• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

Oh crap forgot about Drana. Hippy's going out for her too. It's not a bad set for cube but it's weird in that there aren't 100% upgrades outside of the manlands and maybe Kiora (well Hedron Archive to me too since I don't have access to Thran Dynamo).

Violet_0

Banned
BFZ Sealed Simulator

BFZ Draft & Sealed Simulator

Running through these a handful of times, I feel like RG is typically where you want to be in this format. I'm sure my opinion will change after I've played it a few times for real.

thanks, this is useful for me. I'm going to my first limited event in over ten years on Saturday/maybe Sunday too. And then sell all the cards so I don't start with the bad habits again

G/B Eldrazi ramp/tokens is my favorite so far, but then again G/B is also my main Duels deck. I have more trouble drafting a decent Allies deck, I got a number of legendaries/bombs and 5 mana uncommons in my sealed packs but find most of the common Allies lacking, or they are green. And they seem to pretty much force you to play 3+ colors

why, why did I click this, I drew a Gideon.... noooooooooooooooo

I got a foil Ob Nixilis in my first pack :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It is so dumb that is not turned on by default

Each turn would take forever if it was set that way.

The default stops are attackers, blockers, opponent's end step and your own main phases.

I just manually click the triangle when I anticipate needing to do something, say, in opponent's main phase and I keep "begin combat" stops on at all times both sides.

thanks, this is useful for me. I'm going to my first limited event in over ten years on Saturday/maybe Sunday too. And then sell all the cards so I don't start with the bad habits again

G/B Eldrazi ramp/tokens is my favorite so far, but then again G/B is also my main Duels deck. I have more trouble drafting a decent Allies deck, I got a number of legendaries/bombs and 5 mana uncommons in my sealed packs but find most of the common Allies lacking, or they are green. And they seem to pretty much force you to play 3+ colors

I got a foil Ob Nixilis in my first pack :p
I ran this and it assigned me a Zendikar Expedition....Canopy Vista

I pressed the button again and it was Godless Shrine

OnPoint

Messing with the draft simulator, I found that forcing Eldrazi felt right most of the time. The last one of three I did, I got a real weird but awesome Mono-blue Eldrazi deck, where a ton of my cards made Scions with a couple of higher cost cards at the top to use them for. The blue tap something down land is going to be so good, I think.

Bandini

So... BFZ sealed. Did it 3 times yesterday and it isn't that great so far. I was able to throw together a WRG Ally deck that was ok, and a UB Eldrazi deck that was pretty good. It's just hard to get much synergy, the processing and returning from exile is pretty clunky. And it's hard to go more than 2 colors with the lack of dual lands. Gonna practice this week leading up to prerelease.

Edit: gotta agree with OnPoint on the blue land. In my last match I had the blue Retreat out, tapped my opponent's creature and made it not untap next step, won me the game.

Matriox

Messing with the draft simulator, I found that forcing Eldrazi felt right most of the time. The last one of three I did, I got a real weird but awesome Mono-blue Eldrazi deck, where a ton of my cards made Scions with a couple of higher cost cards at the top to use them for. The blue tap something down land is going to be so good, I think.

I'm having a really hard time not picking BG tokens, BR Eldrazi, or RG landfall... BTW the blue land doesn't actually tap anything, it just keeps stuff tapped if it is tapped already.

It doesn't though, it makes something tapped not untap

bigkrev

It is so dumb that is not turned on by default

Have you ever played a Yugioh game? If you have a trap or spell that you can activate at any time, the game turns into a slog as every time a phase starts or ends or anything happens, you get a prompt to activate your card. Thankfully, the PS4 game has simplified activation as an option, and you can also just hold the circle button down at all times to skip all prompts.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The draft simulator clearly can't be accurate since it doesn't have people picking full art basics mid-pack.

Its weird that in real draft you just take the land out but on MODO its still in the pack.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Have you ever played a Yugioh game? If you have a trap or spell that you can activate at any time, the game turns into a slog as every time a phase starts or ends or anything happens, you get a prompt to activate your card. Thankfully, the PS4 game has simplified activation as an option, and you can also just hold the circle button down at all times to skip all prompts.

Combat response windows should be on by default, main phase response windows off, not the other way around. In the opponents main phase the probability is that I am going to want to play something only in response to something they are playing, whereas combat is where the most unprompted instants are going to be played. Its dumb that it was constantly stopping to ask me if I had any plays for their main phase but didn't stop to ask me if I had any play after I declared attackers.

Yeef

Comparing uncommons and rares isn't fair, but Khans had a vast number of bombs. So many that it warped drafts. Like there was no way to come back after your opponent plays Savage Knuckleblade on turn three while you're holding a bunch of morphs. Savage indeed.
This just isn't true. You had deathtouch creatures, beefy blockers, regenerators, bounce spells and plenty of removal to slowdown (or stop) a Knuckleblade. Slowing it down was all you needed to do, because once you got to the point where you have 5 or more mana, you were out of the woods.

Khans, in my opinion, was one of the least bomb-dependent formats. That's part of what made it so great. Wingmate Roc was really the only card that was super-difficult to deal with profitably, and even that wasn't so bad.

ugoo18

Didn't see any responses to your decklist yet so I thought I'd ask a question. Are you looking to play in any particular format with the deck or are you just going to use it for casual, kitchen table style games?

To be honest i'm still unclear about formats as i only started playing very recently, based on my deck list for example what formats would i be allowed or barred from playing?

I've only played casually so far though and may enter tournaments if i ever find any near me lol.

Testing out a Sultai zombie tempo, and it's working really well so far. Was brainstorming ways to take advantage of new Kiora and Sultai came to mind.

On my phone so I can't post the list but it's pretty fun. RDW is gonna be a problem but that's what tweaking is for.

Yeef

To be honest i'm still unclear about formats as i only started playing very recently, based on my deck list for example what formats would i be allowed or barred from playing?
There are 5 major "Constructed" Formats (where you bring a pre-made deck).
  • Standard - Only cards from expansions printed in the last 18 months or so are allowed. When Battle for Zendikar is released in 2 weeks, Standard will include Khans of Tarkir, Fate Reforged, Dragons of Tarkir, Magic Origins and Battle for Zendikar. Standard rotates, meaning the cards that are legal in the format change with time. As new sets are released, old ones are pushed out.
  • Modern - Cards released in expansions from 8th Edition (2003) and on are legal. There's a ban list, so some individual cards are banned. Modern, like every other format here besides Standard, is non-rotating. Old sets aren't pushed out by new ones; new ones are simply added to the pool.
  • Legacy - Cards from all sets are legal, with a ban list where some individual cards are banned. Legacy (and Vintage and Commander) are "Eternal" formats, meaning that cards from every part of Magic's history are legal; there's no cutoff date.
  • Vintage - Vintage is similar to Legacy, but in addition to the Ban list, there's a restricted list. Restricted cards can only have a single copy of the card in the deck instead of the usual limit of 4 copies.
  • Commander (a.k.a. EDH) - Commander is a popular casual format. You choose a Legendary creature as your commander then you build a 99-card deck using only cards that match the colors on your commander's card. So, for example, if your commander is Alesha, Who Smiles at Death, you can only use Red, White, Black and colorless cards in your deck. Commander is also a highlander format, meaning that you can only play a single copy of any card (other than basic lands). Commander is typically played in games with 3 or more players. Each player starts at 40 life instead of 20 and your Commander sits outside of your deck (in the Command Zone) where you can cast it as though it were in your hand. If it ever leaves the battlefield, it goes back to the command zone ready to be cast again, but at a higher price.

Angry Grimace

Trust me this is the best deck I have ever made =V

Deck: Esper Eldrazi
w.gif
u.gif
b.gif

//Creatures
4 Fathom Feeder
4 Wasteland Strangler
2 Ulamog's Nullifier
4 Blight Herder
1 Oblivion Sower
2 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

//Spells
3 Titan's Presence
3 Suspension Field
3 Stasis Snare
2 Utter End
1 Quarantine Field
2 Dig Through Time
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

//Land
4 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Island
4 Plains
3 Swamp
2 Sunken Hollow
3 Prairie Stream
2 Shambling Vent

//Sideboard
2 Aligned Hedron Network
2 Dragonlord Ojutai
3 Revoke Existence
2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
3 Duress
2 Negate

Display deck statistics

Socat

Vintage and Legacy for me then. Based on that though any advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

Now you have to decide whether you want to be casual or competitive, because those are going to be wildly different decks that you will be building depending on which way you want to go.

Angry Grimace

Vintage and Legacy for me then. Based on that though any advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

The average price of a Vintage deck is probably ~$10,000 and the average price of a Legacy deck is probably ~$2,500

There's a reason we all play Standard. I think in the entire city I live in there is one Legacy event per week that fires and Vintage is barely considered a real format because nobody actually has the $3,000 Black Lotus you need for the deck.

There's a thing called the "Reserved List" which is a promise that WOTC made around 1995-98 that certain cards would never be reprinted again. This is considered a big mistake by them but they stick by it - they were concerned at the time that the game would collapse if players believed their collection's value would plummet.

Prerelease Primer, adding to OP.

ugoo18, you should know that all this talk about formats does not apply to casual play. When you're just playing with your friends, you can make whatever deck you want, as long as your friends don't get upset.

ultron87

It is probably best to distinguish between Casual and Vintage/Legacy. If you just want a deck to use on the kitchen table with friends in a "no ban list" format that is a completely different than a deck you'll use in a Vintage or Legacy tournament.

Firemind

This just isn't true. You had deathtouch creatures, beefy blockers, regenerators, bounce spells and plenty of removal to slowdown (or stop) a Knuckleblade. Slowing it down was all you needed to do, because once you got to the point where you have 5 or more mana, you were out of the woods.

Khans, in my opinion, was one of the least bomb-dependent formats. That's part of what made it so great. Wingmate Roc was really the only card that was super-difficult to deal with profitably, and even that wasn't so bad.
wat.jpg

I don't want to, like, make a list or anything to prove a point, but Khans had bombs. Lots of them. The only playable deathtouch creature that can play defense is B/W (Ruthless Ripper isn't very good because she's not a warrior.) Walls are too small to stop a 6/6. There are no playable regenerators except Rakshasa Deathdealer. Bounce/tap is only okay if you have something in play to race with. There aren't that many removal spells at common that can deal with a 4/4 on turn three. White even has Feat of Resistance in case you want to kill Mantis Rider or any Abzan fatty.

The problem with Khans was that synergy wasn't often enough to trump brute power. You would play Outlast in Jeskai and Mardu, Raid in Jeskai and Temur, Delve in Temur and Jeskai etc. because of their inherent power level. The cards are too good. The only archetype that I think is legitimately based on synergy is B/W warriors. And that awful Secret Plans deck that nobody drafts. Contrast that to one of GAF's darling, Innistrad, where every archetype is clearly defined. Obviously some overlap, but there are enough distinct strategies that could beat the decks with bombs. That's good design.

The average price of a Vintage deck is probably ~$10,000 and the average price of a Legacy deck is probably ~$2,500

There's a reason we all play Standard. I think in the entire city I live in there is one Legacy event per week that fires and Vintage is barely considered a real format because nobody actually has the $3,000 Black Lotus you need for the deck.

There's a thing called the "Reserved List" which is a promise that WOTC made around 1995-98 that certain cards would never be reprinted again. This is considered a big mistake by them but they stick by it - they were concerned at the time that the game would collapse if players believed their collection's value would plummet.

That's the reason EDH exists. It's a format that lets you play all of your sweet old cards without having to spend the $$$ required to play "real" Vintage/Legacy decks.

Sketching out a new deck based on GR landfall aggro I've been seeing.

Naya Landfall Aggro

20 Creatures
  • 4 Scythe Panther
  • 4 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
  • 2 Dragonmaster Outcast
  • 4 Relic Seeker
  • 4 Managorger Hydra
  • 2 Nissa, Vastwood Seer

12 Spells
  • 4 Wild Slash
  • 4 Atarka's Command
  • 4 Ride Down

5 Equipment
  • 4 Sword of the Animist
  • 1 Slab Hammer

23 Lands
  • 1 Canopy Vista
  • 1 Cinder Glade
  • 4 Wooded Foothills
  • 4 Windswept Heath
  • 5 Forest
  • 4 Mountain
  • 3 Plains
  • 1 Blighted Woodland

Angry Grimace

I don't really like Undergrowth Scavenger for 2 reasons, 1) It's often not as good as Managorger Hydra because after a turn or two a Managorger is going to be too big for combat anyways, and 2) Undergrowth Champion mostly dodges damage based removal, one of which has an oft-forgotten conditional rider that prevents Undergrowth Champion from using its damage-immunity.

Which in turn means running Wild Slash and Undergrowth Champion in the same deck is a minor nonbo.

I don't really like Undergrowth Scavenger for 2 reasons, 1) It's often not as good as Managorger Hydra because after a turn or two a Managorger is going to be too big for combat anyways, and 2) Undergrowth Champion mostly dodges damage based removal, one of which has an oft-forgotten conditional rider that prevents Undergrowth Champion from using its damage-immunity.

Which in turn means running Wild Slash and Undergrowth Champion in the same deck is a minor nonbo.

Can't fault your reasoning here.

ugoo18

Over 1K for a deck..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzishIREebw

Did i say Vintage and Legacy, silly me i meant Modern.

In terms of what i want to do, well i suppose get my Eldrazi onto the field as easily as possible while keeping it clear of threats till that happens.

My first ever deck was this

Creatures
Precinct Captain
Chromeshell Crab x2
Aquamorph Entity x2
GraveDigger
Goblin DeathRaider
Borderland Marauder x2
Echo Tracer
Coral Trickster x2
Midnight Guard
Frenzied Goblin
Typhoid Rat x2
Mardu Heart-Piercer
Zurgo Helmsmasher
Skinthinner x2
Aegis Angel
Willbender
Sengir Vampire
Lone Missionary (Planning to take this out)
Lightning Angel

Spells
Banefire
Act of Treason
Divination

Instants
Stave Off
Fleeting Distraction
Whiplash Trap
Divine Verdict
Dauntless Onslaught
Swift Justice
Impulse
Lightning Helix
Cancel
Ojutal's Command
Hold the Line
Traumatic Visions
Repeal

Land
Island x2
Evolving Wilds x2
Azorious Guild Gate x4
Terramorphic Expanse x2
Mountain
Arcane Sanctum x3
Nomad Outpost x2
Mystic Monastery x2
Ghitu Encampment

Artifact
Citanul Flute

Planeswalker
Narset Transcendent

After getting much needed advice i completely overhauled it to this

Artifacts
Quicksilver Amulet x1
Everflowing Chalice x3
Expedition Map x2

Creatures
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn x1
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth x1
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre x1
It that betrays x1
Gilded Drake x2
Pestermite x1
Walking Atlas x4
Wurmcoil Engine x3

Equipment
Deathrender x1

Sorcery
Ponder x1
Divination x4
Terminus x4
Supreme Verdict x4

Instant
Hindering Light x4
Brainstorm x1
Cyclonic Rift x1
Gifts Ungiven x1

Planeswalker
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon x1

Land
Urza's Mine x3
Hallowed Fountain x4
Plains x3
Island x3
Flooded Strand x2
Urza's Power Plant x3
Urza's Tower x3
Eye of Ugin x1

Wichu

As other people have said, Legacy and Vintage are more expensive and less popular than other formats.

I assume your aim is just to get one of the three big Eldrazi into play - there's a few different ways you can do that in Modern and Legacy.

Modern Urzatron
Legacy Show and Tell
Legacy 12-Post

If you want to play all three Eldrazi in Legacy without paying thousands, there's Mono-Green 12-Post. You could build a decent budget version for $300-400.

And yes, $300-400 is 'budget' for a Legacy deck.

EDIT: Spent too long looking up Eldrazi deck lists and got beaten badly :p

Angry Grimace

Over 1K for a deck..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzishIREebw

Did i say Vintage and Legacy, silly me i meant Modern.

In terms of what i want to do, well i suppose get my Eldrazi onto the field as easily as possible while keeping it clear of threats till that happens.

My first ever deck was this

After getting much needed advice i completely overhauled it to this

I play Modern and my deck's price is like $1,250.00. A playset of one of the lands in the deck is seriously $300. Modern isn't cheap either.

ugoo18

I play Modern and my deck's price is like $1,250.00. A playset of one of the lands in the deck is seriously $300. Modern isn't cheap either.

My current Eldrazi deck cost around $350 to $400 if i remember correctly with the only foil i went for being my 4 Hindering light's (The normal versions were sold out).

Besides, if you want the Vintage experience without taking out a mortgage you can just get a friend, setup your decks, and then flip a coin to determine the winner.

Fuck Polluted Delta being $23.

You don't have your sets of the Khans fetches? My Japanese Deltas are floating around 25-30 a pop, that's a lot for a rare. I'd been trading for foreign fetches a lot the last couple months, though. My fetch stock has been weird since I've gone through like three sets of Flooded Strands and now I only have 3, but I have multiple sets of Wooded Foothills left over.

I drafted a lot of triple KTK.

Angry Grimace

If I had any fucking clue how to use Cockatrice I would attempt to play that deck. The starting hands I'm getting on deckstats make it look amusing as fuck.

You better snatch them up now, they aren't going to get any cheaper. As soon as the Battletangobofalands got revealed I finished buying the few I needed to have a full playset.

EDIT: Oh, well nevermind.

The issue is mostly that my modern deck is double sleeved and I don't double sleeve standard decks, so moving it back and forth would be a bit of a pain. Not enough of a pain that I'm going to pay $100 to buy 4 more Polluted Deltas, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom