decks ....... with slight variations

Standard has become who lands their jace and keeps it

I haven't seen an exciting game of magic today

Yeef

Simply put, they need to really annualize Modern Masters. It'd alleviate all this nonsense. Print Inquisition there. Fetches can go into standard when it's not 4 color Christmas land the set. Or, into MM.
I don't that that's something they can do, logistically. They said that it takes them 18 months just to get the MM GP's organized.

I don't know how well the Modern Event Deck did (probably not very), but a product that could help to get Modern staples into the wild during the off-year definitely needs to be a priority.

Just a played a Chaos Draft, opened a booster that had a foil Phyrexian Revoker and a Sword of Feast and Famine, also opened a Courser and the MM2 pack had a Clique.
Good value I'd say.
Edit also pick up a Mishra's Bauble, cause I just found out it's worth something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My holiday gift box wasn't too bad for something I bought because I like how the box fits on my shelf.

Canopy Vista, Sunken Hollow, Painful Truths, Kiora, Sire of Stagnation.

All of these decks are the same jesus christ

Dark Jeskai
Esper Tokens
Grixis Green
5 color bring to light
Temur Black

They are the same decks ....... with slight variations

Standard has become who lands their jace and keeps it

I haven't seen an exciting game of magic today
Yup. BfZ was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

Ashodin

I'm ready for more badass Allies. I love my Modern Ally deck, but I need more for a standard funtime.

Even got a foil Ally Encampment!

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I don't know how well the Modern Event Deck did (probably not very), but a product that could help to get Modern staples into the wild during the off-year definitely needs to be a priority.

If they don't announce one in January, don't expect one again. I could see them printing Affinity sans Mox Opals because it forces people to buy them and doesn't disrupt prices in any other deck.

TFW you play a 2 hour game of Commander on MODO and lose because a card is bugged.
It wasn't even some weird interaction; Scourge of the Throne just didn't bother to give me the extra combat steps I needed. I got the Dethrone trigger, but not the extra combat trigger smh.

Jhriad

SFM is a super safe unban and has been for quite a while. SFM without Jitte isn't broken.

Except, as has already been mentioned, it would limit future Equipment design possibilities. It might be okay in the current Modern environment but it's more an issue of Modern going forward that keeps it on the ban list.

Simply put, they need to really annualize Modern Masters. It'd alleviate all this nonsense. Print Inquisition there. Fetches can go into standard when it's not 4 color Christmas land the set. Or, into MM.

They wouldn't need to annualize MM if they focused on putting more Modern staples in whatever set (Conspiracy) was in that slot in the off years. Either that or do what a number of folks have been saying for a while now and put out a Modern Event Deck around Modern season in the off years that is a starter kit for one of the many decks in the format. Put those out at a more reasonable price, say $50, and make them unlimited print runs with a timed window like the original Modern Event Deck. The original Event Deck sat around for the longest time because the price of the deck was too high as an entry point to the format and wasn't attractive enough to piece out unless you got it well below retail. I was still seeing untouched 6-packs of those Event Decks for below MSRP over a year after they had been released. Why are Uncommons that were two and three-ofs in that deck, a product that if I remember correctly was an on-demand (not limited) print run, getting out of control? They priced themselves out of the market and so the number of printings required to meet demand at that price was pretty low.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You know what else is a safe unban? Shaharazad. Just scoop the subgame if you don't want to play it.

Angry Grimace

Actual Dubious cards on the Modern Banned List:

Ancestral Visions
Bloodbraid Elf
Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Comedy options:

Punishing Fire
Cloudpost

Anyone else seen the judge call between Seth and Ken on the TCGplayer tournament?

It was pretty funny how both of them started calling for the judge and imo Seth made a clear misplay. His opponent could have been courteous and let him take it back but it was a possibly chances to get into top 8 or out situation so I doubt many would have.

FK3t4Ch.jpg

No translation yet but Mina & Denn is the name and Elf Ally the type

Edit: You may play an additional land during each of your turns.
RG, Return a land you control to its owner's hand; Target creature gains trample until end of turn

Angry Grimace

Anyone else seen the judge call between Seth and Ken on the TCGplayer tournament?

It was pretty funny how both of them started calling for the judge and imo Seth made a clear misplay. His opponent could have been courteous and let him take it back but it was a possibly chances to get into top 8 or out situation so I doubt many would have.

No translation yet but Mina & Denn is the name and Elf Ally the type

Edit: You may play an additional land during each of your turns.
RG, Return a land you control to its owner's hand; Target creature gains trample until end of turn

Moves I let people take back: 1) forgot to use planeswalker, 2) tapped the wrong mana colors

red13th

Six cards that produce colourless mana in my cube. Mutavault, Academy Ruins, Everflowing Chalice, Mind Stone, Hedron Archive and Prismatic Lens. Now I need those to be reprinted with the new mana symbol. :/
EDIT: eh forgot about Tec Edge but I kind of want to take it out. So 7 cards.

wellthereitis.gif

New art and foil, which means that it's almost certainly real. <> is one colorless mana, and it's nice to finally know that for sure.

Mina and Denn looks pretty good, too.

Yeef

The filterlands are great cube cards and see fringe constructed play. As pretty as the expeditions are, they really need a proper reprint.

Jhriad

If Manlands are the other, that means that the Tangolands aren't being finished in OGW, right?

That's assuming that we get the full cycle of Manlands. I'd find it odd that they would put out Expeditions for the first half of the Tangoland cycle and not the rest, whenever those show up. It could work like:

10 Filterlands
5 Scars Taplands / Urzatron + Some combination of CoS/Grove/Horizon Canopy/Mutavault/Inkmoth
5 Tangolands

Manlands do seem like they'd be a good bit more likely though. Maybe they're intending to do the Expedition lottery again whenever the rest of the Tangolands appear.

Angry Grimace

uh modern?

cascade bluffs and flooded grove are $20 cards

They're like one-ofs in a lot of decks. In fairness, most of the Shocklands are 2 ofs, its only the fetches that people are jamming playsets of.

Also I don't get why any of you had even a shred of hope that they were printing the Enemy Duals in this set.

After looking at this Yu-Gi-Oh thread, I'm sad that Magic will never have exhibition matches like this one. The yelling of what the cards do actually did help me follow the match a lot, despite never playing the game.

That looks almost as stupid as wrestling. Thankfully YuGiOh was only a phase of mine. And yes I'm fun at parties.

They're like one-ofs in a lot of decks. In fairness, most of the Shocklands are 2 ofs, its only the fetches that people are jamming playsets of.

Also I don't get why any of you had even a shred of hope that they were printing the Enemy Duals in this set.
Unfinished cycles urgh

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif

I mean can the mana really get any worse?

Angry Grimace

The Scars Fastlands don't have enemy cards and those see quite a bit of play in Modern whereas BFZ duals see play in Standard and I guess Commander. It's actual stupid that Scars Fastlands don't have enemy versions.

Yeah that's dumb but that doesn't make another unfinished cycle more palatable. Especially since the tango lands are pretty nice for people starting out or jut playing casually and having a bunch of basics still.

Oh yeah the Mystic Gate might be fake the art was released prior.

CNw_nkoWwAAWJUl.jpg

ironmang

Except, as has already been mentioned, it would limit future Equipment design possibilities. It might be okay in the current Modern environment but it's more an issue of Modern going forward that keeps it on the ban list.

So? It's not like Pod where creatures were the problem and siege rhinos of the world set it over the edge. They barely even print equipment and it's unlikely we'll see much better than what's already available. Only risk is some ridiculous high cmc, low equip busted equipment being printed but that's assuming something like that is in the works. I think shaking up the format a little is worth limiting some hypothetical future busted-with-SFM equipment.

Angry Grimace

Yeah that's dumb but that doesn't make another unfinished cycle more palatable. Especially since the tango lands are pretty nice for people starting out or jut playing casually and having a bunch of basics still.

Oh yeah the Mystic Gate might be fake the art was released prior.

CNw_nkoWwAAWJUl.jpg

It's not fake; it's a foil with a hologram. It is real.

It's still super crazy to me that they didn't do this in the first set of the block. You'll be drafting <> alongside (1).

Yeah, on the one hand it makes sense to do it this way to keep the secret (it'd be super obvious what was up if you launched this in BFZ)
but it really is just super weird looking and jarring nonetheless.

I'm really glad the only split land cycle

Unfinished cycles urgh

After the original duals in Alpha, it took until Ravnica for a single block to have a full 10-card cycle of duals. The only blocks that ever
had a full cycle like this are Ravnica, Shadowmoor, Return To Ravnica, Theros, and Khans -- i.e. four of the five are explicitly multicolor blocks. Time to get used to having a lot of ally-only dual land cycles sitting around. :p

It's actual stupid that Scars Fastlands don't have enemy versions.

Well, Innistrad gave us the enemy versions of an existing ally-only cycle last time, so....

Angry Grimace

Yeah, on the one hand it makes sense to do it this way to keep the secret (it'd be super obvious what was up if you launched this in BFZ)
but it really is just super weird looking and jarring nonetheless.

I'm really glad the only split land cycle

After the original duals in Alpha, it took until Ravnica for a single block to have a full 10-card cycle of duals. The only blocks that ever
had a full cycle like this are Ravnica, Shadowmoor, Return To Ravnica, Theros, and Khans -- i.e. four of the five are explicitly multicolor blocks. Time to get used to having a lot of ally-only dual land cycles sitting around. :p

Well, Innistrad gave us the enemy versions of an existing ally-only cycle last time, so....
Khans? It only had 5 fetchlands.

y2dvd

Blah, got 2nd at a SCG IQ GPT. I have weird bad luck. One game I mull down to 4 with nothing but lands in hand. Scryed away a land to the bottom, proceeded to draw 5 more lands. The next I had to go up against Coastal Discovery, 2 Ruinous Paths, and a Sire of Stagnation. I'm not saying MtG is all luck but jeebus!

This is like my 5th time getting 2nd place. One day I'll take it all. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom