• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socat

I don't know modern super well, but something I always saw with Knight of the Reliquary back in his hayday was Sejiri Steppe as a 1 or 2 of for protection, not sure if that still applies, otherwise looks sweet.

Yea, I totally spaced and forgot about Sejiri Steppe, which I actually just ordered a set of, so I will have to find a land to cut for it

edit: Since I have never gotten to actually activate Kessig Wolf Run in a game, I might swap it for Sejiri Steppe

MjFrancis

4x Tarmogoyf
4x Knight of the Reliquary
4x Noble Heirarch
1x Birds of Paradise
2x Voice of Resurgence
2x Qasali Pridemage
1x Scavenging Ooze
4x Wild Nacatl

4x Path to Exile
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Collected Company
2x Retreat to Coralhelm

4x Wooded Foothills
4x Arid Mesa
4x Windswept Heath
4x Stomping Grounds
3x Sacred Foundry
1x Temple Garden
1x Kessig Wolf Run
2x Forest
2x Plains

SB
2x Magus of the Moon
2x Kataki, War's Wage
2x Stony Silence
2x Grim Lavamancer
2x Roast
2x Grafdigger's Cage
3x Anger of the Gods

Anyone have any changes that they think I should make?
It stands out to me that you only have five sources of blue to cast Retreat to Coralhelm, all mana dorks. Maybe a single Breeding Pool or something with blue to fetch, just in case your dorks never show up/get bolted straight away? That way Knight can dig up a blue source too.

Zavist

I am trying to build a casual BW knight deck around Haakon, Stromgald Scourge in modern. What is the best way to tutor for him and discard him for cc => 3? Liliana and dimir machinations,peace of mind- anything better in BW?

Socat

It stands out to me that you only have five sources of blue to cast Retreat to Coralhelm, all mana dorks. Maybe a single Breeding Pool or something with blue to fetch, just in case your dorks never show up/get bolted straight away? That way Knight can dig up a blue source too.

Maybe cut the Birds for a Breeding Pool? I am always very on the fence about the birds, and going to 26 lands doesnt seem like a bad idea. And CoCo hitting BoP is just feelbads

Firemind

I am trying to build a casual BW knight deck around Haakon, Stromgald Scourge in modern. What is the best way to tutor for him and discard him for cc => 3? Liliana and dimir machinations,peace of mind- anything better in BW?
Play four of him and discard with Smallpox and LotV. Use Flagstones of Trokair.

Socat

I don't know modern super well, but something I always saw with Knight of the Reliquary back in his hayday was Sejiri Steppe as a 1 or 2 of for protection, not sure if that still applies, otherwise looks sweet.

V2.0

4x Tarmogoyf
4x Noble Heirarch
2x Voice of Resurgence
2x Qasali Pridemage
1x Scavenging Ooze
4x Wild Nacatl

4x Path to Exile
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Collected Company
2x Retreat to Coralhelm

4x Wooded Foothills
4x Arid Mesa
4x Windswept Heath
4x Stomping Grounds
2x Sacred Foundry
1x Temple Garden
1x Breeding Pool
1x Kessig Wolf Run
1x Sejiri Steppe
2x Forest
2x Plains

SB
2x Magus of the Moon
2x Kataki, War's Wage
2x Stony Silence
2x Grim Lavamancer
2x Roast
2x Grafdigger's Cage
3x Anger of the Gods

Just realized that Retreat to Coralhelm could break up splinter twin combo too, which is a neat bonus.

Edit: Well not break up the combo, but at least give myself a turn to win or kill the creature

MjFrancis

Maybe cut the Birds for a Breeding Pool? I am always very on the fence about the birds, and going to 26 lands doesnt seem like a bad idea. And CoCo hitting BoP is just feelbads
Twenty-six lands doesn't seem right, most 4c Zoo builds I'm seeing are still running 22-23 lands.

I like Birds, even if it is a bad Collected Company hit. Fixes mana and allows T3 threats on T2. I run 6 mana dorks in my Goyf-less budget build.

I'd suppose if you want the combo to be more reliable I'd move up to 3 or 4 Retreat to Coralhelms.

Getting rid of Kessig Wolf Run seems right though. No room for colorless mana in a 4c Zoo list, even if it does break board stalls in my own Big Zoo deck. Retreat to Coralhelm is your board breaker now, lol.

I also want at least 22 creatures I'd want to hit off of Collected Company. That'd give you 21 threats, a little less than I like to run. [cleared this sentence up a bit]

And since I'm a slow typer, you've updated your list. I'll have to adjust a couple things. I'm no expert, keep in mind, just sharing some thoughts. I've done zero testing with Coralhelm.

MjFrancis

V2.1 :)

4x Tarmogoyf
4x Noble Heirarch
2x Voice of Resurgence
2x Qasali Pridemage
2x Scavenging Ooze
4x Wild Nacatl
2x Birds of Paradise

3x Path to Exile
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Collected Company
3x Retreat to Coralhelm

4x Wooded Foothills
4x Arid Mesa
4x Windswept Heath
3x Stomping Grounds
2x Sacred Foundry
1x Temple Garden
1x Breeding Pool
1x Sejiri Steppe
2x Forest
1x Plains
That's where I'd start with testing. Put one Path in the Side, dropped lands to 23, added a Coralhelm, and kept two Birds in for six mana dorks. Added an Ooze too, so you have 22 relevant hits off of Collected Company.

Socat

Twenty-six lands doesn't seem right, most 4c Zoo builds I'm seeing are still running 22-23 lands.

I like Birds, even if it is a bad Collected Company hit. Fixes mana and allows T3 threats on T2. I run 6 mana dorks in my Goyf-less budget build.

I'd suppose if you want the combo to be more reliable I'd move up to 3 or 4 Retreat to Coralhelms.

Getting rid of Kessig Wolf Run seems right though. No room for colorless mana in a 4c Zoo list, even if it does break board stalls in my own Big Zoo deck. Retreat to Coralhelm is your board breaker now, lol.

I also want at least 22 creatures I'd want to hit off of Collected Company. If you cut your only bird, that'd give you 21 threats.

And since I'm a slow typer, you've updated your list. I'll have to adjust a couple things. I'm no expert, keep in mind, just sharing some thoughts. I've done zero testing with Coralhelm.

Friend of mine made a good point about KWR is that even activating it for 0 gives knight trample, which is definitely one reason to keep it in. I can probably cut a plains and put the BoP back in. The reason for the extra basics is post-board to avoid getting too hosed by my own magus of the moon and still being able to cast most of my cards.

ironmang

Ugh why does Shardless BUG have to be so expensive. That seems like the only Tier 1 deck post-dig that I'll be able to tolerate playing (hate miracles) and doesn't require this super special $800 land that I can't use in anything else. Having $4000+ in a deck I'll get to play in a big tournament once every couple months seems wrong. Really the only way I can justify picking up the rest of the pieces is that I'm mostly using pieces from broken down decks and trade fodder that's been in my binder for months.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's where I'd start with testing. Put one Path in the Side, dropped lands to 23, added a Coralhelm, and kept two Birds in for six mana dorks. Added an Ooze too, so you have 22 relevant hits off of Collected Company.

You're in Bant; play Geist of Saint Traft.

Oh wait, its like 4c without any real way to cast Coralhelm.

Cut the combo and just play Naya Zoo tbh

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I keep looking at that list and I keep wanting to go Bant with it. After all, we're adding blue for Coralheim. Doesn't it make sense that we'd want something to protect the combo? If not, then we're hooking into fringe cases where an opponent is tapped out and we're on turn 3-4 and we have both of those cards in play, right? If we want to be about that combo, then we need to be able to protect against Path, Vapor Snag, Bolt, Dismember. In normal zoo, all your stuff is cheap, so you don't care so much about it and you want Bolts and Helixes.

I dunno. How much worse are we looking with 2x Dispel and Negates? Then you can swap out Birds for Heirachs for added power.

EDIT: Dammit Grimace.

MjFrancis

Friend of mine made a good point about KWR is that even activating it for 0 gives knight trample, which is definitely one reason to keep it in. I can probably cut a plains and put the BoP back in. The reason for the extra basics is post-board to avoid getting too hosed by my own magus of the moon and still being able to cast most of my cards.
Do testing, by all means, this deck is completely new and I'd want to see where the combo takes me were I in your shoes. More dorks to survive your post-board Magus seems decent to me too. Kessig Wolf Run for zero is nice, but you're tapping down blockers with Retreat to Coralhelm after you've pumped up your Knight, right? Seems redundant.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I keep looking at that list and I keep wanting to go Bant with it. After all, we're adding blue for Coralheim. Doesn't it make sense that we'd want something to protect the combo? If not, then we're hooking into fringe cases where an opponent is tapped out and we're on turn 3-4 and we have both of those cards in play, right? If we want to be about that combo, then we need to be able to protect against Path, Vapor Snag, Bolt, Dismember. In normal zoo, all your stuff is cheap, so you don't care so much about it and you want Bolts and Helixes.

I dunno. How much worse are we looking with 2x Dispel and Negates? Then you can swap out Birds for Heirachs for added power.

Going blue doesn't even dilute your power level all that much; Geist of Saint Traft is really powerful, especially if you have a Hierarch or two on board.

Plus you get to play Jace + Serum Visions to dig for the combo.

MjFrancis

I'd prefer Bant over 4c myself. I'm actually going to stay on Naya Big Zoo and keep two Dromoka's Commands mainboard to stave off shenanigans like Coralhem, lol. Put a third in the board.

So I guess I take that first statement back, since I wouldn't do it myself. I just want to play with Geist again.

Socat

Ugh why does Shardless BUG have to be so expensive. That seems like the only Tier 1 deck post-dig that I'll be able to tolerate playing (hate miracles) and doesn't require this super special $800 land that I can't use in anything else. Having $4000+ in a deck I'll get to play in a big tournament once every couple months seems wrong. Really the only way I can justify picking up the rest of the pieces is that I'm mostly using pieces from broken down decks and trade fodder that's been in my binder for months.

Hence why I don't play Legacy, so much money sank into decks that you can't play every week unless you have a very active nearby scene for it

Socat

Going blue doesn't even dilute your power level all that much; Geist of Saint Traft is really powerful, especially if you have a Hierarch or two on board.

Plus you get to play Jace + Serum Visions to dig for the combo.

I think a Bant version would be different enough to warrant a complete rebuild rather than augmenting a zoo strategy like the one I prefer

MjFrancis

I'll say this, I do like the idea of the 4c build, splashing for just 3 Coralhem in that without the combo, you still have a good Zoo deck. You aren't relying on Coralhem to win games, but if needed Zoo now has a way to combo and beat other combo decks at their own gameplan.

WanderingWind

4x Tarmogoyf
4x Noble Heirarch
2x Voice of Resurgence
2x Qasali Pridemage
1x Scavenging Ooze
4x Wild Nacatl
2x Geist of St. Traft

4x Path to Exile
2x Dispel
2x Negate
3x Collected Company
3x Retreat to Coralhelm

4x Wooded Foothills
4x Windswept Heath
4x Temple Garden
3x Flooded Strand
2x Hallowed Fountain
2x Breeding Pool
2x Forest
1x Plains
1x Island

SB is where it gets tricker to diverge from your list.

Socat

4x Tarmogoyf
4x Noble Heirarch
2x Voice of Resurgence
2x Qasali Pridemage
1x Scavenging Ooze
4x Wild Nacatl
2x Geist of St. Traft

4x Path to Exile
2x Dispel
2x Negate
3x Collected Company
3x Retreat to Coralhelm

4x Wooded Foothills
4x Windswept Heath
4x Temple Garden
3x Flooded Strand
2x Hallowed Fountain
2x Breeding Pool
2x Forest
1x Plains
1x Island

SB is where it gets tricker to diverge from your list.

Still would rather be 4c to include bolts and SB plans for magus, lavamancer and sweepers without conditional counterspells

WanderingWind

Still would rather be 4c to include bolts and SB plans for magus, lavamancer and sweepers without conditional counterspells

I love all those things too, but if the goal of the deck is to play off the combo, you sort of have to make concessions somewhere. Also, you're mentioning conditional counterspells. In this case, the conditional aspect is wholly irrelevant. You're already going narrow by using a combo that doesn't win you the game (ala Splinter Twin).

- Run the combo with no protection and have it only possible under the most unlikely of circumstance = getting cute in Magical Christmasland.

- Run ways to protect the combo = adding more blue, means something has to go. You can't cut more green or white. Yes, you lose bolt but you gain the potential to actually cast your combo. Also, Geist is spicy.

It's worth pointing out that the combo can never exist against jund or BGx. Ultimate feel bad having the combo pieces finally assembled and be staring down a lingering souls. In that regard, KWR makes sense. What good is having a 20/20 dumb guy with no protection and no evasion?

Socat

I'll say this, I do like the idea of the 4c build, splashing for just 3 Coralhem in that without the combo, you still have a good Zoo deck. You aren't relying on Coralhem to win games, but if needed Zoo now has a way to combo and beat other combo decks at their own gameplan.

Yeah, that is my thinking as well, Coralhelm does definitely offer some much needed flexibility to the deck , which is always awesome. I hesitate to take out a path only because it stops most of the fatties around here in my meta. 3 Coralhelms is where I wanted to start originally, so I think going back to that is a good idea . I cut a plains out of the v2.1 list you posted, but kept KWR and added another scooze to get back to 22 CoCo targets. Still unsure about BoP

MjFrancis

I like this list from Mtgsalvation:
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/tier-2-modern/565682-zoo-video-primer?comment=5137

4 Noble Hierarch
4 Wild Nacatl
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Qasali Pridemage
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Knight of the Reliquary
3 Geist of Saint Traft
1 Loxodon Smiter

4 Lightning Bolt
3 Path to Exile
3 Retreat to Coralhelm
3 Collected Company

4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Arid Mesa
2 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Breeding Pool
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Sejiri Steppe
1 Forest
1 Plains

Would need more testing than what he's done, but it seems like a good direction to go with the Coralhelm combo.

Note that he seems to hate Magus in the SB at 4c, not too surprising.

He also doesn't run Birds.

Socat

I love all those things too, but if the goal of the deck is to play off the combo, you sort of have to make concessions somewhere. Also, you're mentioning conditional counterspells. In this case, the conditional aspect is wholly irrelevant. You're already going narrow by using a combo that doesn't win you the game (ala Splinter Twin).

- Run the combo with no protection and have it only possible under the most unlikely of circumstance = getting cute in Magical Christmasland.

- Run ways to protect the combo = adding more blue, means something has to go. You can't cut more green or white. Yes, you lose bolt but you gain the potential to actually cast your combo. Also, Geist is spicy.

It's worth pointing out that the combo can never exist against jund or BGx. Ultimate feel bad having the combo pieces finally assembled and be staring down a lingering souls. In that regard, KWR makes sense. What good is having a 20/20 dumb guy with no protection and no evasion?

With the combo vs jund/abzan, you can tap their creatures with RtC once you reach critical mass of lands in the yard, and if one knight dies, the other 3 in the deck are just waiting to hammer them

Angry Grimace

I think a Bant version would be different enough to warrant a complete rebuild rather than augmenting a zoo strategy like the one I prefer
LSV's list:

Creature (20)

4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Birds of Paradise
2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 Geist of Saint Traft

Sorcery (4)

4 Serum Visions

Instant (9)

3 Path to Exile
2 Mana Leak
2 Bant Charm
2 Dromoka's Command

Enchantment (4)

4 Retreat to Coralhelm

Land (23)
4 Windswept Heath
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Flooded Strand
2 Temple Garden
2 Breeding Pool
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Forest
1 Plains
1 Island
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Sejiri Steppe
1 Horizon Canopy
60 Cards

Socat

My problem with the Geist is that it just gets eaten by any number of random creatures since it has no natural evasion and 2 toughness. A knight is normally 3/3 at the very least and that definitely makes a difference around here.

WanderingWind

With the combo vs jund/abzan, you can tap their creatures with RtC once you reach critical mass of lands in the yard, and if one knight dies, the other 3 in the deck are just waiting to hammer them

You have a point on the first, not so much on the second. It's already asking a lot out of a combo with no dig, no instant win and no protections. Now we're also planning on drawing more of the pieces should our unprotected pieces be killed.

LSVs list fixes both of those problems, even if it's no longer Zoo. I just feel like your decklist is relying too much on perfect conditions for you and terrible conditions for your opponent. I never liked making decks that are based on the sweetest possible outcome.

Well, in competitive deckbuilding, which considering the Goyfs is what I'm assuming you're going for.

Kerrinck

Shouldn't Jace be in these CoCo lists? He seems pretty strong since CoCo gets him and you can flash it back again after he flips.

WanderingWind

My problem with the Geist is that it just gets eaten by any number of random creatures since it has no natural evasion and 2 toughness. A knight is normally 3/3 at the very least and that definitely makes a difference around here.

Bro. You're worried about Geist getting eaten but not about the fragility of the combo? I are confused.

WanderingWind

The combo is just a secondary path to winning in the list, not the focus. It's still a 4c zoo list, with a sweet trick or two that can catch people.

Eh. We're not going to see eye to eye on this. I don't particularly think "sweet tricks" have any room in competitive deckbuilds. If they fit naturally, sure, go nuts. But trying to cram an extra color and weakening the overall idea of a deck to fit an unprotected, not searchable, potentially shuffled away (CoCo hits on Coralheim, it's 2 pings - no creature and your combo is now at the bottom of the deck) seems bad.

I'm not saying the combo isn't sweet, or really powerful, but I don't think just cramming the combo into an unsupported shell is really the way to go. It seems the pros building around it are agreeing so far. But who knows, you may have the next Splinter Twin on your hands.

Socat

Eh. We're not going to see eye to eye on this. I don't particularly think "sweet tricks" have any room in competitive deckbuilds. If they fit naturally, sure, go nuts. But trying to cram an extra color and weakening the overall idea of a deck to fit an unprotected, not searchable, potentially shuffled away (CoCo hits on Coralheim, it's 2 pings - no creature and your combo is now at the bottom of the deck) seems bad.

I'm not saying the combo isn't sweet, or really powerful, but I don't think just cramming the combo into an unsupported shell is really the way to go. It seems the pros building around it are agreeing so far. But who knows, you may have the next Splinter Twin on your hands.

I agree that we are taking the combo two different ways, and if I had the money for Jaces I would get them. I have the Geists and might try them out, but I will see how my version does this week. Not like I am going to pro level events regularly, so I admit that it's not optimal for that.

Turns out Retreat to Coralhelm is really good at clearing the way for Geist of St Traft to attack.

Also, the more I look at it, the more I think a RtC deck should have 0 CoCos.

Angry Grimace

Geist of Saint Traft is better than Wild Nacatl in pretty much every circumstance.

You're playing a Coralhelm deck anyways; tap their blockers down even if you don't have the combo available.

MjFrancis

Splinter Twin has a 4-6 ratio of combo/enablers minimum, with lots of card draw and protection. And they still don't depend on the combo generally (All-In Twin isn't really a thing anymore, right?). Knight/Coralhelm is being tested in a 4-4 or less ratio, it will need more card draw than Twin to be at least as reliable as that combo. It will be like Twin in the early days where people will test an all-in version, generally do well with it, but when people switch their MB and SB's to deal with it you're going to need a good plan B.

Naya Zoo already has that, except it's Plan A. Coralhelm is a tweak to the deck, whether it's just 3-4 copies of that or full 4c with some Geists in there too. Some of the other decks seem closer to a Bant Delver list than a Bant Zoo list, which is fine, it's just not the same thing anymore. Again, kind of like how different Twin variations can get, some are better for some metas than others.

Crackling Jeskai Burn

16 Creatures
  • 2 Seeker of the Way
  • 2 Soulfire Grandmaster
  • 4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
  • 4 Abbot of Keral Keep
  • 4 Mantis Rider

20 Spells
  • 2 Wild Slash
  • 4 Crackling Doom
  • 4 Jeskai Charm
  • 4 Exquisite Firecraft
  • 3 Ojutai's Command
  • 3 Dig Through Time

24 Land:
  • 4 Mystic Monastery
  • 2 Caves of Koilos
  • 1 Battlefield Forge
  • 4 Flooded Strand
  • 4 Polluted Delta
  • 1 Prarie Stream
  • 1 Sunken Hollow
  • 1 Smoldering Marsh
  • 2 Plains
  • 2 Mountain
  • 2 Island

Sideboard:
  • 1 Dragonlord Silumgar
  • 3 Arc Lightning
  • 2 Wild Slash
  • 2 Valorous Stance
  • 4 Outpost Siege
  • 2 Disdainful Stroke
  • 1 Dispel

Can't cast Geist T1

Land, Simian Spirit Guide, Simian Spirit Guide, Manamorphose, Geist

Angry Grimace

AMA with Rosewater in two hours, where the burning question of where Kramer from Seinfeld fits in the color pie will be answered.

Why would you even need an AMA you can interact with him just as easily on his blog

Also, an unrealistic 4c deck sounds like GB alright like you're aware Crackling Doom is three colors for a reason right

Haines

Banned
Played a couple games of packwars from bfz.

Super fun and i can get packs for 4 bucks each from a guy so cheaper than going to a draft and such so might take that path to learn the game instead. Then just sell anything i get to try and recoup costs.

Angry Grimace

WTB Unburial Rites, Scrubland, Exhume, etc.

GTK8g3J.png

Massacre Wurm would be fun as well

Why would you even need an AMA you can interact with him just as easily on his blog

Also, an unrealistic 4c deck sounds like GB alright like you're aware Crackling Doom is three colors for a reason right

I do need to tweak the mana because I'm a little short on red for casting two spells a turn later on, but frankly 4c to splash one card is fine when you're playing off-color fetches for tangos anyway. Crackling Doom is a perfect Jeskai card, it deals with big creatures like Rhino and Dragonlord Dromoka that Jeskai traditionally had problems with(resorting to mediocre cards like Roast or bouncing with Jeskai Charm) while progressing the burn plan. And Dragonlord Silumgar is just an awesome sideboard card for anybody that can play it. 3 for 1-ing a ramp deck that can't really remove it is the best.

Angry Grimace

I obviously know what I'm doing

gCOVCjv.png

(Yes, I am sad as fuck I don't have Unburial Rites or Dark Ritual)

I'm still upset that the "Legacy" distinction in Legacy cube means that Strip Mine/Crucible can't be in the cube. I still get a half-chub thinking about the Braids/Karakas+Strip Mine/Crucible decks I used to draft.

Angry Grimace

Aaaaand of course I got paired with the fucking guy who walked away from his computer (hence why deckbuilding took all 10 minutes).

FFS I hate people in this game

Aaaaand of course I got paired with the fucking guy who walked away from his computer (hence why deckbuilding took all 10 minutes).

FFS I hate people in this game

The secret is that this is why people play Hearthstone and don't play MTGO. It's not (just) the client. It's the fact that Magic actually doesn't work online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom