• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna be in Philly next month, but my plane ticket back is the first day of the Open :-(

I can't recall your exact list, but I know you're going heavy on the burn plan, but I feel like we can race just fine without the burn. I just think that Soulfire/Mantis Rider/Jace backed up by a plethora of answers is our best chance at winning.

Also play Gideon in the main! He just does so much. the emblem makes all of our creatures super good, he makes blockers when you're dealing with the fast r/g decks in the world, and a 5/5 indestructible beater is pretty good.

I also think we shouldn't be playing any sorcery speed removal that doesn't wipe out the opponent's board (see exquisite firecraft).

Jeskai Black is in a good spot and it sounds like a whiskey. I just need to figure out if I want to jump up to 25 lands, what to remove in that scenario, and if I want a dispel in the main. My most frequently sided out card is DL Ojutai, so he may have to go.

Also having Dragon Outcast in the SB seems super funny.

My list is on the last page, and I've got a Dispel in the main. It's sweet.

If I had to play a tournament next week, it'd definitely be with Jeskai Black.

Why are fast packs so hard to find?/ Debating a booster box or skipping entirely.

Because people are snappin' 'em up for the 80 Basic Lands that are in them. They are abnormally desirable because the basics are Full Art.

I called a couple LGS near me and they are sold out of everything. Only intro packs left

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It goes into the graveyard. "Creatureness" isn't something that floats on top of the land. It is a land creature:
Image.ashx

Quick newb question

Make a land an awaken creature

It dies in combat

Does land go in graveyard too or stay a land

Graveyard. The term "dies" itself is a shorthand for "put into the graveyard from the battlefield".

EDIT: Really don't think Dryad Arbor is something you should be using to clear things up for a new player.

Haines

Banned
Thanks! What i thought but never want to be unfair to the wifey.

Btw got a foil in out first pack ever. Sylvant scrying. How rare are foils?

duxstar

Still upset at Major's for not blocking in game 2, I think the game goes differently if he blocks with deathmist raptor, still takes a ton of damage, but then atarka red loses the guy, and you have hangarback, and that matchup is all about keeping your life total high.

In fact Gerry Thompson did the same thing, my thinking against mono/atarka red is that you block and save your life total as much as possible. It's not like the deck is unbeatable, like anything its how much of your sideboard do you want to devote to the matchup. righteousness is still a card that I would imagine does a ton of work against them.

duxstar

Also lol at anyone wanting to play standard now a days

Each fetchland = ~20 bux a piece
Jace as a 4 of in almost all the top decks = 320 bux
Gideon as a 4 of in the other decks = $180

I dont even want to pay the money for 4 gideon's =/

Bandini

Finally got to draft with my Fat Pack today! Opened 3 packs last night for the hell of it, drafted with 3 and sold 3 to my buddy today for our 4 player draft. Scalding Tarn Expedition in the last pack! Kind of in shock, I can actually finish out a Modern deck now.

http://i.imgur.com/YDjRUVO.jpg

Haines

Banned
When there is an ability like

Tap add 1 to your mana pool

Is that like. Take a spare mana card to my table everytime i tap that card or just, tap, add 1 mana for this turn

When there is an ability like

Tap add 1 to your mana pool

Is that like. Take a spare mana card to my table everytime i tap that card or just, tap, add 1 mana for this turn

Land!=Mana

You tap Land or Creatures for Mana. If it says Add 1 to your Mana pool, you add 1 Mana.

And people complain that Modern is expensive.

On the plus side, if people would hold onto their cards post-rotation, fetch lands and some other cards that are good in standard right now (or just rotated out like Thoughtsieze) are good in Modern and maybe the format could grow.

I may be just speaking on a local level, but all that gets played around here is because people dump an absurd amount of money into Standard deck of the week but then complain about how Modern is expensive.
Which it is.

Haines

Banned
Ok, so i still dont 100 % understand. If i tap a blighted, i get 1 mana for that turn. If a scion token dies i get 1 mana for that turn.

Is that right?

Meanwhile my under-$50 Sultai deck put the whooping on these clowns running 4x fetchlands and planeswalkers.

Ok, so i still dont 100 % understand. If i tap a blighted, i get 1 mana for that turn. If a scion token dies i get 1 mana for that turn.

Is that right?

Not dies, you have to sacrifice the Token. There's a huge distinction there in technical terms as Valorous Stance can't kill a creature with Indestructible but the creature can be sacked.

If you tap a Blighted Land(like Blighted Woodland) you get 1 colourless Mana to use during that phase. If you sacrifice a Scion, you get 1 Mana for that phase until the turn ends.

Way it works:
Whenever you tap a land, you generate 1 Mana of either that lands colour(Canopy Vista gets G or W Mana when tapped). When you move from a phase to the next, your Mana pool empties unless otherwise specified.

Phases are:
Untap
Upkeep
Draw
Main Phase 1
Combat Phase(which has the following mini phases){
Beginning of Combat
Declare Attackers
Declare Blockers
Damage Dealt Step
End of Combat
}
Main Phase 2
End Step.

Meanwhile my under-$50 Sultai deck put the whooping on these clowns running 4x fetchlands and planeswalkers.
My under $100(Minus The fetches, which are mostly for thinning) White Weenie has been doing admirably well considering I had to rebuild it from Token based to Individual creatures.

Haines

Banned
Ok great i understand the way the mana works now.

Where can i go to ask magic questions bc i dont want to ruin your guys thread.

I dont undertsand this stasis snare card. Do i have to enchant my own creature to exile a target creature, or does it literally just sit on the battlefield.

I dont undertsand this stasis snare card. Do i have to enchant my own creature to exile a target creature, or does it literally just sit on the battlefield.

You can use this thread for all MtG related chat, newbie questions included. We'll be glad to help.

Stasis Snare is an enchantment. It stays on the board permanently until some other cards / effects removes it. When it comes into play, you exile a target creature (any opponent's creature, or even your own). The creature remains exiled until Stasis Snare leaves play.

hort

Neo Member

You target the creature you want to exile (most likely your opponents) and stasis snare sits on the battlefield for the rest of the game and that creature is exiled. Most people will put the exiled creature underneath the stasis snare card as an easy reminder which creature was exiled by it.

If stasis snare gets destroyed or exiled then the creature it was targeting with its exile ability would come back into the game (assuming it didn't get processed back to the graveyard from one of the new eldrazi)

Haines

Banned
Ok thanks guys. Makes a lot of sense. As long as im not annoying i wil continue to ask questions. I try googling when i can.

I guess i just didnt undertsand an enchantment could sit on the battlefield but now i know!

Sounds great. I will check it out tmrw! Rest of nigt is romance time with the wifey. She was thrilled when she cracked her very first pack and got the shiny, only to be less thrilled when next round mine contained it. Haha,

How do you guys go about selling cards? local shop? My buddy said they generally pay 70% of what is losted online and im only to assume prices go down as more cards flood the market?

OnPoint

Yep. Fuck that noise. Not interested in standard these days due to price alone. Honestly the high price tag of everything lately is turning me off of the game. Hopefully the predictions of BFZ crashing in price ring true.

Fetches are all about $7, which is fine. You should have most of those by now anyway. Gideon is way overpriced right now, just like every other flashy mythic from the new set. Freaking out over new card prices when a set launches is a little bit dumb.

Jace is Jace. He's jacked way up right now because people are speculating but I would expect him to fall back down after Milwaukee, if not sooner. He's still going to be expensive though, just not $70.

kirblar

Fetches are all about $7, which is fine. You should have most of those by now anyway. Gideon is way overpriced right now, just like every other flashy mythic from the new set. Freaking out over new card prices when a set launches is a little bit dumb.

Jace is Jace. He's jacked way up right now because people are speculating but I would expect him to fall back down after Milwaukee, if not sooner. He's still going to be expensive though, just not $70.
You might want to go refresh your price knowledge on fetches.

People should have picked them all up when they were sub-$10.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've got two NM Deltas that I pulled from Khans, I have literally no use for them but I also really am not in a position where $60 matters that much. I guess I'm just going to hold onto them?

Yep. Fuck that noise. Not interested in standard these days due to price alone. Honestly the high price tag of everything lately is turning me off of the game. Hopefully the predictions of BFZ crashing in price ring true.

I hope so as well for the BFZ cards, but Jace is going to continue to rise in price until he hits $80+. Add to this the Fetches continuing to rise in Price and it's just bleh.

I have no issues with high priced cards being high priced in Standard(Modern is a whole other ball game,one that Wizards really needs to just start kicking in the shins price wise) but there needs to be a cap on these.

I'd almost go so far as to suggest Wizards just either cans Mythic rarity as a whole. If you have to rebalance the cards for Rare for Limited to function then fine by me, but it's pants on head stupid to sit there and let cards like Jace hit $80 and act like it's not an issue.

Heh, I just realized, the irony here is that as much as everyone hates on Red for being a n00b deck that takes no skill and is cheap, Blue is becoming the rich players deck. $416 for 12 cards in the Blue decks, and that's just Jace+The two fetches in Blue, without any other cards.

Man, where are you finding $7 fetches? TCG Player and SCG has them starting at $13.

EDIT: NM, saw where you clarified.

Firemind

Gideon's design sure is something. I fired up MTGO a few times this week and I was immediately greeted by Gideon's constipated face. :lol

Yeef

The reason Jace and the fetches are high is because they see play outside of Standard. It's a bit of a catch-22. If the power of a set is so low that cards don't leave standard, people complain about it, but if there are cards that see play outside of standard it makes the prices soar.

Hopefully moving to the BBA draft format for second sets will alleviate some of the price issues caused by small sets sticking around for shorter periods and being opened less.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Heh, I just realized, the irony here is that as much as everyone hates on Red for being a n00b deck that takes no skill and is cheap, Blue is becoming the rich players deck. $416 for 12 cards in the Blue decks, and that's just Jace+The two fetches in Blue, without any other cards.

I always sort of wonder how much of Blue domination is due to actual power in Blue (these days) and how much is due to the kind of people who play competitive Magic skewing towards enjoying how Blue plays

Jhriad

Everyone should feel free to ask anything about Magic in this thread. It might take a bit to get an answer but we'll try to answer to the best of our ability. Don't let the various ongoing discussions keep you from asking or commenting about anything. :)

The Walkers still need to come down. I thought that the Intro deck would drop them a bit more.

In other news, I've been thinking of building another EDH deck and a Daretti deck looks cool. I thought about just buying Daretti as a single and then using a Stax netdeck or something but the Red pre-con can be purchased for like $32 at Wal-Mart and it looks like it has some very good value in it. Like over $80 worth of value according to deckbox stats.

I'd almost go so far as to suggest Wizards just either cans Mythic rarity as a whole.

Mythic is the reason fetchlands are $10-20 right now instead of $25-40, so I'm not sure that would be a particularly productive choice. Standard is much more price-friendly overall now than it was in, say, the Onslaught era.

Ok thanks guys. Makes a lot of sense. As long as im not annoying i wil continue to ask questions. I try googling when i can.

Part of the reason we bumped the thread into OT temporarily was to make it more accessible to newer players. Feel free to ask questions, people here don't bite (mostly.)

Mythic is the reason fetchlands are $10-20 right now instead of $25-40, so I'm not sure that would be a particularly productive choice. Standard is much more price-friendly overall now than it was in, say, the Onslaught era.

Is that actually true? I seem to remember tier 1 decks in the Onslaught days that weren't comprised exclusively of rares.

Edit: Wait I was thinking of Odyssey. Can't remember what was big in Onslaught

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom