• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I wonder if this lends any credit to Heliod having been a Planeswalker before he became a god. I mean, there's probably several who were great legends in Theros who ascended upon some condition(Iroas, Mogis, Phenax) but Heliod's the only one we know more about (IIRC he was originally a god of love before he became captain Jackass) and there's the whole "Order of Heliud" running around Somewhere in the Multiverse.
wat

If they can come up with a half-assed reason how Heliod can be a planeswalker but can't for Niv-Mizzet, I'm going to personally go to Seattle and talk some sense into them.

I detect no lies here. I get why we need the Mono coloured Walkers(Easier for deck building) but the best Walkers characterize tend to be multicoloured (Kiora, Sorin, etc)
But Sorin is black.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
wat

If they can come up with a half-assed reason how Heliod can be a planeswalker but can't for Niv-Mizzet, I'm going to personally go to Seattle and talk some sense into them.

But Sorin is black.

Planewalkers can be on a card in any of the colors that are in their color identity, I believe. I have a tough time ever seeing a mono-white Sorin though. Despite the fact that basically everything he's done recently is more white than black.

kirblar

Twitter suggestion for RPTQs that should be implemented ASAP-
Why dont RPTQs cut to T8, then play 3 rounds and have 2+ wins Q? One single elim round after swiss has seemed so bad. Especially limited.

You can still play it out with draft-style seeding so that 3-0 wins the whole shebang.

OnPoint

I wonder if this lends any credit to Heliod having been a Planeswalker before he became a god. I mean, there's probably several who were great legends in Theros who ascended upon some condition(Iroas, Mogis, Phenax) but Heliod's the only one we know more about (IIRC he was originally a god of love before he became captain Jackass) and there's the whole "Order of Heliud" running around Somewhere in the Multiverse.

Well, the Kruphix story on Uncharted Realms might lend some credence to this.

http://archive.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ur/303

If we're operating under the theory that the Gods had a mortal beginning before ascending to Godhood, Kruphix's dialogue has some definite implications as to what might be the reality of the situation. I wonder if being a God eventually erases your previous memories and identity? Which means maybe even Heliod doesn't even remember who he is. Just a thought.

wat

Niv will eventually be a 'walker. I have no doubt.

wat

But Sorin is black.

It's a fan theory that's been floating around various communities due to the description of Regetha IIRC.

And Sorin is WB. Maybe less W then Black, but a lot of the stuff he's done in the past bit have been leaning White.

Well, the Kruphix story on Uncharted Realms might lend some credence to this.

http://archive.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ur/303

If we're operating under the theory that the Gods had a mortal beginning before ascending to Godhood, Kruphix's dialogue has some definite implications as to what might be the reality of the situation. I wonder if being a God eventually erases your previous memories and identity? Which means maybe even Heliod doesn't even remember who he is. Just a thought.

Niv will eventually be a 'walker. I have no doubt.

I think they aren't erased immediately but that they fade over time a lot faster. I think it's been stated that Memory/Legend works entirely differently on Theros then anywhere else, so Heliod could have ascended and after a span of time forgotten he was a Planeswalker. Xenagos didn't forget, did he?

As for Niv, I need that in my life. Niv Mizzet as a walker would be glorious

OnPoint

I think they aren't erased immediately but that they fade over time a lot faster. I think it's been stated that Memory/Legend works entirely differently on Theros then anywhere else, so Heliod could have ascended and after a span of time forgotten he was a Planeswalker. Xenagos didn't forget, did he?

As for Niv, I need that in my life. Niv Mizzet as a walker would be glorious

I think you and I agree. Heliod forgot who he was over time. Xenagos didn't have time to forget. Perhaps becoming a God and infusing yourself with the essence of the plane (nyx) means your very being starts to shape to what the world believes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They said their policy was that you aren't a Planeswalker if you have a creature card (that doesn't turn into one), so I assume ascending to Godhood means Xenagos lost his spark as a result. Its not surprising, we've already seen that things can suppress your spark, such as:

* Phyrexian Corruption
* Zendikar stole it lol
* Being turned into a Angel in bondage gear (lol)

To clarify, we also know for sure that on Theros, gods can be made just from belief, as shown by the story where Ashiok uses nightmares to get people to create a god of the city, which is immediately destroyed by Ephara (god of the polis).

They said their policy was that you aren't a Planeswalker if you have a creature card (that doesn't turn into one), so I assume ascending to Godhood means Xenagos lost his spark as a result. Its not surprising, we've already seen that things can suppress your spark, such as:

* Phyrexian Corruption
* Zendikar stole it lol

No, it's been confirmed that Xenagos still had his spark, but he had no idea what would happen to his godhood if he left Theros, so he chose to stay.

Source
Q:So, Xenagos, is he still a planeswalker? If he leaves Theros, is he still a god?
22bebo

Through furious revelry and powerful magic, Xenagos has done the unthinkable — he has ascended to become a god of Theros, and his card in Born of the Gods reflects this new status. Storywise, though, Xenagos is still a planeswalker. He has not yet left the plane, so at this point it’s unclear what might become of his godly status if he planeswalked.

Angry Grimace

We don't need Niv-Mizzet guys we already got Ral Zarek!!! =V

Kiora once again proving that she's the best Planeswalker.

Theros once again proving that it's one of Magic's most interesting settings.
Both these points are correct.

Kiora and Sorin are the best planeswalkers.

Theros deserves a goddamned hardbound artbook for how fantastic the art design was for that set.
If I'm being honest, I think Dwarves have a lot of room to grow and flourish as a race. I think dwarves would be red/white and have an emphasis on equipment, specifically, the making of or tutoring for. I think they'd be stout, so smallish creatures with higher toughness than power, and maybe somehow represent the bonds of their society through strength through numbers.
Dwarves are R/W, no ifs ands or buts about it. They're organized and care for the community like white, but they live in mountains and are obsessed with artifice.

I'd definitely like to see them in a future set.
A Homarid revival is the real dream. Lobsterfolk are vastly underrepresented in the genre - honestly, they should be a staple fantasy race.
Homarids are behind vedalken and cephalids in terms of lame blue primary tribes. That says a lot.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Did anyone else not get the Thalia cards for the MTGO community cup rewards? I have the lands but can't find her

Can we have a black or red cannibal planeswalker who ate his parents? Also make him the staple walker of his colour.

Did anyone else not get the Thalia cards for the MTGO community cup rewards? I have the lands but can't find her

Just checked and got mine also a Mizzium Meddler with alternate art I didn't know was included.

pigeon

Banned
I wouldn't mind a revamp of cephalids. Turn them into oceanic mind flayers and I am in.

They'd have to be blue-black then.

This is an ongoing problem with blue tribal -- merfolk are just humans with fins (no mechanical identity), and everything else tends to end up being too evil or too good to be pure blue.

They'd have to be blue-black then.

This is an ongoing problem with blue tribal -- merfolk are just humans with fins (no mechanical identity), and everything else tends to end up being too evil or too good to be pure blue.

Do any tribals have defining mechanics past having lords? Alos Merfolk do have light can't be blocked as well as tap/untap and bounce mechanics. In Lorwyn they also had mill (that's how my merfolk deck started)

Angry Grimace

Forcing Tooth and Nail again!

...maybe I should have picked up Tooth and Nail before I started doing that

Firemind

Problem with a Niv Mizzet walker is that he couldn't stand on the same level as Ugin and Bolas.

I'd love nothing more though for my Izzet deck.
He also wouldn't cost 8 mana. Think Teferi but better. I don't know why they didn't slap Time Walk(s) onto Teferi. He's a freaking time lord! Meanwhile, Ral Zarek has the ability to manipulate time...

We don't need Niv-Mizzet guys we already got Ral Zarek!!! =V
Don't get me started on this shit. The writers have made Ral hide his spark from Niv-Mizzet because of reasons. A rivalry or some shit. What is this shit? Back to the Future? Niv-Mizzet is secretly faux Biff Tannen.

Angry Grimace

If you lose 0-2 in a tournament on MTGO it is a 100% GUARANTEE there will be a match that goes to the very last second of time. Every time.

It's 35:00 in and everyone is finished. Except 2 dumbasses still on Game 1.

fucking hell

can't drag cards during fact or fiction so i just let my opponent draw five cards lmao

You can't drag. You have to click to move a card from one pile to another. Yes, it's stupid as all hell.

If you lose 0-2 in a tournament on MTGO it is a 100% GUARANTEE there will be a match that goes to the very last second of time. Every time.

It's 35:00 in and everyone is finished. Except 2 dumbasses still on Game 1.

This is a very real problem online. It's annoying enough in paper, but at least you have actual people to hang out with. The busier my life gets, the less I draft online for this very reason. If I'm going to spend time playing a game, I want to spend all of that time playing the game.

Theoretically Leagues are meant to solve this problem, but the current implementation is half-assed and stupidly is constructed-only.

Bandini

MTGO is the absolute fucking worst, UGH. Just timed out right before swinging with 20 exarchs cause that shit takes FOREVER to make enough. Was about to win the match, opponent only had like 1 minute left on timer too. Stupid legacy cube

Toxi

Banned

Wait, when did this happen?

Bandini

I think maybe the worst thing about MTGO is you can't just double click your lands to untap them. You have to hit ctrl + z. Just shows how utterly bad the design is.

Sealed leagues are on the way I believe. I don't know how you'd do draft, I guess it would just kick you into a larger pool with people who have drafted the same format? That doesn't seem optimal but I could live with it.

Angry Grimace

I think maybe the worst thing about MTGO is you can't just double click your lands to untap them. You have to hit ctrl + z. Just shows how utterly bad the design is.

What? I just right click and hit "undo"

MTGO just forced to play an 80 card deck. I didn't notice game one, I just thought I was flooding. Then I realized this fucken client

Angry Grimace

haha are you mooshimanx? cause the same thing just happened to my r2 opponent

That sure was me. I think its a submission error - I clicked the submit button, but if the server just never receives it the game decides you want to play everything plus the automatic allotment of lands.

Bandini

After conceding turn 3 in game 1 with 1 land out, my round 3 opponent conceded game 2 on his turn 3 main phase with 2 lands out. Kind of a disappointment, my hand was pretty sweet.. happy with my deck even if I was pretty bad and slow when it comes to actually playing it http://i.imgur.com/ApcQ9cB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom