• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sacred Foundry is back!? AW YISS

Its part of a supplemental set you can open in BFZ boosters that is not actually part of the set or legal in Standard.

It's all 10 fetchlands and all 10 shocklands + 5 duals from BFZ (that are standard legal)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
tJVhMlL.png

Damn. Noah, calm down.

So fucking pretty

I just hope they release all of these so I can use them as phone wallpapers

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
To clarify, it isn't Standard legal. I go over it in the OP, but there's a set within the set, with each card at a rarity beyond mythic rare, made up of full-art versions of nonbasic lands.

Ultra Parallel Rare

Hero

So as someone that doesn't follow the lore what's up with Sarkhan and Sorin? Like Ugin died on Tarkhir so Sarkhan went to time travel save him? And Sorin talked to Ugin about Eldrazi and then what?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So as someone that doesn't follow the lore what's up with Sarkhan and Sorin? Like Ugin died on Tarkhir so Sarkhan went to time travel save him? And Sorin talked to Ugin about Eldrazi and then what?

As far as we gather, Sorin is off trying to find Nahiri to do...something, probably involving the next time we see the Eldrazi, and Ugin is...I thought he was going to show up on Zendikar but there's literally no sign of that so far?

kirblar

Sarkhan is happy on Tarkir, hanging out with Dragons while he slowly turns into the villain of the next Tarkir block.

As far as we gather, Sorin is off trying to find Nahiri to do...something, probably involving the next time we see the Eldrazi, and Ugin is...I thought he was going to show up on Zendikar but there's literally no sign of that so far?

He's in the blocks story at least. One of the Artifacts has him having a conversation with Jace in the flavour Text.

Edit: Hedron Archive

Angry Grimace

Sarkhan was tortured by voiced in his head that convinced him he needed to go to the past (via Ugin's Nexus) where he used a hedron fragment he got in the Eye of Ugin on Ugin (who was dying from a lost battle against Nicol Bolas), which encased him for a thousand years and healed him.

Sorin came looking for Ugin in Khans of Tarkir and found out he was dead. In the alternate timeline, Sorin came looking for Ugin in Dragons of Tarkir (which occurred at the same time) and found Ugin's hedron-shell and released him from it.

Ugin told Sorin that they needed to go to Zendikar and reseal the Eldrazi, and Sorin was like "uh well yeah, Nahiri isn't around" and it was left vague what actually happened. Ugin gave Sorin a bunch of shit and told him to go get her. That was all we saw.

Sarkhan settled down on Tarkir with his waifu Narset to bask in the glory of DRAGONS EVERYWHERE

Hero

Huh, interesting. I just read some of the story summaries on one of Wizards' pages.

So are we expecting Ugin, Sorin and Nahiri to be in BFZ block? Seems it'd be difficult to involve all these planeswalkers we know are part of Oathsworn plus more.

Huh, interesting. I just read some of the story summaries on one of Wizards' pages.

So are we expecting Ugin, Sorin and Nahiri to be in BFZ block? Seems it'd be difficult to involve all these planeswalkers we know are part of Oathsworn plus more.

Ugin will be in this block's story, but he won't have a card.
Sorin, surprisingly, doesn't seem like he will be in this block's story. It appears he was sent off to get Nahiri while Ugin went ahead to Zendikar, and the heroes will do whatever they're doing before Sorin gets back.

Hero

A fanbase produces fancomics, who would have thought.

I suppose so, I just think all these years Wizards has really failed with capitalizing on these characters and making them more than tropes. I understand they're trying to rectify that now. Like when Venser died I was like that sucks but he brought back Karn so that was a net positive.

Angry Grimace

No, but I don't expect them to resolve the Eldrazi threat either. They might seal off Ulamog, but Kozilek and Emrakul are still kicking around.

cdViking

If they expect people to play Eldrazi because standard will be slower then there is no way Bolt is getting reprinted now.

Mono Red is the aggressive deck that would potentially benefit from Lightning Bolt being reprinted, and could actually suffer, given its current Swiftspear/Stoke drivers. It would destroy small creature aggro strategies and slow things down significantly, on the net.

Hero

Mono Red is the aggressive deck that would potentially benefit from Lightning Bolt being reprinted, and could actually suffer, given its current Swiftspear/Stoke drivers. It would destroy small creature aggro strategies and slow things down significantly, on the net.

But then everyone would just play mono red if it's that fast.

f0rk

I hope tango lands sticks to annoy all these pros on twitter

It's funny seeing the site that insisted on replacing BUG with Sultai complain about it

Angry Grimace

It's funny seeing the site that insisted on replacing BUG with Sultai complain about it

It's already sticking.

Bunch of leaked cards from MTGS. May not be real, or at least may not be accurate since it's from memory. In particular, I have a hard time believing the artifact is exactly what the leaker claims. EDIT: OK, it's 4 or greater, not 4 or less. Now it's more believable.

Drana 1BB
Creature- Vampire Ally
Flying, First Strike
When " deals combat damage to an opponent, put a +1/+1 counter on each attacking creature you control.
2/3
-She has the art from the Game Day playmat

O-Ring Artifact 4
Artifact
When " ETB exile all creatures with power 4 or greater. When " leaves play, return them to play.

Awaken Cancel 1UU
Instant
Counter target spell.
Awaken 3-4UU

Scion Awakening Zone 3G
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep put a 1/1 Eldrazi Scion into play.

Yeef

Or just kill people on turn 4.

Turn 1, Swiftspear, take1
Turn 2, Swiftspear, Bolt take 7
Turn 3, Firecraft, take 8
Turn 4, Any burn spell, die

Mono-red that doesn't need to slow down the format, the other decks need to slow down mono red.

Mono-red in every format said:

ironmang

Ob Nixilis preordering for only $15 seems surprising. Even less than that from ebay with free shipping. Might have to grab a set.

Angry Grimace

Bunch of leaked cards from MTGS. May not be real, or at least may not be accurate since it's from memory. In particular, I have a hard time believing the artifact is exactly what the leaker claims. EDIT: OK, it's 4 or greater, not 4 or less. Now it's more believable.

Drana 1BB
Creature- Vampire Ally
Flying, First Strike
When " deals combat damage to an opponent, put a +1/+1 counter on each attacking creature you control.
2/3
-She has the art from the Game Day playmat

O-Ring Artifact 4
Artifact
When " ETB exile all creatures with power 4 or greater. When " leaves play, return them to play.

Awaken Cancel 1UU
Instant
Counter target spell.
Awaken 3-4UU

Scion Awakening Zone 3G
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep put a 1/1 Eldrazi Scion into play.
Source is literally a guy who "knows a guy" which is why I didn't even mention them.

Ob Nixilis preordering for only $15 seems surprising. Even less than that from ebay with free shipping. Might have to grab a set.

Oh yeah that's a decent pickup price.

Yeef

That Artifact, if real, is bonkers and almost certainly mythic. I can't imagine its real though. These designs are a little too on-the-nose.

• Drana is just Vampire Nighthawk + Sengir Vampire amped up a notch. Misread the card. It's actually closer to Necropolis Regent.
  • Awaken Cancel is a pretty predictable design. They will often just taken cancel and add a block keyword to it, so that one might be real even if it's just this person guessing.
  • Scion Awakening Zone is literally just Awaking Zone with 1 mana added and making scions instead of spawn. It's a super-lazy design for a return set.

Angry Grimace

He's good but he also doesn't do a lot to mess with board states despite the -3.

Any PW at $15 or less I'm likely to just preorder because they never go under $15 during the release window and if I don't want it I just puca that shit off. I made a lot of money off of both Sarkhan and Sorin in the first 3 weeks after release of KTK.

Crocodile

I don't know if Tango lands are the best nicknames possible but the more these people SCREAM and CRY about Tango lands, the more I and others want to see it stick :p

That Artifact, if real, is bonkers and almost certainly mythic. I can't imagine its real though. These designs are a little too on-the-nose.

• Drana is just Vampire Nighthawk + Sengir Vampire amped up a notch. Misread the card. It's actually closer to Necropolis Regent.
  • Awaken Cancel is a pretty predictable design. They will often just taken cancel and add a block keyword to it, so that one might be real even if it's just this person guessing.
  • Scion Awakening Zone is literally just Awaking Zone with 1 mana added and making scions instead of spawn. It's a super-lazy design for a return set.

Seems like a play straight out of WOTC's play book then :p

Angry Grimace

It basically doesn't matter what they're called as long as everyone just calls them the same freakin' thing.

fAdvFiK.png

Hero

Any PW at $15 or less I'm likely to just preorder because they never go under $15 during the release window and if I don't want it I just puca that shit off. I made a lot of money off of both Sarkhan and Sorin in the first 3 weeks after release of KTK.

How many did you order and at what price? 15 does seem pretty low for a PW that seems like it could fit into a bunch of shells.

Toxi

Banned
Tangolands makes me think of lands that taste like astronaut juice.
hedronarchive.jpg

Angry Grimace

How many did you order and at what price? 15 does seem pretty low for a PW that seems like it could fit into a bunch of shells.

Well with Sorin I preordered him at $10 and then he spiked to $30 and I traded a few off for fetchlands.

That one was a case of people saying "This card sucks because its not Sorin, Lord of Innistrad." And then a few days later everyone realized how his plus actually works and he spiked.

Sorin's still a beating when he comes down and he does see fringe modern play in tokens deck (where he's straight up better than LOI anyways because of Intangible Virtue existing).

Sorin likely vamped Nahiri, right?

One common theory is that he somehow used Nahiri's body to create Avacyn, but I feel like we wouldn't be returning to Innistrad this soon or even within the next few blocks. It is possible that the Sorin / Nahiri thing won't be a block story and will instead just be shown in Uncharted Realms, though.

kirblar

One common theory is that he somehow used Nahiri's body to create Avacyn, but I feel like we wouldn't be returning to Innistrad this soon or even within the next few blocks. It is possible that the Sorin / Nahiri thing won't be a block story and will instead just be shown in Uncharted Realms, though.
Nahiri building the Helvault would make more sense if you wanted that kind of retcon.

Angry Grimace

I'd buy that if not for the fact that it sounds straight up lift from Akroma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom