• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

I really liked the Black/White interaction in this week's UR. The needs of the few being contingent on the needs of the many, self-sacrifice being vital to self-preservation, the differing motivations for valuing others... the story put them all in dialogue very well.

New Drana is awesome - there has to be some sort of Abzan Ally janky deck you can pull together with a +1/+1 counter focus. The fact she's an Ally at all is a neat thematic touch.

I was always weirded out that we were supposed to feel sympathy for Radha, I gave 0 fucks about what happened with her.

Teferi and Venser were great though and I'm still pissed what they did to Venser. He was the OG nuWalker.

OnPoint

Drana's story is interesting to me for a few reasons

• We see some story from an Eldrazi point of view for the first time
  • The genesis of Zendikar vampires is interesting
  • Now we know the Eldrazi have a creators, a purpose, and destination
  • Drana learns of the multiverse. Maybe not important, but it could be significant

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eldrazi = Galactus

facepalm.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DRANATHOPTER!

2 Soulfire Grandmaster
4 Thopter Engineer
3 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
3 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
1 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
4 Hangarback Walker

2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

2 Gideon's Reproach
3 Lightning Strike
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Crackling Doom
1 Secure the Wastes

1 Outpost Siege

1 Foundry of the Consuls
1 Mortuary Mire
3 Shambling Vent
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Nomad Outpost
2 Smoldering Marsh
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Swamp
1 Mountain
2 Plains

The land base is really awkward for wedge mana though. I'm not really sure how to build it in a way you can reliably get or fetch white. I guess what GB did seems fine, you're probably right that you don't *actually* need 4 Smoldering Marsh and you have a ton of lifegain there.

OnPoint

The story didn't necessarily indicate that the Eldrazi were created by other beings.

Did I misread this?

You will consume. You will scour clean.

Tentacles erupted from her back and shoulders, living matter created instantaneously in the shape of her masters, her makers. We were made in the shadow of our makers.

You will consume. You will scour clean.

The italicized parts are from the Eldrazi point of view. I know that the vampires were made in the shadow of the Eldrazi, but the line "We were made in the shadow of our makers." did not come from Drana. It came from the Eldrazi pov.

It's something to think about.

Edit: actually the whole italic thing seems to go between both pov. Sometimes, it seems to just be her interpretation of it. Sometimes it's a more direct voice that isn't hers. Man, they should really write these better, what a mess upon further analysis.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";179019532]Here's where I'm at on the latter as the spoilers are unrolling:

Mardu Tokens

22 Creatures
  • 2 Soulfire Grandmaster
  • 4 Hangarback Walker
  • 4 Dragon Fodder
  • 4 Hordeling Outburst
  • 4 Monastery Mentor
  • 3 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
  • 1 Secure the Wastes

5 Planeswalkers
  • 3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
  • 2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

10 Spells
  • 2 Firey Impulse
  • 4 Exquisite Firecraft
  • 4 Crackling Doom

23 Lands
  • 1 Foundry of the Consuls
  • 1 Mortuary Mire
  • 3 Shambling Vent
  • 4 Caves of Koilos
  • 4 Nomad Outpost
  • 2 Smoldering Marsh
  • 4 Bloodstained Mire
  • 1 Swamp
  • 1 Mountain
  • 2 Plains

Sideboard
  • 4 Butcher of the Horde
  • 2 Duress
  • 1 Mardu Charm
  • 1 Hallowed Moonlight
  • 2 Outpost Siege
  • 3 Arc Lightning
  • 1 Erase
  • 1 Ruinous Path
[/QUOTE]

Making the list Mardu is a good idea, you're right. Crackling Doom went from best removal in the format to ridiculously best removal in the format. I don't like Mentor at all though in that deck. Mentor pretty much needs either Treasure Cruise, Jeskai Ascendancy or Outpost Siege to be a particularly good card. I think Pia and Kiran is probably just better if you're looking to play pump dudes. Kind of the same issue with Fiery Impulse, its less good than Wild Slash unless you can turn it on. I guess your plan is to just go with Goblin Makers for that? I don't know, I'm not terribly excited about being 100% all-in on tokens given the existence of Virulent Plague and Languish.

DRANATHOPTER!

2 Soulfire Grandmaster
4 Thopter Engineer
3 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
3 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
1 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
4 Hangarback Walker

2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

2 Gideon's Reproach
3 Lightning Strike
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Crackling Doom
1 Secure the Wastes

1 Outpost Siege

1 Foundry of the Consuls
1 Mortuary Mire
3 Shambling Vent
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Nomad Outpost
2 Smoldering Marsh
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Swamp
1 Mountain
2 Plains
Lightning Strike?

I don't like Mentor at all though in that deck. Mentor pretty much needs either Treasure Cruise, Jeskai Ascendancy or Outpost Siege to be a particularly good card.
I was torn between Mentor and Butcher, but I'd prefer to keep the mana curve down. At the same time, Mentor is a 5-drop a lot of the time so you can play Dragon Fodder or whatever to get value. Also, removal is getting a little worse and there's so many Anthem effects with Sorin, Gideon and Drana that I think it's worth it.

Kind of the same issue with Fiery Impulse, its less good than Wild Slash unless you can turn it on, and outside of some kind of deck that intentionally puts shit in the GY, that's not usually particularly easy.
I mean, half my creatures are sorceries so that helps a lot, and I think killing a Mantis Rider is probably more important than occasionally finishing off a planeswalker. Wild Slash recursion with Soulfire is nice, but I don't think it's more important than killing a 3-toughness creature.

duxstar

Dear wizards, i don't want to play mono black aggro, in fact i haven't met anyone that want's it to become a competitive tier 1 deck, stop trying to force it, and in the process making abzan the best deck at control AND being aggro.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";179029198]Lightning Strike?

I was torn between Mentor and Butcher, but I'd prefer to keep the mana curve down. At the same time, Mentor is a 5-drop a lot of the time so you can play Dragon Fodder or whatever to get value. Also, removal is getting a little worse and there's so many Anthem effects with Sorin, Gideon and Drana that I think it's worth it.

I mean, half my creatures are sorceries so that helps a lot, and I think killing a Mantis Rider is probably more important than occasionally finishing off a planeswalker. Wild Slash recursion with Soulfire is nice, but I don't think it's more important than killing a 3-toughness creature.[/QUOTE]

Its gonna get reprinted. I find it highly unlikely Lightning Strike is not in BFZ. And if it isn't, I'd just play Reproach because it can kill a swinging Anafenza.

I agree removal is worse, but there's still plenty of cheap Wild Slash, Fiery Impulse, type cards to blow your Mentor up without much value. I think at this point the deck to beat is still Abzan Control, which might be a tough match still if they're running enough Languish.

Its gonna get reprinted. I find it highly unlikely Lightning Strike is not in BFZ. And if it isn't, I'd just play Reproach because it can kill a swinging Anafenza.

I agree removal is worse, but there's still plenty of cheap Wild Slash, Fiery Impulse, type cards to blow your Mentor up without much value. I think at this point the deck to beat is still Abzan Control, which might be a tough match still if they're running enough Languish.

Ideally I'd just cut the Mentors and run another burn spell and Outpost Siege if a good one gets spoiled. I keep going back and forth on Seeker as well.

Angry Grimace

I mean, I don't think that's necessarily supposed to be a constructed card, its a payoff card for going Devoid in draft.

Angry Grimace

So the payoff for going colorless in draft is at rare?

No, but if you open that, its a pretty nice incentive to start drafting Devoid (most of which are just regular value creatures anyways, so its not like you're forcing a horrible strategy to begin with).

Setessan Tactic's was Instant speed, and applied to any creature you wanted, this only allows your colorless creatures to use it.

It costs more because it doesn't hit your own guys.

Welp.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see how often that shows up in constructed. Having to tap everything or almost everything down for a turn is a sizable drawback.

I expect that we'll see something like this:

Volcanic Strike - 1R
Sorcery
Volcanic Strike deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Awaken 3 - 5R

Surprisingly, looking it up, there has yet to be a creature with "When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, it deals 3 damage to target creature or player."

Angry Grimace

Volcanic Strike - 1R
Sorcery
Awaken 3 - 5R

Surprisingly, looking it up, there has yet to be a creature with "When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, it deals 3 damage to target creature or player."

that's because Flametongue Kavu is bullshit

OnPoint

Putting my idea cap on for a second. What color would a spell or effect like this be:

Unexpected Backlash(4)(X)

Instant

Until end of turn, creatures controlled by target
opponent gain Backlash
(when a creature with Backlash takes damage,
it deals that much damage to its controller)

My guess for that would be White (and it would be one hell of a combat trick). Could be cool if red had it too, as a sorcery, so as to prevent blocking. You could even design red creatures that force blocks to setup for it.

I would say it could be in black if it's on a cheaply costed creature, a la Juzam Djinn.

Hellfire Sadist (1)(B)(B)

Creature - Demon

Flying, Backlash

4/3​

I guess it would be a pretty Mardu mechanic (red and black using it for their own gain, white using it by turning it against others). I can't think of a way it would apply to blue or green.

Angry Grimace

Putting my idea cap on for a second. What color would a spell or effect like this be:

Instant

opponent gain Backlash

My guess for that would be White (and it would be one hell of a combat trick). Could be cool if red had it too, as a sorcery, so as to prevent blocking. You could even design red creatures that force blocks to setup for it.

I would say it could be in black if it's on a cheaply costed creature, a la Juzam Djinn.

Creature - Demon

Flying, Backlash

4/3​

I guess it would be a pretty Mardu mechanic (red and black using it for their own gain, white using it by turning it against others). I can't think of a way it would apply to blue or green.

They don't keyword drawbacks anymore. The effect is very red.

OnPoint

Standard, and probably something random. It's a local store tournament.

Cool man! Good luck! I hear Abzan is real good these days. Just rumors though...

They don't keyword drawbacks anymore. The effect is very red.

They should just make interesting drawbacks to keyword. They're way too concerned with making every card or ability "feel good". It's one of the things the NWO does not have right, in my view.

Angry Grimace

Cool man! Good luck! I hear Abzan is real good these days. Just rumors though...

They should just make interesting drawbacks to keyword. They're way too concerned with making every card or ability "feel good". It's one of the things the NWO does not have right, in my view.

It has nothing to do with NWO at all. NWO has nothing to do with anything other than complexity at common.

OnPoint

It has nothing to do with NWO at all. NWO has nothing to do with anything other than complexity at common.

My mistake. I was referring to NWO as more the overarching modern design style. I'll use it properly in the future.

I still think modern design conventions are a little too "RA RA POSITIVE!"

Ashodin

Yeah I don't have any hope of winning, just want to get in the swing of things.

Glad I caught your post on this.

The WotC forums may be, in my opinion, one of the most bungled fuckups in online community history.

Wizards.COMmunity was legitimately one of the most well-spoken, creative and friendly/well-moderated forums I can ever remember seeing on the Internet, let alone one I participated in. I was very active from 2002 to 2009 or so, when the company indisputably killed the community with its "Gleemax" brand restructure.

They changed the entire structure from a UBB/VBulletin-driven forum to a cheap MySpace knockoff where blogs were given focus over the ghetto-fied forums. When I say ghetto, I'm talking they were devolved to the point where GameFAQs looked like a state-of-the art hub.

Literally as soon as they changed the format to that monstrosity, folks left overnight. The D&D guys fled to enWorld, Giant in the Playground and Candlekeep; and the Magic crowd spread all across the web.

Makes me really sad what they did to those boards, but it's right for them to just shut down the ghost of what it was.

Instant

opponent gain Backlash

Creature - Demon

Flying, Backlash

4/3​

I don't think they would ever keyword this, but this mechanic is already present on some red creatures.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

There just isn't enough interesting about the mechanic to do more with it than a card every few sets; and usually the Boros Reckoner variation (when dealt damage, it deals that much damage to target creature or player) makes for a much more exciting card.

Angry Grimace

My mistake. I was referring to NWO as more the overarching modern design style. I'll use it properly in the future.

I still think modern design conventions are a little too "RA RA POSITIVE!"

Yeah, "NWO" actually has a specific design meaning w/r/t Magic cards.

Yeef

Volcanic Strike - 1R
Sorcery
Awaken 3 - 5R

?

114.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom