• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I don't think they would ever keyword this, but this mechanic is already present on some red creatures.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

It's funny because I didn't even consider it as a keyword at first -- I was just imagining it as a combat blowout trick. But as I moved forward, it proved to be the easiest way to template it. I was unable to word that drawback being granted to an opponent's creatures smoothly without a keyword.

Yeah, "NWO" actually has a specific design meaning w/r/t Magic cards.

Is there a term for the modern design style I'm unaware of, so I can use it in the future?

I don't think they would ever keyword this, but this mechanic is already present on some red creatures.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

There just isn't enough interesting about the mechanic to do more with it than a card every few sets; and usually the Boros Reckoner variation (when dealt damage, it deals that much damage to target creature or player) makes for a much more exciting card.

such trash, do ppl even play that shit lol

Socat

Btw, what were people's impressions of the Modern Super League on twitch last night? I thought most of the games were good except for Reid Duke's last game, and I was happy to see Ced win since he doesn't play much anymore. I wanted to see LSV pull off a win for combo, but I don't see him having much luck in the tournament.

Btw, what were people's impressions of the Modern Super League on twitch last night? I thought most of the games were good except for Reid Duke's last game, and I was happy to see Ced win since he doesn't play much anymore. I wanted to see LSV pull off a win for combo, but I don't see him having much luck in the tournament.

I watched the replay this morning (I never watch it live). I enjoyed Dickmann's deck a lot; I've been hoping someone would seriously test Bounding Krasis in Temur Twin, and it performed really well for him in his first match.

My only complaint is that there was a lot of Rock in the tournament, and I find that it's more fun when the Super Leagues show off the range of a format rather than just the spikiest decks (e.g., Gaby's amazing showing in the latest Standard Super League).

Socat

I watched the replay this morning (I never watch it live). I enjoyed Dickmann's deck a lot; I've been hoping someone would seriously test Bounding Krasis in Temur Twin, and it performed really well for him in his first match.

My only complaint is that there was a lot of Rock in the tournament, and I find that it's more fun when the Super Leagues show off the range of a format rather than just the spikiest decks (e.g., Gaby's amazing showing in the latest Standard Super League).

Yea, kinda sad to see a sea of B/G/x decks running around. Was kinda hoping for a Infect deck to show up or a more creature focused zoo, but Ced's deck was fun to watch.

I tried to post it, but the SCG link was giving me fits so I just posted the article.

I'm still for Jund Counters rather than Mardu, I want to use Collected Company to possibly nab Drana :)

If 4 color is as easy to manage as it looks to be, whynotboth.gif. Jund with white splashed for Crackling Doom and Sorin? Yes please.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
щ(ಠ益ಠщ) GOBLIN GUIDE OR RIOT щ(ಠ益ಠщ)

Why would they reprint an obnoxious as fuck OP creature that enables an obnoxious, completely uninteractive deck when that deck already is doing just fine

If 4 color is as easy to manage as it looks to be, whynotboth.gif. Jund with white splashed for Crackling Doom and Sorin? Yes please.

I would be highly surprised if 4 color was good. The mana is good enough to do it if you want to play nothing but the most splashable spells in each color, I guess.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Why would they reprint an obnoxious as fuck OP creature that enables an obnoxious, completely uninteractive deck when that deck already is doing just fine.

Because they missed their chance to reprint it outside of Standard when they didn't put it in MM2015.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because they missed their chance to reprint it outside of Standard when they didn't put it in MM2015.

why would they ruin standard just so people who want to play an annoying deck in modern don't have to pay $100

I would be highly surprised if 4 color was good. The mana is good enough to do it if you want to play nothing but the most splashable spells in each color, I guess.

All Jund has to do is put one Canopy Vista in it. 4 Windswept Heaths (which can also access Cinder Glade) and 4 Wooded Foothills (which can access all Jund colors) later and you have 9 potential white sources without endangering your primary colors at all.

Lucario

щ(ಠ益ಠщ) GOBLIN GUIDE OR RIOT щ(ಠ益ಠщ)

Goblin Guide reprinted.
Shrine of Burning Rage reprinted.
Lightning Bolt reprinted.
All pack images replaced with Monastery Swiftspear flipping off the player.

kirblar

Here's a simple line of text that fixes the "X" Eldrazi:

If *cardname* has seven or more +1/+1 counters on it, it has Engulf 2 (Whenever a creature with Engulf attacks, the defending player exiles the top two cards of their library)

It's a set fee per piece, and you give up all rights to the piece. I can't remember how much per piece though. It might vary based on what kind of card it's for.

Ah cool, thank you

I got offered a gig doing illustrations for a small trading card game and was looking over the contract. Im more familiar with other types of contracts so I was not sure if it was in line with industry standard which it seems it is.

I think I've read that its around an average of $1000 a piece, but I could be completely wrong on that number.
1k per piece would be nice haha

The artwork for Magic is top notch shit so 1k doesnt actually surprise me. Would definitely believe higher for top end artists

Angry Grimace

Guides are still hovering around $25? There are much more pressing reprint needs for Modern since Tarns are more expensive than Force of Will lately.

They weren't if you just figured out they weren't being reprinted and bought them six months ago =V

kirblar

Yeah, there is no way that their land arts are coming in at the 1K mark.

They were actively asking for portfolios at PAX, they appear to be going through some turnover right now.

duxstar

Is beastcaller expert good enough for ramp decks , or will rattle claw mystic be the go to answer

Also is there something I'm missing with the white mythic that exiles , its a 4 mana banishing light that for 6 mana exiled 2 things

Is beastcaller expert good enough for ramp decks , or will rattle claw mystic be the go to answer

Also is there something I'm missing with the white mythic that exiles , its a 4 mana banishing light that for 6 mana exiled 2 things

And for eight mana, exiles 3 things, right.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I think I've read that its around an average of $1000 a piece, but I could be completely wrong on that number.

Noah Bradley took advantage of doing oil on canvas paintings for his BFZ basic lands and is now selling off the originals. The Forest went for $3,500 on ebay, putting him far ahead of the other artists in terms of earnings, I imagine.

Yeah, there is no way that their land arts are coming in at the 1K mark.

They were actively asking for portfolios at PAX, they appear to be going through some turnover right now.

They're always actively asking for portfolios. Trade shows and conventions are a major source of artists for entertainment companies. Even at smaller conventions I've heard Jeremy Jarvis can go through over a hundred portfolios a day. As far as I know, it's always 1K, but I think the contracts might be different for promos at least in terms of how strict they are with the art. They did manage to get Veronique back for five pieces this set and I don't know that 5k alone would entice her.

Guys like Noah Bradley put a lot of extra work in because they know the real value is from marketing themselves on social media and selling the originals. Peter Mohrbacher understood this as well, but he still felt like the actual contract wasn't flexible enough as well as some disagreements with the new AD he was assigned so he just quit.

That said, they could be changing their process which could be great. I remember that they did increase their artist pay about a year ago, but I don't think the flat fee increase is really what the artists are looking for. And frankly the new art book bodes poorly on that front.

Anyone got any guesses on the odds of a reprint of Brave the Elements? I'm really needing some kind of protection from Languish in my White Weenie deck.

Anyone got any guesses on the odds of a reprint of Brave the Elements? I'm really needing some kind of protection from Languish in my White Weenie deck.

They are no longer supporting protection except for a card every once in a while; likely just reprints of exciting cards. Protection wouldn't protect against Languish anyway.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";179059510]They're always actively asking for portfolios. Trade shows and conventions are a major source of artists for entertainment companies. Even at smaller conventions I've heard Jeremy Jarvis can go through over a hundred portfolios a day. As far as I know, it's always 1K, but I think the contracts might be different for promos at least in terms of how strict they are with the art. They did manage to get Veronique back for five pieces this set and I don't know that 5k alone would entice her.

Guys like Noah Bradley put a lot of extra work in because they know the real value is from marketing themselves on social media and selling the originals. Peter Mohrbacher understood this as well, but he still felt like the actual contract wasn't flexible enough as well as some disagreements with the new AD he was assigned so he just quit.

That said, they could be changing their process which could be great. I remember that they did increase their artist pay about a year ago, but I don't think the flat fee increase is really what the artists are looking for. And frankly the new art book bodes poorly on that front.[/QUOTE]
They haven't advertised it like they did at PAX before (at least, on the internet, I haven't attended one). It was really unusual.

The caliber of artist for their lands is often a notch above everything else, which is why I suspect the pay for some of them is as well.

They are no longer supporting protection except for a card every once in a while; likely just reprints of exciting cards. Protection wouldn't protect against Languish anyway.

Protection is something that I think they'll happily do on instants/sorcerers. My interpretation is that they're really just going to shy away from randomly putting Protection from Color onto creatures.

They haven't advertised it like they did at PAX before (at least, on the internet, I haven't attended one). It was really unusual.

The caliber of artist for their lands is often a notch above everything else, which is why I suspect the pay for some of them is as well.

Well frankly landscapes are always going to be more convincing than general fantasy art for a variety of reasons and I can guarantee that it's easier to produce some of and stand out from the pack with the best land art than it is the best character commissions, which at the end of the day is basically fan art. I've never heard of land artists being paid more but my information is all second hand so I can't say. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if noah bradley had some unique setup with wizards because getting 10 pieces for one set is exceptional. He could also just be really easy to work with, reliable and puts them in a good light with his social media stuff so they throw him an extra bone. This one set could represent as much as 40-60k for noah bradley at the end of the day which puts him among the top fantasy illustrator earnings in the world. He's probably well above 6 figures now.

I don't know if their call for artists is representative of any internal change or just them trying to be more open with their audience to build good will and hype up a major event.

Bloody hell, I open one Origins pack today at a store while on the other side of Town and I get a third Foil Exquisite Firecraft. I don't even play Red, though I guess it was the pack apologizing for giving me Honoured Hierarch as the rare.

Angry Grimace

As was said before, Protection exists only in very sparing amounts (i.e. reprints that already had Protection). I think this is actually the wrong move. Protection is fine so long as you don't statically give it to creatures so they just randomly hose certain colors, e.g. Stormbreath Dragon hosing white hard.

Yeef

Them getting rid of protection and intimidate when they did makes a lot of sense. Both would cause all sorts of headaches for less experienced players in this block.

As was said before, Protection exists only in very sparing amounts (i.e. reprints that already had Protection). I think this is actually the wrong move. Protection is fine so long as you don't statically give it to creatures so they just randomly hose certain colors, e.g. Stormbreath Dragon hosing white hard.

the problem is that protection is indestructibility + shroud against a colour, and they already didn't like how shroud confused people.

I generally like the concept and flavour of 0 toughness creatures dying even if they are indestructible but it's really something difficult to wrap your head around when starting out.

And the whole can't target your own creature making spells just fizzle.

Like explain to a novice why Etched champion dies to languish but not anger of the gods.

Love the expedition art. Some super gorgeous pieces in there.

Also, I love the new Drana, but I'm sad that she isn't conducive to as entertaining a photoshop as my last one:

Vr97eW7.jpg

Common Processors too.

You know it's a weird set when the themes only start to come together in the garbage-time previews.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";179059510]They're always actively asking for portfolios. Trade shows and conventions are a major source of artists for entertainment companies. Even at smaller conventions I've heard Jeremy Jarvis can go through over a hundred portfolios a day. As far as I know, it's always 1K, but I think the contracts might be different for promos at least in terms of how strict they are with the art. They did manage to get Veronique back for five pieces this set and I don't know that 5k alone would entice her.[/QUOTE]

They pay a flat rate for regular expansion set pieces -- I'm not sure if it varies by artist, but definitely not for a single artist within a set. Promo pieces like the expeditions (or even the regular full-art lands) get contracted separately and at different rates.

Yeef

Pretty cool if you can get up to 10 mana. Swing for 6, untap and do it again. Awaken makes it a little better than the typical Time Warp-type cards.

OnPoint

So sick of them putting exile clauses on extra turn cards. Fuck off with that. Not being able to blink the new Eldrazi cards for value also sucks. They're ruining everything that makes the game fun.

kirblar

3UU Time Warps are apparently straight up not happening any time soon because of PWs, btw. In case you were ever hoping for a reprint there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom