• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/challenges-revisiting-sets-2015-09-11

Yes, Mark, they are colorless. This is not new, nor is it a thing that can actually connect them mechanically.

Soonest we'd see the fetches is next Fall.

They are aware the game has these things called artifacts right?

And that they have already screwed up the design space for them and enchantments by making them coloured?

I really don't understand how they got to this point with the Eldrazi. It seems utterly contrary to everything they have been saying the last few years about mechanics following emotion - devoid means *nothing*. It has zero emotional resonance. The game already has colourless cards aplenty, it has since year one. Mechanics have resonance when they mean something - devoid is completely parasitic, and has little effect outside of this block.

Reishiki

Banned
Calling it now, the Eldrazi are just super-evolved Phyrexians FROM THE FUTURE.

Just waiting for Nicol Bolas, Terminator to get printed now.

Jhriad

en_WCk4QzMZNS.png

Oh goodie, another stupid mythic phoenix. WotC continues to be bereft of new Red mythic ideas it seems.

"We knew that Zendikar was about land, and that we would need landfall back. But we wanted to do it in a way that felt different than the first time and wouldn't make Standard be all about landfall for eighteen months straight. To solve this, the first thing we did when we knew we were going back to Zendikar was to place the fetch lands in a set that was far enough away that they would not overlap in Standard for the entire lifespan of Battle for Zendikar."

So no reprint of the other five while BFZ is in Standard. I'm sure absolutely no one is displeased. Meanwhile, still no Modern relevant reprints have been revealed for BFZ. The next Modern season is going to be entertaining as the speculation and price spikes go wild.

Latest Developments - Akoum Firebird
Kind of boring, though probably Constructed playable. Looking through existing phoenixes, this is actually the first one that can be put on the battlefield during an opponent's turn, albeit only if you use a fetchland or otherwise get a land onto the battlefield that turn.

Brutal Commands - Brutal Expulsion
This is pretty neat.

One (Attack) Step Beyond - From Beyond
I was bored when this was partially leaked earlier, but that last part makes all the difference. It is now a cool card. As for why it specifies Eldrazi instead of Eldrazi creatures, it's probably so it can work with the tribal spells from Rise of the Eldrazi. They aren't going to make any new tribal type spells.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is the weirdest video. Its the 1999 Pro Tour finals and they are playing unsleeved duals and riffle shuffling them and Randy Buehler is doing commentary and for some reason has a gallery that laughs at all his bad jokes like a sitcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMei_cxSC0c

This is the weirdest video. Its the 1999 Pro Tour finals and they are playing unsleeved duals and riffle shuffling them and Randy Buehler is doing commentary and for some reason has a gallery that laughs at all his bad jokes like a sitcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMei_cxSC0c

The games are pretty sweet, though. I watched this a little while ago- Love the sleeveless cards.

PS: Have we addressed this statement from SCG?

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/c...rmed_only_first_wave_of_fatpacks_will/cuwqnsp

BenBleiweiss (SCG) said:
Well, given that Fat Packs only have one printing, the first and only wave of Fat Packs will have Full-Art Lands ;)

I know we talked about the fact that we shouldn't worry about supply. Obvs this isn't a WOTC source, but still.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I feel like they are previewing this set in a really bizarre way.

They haven't spoiled enough Allies or build-around Eldrazi (i.e. Processors) to make either of those an interesting choice to brew up cool decks with. Its not making me particularly excited about deck building, its mostly making me ask "does this go in Abzan" or "how does this interact with Hangarback Walker?" which I don't think is the goal of a 2-week preview period.

Angry Grimace

Normally fat packs don't have a lot of pressure on them- they're inefficient. Because of the land, suddenly they're more cost-efficient.

Exactly: even if they print them to demand, the demand doesn't actually exist.

Yeef

I can confirm that Fat Packs are typically not available for the life of the set. Typically by like a month or two out they're no longer available. Booster boxes are typically available until about 4 to 6 months before they rotate out of standard.

Angry Grimace

I can confirm that Fat Packs are typically not available for the life of the set. Typically by like a month or two out they're no longer available. Booster boxes are typically available until about 4 to 6 months before they rotate out of standard.

If people were *actually* buying all the fat packs out on Day 1, it might be different though.

Daedardus

Normally fat packs don't have a lot of pressure on them- they're inefficient. Because of the land, suddenly they're more cost-efficient.

There's still some demand here in Europe, but it's more for the dice and the box. It might be because the price difference between 9 boosters and a fat pack is smaller too. New players like them at least, at they get sold at a steady state at my LGS.

kirblar

There's still some demand here in Europe, but it's more for the dice and the box. It might be because the price difference between 9 boosters and a fat pack is smaller too. New players like them at least, at they get sold at a steady state at my LGS.
Yeah, there's a known audience for them that they can estimate normally.

This year they're going to have way more people looking to get them.

I, on the other hand, will just sit back and enjoy my OG Zen full art lands without the ugly ass bottom frames.

Angry Grimace

I just ordered 2 of them for the same price I always pay at Target (I always get at least one) I'm probably going to sell the second one later on though since some idiot will buy it for twice what I paid for it in a year's time. (I'm lying, sealed product laying around my house isn't an actual thing that will remain unopened).

The thing is, I don't even care about full-art land...I play with Beta basics because those are strictly the best.

OnPoint

My lady and I often buy a Fat Pack, lately we've been doing that instead of a booster box, even. This time maybe we'll pick up two.

Matriox

If people were *actually* buying all the fat packs out on Day 1, it might be different though.

I would normally agree with this.. but my LGS was sold out preorders of fat packs the day we were told about the full art lands. One guy is buying all 35 of his allotment.

This is a very extreme case.

Daedardus

Yeah, there's a known audience for them that they can estimate normally.

This year they're going to have way more people looking to get them.

I, on the other hand, will just sit back and enjoy my OG Zen full art lands without the ugly ass bottom frames.

The frame has actually grown on me. But how can you say no to the Noah Bradley lands? I think the art of these is better than the ones from Zendikar.

Yeef

That's true. If I recall correctly, the Theros Fat packs were re-issued a few months after they were no longer available, which was weird. Typically the lead set fat packs run out of supply in short order, but the later set ones don't. Both Fate Reforged and Dragons of Tarkir fat packs are still available, but Khans packs are not.

Angry Grimace

I mean, let's be fair, you still get 36 Full-art lands in a box and way better value on everything else.

In Vancouver, I know already that all my local stores will be sold out and (now) remain that way or be marked up to the point where I'm not interested. I was looking forward to picking up one or two.

duxstar

I feel like they are previewing this set in a really bizarre way.

They haven't spoiled enough Allies or build-around Eldrazi (i.e. Processors) to make either of those an interesting choice to brew up cool decks with. Its not making me particularly excited about deck building, its mostly making me ask "does this go in Abzan" or "how does this interact with Hangarback Walker?" which I don't think is the goal of a 2-week preview period.

This is exactly how I feel right now , No real allies beyond Gideon really feeling "pushed" for standard and none of the eldrazi seem like cards I want to build a deck around other than for their size which does nothing to make me excited about brewing.

I'm hoping that they fill in the gaps and they are just holding back , which doesn't make sense to me, I feel like I should see what they are going for a little bit at this point

Socat

This is exactly how I feel right now , No real allies beyond Gideon really feeling "pushed" for standard and none of the eldrazi seem like cards I want to build a deck around other than for their size which does nothing to make me excited about brewing.

I'm hoping that they fill in the gaps and they are just holding back , which doesn't make sense to me, I feel like I should see what they are going for a little bit at this point

Still two weeks before prereleases, they will unload in the next week so that the full spoiler is available for the week leading up to prerelease tourneys

Angry Grimace

Still two weeks before prereleases, they will unload in the next week so that the full spoiler is available for the week leading up to prerelease tourneys

Normally they show you the build-around stuff and show you how the mechanics will actually work in the first week. This time they're showing us singular cards that sort of work-well with Hangarback Walker.

Everlasting Gobstopper Naturalize forever
sigmasonicx asked: Felidar Sovereign has the same art as its original printing, despite this being a new expert expansion. Is this something we should expect more of in the future, now that core sets are gone?

Yes, one of the things we realized with the core set leaving was there was no longer a way for us to reprint cards with art we liked. So we decided that if the old art makes sense in the creative of the world it’s being reprinted in that we will start giving ourselves the option of reusing the art.

Despite the number of gold cards, this is considered to be the new "low"
friendrock asked: BFZ seems to have a lot of multicolor cards (8 gold cards at rare so far) for a not-multicolor set. Intentional?

We have moved away from the world where sets have zero (or almost zero) gold cards. The multicolor in Battle for Zendikar is low as-fan but we use them where they make sense.

Daedardus

I think they had no idea what they were doing when they made BFZ. It takes all the good things from Zendikar and threw them out. The full art basics are the only redeeming part of the set until now. The set feels like it has no soul, maybe that's what they were aiming for, to mimic the Eldrazi? Only thing that will make sure this will get opened a lot are the Expeditions.

I guess it's the power pendulum at work though, but that doesn't make up for the fact that mechanically the set isn't very interesting.

Yeef

That phoenix seems like a waste of a mythic slot.
Just like the one in from Born of the Gods! I feel like Flamewake Phoenix and Ashcould Phoenix are just better. They both seem a lot easier to reanimate and a lot more flexible. The new phoenix either needed a cheaper trigger cost or an ETB ability, I think.

OnPoint

Change "the phoenix" to "every red mythic that isn't a hasty dragon"

Bonfire was cool.

But I can't recall the last non-Dragon, non-Bonfire good red mythic. Chandra Pyromaster was good then embarrassed by a normal rare a few sets later. Sarkhan in Khans was decent? But let's be honest, he's a dragon.

Sure wasn't Tibalt, but even he was pre-Bonfire, so even if he was good, he wouldn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom