• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow those are just some trash rares. Why redo a mechanic like sunburst exactly? Pretty sure Engineered Explosives is the only card that sees play and that's because of its power level. Don't remember anyone ever being "man I hope they revisit this mechanic one day."

Other than the fact that converge is more flexible than sunburst, which only puts counters on permanents, it also doesn't have a name that is thematically tied to Mirrodin and its five suns.

Socat

Small note?

titanspresence.jpg

Why doesn't this say Devoid?

no colored mana in the cost

Crocodile

But we won't, because they're not doing this with the spring block. Could actually work out pretty well -- what should be guaranteed to be a good draft set every fall (seriously every Lauer lead is a fantastic draft set) and a chance for some new talent to spread its wings in the spring.

We know who the lead designer and developer is for the Spring Block? Maro & Lauer are only doing the Fall Large Set?

Because Fifth Dawn worked so well the last time we did 5 colors in a colorless set.

5th Dawn was clearly a case of "oh shit we screwed up with Affinity, we have to make a had U turn for the mechanics of this set". Not a surprise something like Sunburst ended up undercooked.

Wow those are just some trash rares. Why redo a mechanic like sunburst exactly? Pretty sure Engineered Explosives is the only card that sees play and that's because of its power level. Don't remember anyone ever being "man I hope they revisit this mechanic one day."

Etched Oracle is a pretty sweet card too. Also they just recently redid Chroma as Devotion and turned a forgettable mechanic into a Standard powerhouse and fringe Modern player. There's certainly value in trying a new twist on an old idea.

Jhriad

Why redo a mechanic like sunburst exactly?

Because the Fetches plus Tangolands means decks will be able to play more colors without a massive penalty to their mana base. 4 Color decks, potentially even 5 Color decks if you splash lightly, will be considerably easier to run now. Plus it fits thematically with the Zendikari mana & allies vs. Colorless Eldrazi bit. Of course, most of the converge cards I've seen so far have been either mediocre or dogshit for constructed but maybe we'll see more playable ones.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's impossible to know it a set is good for drafting until you get the whole spoiler.

If this ends up sucking, well it's taking after the original set then.

Because the Fetches plus Tangolands means decks will be able to play more colors without a massive penalty to their mana base. 4 Color decks, potentially even 5 Color decks if you splash lightly, will be considerably easier to run now. Plus it fits thematically with the Zendikari mana & allies vs. Colorless Eldrazi bit. Of course, most of the converge cards I've seen so far have been either mediocre or dogshit for constructed but maybe we'll see more playable ones.
All of the payoff cards for Converge suck though. There's no actual reason to go 5C.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The original Zendikar was a blast to draft. Sorry that you didn't enjoy it.

draft Steppe Lynx, Plated geopede, etc., play a land for landfall +2/+2, attack on your turn and then just race with your opponent doing the same thing.

What if Converge is the primary mechanic of Oath and they're just sprinkling it into this set?

Also what if this is a thing:

Eldrazi Temple 2

T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast colorless spells.

kirblar

The original Zendikar was a blast to draft. Sorry that you didn't enjoy it.
ZZW was good because Worldwake was clearly designed to slow the format down. ZZZ was just "I have an 8 drop rare? Put it in my aggro deck!" for deckbuilding, which is just dumb.

Angry Grimace

What if Converge is the primary mechanic of Oath and they're just sprinkling it into this set?

Also what if this is a thing:

There's already an Eldrazi temple and its way too powerful to print in this set

Matriox

en_CxMQTpVtT3.png

So this one was predicted by that weird MTGsalvation post, except it left out that last line of text. Really like the art.
en_WCk4QzMZNS.png

Not a fan of this one. But big red could be pretty cool, I just don't like it more than thunderbreak regent.
en_CTICVAp41K.png

Big fan of this one.

Angry Grimace

Awakening Zone 2 seems quite good. Brutal Expulsion seems very good to me. You can get half a Remand plus a Magma Spray.

Akoum Firebird continues the Red Mythic trend.

hort

Neo Member
Brutal expulsion seems pretty good if you are able to use both modes.

Edit: I just realized I was reading this wrong. I thought it was return spell or creature from a graveyard. As it is it can effectively counter a spell on the stack, right? That still seems pretty ok to me.

OnPoint

en_CxMQTpVtT3.png

So this one was predicted by that weird MTGsalvation post, except it left out that last line of text. Really like the art.
en_CTICVAp41K.png

Big fan of this one.
The first card implies it can get Eldrazi cards that aren't just creature type Eldrazi, right?

The second card, I like that it's a counter/bounce, and/or creature/PW burn spell. It's actually quite versatile.

Yeef

Brutal Explosion is a cool design. It's very reminiscent of Winterflame, which I always thought was a cool card.

Angry Grimace

LSV's sample deck list forgot to take Stormbreath Dragon out. You have to play Sarkhan now :(

Angry Grimace

not to mention the stokes, rabblemasters and the temples

I guess you just gotta play Monastery Mentor and Manlands!

I like this quote:

"We knew that Zendikar was about land, and that we would need landfall back. But we wanted to do it in a way that felt different than the first time and wouldn't make Standard be all about landfall for eighteen months straight. To solve this, the first thing we did when we knew we were going back to Zendikar was to place the fetch lands in a set that was far enough away that they would not overlap in Standard for the entire lifespan of Battle for Zendikar."

<-----already owns 4 Scalding Tarn wassup

Angry Grimace

as the deck goes from bad to worse lol

Mentor doesn't really do all that much compared to Rabblemaster in a deck that isn't specially built for him, true, but Manlands are better than Temples by any reasonable metric.

I mean, until we find out the R/W AND U/R manlands are in OGW.

Daedardus

From Beyond has some pretty badass art. Brutal Expulsion is quite costly to be Modern playable, but that's what you get for being versatile and colorless.

Matriox

I guess you just gotta play Monastery Mentor and Manlands!

I like this quote:

"We knew that Zendikar was about land, and that we would need landfall back. But we wanted to do it in a way that felt different than the first time and wouldn't make Standard be all about landfall for eighteen months straight. To solve this, the first thing we did when we knew we were going back to Zendikar was to place the fetch lands in a set that was far enough away that they would not overlap in Standard for the entire lifespan of Battle for Zendikar."

<-----already owns 4 Scalding Tarn wassup

This confirms no fetchlands in oath right? Interesting..

Well I could also read that as they didn't want the 10 fetches to overlap, not just fetches in general.

Firemind

From Beyond has some pretty badass art. Brutal Expulsion is quite costly to be Modern playable, but that's what you get for being versatile and colorless.
Modern isn't the first thing that pops into my head. I mean, it has actual Remand and Cryptic Command.

Angry Grimace

This confirms no fetchlands in oath right? Interesting..

Well I could also read that as they didn't want the 10 fetches to overlap, not just fetches in general.

It pretty much confirms there aren't any in "Tears" either. I don't think that second interpretation really works given the article straight up said he didn't want Landfall to be good in standard for BFZ's entire life.

Yeef

I mean, until we find out the R/W AND U/R manlands are in OGW.
It seems like the R/W land will be the final one in BFZ. It sets it up so that every color is represented in the large set and they already showed off what looks like the art for it (Bull Plateau).

kirblar

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/challenges-revisiting-sets-2015-09-11
Mark Rosewater quickly hit upon colorlessness to be the "thing" to define the Eldrazi this time, and we went forward with it, creating the devoid mechanic as a way to make the Eldrazi feel like a cohesive group of characters, even if they were inscrutabl
Yes, Mark, they are colorless. This is not new, nor is it a thing that can actually connect them mechanically.

Soonest we'd see the fetches is next Fall.

Yeef

I think it'd be amusing if we got the enemy slow fetches (Bad River, Rocky Tar Pit, etc.) at uncommon in BFZ. Can't imagine them actually doing that though.

duxstar

From beyond is constructed playable , and also has my mind racing about a deck I thought was dead after rotation but could be even stronger. That deck is Constellation/Enchantments

Sure you lose Courser and Blossoms, but now we have Stasis Snare, From Beyond, Mastery of the Unseen, Evolutionary Leap, Starfield of Nyx, Herald of the Pantheon, and Sigil of the empty throne, and even things like the Retreat cycle out of the sideboard.

The deck is great at stalling the game, and the type of deck that could easily support 3 - 5 Eldrazi finishers like Ulamog, Desolation Twin, or Void Winnower.

Angry Grimace

I guess I have 4 Marsh Flats and 4 Scalding Tarns, but I don't own any of the other ones *shrug*.

The only 2 modern decks I have are BW Tokens and Grixis Twin, so I don't really need any of the other ones.

From beyond is constructed playable , and also has my mind racing about a deck I thought was dead after rotation but could be even stronger. That deck is Constellation/Enchantments

Sure you lose Courser and Blossoms, but now we have Stasis Snare, From Beyond, Mastery of the Unseen, Evolutionary Leap, Starfield of Nyx, Herald of the Pantheon, and Sigil of the empty throne, and even things like the Retreat cycle out of the sideboard.

The deck is great at stalling the game, and the type of deck that could easily support 3 - 5 Eldrazi finishers like Ulamog, Desolation Twin, or Void Winnower.

It doesn't auto-lose to Stormbreath Dragon anymore, I guess. Losing Courser and Eidolon is probably too big to overcome though.

Socat

I guess I have 4 Marsh Flats and 4 Scalding Tarns, but I don't own any of the other ones *shrug*.

The only 2 modern decks I have are BW Tokens and Grixis Twin, so I don't really need any of the other ones.

It doesn't auto-lose to Stormbreath Dragon anymore, I guess. Losing Courser and Eidolon is probably too big to overcome though.

I still need 3 marsh flats and a set of catacombs :(

duxstar

I guess I should make a disclaimer that all deck ideas I have are not actually good and just thoughts till I see how they do out in the real world lol. Hell I don't even know what the new Meta will even look like , Chapin made some great points on his podcast about how good the mana base is and that decks like Naya can have 3 untapped lands turns 1 - 3 that can produce any type of Color you need.

I recommend anyone listen to it, he argues that scythe leopard could be better than Steppe Lynx, and I see his point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom