• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupin23rd

Thanks for the answers guys!

Glad to know that a few turns later my clutch Secure the Wastes to generated a blocker (or several) for a 50/50 Hamletback Goliath, followed by a Dromoka + Sword of Body and Mind beat down (bolstered Wolf tokens all night long), was a legit victory lol

cory64

The Magic Origins toolkit contains a pack from Journey Into Nyx which rotates out in few weeks; about 30% of the rest is Khans of Tarkir or Fate Reforged which is good until April, everything else is good until next October.

You also get a classic core bulk rare for each color and a partial playset cycle of taplands (or at least I did).

Vyktal

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you never had to rebuy cards. If a card was legal in a format, such as standard, then every version of it was legal no matter when it was printed.

A lot of people go out of their way to use very old copies of cards for bragging rights in their standard decks.

Bloody hell! Wish someone told me that sooner. How will we know which cards from previous core sets will be re-used are re-used in Standard (i.e. Counterspell)? Will said card simply be featured in one of the new sets, or will it be a given that certain cards can be re-used ad infinitum?

Matriox

Bloody hell! Wish someone told me that sooner. How will we know which cards from previous core sets will be re-used are re-used in Standard (i.e. Counterspell)? Will said card simply be featured in one of the new sets, or will it be a given that certain cards can be re-used ad infinitum?

Eh kind of just knowledge. Nobody would have thought Rolling Thunder would be standard legal again, but from the spoilers we got a few weeks ago we know Rolling Thunder will be legal again come Oct 2. Outside of asking or knowing I really don't know of a site or resource to just look and see what reprints are legal.

Maledict

It will be in one of the 4 sets that comprise the current standard - if it isn't there, it's not legal.

And in the vein of more bad news, I'm afraid counterspell hasn't been legal for a *long* time - they finally relised it was way too powerful at its casting cost, and so hasn't been reprinted in core sets for several years. Blue gets counterspells at 3 mana cost now at best really.

gerg

The cards in question will be reprinted in a new set, thus keeping them Standard-legal (or making them Standard-legal again) until that set itself rotates out.

Hero

You can still draft it for one whole day online. Drafted it yesterday since I still had packs lying around and... meh. Got murdered by Pelakka Wurm and Ulamog Crusher on turn 4 or 5. Didn't see one Narcolepsy.

I did a few flashback drafts in the past and while it had some amazing cards and flavour, I realized you're always scrounging for playables and the mana bases are terrible unless you're green. I guess nostalgia kind of clouds us in a way, since I remember opening one of the legendary dragons in drafts has always been something people like to brag about. And Flametongue Kavu is sensational. Magma Burst as well.

I still regard Ravnica block as the best multicolour block of all time. Probably followed by Invasion. Ironically, Return to Ravnica is one of the worst multicolour blocks of all time.

There is definitely sole nostalgia in my statement but the set is still fun for flashback drafting and considering how old the set is I think it says a lot! Fixing definitely isn't anywhere near as good as it is today but it does exist in small doses in all colors. Reef Shaman was an all star because she can fix you on your turn or lock your opponent out of a color on their turn. Flame tongue Kavu, Probe, Recoil, Jilt, Pernicious Deed, Desolation Angel, Lightning Angel, I could go on but you get the picture.

One of my Magic regrets is that I was on hiatus for Ravinca and Time Spiral. I would've loved to have played them in limited and constructed.

4) QUESTION TO PARENTS
The wife and I have our first baby on the way. I remember the excitement of card games from my childhood and would like to share the hobby, BUT I also fear that MTG is a game where it's easy to burn money to get cards you want. I'd like the kid to enjoy the game without then becoming obsessed with spending huge amounts, or becoming overly materialistic (if they even enjoy the hobby and decide to take it up).
Do you have any advice on introducing your child to the game? At what age were they introduced? What ground rules did you set up?
In general, it is not a good idea to force your hobbies onto your children. They will copy your behavior and if they see that you enjoy something they will give it a chance when they are old enough. Your kid is not going to care about card games for another 6-10 years and you don't need to plan ahead for his or her sake.

Giving your children an allowance at an early age will learn them to take responsibility for their decisions. Both Hearthstone and Magic Duels can be played without spending any money, but if they want to waste their own money on digital cards instead of candy or toys then that's fine.

bigkrev

TLDR
Will core cards (i.e. Counterspell) remain in rotation, if so from what set?
What rotation do intro packs come from?
Cheapest+funnest way to get into the hobby?/If it's even possible, what's the cheapest way to build a mildly competitive collection for Standard?
Any tips from parents getting kids into the hobby?

Thanks a bunch everyone!

1.)No, there will be no more core sets. Magic Origins will rotate out of standard when Dragons of Tarkir does, about a year from now. There will always be a few reprints in each expansion, and any older copies of those cards you have will be legal as long as that expansion is legal.

2.)Intro packs will have cards from all sets in the block. Dragons of Tarkir intro packs include cards from Fate Reforged, for example. This is going to be confusing for a year, as Khans-Fate-Dragons are a "block", but for the purpose of standard rotation, Khans-Fates is a block, and Dragons-Origins are a block. This means that if you buy a Dragons of Tarkir Intro pack, it will not be legal when the Spring 2016 large set comes out, and standard rotates.

3.)Your TLDR question is pretty different from the longer question you asked, so I will give 2 answers. If you just want to get into the hobby, buy a Deckbuilders Toolkit or 2, and some of the ancillary products built around what you are interested in (ie, Commander decks if you want to play Commander/EDH, Duel Decks if you just want some quick jump-in experiences). If you want to show up at a Standard FNM and not be completely embarrassed, buy 2 (or more) copies of the most recent Event Deck or Clash Pack, and combine all the cards into 1 deck. For anything more than that (lets say you want to consistently be near the top of an FNM, or play in a GP or Open), you should just be buying singles, as it's significantly cheaper than just buying boosters.

4.) Not a parent, but all I would say is that if he doesn't seem to take to it, it's best to drop it and maybe try again a year or 2 later. Don't force it on to him.

Yeef

Eh kind of just knowledge. Nobody would have thought Rolling Thunder would be standard legal again, but from the spoilers we got a few weeks ago we know Rolling Thunder will be legal again come Oct 2. Outside of asking or knowing I really don't know of a site or resource to just look and see what reprints are legal.
If you go to magiccards.info and put in "f:standard is:reprint" it'll give you a list of all the cards in standard that have multiple printings.

http://magiccards.info/query?q=f:standard+is:reprint&v=card&s=color

Well this is certainly a weird card:

en_v0mRZCG8JG.png

traveler

Not Wario
I have no idea how to use him in EDH or Standard at the moment, but very cool design from a set I've been largely down on thus far. Hopefully, there's more to do than just pump shenanigans. Thumbs up.

Well this is certainly a weird card:

en_v0mRZCG8JG.png

I'm not sure I understand but let's say I target a +3/+3 and trample on him, every creature I own also gets that ?
The last sentence is confusing, let's say have him and A and B. I copy it for A and B, A's copy targets B and B's copy targets A, that's it ?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm not sure I understand but let's say I target a +3/+3 and trample on him, every creature I own also gets that ?
The last sentence is confusing, let's say have him and A and B. I copy it for A and B, A's copy targets B and B's copy targets A, that's it ?

Every creature that can yeah

EDIT: No on the last part, its just worded a bit weird to account for things like creatures that "can't be targeted". The "targets a different copy" text is so you don't make three copies because you have three other creatures and then target all of them at one creature to give it +9/+9

traveler

Not Wario
Stuff for Zada:

Image.ashx

Seems pretty funny with the right setup.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Great for EDH.

Image.ashx

Mega pump AND draw?

Image.ashx

Coordinated focus fire from your team.

Image.ashx

With evasion, could wipe an enemy board.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Will kill him, but could result in funny stuff.

This is probably a good Commander deck for Isochron Scepter.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Crap is there a one mana "prevent all damage to you this turn" spell? If so that's another T4 kill in Modern with just a single other creature out and Arcbond

Yeef

He turns Taigaim's Strike into a double, better Teleportal. He could also, potentially turn Defiant Strike (or other cantrip) into an Ancestral Recall.

You can cast Arcbond on him and watch the world burn.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You could get some serious shenanigans going with Soulfire Grandmaster, Chandra's Ignition and Zada. You could also just draw the game by doing that without any kind of effects that protect you.

I really need to see more playable Scion generators before I get hyped up for this card. It's basically worthless without sac outlets because even with hangarback or whetever they just kill this thing in response to the upkeep trigger and you're losing value.

And I'm not convinced people are playing this on the same turn as fleshbag or activating evo leap or whatever. Basically it's manaless sacrifice like Scions or bust. Either way playing two of these things is a massive risk.

This is a very black card, the sort that I love to play so I'm actually rooting for it to work out.

Matriox

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";177953237]I really need to see more playable Scion generators before I get hyped up for this card. It's basically worthless without sac outlets because even with hangarback or whetever they just kill this thing in response to the upkeep trigger and you're losing value.

And I'm not convinced people are playing this on the same turn as fleshbag or activating evo leap or whatever. Basically it's manaless sacrifice like Scions or bust. Either way playing two of these things is a massive risk.

This is a very black card, the sort that I love to play so I'm actually rooting for it to work out.[/QUOTE]

Never even considered that. That seems silly...

ultron87

You could get some serious shenanigans going with Soulfire Grandmaster, Chandra's Ignition and Zada. You could also just draw the game by doing that without any kind of effects that protect you.

The problem with using Ignition for that is that the first copy going off has a good chance of killing a bunch of your other creatures, which would fizzle the copies targeting them. You can make it work with Arcbond and kill everything, but Arcbond doesn't work the Grandmaster because the creature is the thing doing the damage.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with using Ignition for that is that the first copy going off has a good chance of killing a bunch of your other creatures, which would fizzle the copies targeting them. You can make it work with Arcbond and kill everything, but Arcbond doesn't work the Grandmaster because the creature is the thing doing the damage.

Grandmaster has Lifelink is what I was thinking of, but it wouldn't be enough to save yourself most of the time I think.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";177953237]I really need to see more playable Scion generators before I get hyped up for this card. It's basically worthless without sac outlets because even with hangarback or whetever they just kill this thing in response to the upkeep trigger and you're losing value.

This is a very black card, the sort that I love to play so I'm actually rooting for it to work out.[/QUOTE]It could fit into a BR colorless shell. Pia and Kiran, Thopter Engineer, Forerunner of Slaughter, Collateral Damage/Fiery Conclusion, Dominator Drone, Hangarback, Ghostfire Blade. Depending on how good the manabses are, you might even be able to run Grixis for Spy Network and Whirler Rogue.

Matriox

templeoftheforsakengods.jpg

Temple of the Forsaken Gods
Land - Rare
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
T: Add 2 to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast colorless spells and only if you control seven or more land.

Angry Grimace

The condition for getting the ramp from that card is overly restrictive. I'm not saying Eye of Ugin should be reprinted but reprint Eye of Ugin.

Firemind

I guess it helps to play Ugin and have counter mana up, but why do you need counter mana when you can blow everything up or play Haven of the Spirit Dragon instead?

Hero

The condition for getting the ramp from that card is overly restrictive. I'm not saying Eye of Ugin should be reprinted but reprint Eye of Ugin.

Will I have to read posts like this for the entire spoiler season every time a card gets spoiled?

It's good in multiples.

Angry Grimace

Will I have to read posts like this for the entire spoiler season every time a card gets spoiled?

It's good in multiples.

If you're going to get angry and upset every time I don't like a card, just put me on ignore. I don't really have an interest hearing you whine repeatedly about this.

Multiples of a card that give you nothing but colorless mana does not seem all that good in a format where most of the smaller Eldrazi are not colorless to cast.

templeoftheforsakengods.jpg

Temple of the Forsaken Gods
Land - Rare
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
T: Add 2 to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast colorless spells and only if you control seven or more land.
I mean, if you're a dedicated landfall deck topping out with Eldrazi, maybe? Otherwise I'd rather just play mage-ring network or something.

Hero

If you're going to get angry and upset every time I don't like a card, just put me on ignore. I don't really have an interest hearing you whine repeatedly about this.

Multiples of a card that give you nothing but colorless mana does not seem all that good in a format where most of the smaller Eldrazi are not colorless to cast.

How did you infer anger from any of my posts? You're getting extremely predictable in your armchair analysis and again not adding anything of value to the discussion. At least when we were in community it might have been defendable since there were only so many people posting but this is in off topic and I doubt people really need to be reading posts where you just trash new cards by comparing them to old ones, but that's just my two cents.

I also don't understand why you're saying this doesn't matter for small Eldrazi considering you're not going to be at 7 lands to trigger it and you can tap it for one mana anyway. Not to mention all of the colored Eldrazi are devoid so this actually does work on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom