• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battle for Zendikar survey

Time to express how you don't like things!

I said pretty mean things about both the set and Magic Online (their own fault, they asked me about Hearthstone.) I think I was even harsher than the time I laid into them over the M14 slivers. On BFZ I said the lands and Awaken were pretty good but that they completely botched the eldrazi because no one on the design team understood what they were trying to accomplish; on Hearthstone I said the best part of HS was that it actually worked and that the worst part was that it's a much worse game than Magic but everyone would still rather play it because its digital client isn't dogshit.

He's already admitted they botched Ally distinction.

Easier to admit that one because it's not design's fuckup.

Jhriad

I said pretty mean things about both the set and Magic Online (their own fault, they asked me about Hearthstone.) I think I was even harsher than the time I laid into them over the M14 slivers. On BFZ I said the lands and Awaken were pretty good but that they completely botched the eldrazi because no one on the design team understood what they were trying to accomplish; on Hearthstone I said the best part of HS was that it actually worked and that the worst part was that it's a much worse game than Magic but everyone would still rather play it because its digital client isn't dogshit.

Easier to admit that one because it's not design's fuckup.

Despite only logging into Hearthstone once in a blue moon I regret saying I don't okay Hearthstone now so that I could have commented on the differences.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
At least I got to call most of the art in this set crap. I thought Khans was a sign art was getting better after RTR and Theros, but nah.

traveler

Not Wario
Well despite my strong negative feelings about the set's constructed potential, I gave in to the hype and bought at box at my LGS. Pulls... weren't bad at all, all things considered.

1 Gideon
2 Sunken Hollow (1 expedition and 1 reg)
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Canopy Vista
1 Cinder Glade
1 Shambling Vent
1 Lumbering Falls
1 Ruinous Path
1 Lantern Scout
1 Woodland Wanderer
1 Planar Outburst
1 Painful Truths
2 Brutal Expulsions (1 foil)
1 Blight Herder
1 Sire of Stagnation
1 Quarantine Field
1 From Beyond
1 Omnath
1 Smothering Abom

So most fringe/possibly playable rares and mythics, plus the whole land suite including an expedition, and the best card in the set to top it all off.

One of the local stores is selling their leftover Prerelease boxes for $25. It has six packs so it's not terribly priced but does it come with anything else to make it worthwhile or should I just get the fatpack they are selling at MSRP? That's still probably a better "value".

This Fat Pack was pretty good.

IMG_20151002_175640083.jpg

So beautiful. It's the only one that I want a play set of to be honest.

Will post FNM details after I get back. Went 3-1, with my only loss being a down-to-the-wire war of attrition. Didn't draft, opted for constructed.

Ashodin

Well despite my strong negative feelings about the set's constructed potential, I gave in to the hype and bought at box at my LGS. Pulls... weren't bad at all, all things considered.

1 Gideon
2 Sunken Hollow (1 expedition and 1 reg)
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Canopy Vista
1 Cinder Glade
1 Shambling Vent
1 Lumbering Falls
1 Ruinous Path
1 Lantern Scout
1 Woodland Wanderer
1 Planar Outburst
1 Painful Truths
2 Brutal Expulsions (1 foil)
1 Blight Herder
1 Sire of Stagnation
1 Quarantine Field
1 From Beyond
1 Omnath
1 Smothering Abom

So most fringe/possibly playable rares and mythics, plus the whole land suite including an expedition, and the best card in the set to top it all off.

sheeet son

I want Gideon :(

Hackworth

Okay so I was whining about my prerelease getting canceled/rescheduled because shipping last week, but it finally took place.

I'm only mentioning it because my pack had two promo rares. Does this happen often?
Low quality photo below.

tumblr_nvmn5bYoe11rskwqno1_1280.jpg

Jhriad

Okay so I was whining about my prerelease getting canceled/rescheduled because shipping last week, but it finally took place.

I'm only mentioning it because my pack had two promo rares. Does this happen often?

Not often, no. Of the six prereleases that I did one of my packs had two promos in it. Out of the eighteen prerelease packs I saw opened it was the only one with more than one promo. I did also see another box with seven packs instead of the normal six. Always nice to get a little extra. :)

Went to FNM with my mostly rotation safe monowhite deck, went 2-2. Considering this was the first real time with it, I'm actually rather happy.

Round 1 I went against Jeskai.. Something. Won Game 1, game 2 is in the middle and he Casts Banishing Light. He loses due to that, but The games were neck and neck prior. 1-0

Round 2: I play Jeskai Dragons, he blows me out quickly due to Soulfire and Draconic Roar. I sideboard in my burn hate and lose due to superior Air control. 1-1

Round 3- Abzan Aggro. Game 1 I get blown out due to Rhino and Anafenza 1.0 swinging for 10 in one turn and my removal suite not coming up in time. Game 2 he drops 2 Hangarbacks and They burst, followed by a Sorin +1. 1-2

Round 4: Mardu Warriors. Guy gets screwed manawise and I sweep despite 2 crackling Dooms. 2-2

All in all, not bad for testing. My biggest issue came in the form of Fliers/Thopters, so my board's going to need to change to reflect that. I really miss Elspeth, I got blown out by Fatties in the games I lost. Not bad, but I need counter measures/protection.Luckily, I think I have some now in the form of Lantern Scout, which should extend the game long enough to win.

Ashodin

Absolutely destroyed Eldrazi commander deck at FNM. Played Blue "I am Jace" and stole everything he had. Then I copied his Desolation Twin 10/10 five times. He scooped.

Arthos

Managed to pull a foil Verdant Catacombs. I actually saw it and thought, "Man, I would never use it."

Then my friend told me to look how much they're going for online. Damn.

Overall, I'm fine with the cards I pulled. Got the Planeswalker I wanted (Ob Nixilis).

Matriox

okay i tried to hold back all these months but it's making me crazy

why is your avatar a gold frame with hybrid mana :(
Literally because the app gave it to me lol. I only shopped the name so it was larger to read, Shrugs. I'm due for a new avatar anyways, I don't play ffxiv anymore.

First time in a long time we haven't had a crab in standard :(

Yeef

Fliers seem more important in this set then normal; it's pretty common for the ground to get clogged up with big creatures and scions. If you don't have a lot of fliers, make sure you have a lot of ways to answer fliers. Also, don't be afraid to pick Plummet higher than in most formats.

My deck tonight was solid, but every single game I lost, I lost in the air. Especially painful was the Eldrazi Devastator with an Angelic Gift.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They have a weird coating so its really obvious when you get one once you open a pack.

I justified the second box through reasons that only make sense if you're an idiot, but at least I got it back...or I would if I was gonna sell it. I'm probably just going to sit on it until it goes back up to $300 or something dumb. The other 2/3 of the box was garbage, but I saved 12 packs to teach my buddy sealed tomorrow. Otherwise, a fourth fucking Ulamog, a Quarantine Field and a Void Winnower (lol).

Hackworth

Blightherder was the FNM promo but with a different art and date, weird.
I drafted before going to the canceled prerelease, got an FNM Herder too.

Also I can say that fliers were really important to my draft deck, but my prerelease had so few fliers in the pool that I'm blaming that for why I lost so hard.
That and being pulled very slightly into every colour but not well or reliably.

I might just stop going to prereleases and draft more instead.

kirblar

They have a weird coating so its really obvious when you get one once you open a pack.

I justified the second box through reasons that only make sense if you're an idiot, but at least I got it back...or I would if I was gonna sell it. I'm probably just going to sit on it until it goes back up to $300 or something dumb. The other 2/3 of the box was garbage, but I saved 12 packs to teach my buddy sealed tomorrow. Otherwise, a fourth fucking Ulamog, a Quarantine Field and a Void Winnower (lol).
I sold a box of a high value set once.

2 JTMS, 1 Foil JTMS, 1 Foil SFM.

At least it went to friends.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I sold a box of a high value set once.

2 JTMS, 1 Foil JTMS, 1 Foil SFM.

At least it went to friends.

I suppose I could sell it for about $210 now. I don't know, I guess I'll think about it. That's what I paid for the boxes, so I'd be getting all the cards "free."

Wichu

Dear everyone who's pulled an Expedition,

We hate you.

Sincerely,
Everyone else

Meanwhile, I'll be here with this sweet-ass foil Guardian of Tazeem I traded for after yesterday's draft:

wO6TP5l.png

Daedardus

How's the frequency of Expeditions now? Seems like they are more than one per case but maybe that's just my impression from everyone having pulled one already.

Any gaffer who opened a Scalding Tarn?

Anyone wanna trade my Drana for your Ob Nixilis? PM me.

In related news, I bought two boxes and pulled a Delta out of one of them! Also got a Kiora and a Gideon. Super happy with this.

Qasiel

Picked up an extra prerelease box yesterday and pulled a Kiora and foil Ob. Now if only I'd had that one on the day instead of the one I had..!

Making a cheeky little U/B ingest deck right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom