• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hort

Neo Member
Opened my box. Got 5 mythics and an expedition (quarantine field, kiora, undergrowth champion, dragonmaster outcast, greenwarden of murasa, and expedition canopy vista)

Og3yrtG.jpg

The story as told in the Fat Pack book:

Gideon successfully retakes Sea Gate with the help of his Allies.

Ob Nixilis loses a fight with Nissa at Khalni Heart (she gets her powers back); Ob was trying to use it to reignite his spark.

Jace heads for the Eye of Ugin and when he gets there, Ugin is already there trying to fix it - they have smart alecky conversation.

Gideon figures out he can trap Ulamog with an Aligned Hedron Network. He traps Ulamog in it, but then Ob Nixilis flies out and directs the hedron power to himself to reignite his spark.

Oh noes, Ulamog is free!

I feel like some of these events should have gotten story cards over ones that did.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nice pulls, but whoever in their marketing department got the idea to call these full art needs a kick in the dick.

OnPoint

The story sounds... weird.

So after all that,
Ulamog doesn't get defeated
? I guess you gotta
save something for the next set

We should have gotten a card like this instead of Nissa bringing about allergy season:

Demon's Reawakening - 4B
Sorcery
As an additional cost, sacrifice a colorless nonland permanent.
Choose one--
* Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Put two additional +1/+1 counters on it.
* Return target planeswalker card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Put two additional loyalty counters on it.
"Noooooooooooooo!" - Gideon Jura, in slow motion

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lmao dualamog

Got Gideon in my fatpack. Also got Bring to Light and Omnath.
So, not too bad

this is my first time with mythics. I did get a deathrite shaman with foil in the same pack before.

Best double mythic ive seen was one not matching. My brother got confidant and foil karn in the same MM2015 pack

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I only got a double mythic once, a Sigarda Host of Herons and a Bruna, Light of Alabaster. That was the only Avacyn Restored pack I ever opened. I only opened one pack of Innistrad in paper either, that was a Snapcaster Mage.

JulianImp

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180551376]been there done that :p

1528505_10152196689555es59.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Damn, and the only dual rare+foil I ever got was Reaper King... in a booster pack with the Reaper King art on its cover. I only wish it was some more desirable card like yours...

My pet peeve when opening packs for prereleases and drafts has always been getting multiple copies of the overcosted blue enchantment of the set. A happier reocurring theme is that I got two black foil cards in high demand (LOR Thoughtseize and LotV) in single random packs I was given out. The foil Lili was the best thing ever since it was in a booster I got by sheer luck in a FNM, and a kid said "wouldn't it be cool if you opened a foil Liliana?" right before the fact.

Other than that, my pulls tend to be bad to average, with just a couple highlights here and there. Then there's a guy who tends to end up with crazy value in his prerelease pools without fail, only to get really salty and (jokingly?) threaten to quit the game due to getting mana screwed/flooded.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I had a ugin, foil ugin in a pack. I also pulled an alt art ugin during prelease. Call me Mr. Ugin.

In this prerelease I pulled 3 of the mythic extra turns. It was really sad.

I only opened one pack of Innistrad in paper either, that was a Snapcaster Mage.

Same here, the only pack of Innistrad I ever got came out of one of those wal-mart triple packs my friends and I got for a chaos draft, and I opened Snapcaster. Didn't play enough constructed at the time to understand the long-term significance, though. I only recently completed the set.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180553056]Same here, the only pack of Innistrad I ever got came out of one of those wal-mart triple packs my friends and I got for a chaos draft, and I opened Snapcaster. Didn't play enough constructed at the time to understand the long-term significance, though. I only recently completed the set.[/QUOTE]

I take it back, there was a second pack that had a Hinterland Harbor.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
this is my first time with mythics. I did get a deathrite shaman with foil in the same pack before.

Best double mythic ive seen was one not matching. My brother got confidant and foil karn in the same MM2015 pack

Its not an actual double mythic pull but my favorite pull story might still be the time I bought the Simic intro pack from Gatecrash because I wanted the promo and in the two bonus packs I got an Aurelia and an Obzedat

That or how like the one Chinese pack of New Phyrexia I bought had a Karn in it

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just waiting for people to start posting pics of their Alpha duals or whatever now.

Let's see those Moxes.

Angry Grimace

Decided to go out and see if I could find a Fat Pack somewhere in town. Two Super Targets, two Super Walmarts, Hastings, and a TRU later I come home empty handed. Looks like one dude went around town and bought everything out. Hooray. This will be the first set since coming back that I don't end up with at least one fat pack of.
I have an extra if you don't find one. I don't really know how much it would be to ship though.

Haly

MaRo is just going to spin it all positively and pat himself on the back for what a great set Battle for Zendikar was.

MaRo is just going to spin it all positively and pat himself on the back for what a great set Battle for Zendikar was.

All evidence points to Wizards taking these surveys quite seriously. If you're referring to Avacyn Restored, they have repeatedly acknowledged that Limited was bad, but there are also other aspects of the set that was popular with players.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

With a bit of distance, MaRo generally seems to be pretty honest with most of the sets. He's in PR mode right now, and I'm sure in a couple of years we'll get a podcast from him explaining how much the block structure switch compromised BFZ.

kirblar

Battle for Zendikar survey

Time to express how you don't like things!
Holy shit the art is bad.

Like, holy shit. Now I get what HeebyGeeby was saying.
All evidence points to Wizards taking these surveys quite seriously. If you're referring to Avacyn Restored, they have repeatedly acknowledged that Limited was bad, but there are also other aspects of the set that was popular with players.
At the top end (Mythic rare) the set knocked it out of the park.
With a bit of distance, MaRo generally seems to be pretty honest with most of the sets. He's in PR mode right now, and I'm sure in a couple of years we'll get a podcast from him explaining how much the block structure switch compromised BFZ.
That's still damage control putting the blame off of himself for botching the Eldrazi design.

Haly

I decided to take the survey just to see what kind of questions they were asking and I got:

Thank you for your time. We're looking for people who fit a different profile for this survey.
I was rejected by an internet survey feels bad man.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I decided to take the survey just to see what kind of questions they were asking and I got:

I'm amazed that my demographic info as "24 year old who's been playing for 10 years" doesn't get rejected for being like....the second most common player type second to "24 year old who's been playing for four years"

Socat

Welcome to being part of the target demographic and not being quick enough lol

Well, if you took previous surveys, it's pretty much the same stuff.

New questions were:
* A question about your favorite card and why, which presented a drop-down list of every single card in the set, which was a bit awkward. I chose Nettle Drone, because I actually do think that card is very interesting in terms of gameplay.
* Questions about the changes to the prerelease. No question about the mulligan change.
* Story questions that I would have gotten wrong if that Fat Pack summary wasn't posted earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom