• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

I mean, sure, but any 8+ drop is a pain to play against in limited if it actually manages to get cast, so that's kind of a bad metric to judge it by. Plus all of the removal kills/removes giant creatures is odd anyways (bone splinters, exile enchantment (1WW), planar outburst, Ob Nixilis, etc).

It would be fine as a rare, I think.
It's not just about removal; not being able to play more blockers and not being able to block with tokens, lands and half your other creatures is huge in this format; especially when they have a giant creature.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't normally think that my collection needs culling or anything but goddamn going through building some intro decks for some friends tonight and I do not need like 24 copies of Cancel

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So just as we thought

People are willing to play 5 color so they can have 8 copies of siege rhino.

I'm starting to wonder if Crumble to Dust won't see sideboard play. Sure killing a Canopy Vista is no good since they probably have other ways to get green or white, but how many blue sources can they have, or red ? 1 - 2 tops ?

Really wish there was better land destruction.

PS Gideon is legit , now I need 4 of them =/
Anyone need ugin, or hangarback or Drana ? Ob nixilis ?

I knew I shouldve bought in on him at 25
Gideon is fucking nuts. I +'d him once (dealt 5), traded my hangarback for 2 thopters, then the next turn played a soulfire grandmaster, activated the emblem, and still had mana up for removal, 2 2/2 flyers, a 1 Loyalty Gideon, and a 3/3 lifelinker.

The fuck is that!

It's not just about removal; not being able to play more blockers and not being able to block with tokens, lands and half your other creatures is huge in this format; especially when they have a giant creature.

I don't disagree, I just think you're probably losing that game if you have no way of removing it. Replace him with the 8/9 trample eldrazi and its not too different. That's a common. Just a tomato / tomahto disagreement.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't normally think that my collection needs culling or anything but goddamn going through building some intro decks for some friends tonight and I do not need like 24 copies of Cancel

Hahaha...yeah. I used this rotation as a major cull. I had like, 30 copies of Bump in the Night because I loved jamming that card back when it was in standard. I think 5 copies is good enough...(4 for RB burn one day and one for das Kube)

I used to give the cards away to new players but I don't know where to find them out here. I have 3 5000 card boxes full of cards that I'm just going to donate to to local thrift shop.

duxstar

PS I think Im cursed with this set

Twice I've been paired down in the final round out of 3 drafts, in both I was undefeated.

Here are rare cards I have 3 of

Blight Herder
Nissa's Renewal
Beastcaller Savant

Cards I have 2 of

Exert Influence
Part the Waterveil
Scatter to the Wind
Gruesome Slaughter

Yep this set hates me. Out of 30 packs (keeping a tally in my head to see when I open the first expedition)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Atarka's Command blew up. (Sigh of relief when I checked and had indeed preordered a set.)

I ordered a playset when they were like 2 bucks. I rule.

I assure you I will sell them as soon as I can because fuck playing shitty aggro.

Gideon is fucking nuts. I +'d him once (dealt 5), traded my hangarback for 2 thopters, then the next turn played a soulfire grandmaster, activated the emblem, and still had mana up for removal, 2 2/2 flyers, a 1 Loyalty Gideon, and a 3/3 lifelinker.

The fuck is that!

I don't disagree, I just think you're probably losing that game if you have no way of removing it. Replace him with the 8/9 trample eldrazi and its not too different. That's a common. Just a tomato / tomahto disagreement.

(you can't attack with Gideon the turn he comes into play)

Daedardus

I'm using my box for a marathon session pack wars and one four people draft with friends. It's the only way I can be sure I had fun out of it.

Did a draft today that was really weird. Ended up drafting almost entirely green with a tiny bit of black. It was almost all ramp cards and a handful of big eldrazi. Went 3-0 without dropping a single game. It was bananas how well it worked. Was really fortuitous to get Oblivion Sower in my first pack and then From Beyond passed to me.

Catacomb Sifter is a busted uncommon. I cannot stress how incredible it is with scions.

Firemind

Not that surprising.

Origins hasn't been opened in the same quantity as Khans in a set with not a lot of quality mythics.

Thank fuck I abandoned constructed. This is going to be a long year.

WanderingWind

Holy crap, I thought y'all were talking about 50 buck Jaces. 85 dollars??

Dude, I can't hold on to my playset at that price. I held onto Bonfire when it spiked to 50 and regretted it ever since. It's time to sell.

But freaking how.

Wichu

Dude, I can't hold on to my playset at that price. I held onto Bonfire when it spiked to 50 and regretted it ever since. It's time to sell.

But freaking how.

It's not actually worth $85. Other than Alter Reality Games trying to sell at $85, non-foils are completely sold out on TCGPlayer. Once people start relisting them, it'll probably be $60-70.

But that's still a ton.

WanderingWind

They're sold out everywhere at between that price now. No way they'll relist for the same amount. 85 may be the high end right now, but that is the price if you want to own them now. Not to get too deep into the semantics of what something actually costs, but if it's listed for 85 bucks, then that is its worth at this current time. I believe that price is unsustainable, for sure. Again, Bonfire burned (GET IT? HAHAHA) pretty bad when I bought a set for 30ish bucks and didn't sell when they hit 50 bucks a pop. I was less good at Modern then and believed it was eternal playable.

Jhriad

It's time to sell.

Yeah, this isn't going to stick for long. There are already a few copies on eBay for 70-75 so if you're going to sell, sell soon. I'm a little annoyed at myself for not finishing my set of Atarka's Command. Not that I have any intention of using them any time soon but I just figured I'd be able to get them for $4-5 sometime at a later date. If I'd put a little more thought into that I'd have seen this coming.

Daedardus

Glad that my fat pack from Origins where I pulled a Jace and a Hangarback Walker is paying off, it's the only product I bought from the set.

In retrospect, my trade of an MP Force of Will for two Jaces and a Hangarback Walker is not so terrible.

Playing 4-color Jeskai Tempo/Control and it seems to be faring pretty well. Tested favorably vs. R/G Landfall and Abzan Aristocrats. Running 11 fetches, is kind of rough, but the mana ends up working out more often than not. The ability to play mantis rider / jace backed by kolaghan's command and crackling doom is stuuuupid. List incoming shortly.

Jeskai Midrange.dec, Built with Decked Builder
http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/113814

Haven't had any issues with the mana, really, with all the fetches I can get anything I want, normally just basics, so I can play stuff in turn 2-3, and turn on the tango lands later in the game. There are totally awkward draws though.

Currently debating cutting a Gideon for an extra Bloodstained Mire. If not, maybe another Gideon in the SB instead of Sarkhan.

Let me know your thoughts!

I've been back and forth on Abbot vs Hangarback Walker myself. Hangarback is easier to cast and the evasive tokens are great since I don't really have a lot of ways to push through creatures with my deck. On the other side, Abbot is great for hitting land drops, can trade with a lot more creatures while attacking and gets you more spells late in the game. My deck is more burn-oriented so Abbot might be better in mine, but it's hard to say. How's Gideon working with your deck? I built my deck to get under 3-mana removal so it's a different strategy, but I personally haven't liked much of the higher costed Jeskai cards. Plays a bit much into the Abzan/5-color decks' gameplans for my tastes.

draft2cxzov.png

I kinda want to play Deflecting Palm :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

But freaking how.

lol

47sZQWJ.png

My LGS said they only get 1 print run of Fat Packs, meaning they wouldn't get any more from WotC.

Is this the same case for big box stores (i.e. Target, Wal-Mart, etc.)?

Angry Grimace

I held on to my Atarka's Commands for one reason: it was obviously going to be good in Standard as the "mono red" card of choice. I am a genius.

Angry Grimace

I can't be the only one who feels like the level of play at these SCG events doesn't seem particularly high, even on Day 2.

I can't be the only one who feels like the level of play at these SCG events doesn't seem particularly high, even on Day 2.

Considering players are doing stuff like tapping Hangarback when it still has sickness, yeah, it's not particularly high(And I say this as someone who isn't that good myself.)

Angry Grimace

There's a 12 year old on camera playing a Jeskai deck with Crackling Doom. I'm going to assume that is God's Beard.

pigeon

Banned
Oh god why is the completely free Pokemon TCG game so much better than MTGO?

Man, the free M:tG clients are better than M:tGO.

WotC is just not good at digital products. It's true across their entire product line and even extends to, like, basic stuff like wikis and forums that should be impossible to screw up because they come out of a box.

I have no idea why they're so incapable on this front, but they're shockingly consistent about it.

Angry Grimace

Man, the free M:tG clients are better than M:tGO.

WotC is just not good at digital products. It's true across their entire product line and even extends to, like, basic stuff like wikis and forums that should be impossible to screw up because they come out of a box.

I have no idea why they're so incapable on this front, but they're shockingly consistent about it.

Okay, now you're just getting silly. The free clients aren't even close.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wait, there's a completely free. Where???

Google "Pokemon TCG online". Its "free 2 play" but there's actually no in game microtransactions, the only way to spend real money is to actually go out and buy real Pokemon packs and from what I can tell doing daily events to accrue the currency for in game packs doesn't seem too onerous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom