• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitSnicket

Neo Member
Some ebay storefronts are selling the event deck for $22. If you are in the market for hangarbacks which are going for about $13 now you also get Tasigur and a few other good cards for only $9 more. Granted the hangarback price may drop in the next few days because of this release, but if you were thinking of getting a few it's a pretty good deal.

How's the frequency of Expeditions now?

Since they seem to be about 2 per case, they're about twice as common as we were estimating in our discussions here before release. MTGGoldfish suggests that prices have dipped to match, so you're only going to have to shell out around $250 for an Expedition Scalding Tarn.

At least they did something right :p

I rated Kiora as the best of the group of character cards on both gameplay and flavor AND listed her as my favorite card.
9I1LV7e.gif

Matriox

I feel the same way haha I'm watching everyone win the lottery and I'm going to get like, 9 Void Winnowers in my packs.

Opened a case, 2 fat packs, 3 prerelease events, and 24 packs from those respective prize pools.. Got zero Void Winnower :( I actually wanted one for edh.

Daedardus

Since they seem to be about 2 per case, they're about twice as common as we were estimating in our discussions here before release. MTGGoldfish suggests that prices have dipped to match, so you're only going to have to shell out around $250 for an Expedition Scalding Tarn.

Oh, so it means that I only have 2 out of 3 chance to be disappointed in my box. $250 is still too much :(. I sadly don't have the money anymore, but I just want one for pimp reasons. Maybe they will dip a bit below $200 in the coming months?

Bought a display with 2 friends and preordered 2 fatpacks at 34€ for whenever they become available again.

In my 12 boosters I got Gideon, Quarantine Field and Undergrowth champion. So pretty happy about those. Also a Brutal Expulsion which I actually wanted to have at least a 1 of.

Fuck foil devoid cards though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I rated Kiora as the best of the group of character cards on both gameplay and flavor AND listed her as my favorite card.
9I1LV7e.gif

It's mostly anecdotal evidence though. The average dude who pulls nothing but Akoum Firebird doesn't bother to comment on what he pulled.

OnPoint

Yep. Worst Fat Pack ever. Best card was a foil, non-exp RG land, and it was the only rare land in the pack. Great, in the set with way better foil versions I finally pull a foil land. Fuck you, luck. The only mythic was a Quarantine Field. All the rares were straight trash.

Happy you all got sweet pulls, but I'm a little bitter right now.

Bandini

Yep. Worst Fat Pack ever. Best card was a foil, non-exp RG land, and it was the only rare land in the pack. Great, in the set with way better foil versions I finally pull a foil land. Fuck you, luck. The only mythic was a Quarantine Field. All the rares were straight trash.

Happy you all got sweet pulls, but I'm a little bitter right now.

Don't feel too bad, I watched my brother open 2 fat packs last night and get 2 lands, an Omnath, and not much else.

I just want to pick up some packs to draft with friends today, and my LGS is sold out of everything but intro packs...

Danielsan

Openend a boosterpack and fatpack today. I got hit with a disgusting amount of bad rares... Luckily I also got a Cinder Glade expedition, Gideon and Drana.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm just saying, this thread was full of "BFZ looks like the absolute worst" just like, 4 days ago. Awful lot of you posting your sweet pulls.

1393720577923.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The singleton Dispel in the main deck did so much work for my Jeskai Dragons deck yesterday
KuGsj.gif

Literally the first time I ever played the deck and I came in first (against a tiny field playing weird fucken Mardu Ascendancy/Abzan Ascendancy brews)

The singleton Dispel in the main deck did so much work for my Jeskai Dragons deck yesterday
KuGsj.gif

Literally the first time I ever played the deck and I came in first (against a tiny field playing weird fucken Mardu Ascendancy/Abzan Ascendancy brews)

Yeah, I've been running one in my Jeskai burn deck as well in the maindeck. Mostly for curve reasons, but it's pretty great.

Angry Grimace

Evolutionary Leap finally getting its day

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180628032]Yeah, I've been running one in my Jeskai burn deck as well in the maindeck. Mostly for curve reasons, but it's pretty great.[/QUOTE]

Me: Thunderbreak Regent and Soulfire Grand Master on board, 6 lands. Hand: Stubborn Denial.

muahahhaha

The most value I've gotten out of my 18 packs has been Two Foil Prarie Streams, though only one of them I was able to claim(2HG partner opened the other one, but I technically paid for it.

Firemind

"Full art" Delta is 'only' €200. Not sure if I should jump on it or not. I'm never going to sleeve it up so I'd just admire it in a binder. :lol

Crocodile

I'm just saying, this thread was full of "BFZ looks like the absolute worst" just like, 4 days ago. Awful lot of you posting your sweet pulls.

1393720577923.jpg

I think you'll find a strong correlation between those posting their pick ups and being happy and those who opened $100+ in values. People will never not like money :p

Or did you mean people just buying any product at all rather than buying some (but maybe less than they normally do)? Those full art lands are going to sell a lot of fatpacks. I haven't bought a fatpack in years but I will likely pick one up for this set because of the lands.

1393720577923.jpg
For what it's worth, I still think Zendikar is trash and Standard will be lame as hell once Khans-FRF rotates out.

Every card in my standard deck except new Kiora is from Khans through Origins.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180634504]more unplayable 90% tapland 4+ color decks on the SCG open lol[/QUOTE]

There are lots of RG aggro decks in the field also, let's see how that goes for you

Who takes SCG Opens seriously? :lol

There's this weird effect in Spike mentality where people give more credit to FNM 4-0 reports than SCG open games.

SCG Opens aren't Grand Prixs, but they're worth taking seriously. It's still a mid-level tournament.

There are lots of RG aggro decks in the field also, let's see how that goes for you

RG has a lot of trouble with Jeskai, even splashing dooms. We stopped testing the matchup until we get more insight for RG. There's a couple new ideas we're looking at in general, RG has been wildly inconsistent.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180636062]There's this weird effect in Spike mentality where people give more credit to FNM 4-0 reports than SCG open games.

SCG Opens aren't Grand Prixs, but they're worth taking seriously. It's still a mid-level tournament.[/QUOTE]

There's also this weird effect in Spike mentality where God's Beard selectively decides things that support what things God's Beard already likes are relevant.

He's completely right, rotation-day SCG Opens don't necessarily mean anything.

There's also this weird effect in Spike mentality where God's Beard selectively decides things that support what things God's Beard already likes are relevant.

He's completely right, rotation-day SCG Opens don't necessarily mean anything.

I'm not saying they're super important, I'm saying they're worth looking at. While also taking the opportunity to poke fun at you for calling 4+ color manabases unplayable over and over and over.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180636298]I'm not saying they're super important, I'm saying they're worth looking at. While also taking the opportunity to poke fun at you for calling 4+ color manabases unplayable.[/QUOTE]

You also believe you can just jam Crackling Doom into everything and it will all work out somehow, so I think I've got a point. I don't know if you're actually watching this, but these lands are coming into play tapped pretty much all of the time, so there's that.

Edit: I like how you added a salty edit "over and over and over" to bitch about the, what, two times I told you that playing legit 5 colors seems prone to mana screw and also possibly too slow just because you're all upset that I didn't immediately accept your reply of "but crackling doom" response as being correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom