• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hort

Neo Member
223x311xmakindi-sliderunner.png.pagespeed.ic.I7zLO6IMg2.png

snapping-gnarlid.png.pagespeed.ce.SVn3aIufr5.png

Am I the only one that thinks its weird that red gets trample instead of green here?

I really, really hope that's a real card. The one cycle in my cube that I just couldn't complete was the cycle of utility lands. The white one is mediocre (I've alternated between Sejiri Steppe and New Benalia), the red one is pretty good (I've alternated between Teetering Peaks, Barbarian Ring, and Ghitu Encampment), blue and green get real manlands, and black gets...nothing? But if that's real, I'm slamming that into the cube.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
MaRo's saying it, but he's telling you what Dev is saying.

The issue is that they're slowing things down in general- wraths are at 5, removal is more expensive, etc. And that means mana dorks are way better in T2 now relative to how they used to be. (And they were still really damn good then.)

....Birds of Paradise? Yeah, grab a set of your favorite art, it's only going to go up, but it'll be sloooooooow. Card has a zillion printings.

Yeah but Dev is obviously dumb if they think Elvish Mystic is ruining Standard

meh your opponent is in control of how many lands they have

Not quite as oh shit as I thought at first glance. By the time you're dropping a 6 drop in UB skipping their drop isn't going to be as harsh of a penalty for your opponents.

Still a cool card

ghost quarter and path to exile just got a lot better, too bad it's not in standard. Though they can always fail to find if they want to.

Why don't big eldrazi's have ingest though?

DrArchon

Sire looked cool until I realized that you're almost never gonna draw any cards with it. Cool design though and if there's a way to cheat it out early it'll be sick. just wish it had some kind of protection other than 7 toughness.

oh and if opponent has an infinite landfall combo (or close to infinite) he can fuck up your library real bad, you are forced to draw 2 cards lol
Well I guess he fucks his own library too because of the exile 2 but eh

ultron87

I like the effect and the anti-Zendikar flavor is nice, but would certainly like it better if it punished lands in hand somehow.

the sad thing though is now with certainty there really aren't many mythics I actually want.

Basically the walkers and that's it. There isn't even a single ally creature mythic, not counting Gideon.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sire looked cool until I realized that you're almost never gonna draw any cards with it. Cool design though and if there's a way to cheat it out early it'll be sick. just wish it had some kind of protection other than 7 toughness.

Pretty much every card that lets you cheat something out early costs like 6 to begin with. Or kills the creature in question e.g. Through the Breach.

Firemind

We'll see. 6 mana is tough but at the least it could be a mirror breaker in standard. Landfall will be big in draft making this a bomb.
But it's not a win condition. It's just a big dumb eldrazi with a taxing ability. A minor setback. Not a big bomb in the slightest.

OnPoint

But it's not a win condition. It's just a big dumb eldrazi with a taxing ability. A minor setback. Not a big bomb in the slightest.

A 5/7 that refills your hand at the cost of your opponent using one of the major strategies in the format isn't a bomb? Is Blue Black suddenly not the color combo that would most want to fill its hand with answers and options? I don't think this is going to outright win games on stats alone, but it's a probable powerful card draw engine card that demands an answer.

Firemind

A 5/7 that refills your hand at the cost of your opponent using one of the major strategies in the format isn't a bomb? Is Blue Black suddenly not the color combo that would most want to fill its hand with answers and options? I don't think this is going to outright win games on stats alone, but it's a probable powerful card draw engine card that demands an answer.
It's a bit like Browbeat. You're not likely going to get what you want. Either your opponent will happily play spells and deal with it later at some point or you're so far behind the two cards are not going to matter.

OnPoint

It's a bit like Browbeat. You're not likely going to get what you want. Either your opponent will happily play spells and deal with it later at some point or you're so far behind the two cards are not going to matter.

It's all relative. Yeah, there will be times it's like Browbeat and you lose on the bargain. Then there will be times you drop it on turn 6 and your opponent is faced with the choice of staying at 5 lands (god forbid they miss a land drop) and constricting their options or giving you two cards to advance their board.

Yeah; think about what you would do if you saw this on the other side of the table. You would look at it, say "huh, that's a 5/7" and stop playing lands. Or you just kill it, then play your land for turn.

The text on the card is only a marginal upside. I can't remember the last time a 6 mana 5/7 with no evasion would be playable.

Angry Grimace

It doesn't refill your hand.

Your opponent gets an option of not giving you any cards for no real penalty other than not going up in lands (on turn 5 or 6).

I think you guys are severely underestimating this card. It's not as good if you're behind (although it's a good blocker), but if you're at parity with your opponent and they can't immediately remove this, the game gets put away completely.

It doesn't actually do anything to lock your opponent out of playing Magic or responding to it unless they already missed a bunch of land drops, in which case its win-more.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Yeah; think about what you would do if you saw this on the other side of the table. You would look at it, say "huh, that's a 5/7" and stop playing lands. Or you just kill it, then play your land for turn.

The text on the card is only a marginal upside. I can't remember the last time a 6 mana 5/7 with no evasion would be playable.

Yeah, this cards certainly seems like a huge step down from Consecrated Sphinx. With Sphinx, unless they kill it the turn you cast it, you will get value out of it. For this guy, I think most players would happily hold back their land drops until they had removal in hand. I can't see this as anything other than a slightly pushed punisher card. Sure, it punishes players for doing one of the most essential elements of the game, but even still, you are leaving the choice in your opponents' hands most of the time. I can't really think of a situation in EDH where you'd want this over Consecrated Sphinx.

OnPoint

We'll see how it plays out I guess. I feel like this will be better than you guys think, but I've misevaluated stuff in the past like we all have.

In the current format? Yeah, it's a bulk mythic, it comes down too late.

In a format where U/B can actually ramp with eldrazi scions and get it down on turn 4 or 5? It could be pretty vicious. We'll just have to see, I'm not really sold on it but it could be decent. It's pretty brutal on fetches as well.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, as history has shown us, 6 drops just come down too la....bwhahahahahaha.

And if you're ever so behind that getting 2 free cards isn't enough to stabilize you, nothing short of an uncontested Revelation was going to save you anyway.

Angry Grimace

So valorous stance will be an awesome card in this new format won't it. Protect my Eldrazi bomb or destroy yours seems ok.

The last format was about giant fuck-off dragons who were pretty much all better than the Eldrazi.

y2dvd

Thumbs down in both standard and EDH. Should've been something like, "if land enters the battlefield this turn, blah blah blah. You can only do this once per turn." Without good land destruction, the opponent would probably have all the land they need by the time you casted it.

In EDH I rather just play Consecrated Sphinx. That's way more likely to trigger and way more often.

duxstar

Also remember what I said , keep an eye out on the creatures that can block and trade with the new eldrazi to see which cards might be playable in standard.

5/7 blocks and trades with most of the rare eldrazi, its part of the reason I think Siege Rhino will see less play. In a world of 4/4s a 4/5 was king, in a world of 5/5s oblivion Sower, this guy , ulamog etc are the top dogs now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom