• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Kozilek's Return is a mythic? Ugh why? Those are the exact sorts of utlity cards that push the costs of Standard up when put in that rarity!

Just for limited - means they didn't want the lifegain for whatever reason.

I mean strictly worse cards aren't new but these are clearly supposed to be important cards in the limited format. Cards like these reinforce that retail booster draft is a cripple fight format and its kind of annoying. Couldn't they have at least added a "Tap to add {C}" option?

Yeef

Also, this is just reading between the lines a little bit here, but dang, Zendikar is hella toast.
I don't think so. Odds are Kozilek was to be the second set "throw rocks at them" moment, then the third set would be the "get them down" moment. With the block structure change, we'll probably see both happening in Oath.

Still looking for a translation on that Russian land, though...
[Edit] Nevermind.

noquarter

Some nice Expeditions in this set. Some crap as well, but whatever, just means I know that I'll be lucky and open a damn Eye of Ugin.

Also liking Holdout Settlement, {C} or Springleaf Drum is pretty nice. Sort of getting excited for Oath and thinking of preordering a box or two.

I don't think so. Odds are Kozilek was to be the second set "throw rocks at them" moment, then the third set would be the "get them down" moment. With the block structure change, we'll probably see both happening in Oath.

I mean, I guess we'll see, but all the environmental storytelling in this set suggests a Zendikar that's FUBAR. There's only so much they can do to resolve this in a more positive direction in the space they have.

Yeef

I mean, I guess we'll see, but all the environmental storytelling in this set suggests a Zendikar that's FUBAR. There's only so much they can do to resolve this in a more positive direction in the space they have.
The name of the set makes it pretty clear that the heroes win out in the end. After a bunch of tribulations they either trap the Eldrazi or drive them off, then form their super-hero team based in Sea Gate (hence, Gatewatch). If it were any other way, the set would have a much more somber name like "Fall of Zendikar" or something along those lines. (Actually, probably exactly that name to mirror "Rise of the Eldrazi" because Wizards isn't usually very subtle with set names).

The biggest issue with Chandra is that it's one mana too much. At 5 Mana she'd be slammed in every Red Deck that could fit her, especially since on an empty board you'll get 6 points of damage in for free.

I'll have to see if there's any way I can tweak my current deck to be Ally based, because that 0 is perfect for my deck style where I'm ending up on all land hands in the late game. Pitch 3 lands, get 4 spells sounds good to me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't be the only one who finds it funny that Nissa's functional abilities are basically Gideon's abilities, but dramatically worse by way more than the 1 CMC difference would seemingly dictate.

Like, these are some seriously lame fucking Planeswalkers. Chandra's basically going to get used by annoying assholes who think its hilarious with Sphinx's Tutelage and Treasure Cruise.

Kozilek's Return was likely an issue at Rare for limited, its an absurd card.

It's an issue for everyone at everything because Ramp could be ridiculous now, because they're getting double board wipes while simultaneously casting Ulamog/Kozilek and oh hey it's simultaneously dumb in Tron, although let's be fair, you usually lose if they get any Eldrazi out to begin with.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
A great measure for those not real up on the power levels of cards. Go to Reddit and check out the reactions to spoilers on r/magictcg. If they go nuts about a card, you can bet your bottom dollar it'll be a dollar rare/mythic in no time. Also, see how many people say something to the effect of "Oh, wow this'll be nuts in my [insert legend here] deck. So hype."
The more comments like those you see, the worst the card will be.

G.ZZZ

Chandra is once again trash in most format except standard ramp i guess.

The new pyroclasm is possibly a chase mythic in modern, i'll probably preorder some if they start low.

The new taplands really needed a Tap for C. As they are it's yet another coastal tower cycle , worse than refuges, worse than Khan lands zzzz.

RW manland is incredibly bad.

Crumbling Vestige is a really nice design. Worse than Tendo's ice bridge but it has some sinergy with untap/bonuce effects, it's way clearer as a design, and it's a nice common fixer.

Drum lands are also really nice designs. I don't understand why so many fixers though.

The drawland is really good. Not sure where it can be played but the effect is really strong. I'll be trying it for sure.

The reprints are all nice. Too bad on who open Kor Haven LOL.

Demon is possibly modern staple. Self-mill + really good stats why not.

Firemind

Didn't people complain the new Kozilek doesn't affect the board? How about blowing everything up? Bye rhinos :lol

Still, I can't shake off how bad Menace is on Kozilek.

Anyway, buy Kiora now? She's only $5 atm lol

Kozilek's Return seems dope. Chandra is weird as. I have a hard time imagining that's what you want to be doing on turn six. Her 0 is really good though. Hmm. I don't know.

Nissa seems awful, awful.

That black vampire flyer seems blandly efficient.

Set looks very intriguing at this point.

red13th

Kalitas doesn't have Flying, he has Lifelink. I kind of like him, I think I'll cube him in place of Bloodline Keeper.

I wonder if the leaker will show more stuff, he probably has the whole set by now since he has all mythics and expeditions.

OnPoint

Didn't people complain the new Kozilek doesn't affect the board? How about blowing everything up? Bye rhinos :lol

What makes you think she'll go up? UG Ramp? Just the fact that she's a $5 PW?

Firemind

it's time for temur to shine, baby.

seriously, i can't see how ramping into ulamog/kozilek can be a bad thing now that you have 8 pyroclasms that only fills 4 slots. maybe coco is still better tho. really, i just want a reason to play sarkhan unbroken.

OnPoint

I hope you're right. I love the Ramp strategy in standard right now. I just don't see Sarkhan mattering though haha been wrong before though.

ultron87

Kozilek's Return having Devoid is actually super relevant. Means you can't Burrenton Forge-Tender it and stuff like Etched Champions can't survive it either. So there are very few things you can actually do to stop the "flashback". You need to remove the card from the graveyard, something that prevents all damage or like, a Voidslime.

Edit: Didn't even notice it was an Instant. Christ. My poor Inkmoths.

With Kozilek's Return, I wonder if "triggered flashback" effects like that could be a more consistent part of red's abilities. I could see a common card like:

Returning Rage - R
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1.
Whenever a creature you control attacks, if Returning Rage is in your graveyard, you may return Returning Rage to the battlefield attached to that creature. If you do, exile Returning Rage at the beginning of your next end step.

It's a shame I can't actually ask MaRo about this now, or the fact that Chandra gives red straight-up card draw.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's just a form of looting.

I just don't think she's very good. I really have no clue why Kiora is a ramp walker and Nissa, the "LANDS MATTER" walker, isn't. I guess Nissa's the walker that doesn't do anything at all.

y2dvd

Kozilek's Return will probably be more of a sb card for GR Eldrazis. You are either ramping up with mana dorks or tapping out mana to mana ramp, not making KR so ideal game 1. Dang that deck is getting some love though and I love it as it's the only fun deck I like playing in standards atm lol

kirblar

Outpost Siege is "temporary card draw", while this is straight up card drawing for one player only, which red has never done before.
Stop being pedantic, it's +1 CA added to a Wheel of Fortune effect, which is completely in Red's color pie- WoF has always put you at -CA in the past, which is a big reason its been part of Red's "useless pie" like rituals.

Firemind

Image.ashx

Angry Grimace

This isn't a particularly crazy expansion of Red's color pie, guys.

You have to discard your hand to get one card. It's the same bullshit as Avaricious Dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom