• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

My problem with the Geist is that it just gets eaten by any number of random creatures since it has no natural evasion and 2 toughness. A knight is normally 3/3 at the very least and that definitely makes a difference around here.
Not sure if serious.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm on such incredible fucking tilt. I paid to play the game, not just sit here for AN HOUR because some numbnuts is mad his deck sucks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The only way to win is not to play.

They need a penalty for abandoning games. I don't care how fair that is or whether it comports with the paper rules, this is fucking bullshit, I don't want to spend $10 and 30 minutes to not play Magic.

Firemind

That is the worst cube deck I have ever seen...

You'll probably 3-0.

Edit: Do something else. It's not like you have to be glued to your computer.

Matriox

Saffron Olive ‏@SaffronOlive · 29s29 seconds ago
So early reports from the #bfz case cracking crew is that you'll get closer to two Expeditions per box.

I'll be the guy that doesn't pull any.

Angry Grimace

Round 2 report:

T1: Deathrite Shaman
T2: Doom Blade other guy's Grim Lavamancer
T3: Geralf's Messenger

*Opponent disconnects and leaves*

Fuck this shit.

Angry Grimace

IDK, it pisses me off because now I can't go get lunch, I have to fucking sit here and wait for another round to start but I'm not actually having any fun.

Angry Grimace

You're probably beyond help if you decided to open a case of Battle for Zendikar.

Matriox

You're probably beyond help if you decided to open a case of Battle for Zendikar.

I do presales for stuff I don't need. I'm up $55 and keep any expeditions/lands/foils, and got to play at 3 prereleases.

Usually it does better, and this prelease wasn't super fun compared to the past, but when you sell stuff like Dragonlord Kolaghan presale at $17 each it becomes really easy to play Prereleases* for free and make money off presales.

ElyrionX

Round 2 report:

T1: Deathrite Shaman
T2: Doom Blade other guy's Grim Lavamancer
T3: Geralf's Messenger

*Opponent disconnects and leaves*

Fuck this shit.

This is less likely to happen if there is some kind of Elo ranking system in place for MTGO. But then this is Wizards so we are more likely to see the Reserved List being torn up than genuine improvements to the digital product.

Angry Grimace

I did finally get to play in the finals, and I completely and utterly wrecked my opponent with my "bad" deck, I guess I technically did go 3-0.

Erebos was like my best card. I gained a bunch of life off of Sorin Markov/Divinity of Pride and then used Nykthos to make a bunch of mana and draw four cards per turn cycle and nothing could really kill Erebos and even an Akroma's Vengeance, Day of Judgment and Supreme Verdict in one game wasn't really enough to keep him from turning on and bashing. It was gross. Not only is this the only time I ever recall using Erebo's card draw ability, its also the only time I remember the card being good at anything.

Also, opponent taps out for a Baneslayer Angel when they're at 2, drop a Sheoldred on my turn, yesssssssssss.

If I want to get back into Magic is the iPad game decent? Obviously games are too long to play Hearthstone-style, but can you play with other people? Can you fully customize decks or just edit pre-existing ones?

Last time I played was Shadowmoor block and I've gotten the itch to get back in.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180474596]"I feel Devoid is the design decision that I am happiest with in all of Battle for Zendikar." - Mark Rosewater[/QUOTE]

lmao...
oh for some reason i thought this said all of magic. whoops that is significantly less ridiculous

I do like how he's shitting on quidditch though

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180475642]Also, Hedron Crab was in BFZ but they cut it :-([/QUOTE]

Do Retreat to Coralhelm/KotR decks run Hedron Crab? Seems like another nice win condition.

Angry Grimace

Do Retreat to Coralhelm/KotR decks run Hedron Crab? Seems like another nice win condition.

No, because turning a 2-card combo into a 3-card combo is bad.

Even if you clear out all of the land in your deck and somehow your KOTR dies, you have 4 Mana Dorks + nothing but gas in the deck. You're still probably favored to win.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
No, because turning a 2-card combo into a 3-card combo is bad.

Even if you clear out all of the land in your deck and somehow your KOTR dies, you have 4 Mana Dorks + nothing but gas in the deck. You're still probably favored to win.

Right. Forgot that Retreat lets you tap your opponent's creatures, opening the door for KotR. I was thinking that KotR needed a third card to give it some form of evasion (Kessig Wolf Run?) to actually push damage through against a lot of decks.

JulianImp

If I want to get back into Magic is the iPad game decent? Obviously games are too long to play Hearthstone-style, but can you play with other people? Can you fully customize decks or just edit pre-existing ones?

Last time I played was Shadowmoor block and I've gotten the itch to get back in.

Here's the thread for Magic Duels (which I think is the game you're talking about): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076927

The game's very grind-dependent if you want to unlock cards outside of your starting pool. You get six cards per pack, and they cost 150 in-game coins, which equals to winning ten duels against hard AI with its random decks (which isn't all that hard and awards you 15 coins per win) or eight wins against human opponents (20 coins per win).

There is a deck wizard that forces you to take whichever cards it wants, but you can also build your own deck from scratch. The only big restriction in Duels is that the number of copies of a card you can have in any given deck (or open in booster packs, thankfully) is directly proportional to how rare the card is (commons: 4; uncommons: 3; rares: 2; mythic rares: 1 per deck).

While it isn't all that fun after a while, I'd say it's somewhat decent for learning the game or getting back into it after a while without having to pay money upfront like in MTGO.

Here's the thread for Magic Duels (which I think is the game you're talking about): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076927

The game's very grind-dependent if you want to unlock cards outside of your starting pool. You get six cards per pack, and they cost 150 in-game coins, which equals to winning ten duels against hard AI with its random decks (which isn't all that hard and awards you 15 coins per win) or eight wins against human opponents (20 coins per win).

There is a deck wizard that forces you to take whichever cards it wants, but you can also build your own deck from scratch. The only big restriction in Duels is that the number of copies of a card you can have in any given deck (or open in booster packs, thankfully) is directly proportional to how rare the card is (commons: 4; uncommons: 3; rares: 2; mythic rares: 1 per deck).

While it isn't all that fun after a while, I'd say it's somewhat decent for learning the game or getting back into it after a while without having to pay money upfront like in MTGO.

Thanks, sounds good. Typically when I get the urge to get back into Magic I obsess over it for a few weeks and then lose interest again, so I figure this is better than spending a ton of money on physical cards.

I wonder why they changed the rules, that card limit being dependent on rarity thing seems like a really bizarre modification of the rules.

Angry Grimace

Right. Forgot that Retreat lets you tap your opponent's creatures, opening the door for KotR. I was thinking that KotR needed a third card to give it some form of evasion (Kessig Wolf Run?) to actually push damage through against a lot of decks.

Tap their guys out, fetch a Sejiri Steppe to get protection from black so it doesn't die to Abrupt Decay.

More Fairy Tale world hinting
We've had Greek world (Theros). We've had gothic-horror world (Innistrad). We've had adventure world (Zendikar). You've also spoken of other worlds you may wish to go to in the future, such as Egyptian world.

What world would you personally love to do, if you got the nod for it tomorrow, aside from Un3 world?

I love worlds that have a lot of genre tropes. The idea of a dark fairy tale world (more central Europe than Celtic which was Shadowmoor) intrigues me.

Context
Hey Maro! I don't agree with this sentiment, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Some people have expressed that the devoid mechanic is similar to making a creatureless set where creatures just say "This isn't a creature" but behave in all other ways like a creature or a no-instant set where some sorceries have flash. They consider it an "easy way out" for designing around a self-imposed restriction.

What are your thoughts on these arguments, or on the thought that devoid was an "easy way out?"

Devoid plays an important role both in marking all the Eldrazi so we can mechanically interact with them while also giving them a distinct quality that both feels alien and allowed us to visually set them apart. The "colorless matters" theme is also a very important mechanical theme of the set. On top of that, it allowed us to interact with a strong theme from the block before it (morph/face down cards) adding a new element to Standard.

It was design's intent that Devoid be conveyed from solely the frame. When playtesting showed that wasn't possible we used a keyword as it was the only solution that worked.

Devoid is the exact opposite of an "easy way out". It was an elegant design solution to a complex series of problems. So much so, that I feel Devoid is the design decision that I am happiest with in all of Battle for Zendikar.

Tap their guys out, fetch a Sejiri Steppe to get protection from black so it doesn't die to Abrupt Decay.

that still makes the knight susceptible to abrupt decay for a whole turn, it's not like Twin where you can play exarch EoT and Twin while your opponent is tapped out.

Ideally you'd go turn 1 dork, turn 2 Knight turn 3 retreat? Actually that doesn't sound too hard to pull off. Also can use the mana to cast path to exile to make room I guess.

Don't have the rest of the deck in mind but I guess you still play Bant value cards.

Angry Grimace

that still makes the knight susceptible to abrupt decay for a whole turn, it's not like Twin where you can play exarch EoT and Twin while your opponent is tapped out.

Ideally you'd go turn 1 dork, turn 2 Knight turn 3 retreat? Actually that doesn't sound too hard to pull off. Also can use the mana to cast path to exile to make room I guess.

Don't have the rest of the deck in mind but I guess you still play Bant value cards.
You're forgetting that Knight of the Reliquary is dramatically better than Deciever Exarch anyways.

You're forgetting that Knight of the Reliquary is dramatically better than Deciever Exarch anyways.

Knight dies to bolt unless you fetched twice already though the turn it comes into play.

Shouldn't there be some Ghost Quarters in the deck? It can provide multiple landfall triggers like a fetch and destroy crucial components of the opponents deck.

Angry Grimace

Knight dies to bolt unless you fetched twice already though the turn it comes into play.

Shouldn't there be some Ghost Quarters in the deck? It can provide multiple landfall triggers like a fetch and destroy crucial components of the opponents deck.
I don't understand why you are so worried about Knight of the Reliquary dying. People play Knight of the Reliquary right now all the time because it frequently comes into play as a 6/6 for 3 mana. Knight of the Reliquary is already a proven to be good enough card in Modern to see play.

I'm a little baffled at having to defend Knight of the Reliquary or Geist of Saint Traft as stand-alone creatures in Modern.

I don't understand why you are so worried about Knight of the Reliquary dying. People play Knight of the Reliquary right now all the time because it frequently comes into play as a 6/6 for 3 mana. Knight of the Reliquary is already a proven to be good enough card in Modern to see play.

It's absolutely a great card I was merely just hypothesizing the earliest the combo can go off and what can go wrong. It's definitely better than Exarch but as part of the combo early game Exarch is probably a more resilient component

I'm sure it can win by its own merit. It was just played a lot in Junk couple weeks ago.

I love Traft it's just an amazing card.

Angry Grimace

It's absolutely a great card I was merely just hypothesizing the earliest the combo can go off and what can go wrong. It's definitely better than Exarch but as part of the combo early game Exarch is probably a more resilient component

I'm sure it can win by its own merit. It was just played a lot in Junk couple weeks ago.

I love Traft it's just an amazing card.

Turn 3, you'd need Hierarch T1, T2 Knight without it dying (it could theoretcially be out of bolt range here if you cracked Fetches turns 1 and 2), T3 Coralhelm and then go off.

Turn 3, you'd need Hierarch T1, T2 Knight without it dying (it could theoretcially be out of bolt range here if you cracked Fetches turns 1 and 2), T3 Coralhelm and then go off.

But that's what I said

Knight dies to bolt unless you fetched twice already

Anyways why not play Ghost quarter though??

Edit: nvm there's a ghost quarter included in decklist just missed it.

Violet_0

Banned
I wonder why they changed the rules, that card limit being dependent on rarity thing seems like a really bizarre modification of the rules.

it's probably more welcoming for newer player because it limits the power difference between deck, and honestly I quite like it that way - otherwise you'd just be facing the exact same decks as in paper. The Duels meta will be quite a bit different from what you'll in standard because of the rarity restriction

Angry Grimace

But that's what I said

Anyways why not play Ghost quarter though?

You need your lands to bring other lands into play. The only spot you have to play with is the single Sejiri Steppe. If you actually wanted to use the mana you're pulling up you'd probably have to play Battlelands over Shocks because you can't afford to pay the life to get them all into play untapped + fetch stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom