• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well hopefully this goes better. Seems dece, but it's pretty light on removal and doesn't do anything broken.

ll0YeDK.jpg

Haines

Banned
Hi im new to magic.

I was reviewing the new sets cards to prepare for my first draft and i stumbled upon a card i dont understand is fair.

The card is crumble to dust.

It reads like it would let me look at my opponents hand, and library and if i knew the cards well enough by image, pretty much know his entire deck that im facing when im done.

This feels like a big deal to me. So why....isnt it?

Demonic Pact is da best. Been playing that sultai list (minus Thoughseize) that placed 2nd at the latest SCG Open and it's pretty solid. Pact + Jace on the board for any amount of time is almost always lethal card advantage.

Hi im new to magic.

I was reviewing the new sets cards to prepare for my first draft and i stumbled upon a card i dont understand is fair.

It reads like it would let me look at my opponents hand, and library and if i knew the cards well enough by image, pretty much know his entire deck that im facing when im done.

It is very useful but 95% of the decks you'll encounter fall into a common archetype and if you're familiar with the current metagame, you'll already have a good idea of what their deck looks like. There are only a handful of decks considered the most powerful at any given time and those are what most people play. Getting a look at their hand is honestly more helpful that looking at their library.

Haines

Banned
It is very useful but 95% of the decks you'll encounter fall into a common archetype and if you're familiar with the current metagame, you'll already have a good idea of what their deck looks like. There are only a handful of decks considered the most powerful at any given time and those are what most people play. Getting a look at their hand is honestly more helpful that looking at their library.

That makes a lot of sense to me. I play hearthstone so i understand the whole meta thing.

What about dragonmaster outcast? Shit is 1 freaking mana. How can that ever be bad.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Got completely and utterly wrecked first round 0-2 by some guy with Sneak Attack, Kiki-Jiki and Zealous Conscripts.

Hi im new to magic.

Crumble to Dust is a good card under certain circumstances, but those conditions aren't present in drafts.

The card chooses a nonbasic land that your opponents already have on the battlefield, exiles it, and exiles it anywhere else it could be. As a reminder, nonbasic lands are any land other than a basic Plains, Forest, etc.

The problems are:
* It requires a nonbasic land. If your opponent doesn't have any, this card is dead in your hand. Opponents will be less likely to have nonbasic lands on the battlefield in Limited formats, even in a set heavy on them like Battle for Zendikar.
* To be really good, your opponent has to have multiple copies of the card in his or her deck. This is even less likely than the above situation in Limited.
* Extracting the extra cards from your opponent's library doesn't really matter, since it's likely the opponent could just never draw them in the first place. You only really get extra bang for your buck if the extra card is in your opponent's hand. Which, again, is even less likely than the above.
* If your opponent has two copies of the card on the battlefield, it doesn't actually hit the other: it searches the hand, library, and graveyard, not the battlefield.
* Even just as a land destruction spell, having to spend four mana often means you cast it too late for it to really matter. Even if you set your opponent back a turn, that opponent is probably still able to cast spells, and you just spent a turn slowing them down just a bit.

The spell is good under certain circumstances, but not in Limited.

That makes a lot of sense to me. I play hearthstone so i understand the whole meta thing.

What about dragonmaster outcast? Shit is 1 freaking mana. How can that ever be bad.

Well, it's good when you have seven lands out. But it's terrible before that, as just a 1/1 creature. To use it most effectively, you should wait until you already have seven lands out before casting it, and games often end before that. Mind, the card is fine in Limited, where games are perfectly able to go on that long.

Angry Grimace

I don't think Sowing Salt is ever good for what its worth.

Haines

Banned
i was just reading about a hearthstone player, reynad, quit magic bc he doesnt support hex proof.

Is hex proof a thing a lot pf people dislike?

i was just reading about a hearthstone player, reynad, quit magic bc he doesnt support hex proof.

Is hex proof a thing a lot pf people dislike?

It's generally disliked. It's extraordinarily powerful, and it's fine in certain places, but if it ends up on the wrong creature, it makes life miserable. For example, Thrun the Last Troll was generally accepted, but Geist of St Traft and Invisible Stalker were reviled.

Haines

Banned
I could see how it could be a frustrating mechanic but maybe a neccesary one. I remember in hearthstone the designers saying they werent going to make any more "silence" cards bc as a player you would lay these sweet as minion on the field like tirion and it just gets bricked. So kind of same thing, let the cards live a little and have room to do what they are meant to and cause a lil chaos.

Ill have to look up those cards. I can def see it being extremely strong on the right card.

Silence is awesome in Hearthstone, especially for people with no access to the insane cards.

Hexproof is awesome, love my Geist of Saint traft but invisible stalker is complete bullshit, bullshit I tell ya.

Technically, getting banned on a technicality is also "quitting Magic".

Ban was lifted a while ago, I'm just saying take his opinion with that in mind

Haines

Banned
Ok, i would assume invisible stalker was bs bc people just buff the shit out of it or something? The other card looks broken as shit too, lol

Angry Grimace

0-2, 0-2 drop

Hmmm, Hornet Queen is a shitty card in every format, who would have known?

And what the shit the prize support fucking sucks complete ass now what in the actual fuck

Ok, i would assume invisible stalker was bs bc people just buff the shit out of it or something? The other card looks broken as shit too, lol

Dunno if it was actual BS but it was legal in the same standard rotation as this

Image.ashx

Which is a great card by itself already

but a friend of mine plays it in his unblockable pump deck where it's bs unless I start sideboarding my kitchentable decks. Geist is worse to be fair.

Angry Grimace

Dunno if it was actual BS when tt was printed in the same standard block as this

Image.ashx

Which is a great card by itself already

but a friend of mine plays it in his unblockable pump deck where it's bs unless I start sideboarding my kitchentable decks

There was a Naya Hexproof deck in RTR/Theros, I don't know about INN/RTR. It wasn't great though.

Hero

Bant Auras did win a standard gp in 1st and 2nd somewhere sometime, iirc

Yeah it was up in the north east, either NJ or NY. Rancor pushed the deck over the edge. A buddy and mine made a list fairly close to the one that won before the GP. Our local game store didn't know what to do against it and just chalked it up to a rogue deck that was dumb and then when it was a hexproof mirror they ate crow about it. Really regret having not gone to that event because I had other obligations. Nobody was prepared for it.

pigeon

Banned
Do any tribals have defining mechanics past having lords?

I mean, definitely. Goblins and Elves are deck types defined by perennial tribal mechanics that are pretty consistent from block to block. In general most "racial" creature types in Magic have some light mechanical theme, although usually it's, like, Dragon, or Demon, and thus pretty easy to spot.

Alos Merfolk do have light can't be blocked as well as tap/untap and bounce mechanics. In Lorwyn they also had mill (that's how my merfolk deck started)

Well, that stuff's just blue. Merfolk are blue creatures and so they often end up with the blue creature mechanics. I don't think the association is strong enough (like, you can tell Dragons have a flight theme because red is actually terrible at flight but they always get it on Dragons).

I liked Lorwyn Merfolk, though, and I thought they did pretty well mechanically. But WotC apparently hates Lorwyn so much they literally destroyed the entire card type they created for the block, so that's too bad.

MrDoctor

Bit the bullet and dumped over $100 into my first go at a commander deck. Went with River Guide Sygg as I like the shutdown playstyle.

When I was a new player I found shroud much more interesting than hexproof, because of the double-edged aspect. Are the "new players" WOTC studying incredibly bland or something?

Angry Grimace

When I was a new player I found shroud much more interesting than hexproof, because of the double-edged aspect. Are the "new players" WOTC studying incredibly bland or something?

Yes, actually.

I mean, definitely. Goblins and Elves are deck types defined by perennial tribal mechanics that are pretty consistent from block to block. In general most "racial" creature types in Magic have some light mechanical theme, although usually it's, like, Dragon, or Demon, and thus pretty easy to spot.

Well, that stuff's just blue. Merfolk are blue creatures and so they often end up with the blue creature mechanics. I don't think the association is strong enough (like, you can tell Dragons have a flight theme because red is actually terrible at flight but they always get it on Dragons).

I liked Lorwyn Merfolk, though, and I thought they did pretty well mechanically. But WotC apparently hates Lorwyn so much they literally destroyed the entire card type they created for the block, so that's too bad.

Considering we recently got a 2nd Lord of Atlantis (literally) and just got Harbinger of the Tides I feel like Wizards has really been pushing the tribal. It's too late to try push it anywhere else but cheap lords, Harbinger of the Tides is awesome because it isn't a lord yet fits in perfectly. Shadowmoore destroyed all the good WoTC did with Lorwyn merfolk though, they were just horrible.

Looking at goblins and elves I don't particularly see anything they have that isn't just inherent to their colour either but it's become hard to differentiate that by now. There's just many more of either than Merfolk still, double to be precise.

Yeah it was up in the north east, either NJ or NY. Rancor pushed the deck over the edge. A buddy and mine made a list fairly close to the one that won before the GP. Our local game store didn't know what to do against it and just chalked it up to a rogue deck that was dumb and then when it was a hexproof mirror they ate crow about it. Really regret having not gone to that event because I had other obligations. Nobody was prepared for it.

I love Bogles.

I won't pretend it didn't bit me in the ass every now and then, and still does in my Leonin equipment deck. Having just one creature and Lightning greaves can make things difficult.

Angry Grimace

Hey I won a match

against a guy who unwisely chose to draft every counterspell in the cube + Top.

He ran out of time

I'm sure you're shocked.

Angry Grimace

Well I lost the next round because I drew 7 straight lands

Angry Grimace

I'm a lot better at Holiday Cube for whatever reason. They're barely even different though. Maybe I just get a lot more Moxen there, idk

Angry Grimace

Elves make mana
Goblins make more goblins
Merfolk have Islandwalk (snicker)

Rebels and Mercenaries have search mechanics.

Mercs are my fave, just wish they were a bit better or that new sets would print some- on Commander or whatevs.

So does every tribal since lorwyn and there's a rebel searching elves. Didn't even know mercs were a thing.

Kor have pay 0 to redirect damage though as a unique trait, since they share equipment synergies with cats.

Angry Grimace

Yet another loss to counterspell guy in the cube

Either the players are better or my luck sucks

Not gonna waste any more tix on it this go round, I'm just losing constantly so fuck that

Angry Grimace

Finishing up the last round, hey at least I went 2-1! I guess I *can* afford another round.

I actually managed to pick up Craterhoof and Natural Order, so obviously it went better.

So does every tribal since lorwyn and there's a rebel searching elves. Didn't even know mercs were a thing.

Kor have pay 0 to redirect damage though as a unique trait, since they share equipment synergies with cats.

I more meant that their search mechanics are specifically designed - Rebels search higher CMC rebels, Mercenaries search lower CMC mercs. But you're right, searching as a thing for tribal isn't unique.

Love mercs :)

EDIT: So I did make a superbly shitty casual deck on MTGO. Many of the cards I wanted were 0.01 and I had a few from other idiotic deck ideas (Diabolic Edict etc.) that I thought might add value. Here it is, lol

f2Rymzr.jpg

I've played a few games online against similarly bad decks and I've won... The Call to Mind + Gouger combo is real (haha). It needs a few islands replaced with some cheap duals (Dismal Backy or whatevs) because it hurts for Black. I wanna add White for Undead Slayer which has a tap ability that destroys a creature based on it's type... Shit like that. Anyway, was funny and I kinda like where it's going. Will likely fill it out in paper for some goofy games once I get a better list down.

Matriox

Bit the bullet and dumped over $100 into my first go at a commander deck. Went with River Guide Sygg as I like the shutdown playstyle.

Any particular reason not to pick Grand Arbiter Augistin IV? Otherwise he's particularly good at shutting people down, unless you wanted the merfolk archtype (or aren't trying to be a dick, but I like my edh competitive lol).

Socat

4x Tarmogoyf
4x Knight of the Reliquary
4x Noble Heirarch
1x Birds of Paradise
2x Voice of Resurgence
2x Qasali Pridemage
1x Scavenging Ooze
4x Wild Nacatl

4x Path to Exile
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Collected Company
2x Retreat to Coralhelm

4x Wooded Foothills
4x Arid Mesa
4x Windswept Heath
4x Stomping Grounds
3x Sacred Foundry
1x Temple Garden
1x Kessig Wolf Run
2x Forest
2x Plains

SB
2x Magus of the Moon
2x Kataki, War's Wage
2x Stony Silence
2x Grim Lavamancer
2x Roast
2x Grafdigger's Cage
3x Anger of the Gods

Anyone have any changes that they think I should make?

Matriox

Anyone have any changes that they think I should make?

I don't know modern super well, but something I always saw with Knight of the Reliquary back in his hayday was Sejiri Steppe as a 1 or 2 of for protection, not sure if that still applies, otherwise looks sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom