• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it'd be a mess. What would tie them all together? It's already difficult enough to design three colour cards. Four colour commander decks would be the proverbial jumped the shark moment.

Instead of the presence wouldn't the absence of a colour be the design orientation.

Like doing something that's the most opposite from the missing colour.

I'm just throwing random ideas here and not necessarily all they do.

• -G A commander that ETB shuffles away X lands from a player.
  • -R A commander with flash that makes every player sac a creature and get healed by the toughness.
  • -U no idea
  • -W players can't gain life whenever you'd lose life NAME deals that that much damage to himself instead. U/G NAME gets -1/+1 or +1/-1

I really like this one imo incorporates all 4 colours.

• -B Exile all Graveyards. XW return target creature with CMC X you own from Exile to the Battlefield return it to your hand EOT.

This one isn't bad either, lacking green though.

Man, I see how it is firemind. You're off the Christmas card list.

As for colors, I have always hated 3 color cards. In my opinion, they ruin the strongest element of Magic - the color pie. When you cram 3 colors together on a single card, something has to give. Siege Rhino is the alpha and omega example. It's a green card for sure. Big dumb creature with trample is super green. The life drain is a black ability. Why does a rhino suck life? Well, because we have to cram black on there.

Fine. But then you add white. What does white lend to the card? Not a damn thing. It's only white because this is a wedge set and a pushed card had to be wedge. In any set ever made this would have been a B/G card.

Wedges and shards suck.

it's a steppe creature, Rhinos should always have been predominately white.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

As for colors, I have always hated 3 color cards. In my opinion, they ruin the strongest element of Magic - the color pie. When you cram 3 colors together on a single card, something has to give. Siege Rhino is the alpha and omega example. It's a green card for sure. Big dumb creature with trample is super green. The life drain is a black ability. Why does a rhino suck life? Well, because we have to cram black on there.

Fine. But then you add white. What does white lend to the card? Not a damn thing. It's only white because this is a wedge set and a pushed card had to be wedge. In any set ever made this would have been a B/G card.

Wedges and shards suck.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Three color cards work as rare things. Khans had an okay balance although it still had a lot of "this is three colors because we want it aligned with this faction that's why" cards especially at lower rarities. Alara was just dumb, but I've talked enough about that

OnPoint

Wedges and shards suck.

I think the argument would be the life gain would be the white part, but since black does drain, it really does negate that.

Matriox

Because it'd be a mess. What would tie them all together? It's already difficult enough to design three colour cards. Four colour commander decks would be the proverbial jumped the shark moment.

That'd be a lame way to do it. I'm already slightly annoyed the FRF legends are being used as three colour commanders. No matter what you tell me, Tasigur is a predominantly black creature, Alesha is red, Yasova is green, Shu is blue and Daghatar is white. I like their designs mind. They're effective in bringing less restrictive mana costs to the table with cool abilities, but not only Sultai decks will play Tasigur. He's also played in straight U/B, Grixis, whathaveyou. For that reason they're not flavourful enough and EDH is all about flavour.

It might be a "lame" way to do it, but it is a way to make 4 color commanders without decimating the color pie. You can make them way more interesting than the one I made, it's just a basic example. I'd be cool with colorless legendary dudes that spit out nephilim tokens for their respective 4 colors lol.

Uncharted Realms: Nissa's Resolve

Well, this should largely just be a fight scene with Ob Nixilis, so maybe it won't be so ba--
For Zendikar.
First fucking line.

Anyway, it wasn't too terrible, since stuff actually happened, but it was pretty bland. This part of the story would have been much more interesting if it was told from Bob Nicholson's* perspective. As is, he's just yelling, "How did you get here?!" and "You die!" a lot, and he somehow knows Nahiri's name despite just calling her the Lithomancer in his previous chronological story.

One good thing is that they seem to be acknowledging that Nissa was a jerk, but it just amounts to Nissa saying that she's no longer that person. She talked a lot about how there was a part of herself that she was holding back which she had to unleash, which I assumed would be black magic, but it looks like it was just casting Giant Growth spells on herself or something (she just becomes stronger, not bigger).

She's able to beat Bob by reconnecting the Khalni Heart to Zendikar, and Ashaya the elemental pops up to punch Bob in the face, sending him blasting off again.

Also, the word "essence" is used a lot.

* This being Ob's name from the REAL origin story of Jace, where he's a high school nerd named Jason Bell who pines after the head cheerleader Liliana, despite her already dating jock Gary "Wild". Bob is the gym teacher.

EDIT: Oh, and official posting of the BoZ story events from the fat pack booklet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Get it right its Bobby Nixon, Bob is someone else in Magic.

Get it right its Bobby Nixon, Bob is someone else in Magic.

Ah right, my mistake. Bobby Nixon is the vice principal who is overly strict at school because he has a bad home life with his wife, Natalie Nixon (nee O'Mancer), who is cheating on him with foreigner Sorin Markov (*effort*).

The Technomancer

I mean, it says something that despite the writing I still do want to know what's going on in the story. Less this one than Khans, but I was super interested in both the Khans and Theros storylines.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Well, this should largely just be a fight scene with Ob Nixilis, so maybe it won't be so ba--

First fucking line.

Anyway, it wasn't too terrible, since stuff actually happened, but it was pretty bland. This part of the story would have been much more interesting if it was told from Bob Nicholson's* perspective. As is, he's just yelling, "How did you get here?!" and "You die!" a lot, and he somehow knows Nahiri's name despite just calling her the Lithomancer in his previous chronological story.

One good thing is that they seem to be acknowledging that Nissa was a jerk, but it just amounts to Nissa saying that she's no longer that person. She talked a lot about how there was a part of herself that she was holding back which she had to unleash, which I assumed would be black magic, but it looks like it was just casting Giant Growth spells on herself or something (she just becomes stronger, not bigger).

She's able to beat Bob by reconnecting the Khalni Heart to Zendikar, and Ashaya the elemental pops up to punch Bob in the face, sending him blasting off again.

* This being Ob's name from the REAL origin story of Jace, where he's a high school nerd named Jason Bell who pines after the head cheerleader Liliana, despite her already dating jock Gary "Wild". Bob is the gym teacher.

EDIT: Oh, and official posting of the BoZ story events from the fat pack booklet.

I don't think they are referencing Nissa being a racist jerk, just that she let the Eldrazi out when she told Sorin she wouldn't.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
sup homie

you been getting some juice lately?

ive been pumping iron like a straight g

feels good you know what im saying

I fell in love with your motherland. I wish to move there. What is the UK version of I dunno, Craigslist or whatever? How do your people find jobs?

Angry Grimace

Aren't checklands, painlands, fastlands, taintedlands and scrylands pretty universal? Fastlands are also known as scar lands but I've never heard anyone call any other duals as fast lands. Most others are just regular tapped duals.

Edit: personally, I find both names; tangolands and battle lands terrible. They are almost the opposite of fastlands, so late/lag/slow lands could work imo.
"Fastlands" and "Checklands" are absolutely not universal. "Scryland" might be if not for the fact that every one I've ever met calls them "Temples."

I've never heard of the Scars of Mirrodin lands being called anything other than "fastlands."

I've always referred to the "checklands" as "buddylands," however. That's the name that they were first introduced to me with.

Firemind

I fell in love with your motherland. I wish to move there. What is the UK version of I dunno, Craigslist or whatever? How do your people find jobs?
you think i'm a briton. aight.

There's a UK version of Craigslist. It depends where you want to settle, but wherever you might go, a social network is invaluable in finding proper jobs. Use your contacts, linkedin, facebook to sell yourself, your unique expertise and your past working experiences. Unless you have an English degree. Then you're proper fucked, mate.

Danielsan

Well, I fucked up. Ordered some singles for my black/red devoid aggro deck, only to forget to order the 1 Forerunner of Slaughter my deck was missing. :(

I also couldn't resist buying getting a few (5) more boosters along with the order. Could have done a lot worse, got a Sunken Hollow (non-foil), Ob Nixililis, Green Warden of Murasa, Felidar Sovereign and Angelic Captain. No Forerunner in the packs though...

Sliver

Alright guys I could use a pointer or two. I've played a couple hours of Magic 2015 on Steam, and played a single game in person with a friends deck.

I want to build my own deck, preferably for as little money as possible. What should I buy? My buddy said an intro pack is good, or just wait until we do a draft night? I just wanna open some card packs and see what I get.

Alright guys I could use a pointer or two. I've played a couple hours of Magic 2015 on Steam, and played a single game in person with a friends deck.

I want to build my own deck, preferably for as little money as possible. What should I buy? My buddy said an intro pack is good, or just wait until we do a draft night? I just wanna open some card packs and see what I get.

Magic Duels (also on Steam) has deckbuilding, with a limited card pool and some additional restrictions. It's F2P, but you could easily get away with spending no money at all.

If you want physical cards, and you aren't too experienced with deck building, then yeah, get an Intro Pack. It even comes with booster packs. I'd hold off on drafting until you get a bit more experience.

I mean, it says something that despite the writing I still do want to know what's going on in the story. Less this one than Khans, but I was super interested in both the Khans and Theros storylines.
Khans and Theros look like A Song of Ice and Fire compared to Origins/Zendikar's Nickelodeon-level bullshit.

The Technomancer

Khans and Theros look like A Song of Ice and Fire compared to Origins/Zendikar's Nickelodeon-level bullshit.

I mean part of the problem is that its not that...interesting conceptually? Like, "fight against the Eldrazi" is just a war story. And not even as interesting as the Phyrexian invasion of Mirrodin

Firemind

They should have gone full horror with the eldrazi. Like straight up facehugging Gideon.

1BB
Destroy target colored creature or planeswalker. Put a 1/1 eldrazi spawn token onto the battlefield under your control.

Instead we got a lame Hero's Downfall with Awaken.

Angry Grimace

They should have gone full horror with the eldrazi. Like straight up facehugging Gideon.

1BB
Destroy target colored creature or planeswalker. Put a 1/1 eldrazi spawn token onto the battlefield under your control.

Instead we got a lame Hero's Downfall with Awaken.

Are we playing 1950s Magic: the Gathering

Firemind

Could be worse.

Image.ashx

Ashodin

First fucking line.

I liked it, even if Nissa goes the green equivalent of super saiyan.

Angry Grimace

Zada is a bad card because all it really does is make a Rally effect except you could just play a rally guy. Swinging in unopposed with Zada and friends on Become Immense mana sounds like Christmas.

Zada is a bad card because all it really does is make a Rally effect except you could just play a rally guy. Swinging in unopposed with Zada and friends on Become Immense mana sounds like Christmas.
It's not just Become Immense though, you can accomplish a similarly stupid combo with any number of pump spells, though Become Immense is king

And I know it's magical Christmas land, but we do have Santa Lands in the format.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Those were in the sideboard that I forgot to post.

It's the stupidest deck ever, but I just want Zada to have a good shell.

I want to build a Goblin token deck that curves into Zada, then just Goblin Grenade everyone.

EDIT: Wait, Goblin Grenade doesn't target, does it? Damn.

Angry Grimace

It's not just Become Immense though, you can accomplish a similarly stupid combo with any number of pump spells, though Become Immense is king

And I know it's magical Christmas land, but we do have Santa Lands in the format.

No, its Christmas land because you have to have Zada, mana and another card in your hand vs. just mana and a single card to pull off a Rally combo.

ultron87

I want to build a Goblin token deck that curves into Zada, then just Goblin Grenade everyone.

EDIT: Wait, Goblin Grenade doesn't target, does it? Damn.

Well, it targets, just not the way you'd need it to for Zada to work.

I think the closest you can get to this effect is Zada + Arcbond + something doing damage.

Angry Grimace

Goblin tokens + zada + sphinx's tutelage + refocus

Thats the deck I want to play.

This seems just worse than Defiant Strike. Sphinx's Tutelage sounds like about the worst thing you could do with all those cards and creatures.

hort

Neo Member
This seems just worse than Defiant Strike. Sphinx's Tutelage sounds like about the worst thing you could do with all those cards and creatures.

Yea, defiant strike is the better card but requires going for a third color.

It's not a good deck by any means, but it sounds fun!

Angry Grimace

Also, WOTC please take Opposition out of the Cube. Dumb, unfun card in every way. Playing any opponent with more than 3 creatures and Opposition out is just a waste of time, you might as well concede and go to the local bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom