• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is there a Rosewater post/tweet/blogatog on what exactly colorless's part of the color pie, now that it is a defined color in its own right effectively, is? (Outside artifact synergy) This is basically purple, so I'm curious how they've found the room to give it stuff.
The answer is it's not now a color in its own right

No fucking way they make one of them Wasteland

It would be the missed opportunity of a lifetime if they don't.

On topic: If they do an expedition Inkmoth, I may actually buy into them. They'd be super sweet for my totally never getting banhammered modern deck.

Can't do Inkmoth, it's setting-specific.

In terms of other lands they could do that are rare, aren't reserved, aren't part of a cycle, and can fit creatively, even at a stretch, into Zendikar:

Cathedral of War
Cavern of Souls
Crystal Quarry
Deserted Temple
Dust Bowl
Eldrazi Temple
Exotic Orchard
Eye of Ugin

Forsaken City
Gemstone Caverns
Grand Coliseum
High Market
Mana Confluence
Petrified Field
Reflecting Pool
Sanctum of Ugin
Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
Wasteland

They could also easily break up the rare land cycle from ZEN (Valakut etc.) although I couldn't think of any other cycles that would qualify and could be sensibly split the same way.

Anything I'm forgetting?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It would be the missed opportunity of a lifetime if they don't.

In terms of other lands they could do that are rare, aren't reserved, aren't part of a cycle, and can fit creatively, even at a stretch, into Zendikar:

Cathedral of War
Cavern of Souls
Crystal Quarry
Deserted Temple
Dust Bowl
Eldrazi Temple
Exotic Orchard
Eye of Ugin

Forsaken City
Gemstone Caverns
Grand Coliseum
High Market
Mana Confluence
Petrified Field
Reflecting Pool
Sanctum of Ugin
Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
Wasteland

They could also easily break up the rare land cycle from ZEN (Valakut etc.) although I couldn't think of any other cycles that would qualify and could be sensibly split the same way.

Anything I'm forgetting?
Horizon Canopy is technically from Dyson Sphere world but it's a pretty generic name.

Firemind

If they can do Hallowed Fountain, Watery Grave, Steam Vents, Sacred Foundry, Godless Shrine, freaking Breeding Pool in Zendikar, I'm pretty sure they can fit in Strip Mine, Mutavault, Gemstone Mine, Glimmervoid, Mana Confluence, Reflecting Pool.

If they can do Hallowed Fountain, Watery Grave, Steam Vents, Sacred Foundry, Godless Shrine, freaking Breeding Pool in Zendikar, I'm pretty sure they can fit in Strip Mine, Mutavault, Gemstone Mine, Glimmervoid, Mana Confluence, Reflecting Pool.

Glimmervoid is a specific named location in Mirrodin so it's out. Mutavault is something they reprinted in a core set specifically because they considered the flavor to be too specific to Lorwyn so I think it'd be unlikely here. Strip Mine's a flavor stretch at absolute best since the concept of a strip mine doesn't really seem to exist and it's not like anyone in the OGW timeframe is going out to dig stuff up. Gemstone Mine wasn't on my list because it's an uncommon but it would be a fine candidate anyway, sure. And I listed the last two!

Angry Grimace

Glimmervoid is a specific named location in Mirrodin so it's out. Mutavault is something they reprinted in a core set specifically because they considered the flavor to be too specific to Lorwyn so I think it'd be unlikely here. Strip Mine's a flavor stretch at absolute best since the concept of a strip mine doesn't really seem to exist and it's not like anyone in the OGW timeframe is going out to dig stuff up. Gemstone Mine wasn't on my list because it's an uncommon but it would be a fine candidate anyway, sure. And I listed the last two!

There's no reason to print Strip Mine anyways: it's banned in everything and costs like 2 bucks because it was an uncommon in Fourth Edition.

Angry Grimace

They could slip in a land from SOI among the expeditions as a preview.

There aren't any more previews until spoilers actually start in 3 weeks, they might have one as a Christmas/New Year's Surprise, but that's it.

I didn't realize that there are only 4 legal commanders with a colorless color identity in the entire history of Magic, and only one is a non-Eldrazi.

• Karn, Silver Golem
  • Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
  • Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
  • Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
And soon, Kozilek, the Great Distortion.

I suppose that colorless magic doesn't lend itself towards the unique personalities required of a legend.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";189082268]I didn't realize that there are only 4 legal commanders with a colorless color identity in the entire history of Magic, and only one is a non-Eldrazi.
[/QUOTE]

Looking at it I think it's pretty wonky that there are only six legendary artifact creatures in all of Magic, and of those two have colored abilities and the other three are actually colored artifacts.

Angry Grimace

Oath of the Gatewatch is the story of four planeswalkers - one green, one red, one blue, and one white making an Oath to fight the Eldrazi or some shit. There's no black planeswalker in the Oath.

The Oath Cycle from Exodus has 5 oaths, one green, one red, one blue, and one white and one black. The only one on the Reserved List is the black one.

Conclusion: Oath of Druids is in Oath of the Gatewatch.

Looking at it I think it's pretty wonky that there are only six legendary artifact creatures in all of Magic, and of those two have colored abilities and the other three are actually colored artifacts.
It's certainly strange, but it does make sense that artifice in general is something reproducible and thus hard to qualify for legendary status. We need more sentient masterpieces created by master artificers like Karn.

Maybe one of the artifacts Feldon created to try and replicate his dead wife?

Oath of the Gatewatch is the story of four planeswalkers - one green, one red, one blue, and one white making an Oath to fight the Eldrazi or some shit. There's no black planeswalker in the Oath.

The Oath Cycle from Exodus has 5 oaths, one green, one red, one blue, and one white and one black. The only one on the Reserved List is the black one.

Conclusion: Oath of Druids is in Oath of the Gatewatch.

That's just good sleuthing right there.

Angry Grimace

My guess is a bunch of people just went to look up whether Oath of Ghouls is really the only one of those cards on the Reserved list (it is)

Firemind

Good.

I don't know why anyone would want to make a colourless deck.

I guess she'd look something like this? I wanted to get the flavor of Feldon rebuilding her over and over to come across while still having some commander synergy(getting a discount on big colorless creatures etc).

14500484535387230ls9q.png

Originally I had her as 5 + 2 colorless phyrexian mana to cast(to show feldon's painful laboring), but cardmaker decided that that's a gold background and it looked weird.

Good.

I don't know why anyone would want to make a colourless deck.

My Karn EDH deck is super sweet. You just play tons of artifacts to lock down the table and win by animating mana rocks. Have you ever played Clock of Omens in an all-artifact deck? It's paradise.

On the other hand, Vandalblast just reads "scoop," so there is that downside.

Wulfric

Holy leak, is that stuff all legit? I find the Wasteland astonishing. That Chandra art is gorgeous as well. Another low CMC Nissa is a dream come true.

And who would have access to all these cards this early? WotC is gonna come down hard on this guy.

New art and no obvious templating problems, those are almost certainly real.

As a heads up, before people click the link, there are a ton of spoilers, mostly lands, but also the planeswalkers and some creatures.

red13th

it translates to something like Mindbreaker Demon, I think that's a new one.

EDIT: also, Geist in a Duel Deck is NICE. shame it's a foil!

EDIT2: Flying, Trample, when it etb mill the top 4 cards of your deck, can't read the rest.

Wulfric

I just noticed Geist of Saint Traft is the Duel Deck face card. Super sweet! Hopefully this means a reprint is in store for SoI and its not just for the Duel deck like Avenger of Zendikar in BFZ.

And Wasteland was probably going to be the Christmas spoiler... :/

New spoiler:
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
http://imgur.com/gallery/DfJHyBO

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hm, the value of the expeditions here seems a lot lower. I sort of wish they'd done something like save the shocks for set 2 and move some of these to BFZ instead of dumping all of those staples into the first set and giving us Eye of Ugin as an expedition in the second one

jph139

Wow, what a fucking mess if that's legit (and there's no reason to assume it's not) - when's the last time they had so much leak? New Phyrexia, right?

I actually like both Chandra and Nissa. Chandra is way too pricy to actually be worth anything in constructed, but all three abilities are cool.

traveler

Not Wario
Holy crap, SOI spoilers too?

Kozilek's Return seems pretty fantastic for rg ramp.
Chandra looks pretty solid outside of costing. I think 5 would have been fine here.
Not a big fan of Nissa, especially when we already have a great one at 3.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";189110948]Is it just me or is World Breaker kind of crazy? A self-reanimating cast trigger Acidic Slime with a 5/7 body?[/QUOTE]
There's a shit ton of good stuff for ramp in this set so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom