• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sick of them putting exile clauses on extra turn cards. Fuck off with that. Not being able to blink the new Eldrazi cards for value also sucks. They're ruining everything that makes the game fun.

You are the guy that makes everyone leave the table at an EDH game. :p

Kiora ult octopus
V2qe0ALQPq.png

Well, if anyone wants to suck up to the mods, you know who to mail these to.

People actually bring that shit to EDH gunslinging. Styborski's response is to throw a pack at them and scoop to blueball them.

I approve.

OnPoint

I don't play infinite turns combos in EDH, pretty much as a rule. (I used to play pillow fort decks, but people tend to hate that, too, so I diversified my deck styles. But I digress) I just think that if people want to play these things, if they want to jump through the hoops to pull off some crazy setup, they should be able to, and you let the other players police their ability to do so.

ElyrionX

So sick of them putting exile clauses on extra turn cards. Fuck off with that. Not being able to blink the new Eldrazi cards for value also sucks. They're ruining everything that makes the game fun.

People actually bring that shit to EDH gunslinging. Styborski's response is to throw a pack at them and scoop to blueball them.

I once casted Time Stretch off the top of my deck with Melek. People were not happy lol. Took it out of my deck after.

I just think that if people want to play these things, if they want to jump through the hoops to pull off some crazy setup, they should be able to, and you let the other players police their ability to do so.

See, speaking as someone who built all those Stampeding Wildebeests decks and assembled ridiculous Second Chance decks and whatnot, I'm glad they're dialing back on these a little bit. At a certain point exploiting ETBs and taking infinite turns stops being fun unless you have to really work for it.

OnPoint

See, speaking as someone who built all those Stampeding Wildebeests decks and assembled ridiculous Second Chance decks and whatnot, I'm glad they're dialing back on these a little bit. At a certain point exploiting ETBs and taking infinite turns stops being fun unless you have to really work for it.

In standard and maybe modern sure, I can see your point. Lord knows I've hated any casual games where someone looped some kind of prison lock tech crap (though I did love Venser + Stonehorn Dignitary so much).

But I don't see a way to loop this card in standard without the exile clause. Printing this with that clause doesn't change the fact that everything you said is unfun is all still possible in EDH due to older cards still being legal. At best they're simply preventing redundancy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Jace, Telepath Unbound

If Time Warp was legal, I would just put out Kiora and Jace, play Time Warp, flashback Time Warp, and keep digging on the extra turns for more Time Warps and flashbacks, possibly more Jaces since Kiora gets creatures.

OnPoint

Jace, Telepath Unbound

If Time Warp was legal, I would just put out Kiora and Jace, play Time Warp, flashback Time Warp, and keep digging on the extra turns for more Time Warps and flashbacks, possibly more Jaces since Kiora gets creatures.

Actually Jace is probably the reason they did this. You nailed it. That would have been pretty miserable, especially now that Hero's Downfall is a sorcery.

duxstar

2 Rares and 1 mythic left to go , let's hope for something cool. Still waiting on a white angel for the set , Iona was from Zendikar, no clue what happened story wise to her though.

If I could get some possible cards as the last 3 rares / mythic it would be

New Iona that's pushed for constructed
Lotus Cobra and Oracle of Mul daya reprint. At this point I'd be pretty ecstatic with one of those coming true.

Crocodile

I don't use Time Walk effects in the EDH decks I've ever made but that "no fun allowed" clause they are putting on a lot of them (and a lot of other cards recently in other respects) is kind of irksome just on principle.

Also BTW:

223x311xmakindi-sliderunner.png.pagespeed.ic.I7zLO6IMg2.png

snapping-gnarlid.png.pagespeed.ce.SVn3aIufr5.png

pilgrims-eye.png.pagespeed.ce.kKeXs0heTk.png

From the Top Level Podcast by Chapin and Flores

bigkrev

Fucking A Pilgrim's Eye!

I'm a huge fan of these nerfed but still interesting landfall guys. I doubt they are constructed playable, but the green one especially will be a nice card in your 40 card deck

OnPoint

I don't use Time Walk effects in the EDH decks I've ever made but that "no fun allowed" clause they are putting on a lot of them (and a lot of other cards recently in other respects) is kind of irksome just on principle.

Glad someone here is talking some sense.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Also BTW:

223x311xmakindi-sliderunner.png.pagespeed.ic.I7zLO6IMg2.png

snapping-gnarlid.png.pagespeed.ce.SVn3aIufr5.png

pilgrims-eye.png.pagespeed.ce.kKeXs0heTk.png

From the Top Level Podcast by Chapin and Flores

Draft 2 drops with landfall buffs and try to race your opponent

Sounds like fucken Zendikar alright

Yeef

From what we've seen so far, this is what I work out the draft archetypes to be:
  • WU - Awaken Control
  • UB - Eldrazi Processing
  • BR - Eldrazi Aggro
  • RG - Landfall Ramp
  • GW - Ally Tokens
  • WB - Ally Bleeder / Life Gain
  • UR - Eldrazi noncreature spells (?)
  • BG - Token / Sacrifice Eldrazi
  • RW - Aggro Allies
  • GU - Converge

Hopefully we see a few prowess guys for the UR archetype. Of course, i could just be off-base there. UR was the hardest to pin down.

Angry Grimace

The fact that instead of printing Lotus Cobra, they printed a stupid looking elf holding a Lotus Cobra pretty much says everything you need to know about this set. Along with Honored Hierarch, Wizards is 2 for 2 in shitting on 1 mana accelarator creatures. Now they just need to complete the cycle and print a 0/1 bird for 1G that produces mana that can only be used to cast Dragon Creature spells or something.

JulianImp

Well, Pull from Eternity exists, but Maro hates the card

I ran it as a one-off in my very old Second Sunrise deck, and I once got to use it to neuter a Chrome Mox, then have my opponent tap it expecing G from his imprinted Troll Ascetic that was no longer there, only to realize just what I had actually accomplished by casting that spell.

I don't play infinite turns combos in EDH, pretty much as a rule. (I used to play pillow fort decks, but people tend to hate that, too, so I diversified my deck styles. But I digress) I just think that if people want to play these things, if they want to jump through the hoops to pull off some crazy setup, they should be able to, and you let the other players police their ability to do so.

As a rule of thumb I tend to not like infinite combos, but they tend to be okay in my book as long as whoever plays them doesn't aggressively tutor for them every time (which is why I don't like running tutors myself). Decks that lock things down for everybody else and then take forever to win are the worst, though. At least with an infinite combo you quickly move on to the next game if nobody has an answer.

The fact that instead of printing Lotus Cobra, they printed a stupid looking elf holding a Lotus Cobra pretty much says everything you need to know about this set. Along with Honored Hierarch, Wizards is 2 for 2 in shitting on 1 mana accelarator creatures.

...but lotus cobra costs 2 mana....

Crocodile

The fact that instead of printing Lotus Cobra, they printed a stupid looking elf holding a Lotus Cobra pretty much says everything you need to know about this set. Along with Honored Hierarch, Wizards is 2 for 2 in shitting on 1 mana accelarator creatures. Now they just need to complete the cycle and print a 0/1 bird for 1G that produces mana that can only be used to cast Dragon Creature spells or something.

The signs that one mana accelerators were on their way out have been clear for a while. They are now on the list of "stuff that's now considered 'too good' for Standard even though such cards were in and contributed to multiple healthy and fun Standard environments"

Angry Grimace

The signs that one mana accelerators were on their way out have been clear for a while. They are now on the list of "stuff that's now considered 'too good' for Standard even though such cards were in and contributed to multiple healthy and fun Standard environments"

The only real evidence it was coming was Maro saying it. Because there's no evidence that Elvish Mystic or its functional equivalents were breaking Standard in the last 20 years they've been in print, or that they were feel-bads for WOTC's beloved newbies.

...but lotus cobra costs 2 mana....

uh, yeah it sure does

Angry Grimace

Trying to brew up Sultai decks is really weird without Satyr Wayfinder and even weirder without Thoughtseize/Elvish Mystic.

Think there is a chance that Birds spikes after the full spoiler? AKA: I am considering buying a playset in the very near future, should I jump immediately rather than wait a couple weeks?

kirblar

MaRo's saying it, but he's telling you what Dev is saying.

The issue is that they're slowing things down in general- wraths are at 5, removal is more expensive, etc. And that means mana dorks are way better in T2 now relative to how they used to be. (And they were still really damn good then.)

....Birds of Paradise? Yeah, grab a set of your favorite art, it's only going to go up, but it'll be sloooooooow. Card has a zillion printings.

Watching the Modern Super League archives and I already really hate Splinter Twin and I've only been watching competitive for like a month.

The decks are fine they work w/o twin it's just boring when I as an amateur can see the game ending well in advance just from seeing what's in the hand of both players.

ElyrionX

As a rule of thumb I tend to not like infinite combos, but they tend to be okay in my book as long as whoever plays them doesn't aggressively tutor for them every time (which is why I don't like running tutors myself). Decks that lock things down for everybody else and then take forever to win are the worst, though. At least with an infinite combo you quickly move on to the next game if nobody has an answer.

I try not to play infinite combos as well since they tend to be quite unsatisfying to play after the first few times esepcially if your deck is very linear.

There is this spike at my LGS who would build a linear combo deck, smash all of our faces (our power levels are generally quite casual by choice) and then dismantle the deck a week or two later after we pour on the hate. Couple of weeks later, he'd show up with a new highly linear combo deck and the cycle repeats. It's very very annoying.

I'm literally dying over here.

@JeffHoogland said:
.@MagicOnline @mtg_lee 4-1 a modern PPTQ tonight. Getting this message when I try to join the Saturday PTQ Finals.

onkzATa.jpg

@mtg_lee said:
@JeffHoogland @MagicOnline The invites are processed manually in waves, you probably haven't been added to the event yet.

Firemind

I logged in last night to spend some quality cube time, but then I found out it starts next week. orz

I almost entered a Time Spiral phantom draft, but nah. I'd probably get trolled by goyfs.

OnPoint

I have a ton of BoP already, but I guess I should pick a few more up just in case. They're just so useful. Gonna miss the days of 1CMC mana creatures.

Firemind

But you can get Alpha, Beta and foreign Revised and 4th edition BOPs.

There's always black bordered 7th and 8th edition foils

I don't really care for BoP art, Noble hierarch doesn't look that good either and I still play the 3 I was lucky enough to catch before they got too expensive in addition to 4 birds. I prefer if all my cards are modern bordered tbh, it bothers me too much if they aren't.

Firemind

Wasn't that art supposed to be commissioned for Volcanic Island? I remember reading that somewhere.

I don't really care for BoP art, Noble hierarch doesn't look that good either and I still play the 3 I was lucky enough to catch before they got too expensive in addition to 4 birds. I prefer if all my cards are modern bordered tbh, it bothers me too much if they aren't.
I use OG Lightning Bolts. They look rad.

Aaaaaaand I just ordered a black borded 4th edition BOP. Thanks a lot!
weeps internally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom