• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a 12 year old on camera playing a Jeskai deck with Crackling Doom. I'm going to assume that is God's Beard.

Well my last name means child in Italian, so...

It's not. (I've top 8'd two of them- people at 6-0....shoudln't have been at 6-0, lol.)

Literally the first tournament I ever entered bigger than FNM was an Open and I got top 64 :p

Cause whip is da bess

The only other big tournament was a team sealed GP though :(

Still salty about missing GP San Diego.

Jhriad

Man, the free M:tG clients are better than M:tGO.

WotC is just not good at digital products.

For what they were, I think the Duels of the Planeswalkers products prior to the last two were actually quite good. When they went to actually trying to allow for real deck construction the quality went to shit, for a variety of reasons.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
5c Bring to Light can't beat Chandra, it looks like. I guess he can Utter End it, but that seems pretty bad.

Haines

Banned
Bought my first 6 magic packs today. Was going to play pack wars with the wife tonight.

Forgot to buy sleeves.

Fuck?

kirblar

I dunno, as opposed to...how often they show up at a competitive level? Having the determiner for "gold set" be "how often you open gold cards" seems pretty straightforward
He's used it to justify the quantity of gold cards in BFZ - it's an issue because the gold cards are BETTER than the other cards and warp things around themselves.

Bought my first 6 magic packs today. Was going to play pack wars with the wife tonight.

Forgot to buy sleeves.

Fuck?
It's fine, personally. Sleeves are nice and can make shuffling easier (I can't riffle very well) since you can mash shuffle. You cant do that much damage in a single evening and even then, the only way it matters is if you open insane value and actually intend to sell or trade.

I've played casually for over a year never sold or traded a single card. But I might be an exception.

Daedardus

Forgot to buy sleeves.

Fuck?

The chance you pull something great and manage to damage it in those twenty minutes is very small. Just don't riffle shuffle or otherwise put cards border to border when shuffling.

Hackworth

What site would i use to check value of cards? And its pretty mich only the gold or oranges, that are worth anything correct?
Card Kingdom is used by my game store to check prices.

Occasionally there are comparatively high value uncommons or whatever, but yeah, most money cards are rare or mythic. In Battle for Zendikar, most of the value is contained in the Expeditions: they're foil mythic lands with full-card art.
"]Here's a full list of Expedition cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180708460]Two Jeskai decks splashing Crackling Doom and a 5C Bring to Light in the top 8.

I'm loving it.[/QUOTE]

The BTL player is like the best player on the SCG circuit though and play has been pretty bad. Also, Gerry is about to lose to Atarka Red.

Angry Grimace

The man can't keep down RDW.

Remember that thing where I said 5C Bring to Light is too slow for Red Aggro and God's Beard was like, "no this is the best deck ever" over and over and over

The BTL player is like the best player on the SCG circuit though and play has been pretty bad. Also, Gerry is about to lose to Atarka Red.

It's alright, the Jeskai decks will destroy the Atarka Red deck. I never expected BTL to be favored in the matchup.

At least it's comforting that one of the top players is recognizing the power of BTL. It's nowhere close to tuned for anybody yet.

Remember that thing where I said 5C Bring to Light is too slow for Red Aggro and God's Beard was like, "no this is the best deck ever" over and over and over

I never once claimed it was the best deck and I never claimed it would be favored against Red Aggro, I actually said I recognized its weakness to the aggressive decks. The only thing I said was that I loved the archetype and its consistency. I just post my lists a lot which some people misconstrue as overconfidence. I actually brought up different matches I was losing to a couple times like Eldrazi ramp.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180710060]It's alright, the Jeskai decks will destroy the Atarka Red deck. I never expected BTL to be favored in the matchup.

At least it's comforting that one of the top players is recognizing the power of the BTL deck.

I never once claimed it was the best deck and I never claimed it would be favored against Red Aggro, I actually said I recognized its weakness to the aggressive decks. The only thing I said was that I loved the archetype and its consistency. I just post my lists a lot which some people misconstrue as overconfidence. I actually brought up different matches I was losing to a couple times like Eldrazi ramp.[/QUOTE]

I was just joking with you for fun then you started taking it personally. I wasn't picking an argument.

Hackworth

Pack wars is three of each basic land and one booster pack per player, right?
I'm looking for an excuse to buy some boosters and pack wars might cover it.

I was just joking with you for fun then you started taking it personally. I wasn't picking an argument.

Yeah, I got the reference with the over and over and over. That said, I'm excited that I'm probably not a crazy person. I did lose a few local tournaments due to my unwillingness to play anything but Whip strategies last season. I'm a little too Timmy in that sense.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180710528]Yeah, I got the reference with the over and over and over. That said, I'm excited that I'm probably not a crazy person. I did lose a few local tournaments due to my unwillingness to play anything but Whip strategies last season. I'm a little too Timmy in that sense.[/QUOTE]So I then take it you understand that the thing where you say something passive-aggressive and then go "lolololol I was just joking you got played!" when the target gets annoyed is super lame.

Also, that's not Timmy, that's Johnny. But yeah, Crackling Doom in Jeskai seems like a really good fit so far.

Man, the free M:tG clients are better than M:tGO.

Yeah I think they'd honestly be better off just buying out a free MTG piracy app, or maybe making the HEX guys give them access to their engine as part of their settlement.

I have no idea why they're so incapable on this front, but they're shockingly consistent about it.

Because they pay tabletop money, which is even worse than digital gaming money.

Rosewater viewing Gold only in terms of "As-Fan" is completely ridiculous.

Eh, I think the idea of calling something like Theros a "gold set" is dumb. Total volume of cards is important too but Theros and BFZ aren't close on that score either.

Haines

Banned
Pack wars is three of each basic land and one booster pack per player, right?
I'm looking for an excuse to buy some boosters and pack wars might cover it.

I would have to google it but my buddy only used 2 of each land when we played, and one booster. He said it does screw you on some cards that need three so you just kind of cheat.

Angry Grimace

I haven't seen a ton of control this weekend, this is the first one.

kirblar

Eh, I think the idea of calling something like Theros a "gold set" is dumb. Total volume of cards is important too but Theros and BFZ aren't close on that score either.
He keeps defending the # of gold cards in BFZ by referring to the As-Fan. This is a problem. (Theros was fine, there was a good reason for those cards to be there.)

I haven't seen a ton of control this weekend, this is the first one.
I heard that running Control early in a format was risky because you don't fully know what you're controlling, but when I tuned into SCG a bit earlier, I saw some... I wonder if that's a statement in it's own right (or just odd timing on my part).

kirblar

Not tapping out to rebuy and play Ojutai was a screw up- he didn't have the time left in the game to screw around- he needed to try and get a game-winning air attack up ASAP and pray that the manifest didn't flip up when Ojutai blocks it.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180715540]Jeskai lost to Atarka Red :-([/QUOTE]
This made me sad. It's a good matchup with all the lifelink and mantis riders, but you can just take 18 on a random turn you don't feel like blocking with a mantis rider and that's that.

Neoweee

MTGO's problem is that it is trying to be a digital replica of a game designed without digital limitations in mind. Rules bloat and interactions are absurd. Like, a factor of 20x, 30x, or something compared to Hearthstone. After 1.5 years, Hearthstone is up to, like, 9 different things that are frequent enough to be called "keywords"? And then anything that would be complicated, or require input from the player, is turned into a random effect so they don't have to bother programming interfaces.

Okay, now you're just getting silly. The free clients aren't even close.

Yeah, I was going to ask for some more info. Which ones even properly process a decent number of the card mechanics? Most of them are basically just graphical table tops with some tools to tinker with for bookkeeping, right?

kirblar

Get Zurgos before they jump too, it hasn't budged yet but is a 4x in DeMars's build.

Also, not an accident that it's winning the first PT/SCG under new mulligan rules. They're going to have to push the red weenies back down power-wise.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180715540]Jeskai lost to Atarka Red :-([/QUOTE]

It's a better deck than people were giving it credit for. I still hate that deck, but I like that it keeps the midrange decks honest.

y2dvd

Where are yall buying fat packs? Been outta town all weekend and gonna look for one at Target or Walmart because I'm sure my lgs will be out.

Also lol at Jace. So glad I traded my Nissa for him in the first week of release. I think she was $10 up at the time. Traded for another one when it was at $45 and opened another. 1 short of a playset. Anyone had to eat crow on Jace lol.

In worst news, moved into a new apt and my movers lost a box of my mtg stuff which included at least a playset of Flooded Strands. Pretty sad about that. :(

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180716456]Any thoughts on the differences in our lists?[/QUOTE]
I can't recall your exact list, but I know you're going heavy on the burn plan, but I feel like we can race just fine without the burn. I just think that Soulfire/Mantis Rider/Jace backed up by a plethora of answers is our best chance at winning.

Also play Gideon in the main! He just does so much. the emblem makes all of our creatures super good, he makes blockers when you're dealing with the fast r/g decks in the world, and a 5/5 indestructible beater is pretty good.

I also think we shouldn't be playing any sorcery speed removal that doesn't wipe out the opponent's board (see exquisite firecraft).

Jeskai Black is in a good spot and it sounds like a whiskey. I just need to figure out if I want to jump up to 25 lands, what to remove in that scenario, and if I want a dispel in the main. My most frequently sided out card is DL Ojutai, so he may have to go.

Also having Dragon Outcast in the SB seems super funny.

Haines

Banned
Hearthstone is great. Ive played it religiously for like 2 years.

But for all its good as a client, it sacrifices a lot of user interactivity to be simple and smooth. Like the newest thing is jousts. You dont interact. Just watch an animation. So the great interface makes the game a bit to simple in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom