• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I only answered one question! I said I played less than a month in the last 6 months for the first question.

I guess they do take it seriously if they only want a specific subset of "players" to answer.

I only answered one question! I said I played less than a month in the last 6 months for the first question.

I guess they do take it seriously if they only want a specific subset of "players" to answer.

For these surveys, they want a similar number of participants from each demographic. It's not that they don't want the opinion of people who don't play often, but rather that they already got enough people who are like that.

kirblar

For these surveys, they want a similar number of participants from each demographic. It's not that they don't want the opinion of people who don't play often, but rather that they already got enough people who are like that.
They don't want that demo at all.

Firemind

What does that even mean? What's the criteria? Maybe I only play once a month. Does that mean I play the full six months? Or only six days? What does it mean?

With a bit of distance, MaRo generally seems to be pretty honest with most of the sets. He's in PR mode right now, and I'm sure in a couple of years we'll get a podcast from him explaining how much the block structure switch compromised BFZ.

He's already admitted they botched Ally distinction. I expect a very interesting Drive To Work when he gets to this set.

I said my favorite card was Breaker of Armies for being a good embodiment of a big Eldrazi. Fav card mechanically was Zada, and fav character was Kiora. Didn't give me an option to complain about Jace or Nissa, which is too bad.

EDIT: I was happy to shit on Hedron Archive's super snarky Jace flavor text.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I said my favorite card was Breaker of Armies for being a good embodiment of a big Eldrazi. Fav card mechanically was Zada, and fav character was Kiora. Didn't give me an option to complain about Jace or Nissa, which is too bad.

EDIT: I was happy to shit on Hedron Archive's super snarky Jace flavor text.

Commenting on why Kiora was my favorite character was my chance to comment on how dull Jace and Nissa are

Also I gave that same flavor text a poor rating too haha

jph139

I said Skyrider Elf was my favorite, which says a lot about my lack of enthusiasm. After two prereleases I pretty much have my fill... it's gonna be a LONG draft season.

The Technomancer

I said Skyrider Elf was my favorite, which says a lot about my lack of enthusiasm. After two prereleases I pretty much have my fill... it's gonna be a LONG draft season.

Oh I was very clear about my meh feelings about the set. The most detailed responses I've ever given. I compared my prerelease experience to playing something like Tenth Edition, which wasn't far off. Like the only theme that seemed to matter was Allies, and only in a "play lots of Allies" way

ultron87

My highest feedback was on the new Prerelease Box. That thing was great. It fit a sleeved sealed deck and the sideboard perfectly.

Yeef

My highest feedback was on the new Prerelease Box. That thing was great. It fit a sleeved sealed deck and the sideboard perfectly.
Yeah. The only problem with it was no label or space to write your name. With ever box looking the same it's easy to get yours mixed up with someone else's.

The Technomancer

Yup, I gave that one all As.

I had to downgrade it on the quality because when I was opening mine one of the flaps ripped free and had to be re-glued. Other than that they were great

Man, remember the old days when a pre-release box might be this thing?
s-l1000.jpg

Thats from Worldwake, I still have mine

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man your boxes were way saucier than mine.

Ulamog, Kiora, Greenwarden, 2 duals, foil Woodland Wanderer.

Pretty much it.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
When did they start doing those flimsy boxes that were for the last few blocks? I remember getting a really sturdy box at the Mirrodin Besieged prerelease that I still carry my EDH decks in. Was it Innistrad?

They started with Theros. Dragon's Maze came in a plastic box with a rounded top.

JulianImp

I still have the fat pack box of Guildpact.

fatpack.jpg

I have no idea how the anatomy of Niv-Mizzet works tho.

Man, that's one ugly depiction of good ol' Niv!

The only fat pack I ever got was a RAV one. The art wasn't all that cool, but it was definitely better than what they used for Guildpact's.

Takuhi

Well, if you took previous surveys, it's pretty much the same stuff.

New questions were:
* A question about your favorite card and why, which presented a drop-down list of every single card in the set, which was a bit awkward. I chose Nettle Drone, because I actually do think that card is very interesting in terms of gameplay.
* Questions about the changes to the prerelease. No question about the mulligan change.
* Story questions that I would have gotten wrong if that Fat Pack summary wasn't posted earlier.

If you say that you play Hearthstone it opens up questions about what things you prefer in Hearthstone to Magic and vice versa. They've never asked that before... Hearthstone must really be getting them worried.

Firemind

looooooooooool

i lost count how many times i lost to craterhoof while holding up negates and control magics. the ultimate fuckyou card.

Jhriad

I have an extra if you don't find one. I don't really know how much it would be to ship though.

I'm good. Went through a bunch of stores this afternoon and finally found a Walmart that had 4 in stock. Grabbed two even though I only really wanted one. I have no idea why other than after all that work I wanted a bigger payoff.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
looooooooooool

i lost count how many times i lost to craterhoof while holding up negates and control magics. the ultimate fuckyou card.

Natural Order into Craterhoof feels good.

Freyalise +2 until you get enough mana to hardcast Craterhoof feels extra good.

Finished the draft 2-1.

Drafted aggresive UR with lots of low cmc red cards and a touch of blue control and fliers.

BW drain life is insane, I had no chance in the finals. The one time I got out my Dragonmaster outcast and 2 dragons he played planar outburst and I completely ran out of gas.

The elemental generator is so good and Zada is incredible. I only had 2 combat tricks but that was enough. Never had such an easy time choosing a colour open Dragonmaster pack 1, get passed Zada immediately. Probably should have moved into green instead of blue but I just love awaken.

Next to no one played big Eldrazi, but pretty aggressive. My endgame was the red 3 drop that bolts for 8.

No expeditions :(

Jhriad

I dunno, let's see the other packs first.

Bring to Light, Bring to Light, Canopy Vista, Lumbering Falls, Painful Truths, Dust Stalker, Prism Array, Brood Butcher, Brood Butcher.

Other Fat Pack had Gideon, foil Prairie Stream, Fathom Feeder, Part the Waterveil, Conduit of Ruin, Munda, Angelic Captain, Wasteland Strangler, and Prism Array. Not too bad all said and done. :)

The right side of the Expedition is definitely a little rough though. Already contacted Wizards about a replacement.

traveler

Not Wario
To go to release or stay at home and find a raid group in Destiny....

I did enjoy prerelease. Hate the set for constructed, but limited doesn't seem bad.

Someone convince me that Exquisite Firecraft is better than Arc Lightning. I'm debating. Single red + kills two creatures/tokens sometimes vs the ability to kill thunderbreak regent.

kirblar

You can get wizards to replace a card you got ina pack if its not mint? How do you prove that it wasnt your error?
Receipts. People aren't going to take the time out to bother scamming- it's so time inefficient. Damaged product is a thing their CS team is really good at fixing.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180580512]Someone convince me that Exquisite Firecraft is better than Arc Lightning. I'm debating. Single red + kills two creatures/tokens sometimes vs the ability to kill thunderbreak regent.[/QUOTE]
also kills anafenza, ojutai, gideon after making a token, flipped nissa, knuckleblade.

hort

Neo Member
I preordered two fat packs a month and a half ago when I found a deal of $30 each.

Patiently waiting for a shipping notice.....

also kills anafenza, ojutai, gideon after making a token, flipped nissa, knuckleblade.

Hmm... I guess I'll keep them main then for now. Gradually tweaking the deck since it's been performing well enough. Low enough to the ground to compete with the aggro decks, and enough raw card advantage to grind through planeswalkers. Getting under Abzan Charm is a huge deal, and the primary burn plan is great because there isn't a ton of lifegain in the format. It's not like we're worrying about Blood Barons or anything. Again, Crackling Doom just fills so many holes the Jeskai decks had before.

Slow Burn Jeskai

draft2njp76.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom